Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Blackburn Rovers (H) 24th Feb, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
UTS Legend

Re: Blackburn Rovers (H) 24th Feb, 3pm

Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:45 am

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:27 am

I love how there was “too much respect” paid in a half we conceded two to the team top of the league.

I’d argue not enough respect was paid considering that. But hey, I’d like us to play like we are one goal behind with 20 minutes to go with a team sitting back at home all the time too.

Whitters
Site Addict

Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:11 am

Thanks Guest.
They loved attacking our left didn't they?

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:07 am

There is no doubt that against a quality Blackburn team we looked the better side in the second half and they just couldn't live with us. The only thing that changed was the normal half time team talk and one would expect most fans to credit the manager for the change in performance.

Personally, I cannot think of any other reason for it.

ToeJoe Jnr
UTS Regular

Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:05 am

Whitters wrote:

Thanks Guest.
They loved attacking our left didn't they?

No doubt did their research on Luke “liability” Leahy.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:13 am

Optimistic wrote:There is no doubt that against a quality Blackburn team we looked the better side in the second half and they just couldn't live with us. The only thing that changed was the normal half time team talk and one would expect most fans to credit the manager for the change in performance.

If that's the case will you criticise the manager for the first half performance?

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:26 pm

Mazza01 wrote:
Optimistic wrote:There is no doubt that against a quality Blackburn team we looked the better side in the second half and they just couldn't live with us. The only thing that changed was the normal half time team talk and one would expect most fans to credit the manager for the change in performance.

If that's the case will you criticise the manager for the first half performance?

If the manager sent the team out for the first half and told the defense to panic every time they got the ball and to hoof it down the field of course I will. We have a lot of young players and they don't want to make mistakes but as shown in the second half we also have a decent side in there as well.

I am just fed up of people keep blaming the manager when we don't always know the facts. Under normal circumstances I would have started with Ngoy but for all we know he might not have had 90 minutes in him so to bring him on when legs were getting tired would then make sense. Who knows what happens behind the scenes we are just the paying audience, we don't write the script.

Overall I think we are getting much better and as bad as the first half was it looked like the teams had swapped shirts at half time.

It's only my opinion Mazza and I respect that others have different ones.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:39 pm

Of course you can’t :roll: Maybe it was because they took their best player Graham off? They had no decent outlet up top to take the pressure off. After that we played very well for 20 minutes. That’s it.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:43 pm

scott_powell wrote:

Of course you can’t :roll: Maybe it was because they took their best player Graham off? They had no decent outlet up top to take the pressure off. After that we played very well for 20 minutes. That’s it.

Team were playing well straight from half time I thought regardless of when the Graham sub was made.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:08 pm

Was impressed with Dobson, Leahy cannot defend and Shaibu is just god awful, cannot jump, cannot control and hold the ball up and no desire to get onto loose balls, get rid.

It's a good job they were only in 2nd gear in the 1st half or it would have been goal fest, 2nd half was at times a joy to watch.

Maz can be a good player just needs to learn when is the right time to pass or shoot rather than pretend he is Maradonna.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:10 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:
scott_powell wrote:

Team were playing well straight from half time I thought regardless of when the Graham sub was made.

I thought we were a little better but Graham going off was the catalyst for us taking control for that short period. After that the game just became scrappy.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:20 pm

Optimistic wrote:
Mazza01 wrote:

If the manager sent the team out for the first half and told the defense to panic every time they got the ball and to hoof it down the field of course I will. We have a lot of young players and they don't want to make mistakes but as shown in the second half we also have a decent side in there as well.

I am just fed up of people keep blaming the manager when we don't always know the facts. Under normal circumstances I would have started with Ngoy but for all we know he might not have had 90 minutes in him so to bring him on when legs were getting tired would then make sense. Who knows what happens behind the scenes we are just the paying audience, we don't write the script.

Overall I think we are getting much better and as bad as the first half was it looked like the teams had swapped shirts at half time.

No I fully respect what you are saying but me and you view things from 2 different angles , but it's a game of opinions if we all held the same it would be boring..

For me though I fully expected an improved 2nd half performance especially being the home team. The problem is the game was gone by that point.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:33 pm

Mazza01 wrote:
Optimistic wrote:
Mazza01 wrote:

No I fully respect what you are saying but me and you view things from 2 different angles , but it's a game of opinions if we all held the same it would be boring..

For me though I fully expected an improved 2nd half performance especially being the home team. The problem is the game was gone by that point.

