Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Blackburn Rovers (H) 24th Feb, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Re: Blackburn Rovers (H) 24th Feb, 3pm

Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:50 pm

45 minutes of dross ... then we scored! :lol:

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:05 pm

Why on Earth isn’t Ngoy getting more game time? All reports of his signing pointed out he’s a much better prospect than Shaibu, both loans and I’ve been more impressed with Ngoy. Makes no sense whatsoever.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:07 pm

For those interested in the egg-carrying fraternity, final score from across the water was Ireland 37 Wales 27

No substitutions to start the 2nd half ..... (yet)

Blues seem to be sinking ever-deeper into the brown stuff ........

Equaliser at Highbury - Fleetwood Town 1 M K Dons 1

Sloppies keep going .... Charlton Athletic 0 Shrewsbury Town 1

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:20 pm

Blackburn Rovers substitution, 61 minutes. Do I detect a bus being parked?? (Danny Graham off, so he won't get his hat-trick)

Walsall substitution, 63 min - any possibility of playing 2 strikers, nothing to lose at this point ...... :wink:
(EDIT >>>>>> Nope - Ngoy on for Shaibu)

Portsmouth 0 Blackpool 2 :shock:

Bristol Rovers 0 Scunthorpe Utd 1

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:27 pm

67 minutes, and Maz Kouhyar replaces Joe Edwards

Charlton Athletic 0 Sloppies 2

Bury 2 Gillingham 1

Peterborough Utd 0 AFC Wimbledon 1

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:42 pm

Walsall yellow card, 84 minutes ....... George Dobson, probably taking another one for the team

Walsall 2nd yellow card - Julien Ngoy

Peterborough Utd 1 AFC Wimbledon 1

Full time 1-2. We had more shots on target, 5 shots blocked, but we couldn't put them away..... still, we weren't expecting to win this one, were we?? :wink:

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:04 pm

Well we certainly didn't disgrace ourselves, i think Blackburn will walk away thinking they were lucky there :)

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:06 pm

First half it was all Blackburn and obvious gulf in class between the two. It was one of those just waiting for them to score games and seems the team sent out were of that mentality.

Their front two are championship class, the way Amstrong took that overhit cross down beautifully for the first goal indicates that.

Anyway from thinking this would be a 3/4-0 game the goal completely changed things.

Second half Blackburn barely had an attack and seemed content just to play out the 2-1.

Ball wouldn't run and a few wrong decisions in attack, particularly from Kouyhar. Also occasions when Devlin could've got an early cross in but delayed and lost the ball...before winning it back with a tackle and then the process was repeated. Guess that's a problem with just one upfront, there's never enough in the box for an early cross.

N'Goy gives more in the air than Shabibu so I would expect him to start on Tuesday. The ball sticks much more with him upfront.

Dobson was good and got MOTM, occasioningly though he can't move his feet quite quick enough to get a shot away.

This loss won't define things. Hopefully can pick up a few draws at least in the next run of games.

Gripper
Glitterati

Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:24 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:First half it was all Blackburn and obvious gulf in class between the two. It was one of those just waiting for them to score games and seems the team sent out were of that mentality.

Their front two are championship class, the way Amstrong took that overhit cross down beautifully for the first goal indicates that.

Anyway from thinking this would be a 3/4-0 game the goal completely changed things.

Second half Blackburn barely had an attack and seemed content just to play out the 2-1.

Ball wouldn't run and a few wrong decisions in attack, particularly from Kouyhar. Also occasions when Devlin could've got an early cross in but delayed and lost the ball...before winning it back with a tackle and then the process was repeated. Guess that's a problem with just one upfront, there's never enough in the box for an early cross.

N'Goy gives more in the air than Shabibu so I would expect him to start on Tuesday. The ball sticks much more with him upfront.

Dobson was good and got MOTM, occasioningly though he can't move his feet quite quick enough to get a shot away.

This loss won't define things. Hopefully can pick up a few draws at least in the next run of games.

Good summary mate.

Dobson was great once again. Just hope he can conjure up some goal contribution as it would make him much more rounded.

Maz Kouyar had a good game and some impact. Hope he can kick on.

The Stoke Loanee just offers so much more than the lad from Brentford...keep him in the team.

Oztumer was a passenger once more. Probably already got his deal lined up elsewhere and he’s struggling to impress at the mo.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:33 pm

Ozzy wasn't that bad. Still lively, always layed the ball off quality and had a good free kick tipped over.

I'm sure he'll win a game or two before the end of the season which is critical.

Gripper
Glitterati

Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:42 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:Ozzy wasn't that bad. Still lively, always layed the ball off quality and had a good free kick tipped over.

I'm sure he'll win a game or two before the end of the season which is critical.

