Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Gillingham (A) Feb 17th, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
chunkster
Site Addict

Re: Gillingham (A) Feb 17th, 3pm

Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:18 pm

I was a bit pessimistic when i saw the team sheet, the formula with Baka up front has been tried and tested without much success, but it looks like the new boy fitzwater and the addition of Devlin may be making the difference?. Good point that :)

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:24 pm

chunkster wrote:I was a bit pessimistic when i saw the team sheet, the formula with Baka up front has been tried and tested without much success, but it looks like the new boy fitzwater and the addition of Devlin may be making the difference?. Good point that :)

Devlin should've started more games, Kinsella is average personified and not a RB.

Hopefully he'll keep the shirt for the run in.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:25 pm

Just got back in, after an afternoon NOT involving footy and it's been a great relief!

Good point earned, sounds as if that was an uninspired dreary game, but we'll see from the reports of those brave souls who went. Looks like Baka was his usual self, when will Whitney realise what a complete waste of space he actually is?

Good that Kinsella was left out and Devlin kept his spot, we're a better side with that combo.

PT
Site Addict

Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:03 pm

Good point..

I don’t get the persistence with Baka at this stage. He was dropped on Tuesday and we were three up at half time. We had a £3m - £5m striker with us most of the season and rarely could he oust Baka.

I think there is a decent centre forward in Baka. He’ll be learning all the time. But right now our imperative has to be the results required for safety. Once we’ve got to 52 points we should only play our own lads. But up to that point it should be eleven who are best equipped to win the game and I’m not sure that includes him just now.

ShyTallKnight
Glitterati

Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:09 pm

Always said Witless was an average manager.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:16 pm

PT wrote:Good point..

I don’t get the persistence with Baka at this stage. He was dropped on Tuesday and we were three up at half time. We had a £3m - £5m striker with us most of the season and rarely could he oust Baka.

I think there is a decent centre forward in Baka. He’ll be learning all the time. But right now our imperative has to be the results required for safety. Once we’ve got to 52 points we should only play our own lads. But up to that point it should be eleven who are best equipped to win the game and I’m not sure that includes him just now.

N'goy was ill today so one option was gone.

I was surprised Shabiu was benched but maybe with his age and lack of professional experienced it was thought two games in 4 days would be too much to start. He did play well on Tuesday so I'd start him v Blackburn.

What other options, playing Ozzy as a false 9. Well he's not in good form atm either.

Baka isn't in the team for goals as he hardly scores any. Whitney loves "energy" and "hardwork" and in his eyes Baka provides that so that's why he starts more often than not.

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:20 pm

Great point IMO - I’d have taken that before KO for sure

Last 4 games is 2 wins and 2 draws so gotta be pleased with that

Well done to those that made the trip - we’ll done all

UTS

PT
Site Addict

Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:28 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:

I was surprised Shabiu was benched but maybe with his age and lack of professional experienced it was thought two games in 4 days would be too much to start. He did play well on Tuesday so I'd start him v Blackburn.

What other options, playing Ozzy as a false 9. Well he's not in good form atm either.

Baka isn't in the team for goals as he hardly scores any. Whitney loves "energy" and "hardwork" and in his eyes Baka provides that so that's why he starts more often than not.

I agree that your reason for benching Shaibu was probably Whitney’s rationale. But unless he was carrying a knock, that decision is that of a physio - making a call based on “levels” in training.

The football decision surely had to be to start with the eleven who had us three up at the break in the week.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:58 pm

PT wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:

I agree that your reason for benching Shaibu was probably Whitney’s rationale. But unless he was carrying a knock, that decision is that of a physio - making a call based on “levels” in training.

The football decision surely had to be to start with the eleven who had us three up at the break in the week.

I agree. It’s one of the big frustrations with Whitney. He’s a stubborn bugger. He clearly convinces himself on his team selection that it’ll work and then refuses to change it unless he’s forced to by injuries or suspensions. It’s the same in game where he’ll keep everything the same until things really start going down the crapper when he starts throwing on subs as a last resort.

With Baka, Whitney seems to be convinced of he keeps playing him eventually he’ll get a goal or 2 and then that’ll spark his confidence and all of a sudden he’ll start bagging loads. Unfortunately the opposite happens. The more games Baka plays without scoring it affects his confidence. He also gets more desperate and starts snatching at shots and starts diving in picking up yellows and the red he got a couple of months back.

Whitney insisting on sticking him in every game is just heaping the pressure on him.

When we had Roberts & Agyei they were both better than Baka but he still insisted on playing Baka mostly until he got himself suspended.

I’d also mention that whilst there are a few idiots that directly boo Baka the majority of booing is against Whitney’s insistence on making substitutions which involve him staying on when not playing well. As well as exposing him to that Whitney himself has also painted a picture that fans are booing him directly which will also do his confidence no good.

I agree we need to be playing our best players right now till we’re safe. Start with the better strikers and if need be bring Baka on towards the end of games as a fresh pair of legs. He may even find it easier to pick up a few goals against tired defenders and it’ll improve his confidence.

Gripper
Glitterati

Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:17 pm

Baka got 10 goals last season didn’t he?

He’s on 8 so far for this campaign so should hopefully reach 10 again. I rate him highly, but I’m not sure how such a goal return makes him a waste of space?