The way we set up was an absolute shambles. First half we let Blackburn control it. We were far too cautious and far too respectful. That is Whitney’s fault and as you say by that point the game was gone. I do think we deserved a draw given the second half performance Though. That was a combination of us playing better and Blackburn losing their way. Had ngoy scored that 1 on 1 we could have been celebrating victory. Blackburn were abysmal once Graham came off but we just weren’t good enough to capitalise.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:30 pm

Agree with all that Scott, also take into account that Blackburn were missing key players Dack being one.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:57 pm

scott_powell wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:
scott_powell wrote:

I thought we were a little better but Graham going off was the catalyst for us taking control for that short period. After that the game just became scrappy.

for t
Blackburn have other good forward players, Adam Armstrong is proven at this level and as I said before superb control before crossing for the first goal. Dom Samuel who came on for Graham has scored a decent amount for Gillingham and Coventry at this level, he's someone I'd like to take a look at next season.

This idea that Graham goes off and Blackburn are little better than a mid table outfit is a bit amusing.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:59 pm

Mazza01 wrote:Agree with all that Scott, also take into account that Blackburn were missing key players Dack being one.

They've lost once in the league since October 21st and that was to a Plymouth team away on an amazing run.

They are a very good team with confidence flowing. Generally those teams come flying out of the traps from kick off. It was clear though the tactics were to keep it tight first half and stay in the game. Whether that was the best approach from Whittney is open to debate given how the first half panned out.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:50 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:
scott_powell wrote:

for t
Blackburn have other good forward players, Adam Armstrong is proven at this level and as I said before superb control before crossing for the first goal. Dom Samuel who came on for Graham has scored a decent amount for Gillingham and Coventry at this level, he's someone I'd like to take a look at next season.

This idea that Graham goes off and Blackburn are little better than a mid table outfit is a bit amusing.

What on earth are you talking about? When did I say that? I know they have a very good team, too good for this level. I am basing my judgements from yesterday’s game and how it planned out. Graham being subbed helped us a lot. After he left the field they had nobody who could take the pressure off and properly hold up the ball. That’s just how the game went, on another day it may have gone differently.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:01 pm

Graham's a championship striker but Walsall were on top before he went off. I just looked at their recent results and they won 2-1 at Portsmouth and he only came on as a sub in the 82nd minute. Plymouth away he was subbed at half time.

I have some sympathy with Walsall one here....I know it isn't a great season and many want Whitney out but to dismiss every decent win (Donny) or every decent performance (second half) because either the opposition is rubbish or players are getting subbed off on the hour mark is getting a little tiresome.

I would look at yesterday's game and say if Walsall can perform to that standard in another 6-7 games this season that should be another 15 points on the board so comfortable survival and opportunity to push on to try to sneak into the top half.

If that dosen't happen that sums up Whitney's tenure, can't build on positive performances and decent little runs.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:53 am

SoccerHQ wrote:Graham's a championship striker but Walsall were on top before he went off. I just looked at their recent results and they won 2-1 at Portsmouth and he only came on as a sub in the 82nd minute. Plymouth away he was subbed at half time.

I have some sympathy with Walsall one here....I know it isn't a great season and many want Whitney out but to dismiss every decent win (Donny) or every decent performance (second half) because either the opposition is rubbish or players are getting subbed off on the hour mark is getting a little tiresome.

I would look at yesterday's game and say if Walsall can perform to that standard in another 6-7 games this season that should be another 15 points on the board so comfortable survival and opportunity to push on to try to sneak into the top half.

If that dosen't happen that sums up Whitney's tenure, can't build on positive performances and decent little runs.

So? I’m basing my opinion from this one game. I don’t care when Graham came on or off against other teams. Him coming off and Ngoy coming on were triggers for our dominant spell. Up until then I’d say we were a bit more competitive and actually winning the occasional second ball, that’s it. After the Graham sub we were winning most second balls and playing with a little more freedom from the back due to Graham not occupying our defenders. They sat back a little and we were able to attack a bit. It was obvious that without him they were less effective. That doesn’t make them shite without him, it just means in this game, you know the one against just Walsall on 24th February 2018, they were less effective.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:36 am

El_Nombre wrote:I love how there was “too much respect” paid in a half we conceded two to the team top of the league.

I’d argue not enough respect was paid considering that. But hey, I’d like us to play like we are one goal behind with 20 minutes to go with a team sitting back at home all the time too.

Well Dobson literally said "We gave them too much respect first half" in his interview with BBC WM so I think people are absolutely right to say that.

Previous
Return to 2017-18 Season