That’s why I always say it’s so hard to drop him...realistically he can win a game in 2 seconds of brilliance...that’s not really a common theme throughout this squad.

Hopefully he can help us over the line and I’ll wish him well on his way. Hopefully no singing of sign the contract from the fans etc.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:50 pm

First half we gave them too much respect. We were woeful and deserved to be 2-0. Goal came out of nowhere for us. Second half was scrappy until they took Graham off. They had nobody to hold the ball up and we took control 20 minutes. Those 20 minutes were excellent. We play like that for 60/70 minutes and we’ll win most games. Unfortunately Whitney doesn’t set up right for us to play like that from the off (Whitney OUT). Far too negative up until 60 minutes. Ngoy certainly changed the game for us when he came on.

Leahy was cack. Ngoy and Morris were decent. Rest we’re below average to average.

Chips and curry sauce were excellent for once.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:54 pm

We paid a heavy price for a very nervous and poor 30 minutes...we were a mess defensively against the quality attackers they have however we came back well after half time and on another day might well have got a draw.
I presume Ngoy did not start because he had been ill but he made a difference and if the match goes ahead I would start him on Tuesday. Shaibu looked very inexperienced today which is understandable because he is. Dobson had a fine second half and some of the link up play when Kouyhar came on was good until we reached the box where as others have said we held on to the ball too long. I hope the players will gain confidence from the second half performance as we continue with a run of difficult matches.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:56 pm

Way too much respect shown first half. Rolled over and let them tickle our tummy. Better second half but by then damages was done.

Whitney out, he ain't learning and never will.

Walsallnil

Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:06 pm

The game turned when they hit the bar at 0-2 and Our goal just before half time. We were much more positive in the second half and pressed hard, but oh dear, our final ball just lacks class too often. The subs in the second half made us stronger and more of a threat. IF Whitless knew what he was doing when he picks his team we might have got a point today. Anyway, no more for me now until next season, hope those there will give the lads a cheer from me, especially my chum Walsallone.

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:12 pm

I like Dobson

Probably the only player Blackburn would take

Credit to whoever got him into the club

Sadsfan
Glitterati

Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:14 pm

Well, I enjoyed that second half. As others have said we we awful for the first 30 minutes. One thing that really annoyed me was the back four constantly hoofing the ball forward, when we actually got it on the deck we opened them up. Chambers time is up, we needed a midfielder with legs to compliment Dobson and carry the ball forward. Maz looked useful when he came on but he needs to shoot when he has the chance - lottery ticket and all that.

Shaibu cannot play the lone striker role, if you are going to play him I think he needs to be in a front 2.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:30 pm

Thanks WALSALLNIL....I will seek to keep you informed and entertained whilst you recover from your operation! Hopefully we will see you next season when we might have a better Manager.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:33 pm

Sadsfan wrote:Well, I enjoyed that second half. As others have said we we awful for the first 30 minutes. One thing that really annoyed me was the back four constantly hoofing the ball forward, when we actually got it on the deck we opened them up. Chambers time is up, we needed a midfielder with legs to compliment Dobson and carry the ball forward. Maz looked useful when he came on but he needs to shoot when he has the chance - lottery ticket and all that.

Shaibu cannot play the lone striker role, if you are going to play him I think he needs to be in a front 2.

If anything Maz needs to learn when to pass. I can't get it out of my head as it was in injury time but he's running towards the box and Leahy is busting his gut to get into the box on the overlap.

Simple little pass that someone like Ozzy would make 9/10 and Leahy can either get a cross in or have a shot himself. Instead Kouyhar tried to get through another defender and lost the ball and that was it.

Thing with Chambers is he reads the game well. Can usually anticipate when he needs to drop back to cut balls out going towards the defence. He also passed some nice forward passes in the second half to the wings.

Even at 37 he's still a good midfielder at this level but of course he will eventually hit the wall.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:05 pm

chambers has been a fantastic servant to the club, and to have to play under Whit's and still put in some fantastic performances he deserves a medal. but i fear that this is probably his last season for us, and at 37 i don't think that he will even drop into the lower leagues.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:10 pm

Jut got in. Result as expected by most. Reports seem to indicate a better second half.
Posh game on Tuesday would seem to be at risk if the weather forecast is correct. A re-arranged date later on would be a better prospect when their play-off place push will be dead and buried.
Just looked again at the mid March fixtures...does not make good reading, we have some stinkers on the horizon.
Lets hope we get some points out of the matches against Rochdale at home and Oldham away.
Where was Bakayoko? Does anyone know? Anyone know the distribution of fan numbers? My guess is, that Blackburn fans outnumbered us.

