Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Gillingham (A) Feb 17th, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Gillingham (A) Feb 17th, 3pm

Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:38 am

"Vanguard of Liberty, ye men of Kent,
Ye children of a soil that doth advance
Her haughty brow against the coast of France,
Now is the time to prove your hardiment!"

(William Wordsworth - "To the men of Kent")

Gillingham endured a wretched start to this season, and by the time Steve Lovell was appointed Manager in October they were bottom-but-one in the League One table, with only Plymouth Argyle rock bottom .... and how the fortunes of both of those clubs have changed. The Gills are currently in the top half, only 6 points away from the play-offs (and Argyle will get in to the play-offs if they're not careful!). The transformation in Gillingham's situation can be fairly and squarely laid at the door of Lovell - a man who made 233 appearances for the club and returned as caretaker manager after his playing days were over, and in his time he's washed the kit, made the tea, and driven the youth team's bus to away matches. His motivational skills were seen after a month in post when the Gills came to Bescot in November, took the lead against the run of play before being reduced to 10 men and still winning 0-1.

Losing 0-1 at home to Gillingham may ring a bell with older Walsall supporters ... certainly when I was much younger I regarded Gillingham as our bogey side, and the name Brian Yeo seemed to feature time after time in victories at Fellows Park.

More recently the two clubs have had a connection (of sorts) in the form of Simeon Jackson who signed a 3-year contract for Gillingham in 2008, Gillingham paying £150,000 for his services. He then went on to play for Norwich City in the Premier League.

Gillingham's current League One form:-

13 Jan Rochdale (H) Won 2-1
20 Jan Scunthorpe United (A) Won 1-3
27 Jan Fleetwood Town (H) Won 2-1
3 Feb Wigan Athletic (A) Lost 2-0
10 Feb Peterborough United (H) Drew 1-1
13 Feb Northampton Town (A) Won 1-2

So .... can Jon Whitney find a way to extend our current three match unbeaten run? His current method of striker selection appears to be to rotate Bakayoko, Shaibu and Ngoy and it's difficult to predict their individual match form, dependent as it is on the calibre of the defenders they're up against. Devlin's recent recall has apparently had a positive effect but there is still no sign of Krystian Bielik, whose "niggling" injury is proving to be a bigger problem than previously thought - and his commitment to Walsall has also been brought into question ... all things for JW to ponder.

Prediction? I'll be happy with a 1-1 draw for this one, with Oztumer back on the goal trail.

UTS :D

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Re: Gillingham (A) Feb 17th, 3pm

Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:50 am

Unbeaten in our last 5 visits to Kent I understand...a big change from when were were young WELSH however I will go for a continuation of that run...Walsall to win!!!!

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:57 am

Draw would be fine here with their form.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:31 am

They're in good form. Give me a draw now and i'd be happy.

Whitney Out.

BarnsleySaddler
Glitterati

Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:52 am

This could well be another win. Their form has dipped in the last 3 matches with 1w, 1d & 1l. If they play from the start this is winnable as they appear to be vulnerable if they don,t get in front early. Do their fans get at them!

saddla
Site Addict

Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:58 am

Welsh_Saddler wrote:"Vanguard of Liberty, ye men of Kent,
Ye children of a soil that doth advance
Her haughty brow against the coast of France,
Now is the time to prove your hardiment!"

(William Wordsworth - "To the men of Kent")

Gillingham endured a wretched start to this season, and by the time Steve Lovell was appointed Manager in October they were bottom-but-one in the League One table, with only Plymouth Argyle rock bottom .... and how the fortunes of both of those clubs have changed. The Gills are currently in the top half, only 6 points away from the play-offs (and Argyle will get in to the play-offs if they're not careful!). The transformation in Gillingham's situation can be fairly and squarely laid at the door of Lovell - a man who made 233 appearances for the club and returned as caretaker manager after his playing days were over, and in his time he's washed the kit, made the tea, and driven the youth team's bus to away matches. His motivational skills were seen after a month in post when the Gills came to Bescot in November, took the lead against the run of play before being reduced to 10 men and still winning 0-1.

Losing 0-1 at home to Gillingham may ring a bell with older Walsall supporters ... certainly when I was much younger I regarded Gillingham as our bogey side, and the name Brian Yeo seemed to feature time after time in victories at Fellows Park.