Unreal comments....yet again.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:33 pm

Gripper wrote:Baka got 10 goals last season didn’t he?

He’s on 8 so far for this campaign so should hopefully reach 10 again. I rate him highly, but I’m not sure how such a goal return makes him a waste of space?

Weren't half of those in the Johnstone Paint trophy?

He's sort of on Grigg league returns at the moment pre Grigg 2012 season. Can he go on and have a stand out season. Maybe but not this year.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:56 pm

I’d take the point but hearing it was a pretty dire performance.

PT
Site Addict

Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:57 pm

I agree with you. He isn’t a waste of space. Far from it.

I just believe he’s been overplayed this season and we have less points than we could as a result.

I’m also not sure there is anyone on the staff who can help take him to the next level. Which is criminal to be honest.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:13 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:

He's sort of on Grigg league returns at the moment pre Grigg 2012 season. Can he go on and have a stand out season. Maybe but not this year.

This season:
5 league goals
1 FA Cup
1 Carabao Cup
1 Checkatrade Trophy

Last season:
4 league goals
6 Checkatrade Trophy

And I don’t think anyone has said he’s a waste of space but he’s consistently spent the season being 3rd best striker but always seems to be 1st picked.
He just needs to be protected by the management team not forced into every team selection then crossing their fingers he comes good!

Gripper
Glitterati

Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:44 pm

SaddlerSteve wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:

This season:
5 league goals
1 FA Cup
1 Carabao Cup
1 Checkatrade Trophy

Last season:
4 league goals
6 Checkatrade Trophy

And I don’t think anyone has said he’s a waste of space but he’s consistently spent the season being 3rd best striker but always seems to be 1st picked.
He just needs to be protected by the management team not forced into every team selection then crossing their fingers he comes good!

Unfortunately about 10 posts above this one he is called a waste of space mate.

UTS Legend

Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:09 pm

Did he not score as long ago as Tuesday?

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:22 pm

SaddlerSteve wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:

This season:
5 league goals
1 FA Cup
1 Carabao Cup
1 Checkatrade Trophy

Last season:
4 league goals
6 Checkatrade Trophy

the comment was from AM so it doesn't count :lol: :wink:
Last edited by chunkster on Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UTS Legend

Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:27 pm

This thing with Bakayoko and Tyler Roberts - the multi-million-pound striker. Half of the time Roberts was about to play for Wales U21, was playing for them, or had just played for them. Then he was injured, or being kept injury free for Leeds. Agyei wasn't that good, apparently.

So what's a Whitney to do? Pick Baka.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:34 pm

Guest wrote:This thing with Bakayoko and Tyler Roberts - the multi-million-pound striker. Half of the time Roberts was about to play for Wales U21, was playing for them, or had just played for them. Then he was injured, or being kept injury free for Leeds. Agyei wasn't that good, apparently.

So what's a Whitney to do? Pick Baka.
Well keeping him injury free for leeds worked out well

Tyler Roberts: Leeds United striker facing spell out with training injury ...
www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43060470

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:51 pm

scott_powell wrote:I’d take the point but hearing it was a pretty dire performance.

Yeah. The first 'Witney Out' wasn't heard till the 38th minute, and the 'f*** off Bonser' fizzled out in under twenty seconds. Poor effort from the travelling lads.

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:45 pm

scott_powell wrote:I’d take the point but hearing it was a pretty dire performance.

I knew we could rely on you to notice that we kept a clean sheet and put a positive slant on it.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:53 pm

Optimistic wrote:

I knew we could rely on you to notice that we kept a clean sheet and put a positive slant on it.

What?

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:54 pm

Optimistic wrote:

I am very happy with a point away at a team that have seen a bit of revival over the past few weeks :) but scott has a point in the fact that it still wasn't very attractive football to watch as a paying customer that want's entertaining for their money :|

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:00 pm

chunkster wrote:
Optimistic wrote:

I am very happy with a point away at a team that have seen a bit of revival over the past few weeks :) but scott has a point in the fact that it still wasn't very attractive football to watch as a paying customer that want's entertaining for their money :|

Just going off what people are telling me. It’s a good point but absolute dogshite to watch.

Surrey Saddler
Glitterati

Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:15 am

I went! Only one thing to say......Rubbish!

chunkster
Site Addict

Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:15 am

Surrey Saddler wrote:I went! Only one thing to say......Rubbish!
Well there you go then optimistic :| from someone who went. spent probably the best part of £100 for the day, his team got a point but was bored to tears and didn't get value for money :| now that is ok if you live and breathe WFC and results and the club are the B all and end all of your existence. But what if you watch your team to be entertained?

UTS Legend

Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:07 am

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:38 am

Guest wrote:48 seconds of the entertainment.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1smja_A ... p=drivesdk

48 seconds of something.

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:11 am

chunkster wrote:
Optimistic wrote:

Yeah I know chunkster, but he's always winding me up so I thought he was fair game. :)

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:27 am

What did people expect from a Gillingham v Walsall mid-table non-event on a cold February afternoon?

We got an away point. The game sounded crap. We're going to have some crap games. They can't all be 3-3.

PreviousNext
Return to 2017-18 Season