PT
Site Addict

Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:24 pm

Really enjoyed that. We looked dead after thirty minutes but the goal gave us impetus for a great second half.

Couvelier obviously isn’t fit given the state of the game when Edwards went off. Would have been a no-brainier if we had a fit Flo.

Anyway - good game. Blackburn will go up and we should stay up.

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:27 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:Jut got in. Result as expected by most. Reports seem to indicate a better second half.
Posh game on Tuesday would seem to be at risk if the weather forecast is correct. A re-arranged date later on would be a better prospect when their play-off place push will be dead and buried.
Just looked again at the mid March fixtures...does not make good reading, we have some stinkers on the horizon.
Lets hope we get some points out of the matches against Rochdale at home and Oldham away.
Where was Bakayoko? Does anyone know? Anyone know the distribution of fan numbers? My guess is, that Blackburn fans outnumbered us.

Bakayoko was unwell.

streetender

Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:34 pm

Strange afternoon - went from wincing at how outclassed we were and fully expecting a 5 or 6-0 defeat , to actually being pretty proud of the second half performance when we really dominated , and also out-battled them.

We looked over-awed for the first 30 minutes but somehow clawed our way back in to make a game of it.

Roberts 7 - no blame
Devlin 5 - battled hard but his ball control was worse than Mark Rees
Leahy 6
Guthrie 6
Fizzy Water 6

All the defence looked shaky first half

Chambers 6 poor first , excellent 2nd
Dobson 8 - agree with MOTM ; lots of drive and battling. Shame Ngoy couldn't control his lovely through ball late on
Morris 6 awful 1st ; much better 2nd
Edwards 6 - the only outlet first half ; hope his injury not too bad

Oztumer 6 but poor for his standards ; his body language was very poor first half, lots of shrugging of shoulders
Shaibu 4 looked lost

Ngoy and Kouyar both looked good when they came on

Actually pretty disappointed we lost that in the end. Good to hear the crowd wake up in the 2nd half; there was even singing where me and my lad were in the Family Stand ; nice after listening to Blackburn's incessant northern din for the first half.

Ont to the next one ; every point still precious

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:50 pm

PT wrote:Really enjoyed that. We looked dead after thirty minutes but the goal gave us impetus for a great second half.

Couvelier obviously isn’t fit given the state of the game when Edwards went off. Would have been a no-brainier if we had a fit Flo.

But wasn't he on the bench? if so then surely Whit's would only put him there if he could have bought him on?

PT
Site Addict

Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:57 pm

chunkster wrote:
PT wrote:Really enjoyed that. We looked dead after thirty minutes but the goal gave us impetus for a great second half.

But wasn't he on the bench? if so then surely Whit's would only put him there if he could have bought him on?

He was indeed on the bench. A flowing Flo would have been ideal in that 70 minute situation. But alas, he doesn’t flow anymore which is a great shame as he was immense in the 1-0 win against Scunthorpe before picking up another knock.

I don’t get why he’s on the bench if there’s no chance of him coming on in a game and situation like today.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:07 pm

Doubt Edwards will make Tuesday (or even next weekend if it's off) so Flo will be in line to start then.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:09 pm

PT wrote:
chunkster wrote:

He was indeed on the bench. A flowing Flo would have been ideal in that 70 minute situation. But alas, he doesn’t flow anymore which is a great shame as he was immense in the 1-0 win against Scunthorpe before picking up another knock.

I don’t get why he’s on the bench if there’s no chance of him coming on in a game and situation like today.

Totally agree PT, yet another reason to question his managerial qualities :| i just hope we stay up, which i think we will tbh, there is no way Bonser will get rid of him this season, but we will be a better prospect to a new manager next season while in league one.

ChopperWFC
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:14 pm

Agree with most of the posts tonight. One thing that hasn't been said however is in the second half we put our foot in so much more and won lots of tackles. That gets the fans and the players up for it and it's what I wanted to see from the kick off but we stood off them far too much. Also after hoofing to the channels so much with no success it's amazing how much more effective and exciting we are when we pass the bloody ball !

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:24 pm

ChopperWFC wrote:Agree with most of the posts tonight. One thing that hasn't been said however is in the second half we put our foot in so much more and won lots of tackles. That gets the fans and the players up for it and it's what I wanted to see from the kick off but we stood off them far too much. Also after hoofing to the channels so much with no success it's amazing how much more effective and exciting we are when we pass the bloody ball !
When you watch your team play week in week out, sometimes even when you lose, if they have put in 110% and you can see that they have given the best that they could, then it is enough.I think that most of us thought that we would lose today, but sometimes it is HOW you lose, and i know i only listened on ifollow for my own reasons, but i was enthralled for most of the second half :)

PreviousNext
Return to 2017-18 Season