More recently the two clubs have had a connection (of sorts) in the form of Simeon Jackson who signed a 3-year contract for Gillingham in 2008, Gillingham paying £150,000 for his services. He then went on to play for Norwich City in the Premier League.

Gillingham's current League One form:-

13 Jan Rochdale (H) Won 2-1
20 Jan Scunthorpe United (A) Won 1-3
27 Jan Fleetwood Town (H) Won 2-1
3 Feb Wigan Athletic (A) Lost 2-0
10 Feb Peterborough United (H) Drew 1-1
13 Feb Northampton Town (A) Won 1-2

So .... can Jon Whitney find a way to extend our current three match unbeaten run? His current method of striker selection appears to be to rotate Bakayoko, Shaibu and Ngoy and it's difficult to predict their individual match form, dependent as it is on the calibre of the defenders they're up against. Devlin's recent recall has apparently had a positive effect but there is still no sign of Krystian Bielik, whose "niggling" injury is proving to be a bigger problem than previously thought - and his commitment to Walsall has also been brought into question ... all things for JW to ponder.

Prediction? I'll be happy with a 1-1 draw for this one, with Oztumer back on the goal trail.

UTS :D

Just to be pedantic Welsh, Gillingham people are Kentish men rather than men o'Kent :mrgreen:

Edward Hasted, in his 1798 description of Rainham, writes: "The whole of this parish is in the division of East Kent which begins here, the adjoining parish of Gillingham, westward, being wholly in that of West Kent."

Mike Vale
UTS Regular

Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:36 pm

Tricky one this. I’ll go for a goalless draw with a guarantee of a lesser away following than last week.

coop63
Glitterati

Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:16 pm

Fingers crossed for 2-2 and a very good draw... UTS

chunkster
Site Addict

Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:43 pm

going for a win 1-2 and us going on a bit of a run :D

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:21 am

Gillingham were, like Plymouth, at the bottom of the League earlier in the season, as Welsh so aptly pointed out.
However, they changed their Manager, and look where they are now, where we should have been, and at least win Optimistic's bet, if our Board could have had the guts and foresight to do similar. Now, thanks to the occasional application of new recruits, we have hit a mini revival, which will mean being stuck with this no hoper in charge for probably yet another disaster of a season.
Heart says a good 2-2 draw. Head says a 0-2 defeat. My hearts crud obviously, so the latter result more probable.
Bakayoko to start up front? of course, it's a given. Arsenal crocked defender still nowhere to be seen. (perhaps he might put in a ten minute stint at Fleetwood?)

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:46 am

Ancient Moaner wrote:Gillingham were, like Plymouth, at the bottom of the League earlier in the season, as Welsh so aptly pointed out.
However, they changed their Manager, and look where they are now, where we should have been, and at least win Optimistic's bet, if our Board could have had the guts and foresight to do similar. Now, thanks to the occasional application of new recruits, we have hit a mini revival, which will mean being stuck with this no hoper in charge for probably yet another disaster of a season.
Heart says a good 2-2 draw. Head says a 0-2 defeat. My hearts crud obviously, so the latter result more probable.
Bakayoko to start up front? of course, it's a given. Arsenal crocked defender still nowhere to be seen. (perhaps he might put in a ten minute stint at Fleetwood?)

Never seem to agree, do we AM. I don't wear this new manager idea, West Brom tried it and they are rock bottom. With regards to Gillingham they have had a good run since the new manager arrived but they were lucky to beat us at home. Turn just that one result round to 1-0 to us and they would still be 2 points below us. That's how close it is at the moment and the fans need to get behind the team at away games if the 12th man theory works.

With regards to Plymouth they have the same manager who was under pressure earlier in the season but he has turned it round. I suppose that they will be stuck with him next season now as well. The new manager burst of form does not last forever, only until the novelty wears off and the players do the same old thing.

Give your heart a break and start thinking positive, it's the best tonic you can get. :wink:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:55 am

Optimistic wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:Gillingham were, like Plymouth, at the bottom of the League earlier in the season, as Welsh so aptly pointed out.

Never seem to agree, do we AM. I don't wear this new manager idea, West Brom tried it and they are rock bottom. With regards to Gillingham they have had a good run since the new manager arrived but they were lucky to beat us at home. Turn just that one result round to 1-0 to us and they would still be 2 points below us. That's how close it is at the moment and the fans need to get behind the team at away games if the 12th man theory works.

With regards to Plymouth they have the same manager who was under pressure earlier in the season but he has turned it round. I suppose that they will be stuck with him next season now as well. The new manager burst of form does not last forever, only until the novelty wears off and the players do the same old thing.

Give your heart a break and start thinking positive, it's the best tonic you can get. :wink:

Northampton had a bounce but it seems to have tailed off. It's very much on a case by case basis and for every notable success there's a dismal failure. O'Dismal, Barnwell and Merson classic examples of our own.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:21 pm

*Looks at table, expecting Gills to be top 6. Finds them also stuck in mid table just 4 points ahead of Walsall with the Saddlers having a game in hand. :mrgreen: *

Now the form team of the league are Roverum who you seem to be ignoring a bit Ancient... :wink:

Difficult to call today. If the defence was better away from home I'd go for 0-0 but fear it could be a 1-0 loss as the away form remains mediocre.

Gills have done well. Considering how many good players they lost in the summer I had them down as bottom 4 certs and first three months they were in the relegation zone but looks like that flukely 1-0 win at Bescot has totally changed their season.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:03 pm

Baka. starts instead of Shaibu.....no sign of Ngoy. Injured ?

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:06 pm

To answer my own question...Ngoy is ill and didn't travel.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:29 pm

Starting line-up against Gillingham:-

Roberts

Devlin
Fitzwater
Guthrie
Leahy

Morris
Dobson
Chambers
Edwards

Oztumer
Bakayoko

Substitutes: Gillespie, Cuvelier, Kinsella, Shaibu, Flanagan, Roberts, Kouhyar

Gillingham's bench includes Franck Moussa ........ :roll:

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:47 pm

I think that i will revise my prediction to 2-0 loss :(

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:07 pm

Elsewhere, early goals in Essex - Southend Utd 2 Portsmouth 0 (Southend's 2nd goal scored by Demetriou)

M K Dons 0 Charlton Athletic 1 (10 min)

Scunthorpe Utd 1 Northampton Town 1 (edited)

Doncaster Rovers 2 Fleetwood Town 0 (edited)

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:23 pm

Gillingham shot hits the Walsall woodwork, 20 min :?

31 minutes ... George Dobson has the first on-target shot of the game (from either side)

Southend Utd 2 Portsmouth 1

Sloppies 0 Rotherham Utd 1 (43 min)

Oxford Utd 0 Plymouth Argyle 1 (45 min)

0-0 at half time :D (in the match that matters!)

BarnsleySaddler
Glitterati

Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:08 pm

2nd half underway. attendance 4682 (209 Walsall)

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:15 pm

Approaching the hour mark - no signs of substitutions as yet......... meanwhile

Doncaster Rovers 3 Fleetwood Town 0

Scunthorpe Utd 1 Northampton Town 2

M K Dons 1 Charlton Athletic 2

After an hour at Gillingham, the on-target count is one from each side. Doesn't sound like a very inspiring game ..... :?

BarnsleySaddler
Glitterati

Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:21 pm

Sub for the Gills: Conor Wilkinson On, Callum Reilly Off.

Gills hit the post. Let off.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:27 pm

Walsall substitution, 68 minutes......... Maz Kouhyar replaces Kieron Morris, and Shaibu on for Baka

BarnsleySaddler
Glitterati

Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:28 pm

Subs for Walsall: Max Kouhyar On, Kieron Morris Off. Justin Shaibu On, Amadou Bakayoko Of

sub for the Gills: Scott Wagstaff On, Luke O'Neill Off. 73 mins

Sub for Walsall: Florent Cuvelier On, Erhun Ozthumer Off. 76 mins
Last edited by BarnsleySaddler on Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:34 pm

Walsall's 3rd substitution, 74 minutes.......... Cuvelier on for Turkish Messi

Scunthorpe Utd 2 Northampton Town 2

Southend Utd 3 Portsmouth 1 - Portsmouth down to 10 men

Gillingham shot blocked - it's "bodies on the line" time, with 10 minutes to go.

Walsall yellow card, 84 minutes ......... George Dobson
And a Gillingham one at the same time !! - Conor Wilkinson

0-0 at full time. A hard-earned point by the sound of it - well done !!!

BarnsleySaddler
Glitterati

Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:52 pm

FT: Gillingham 0-0 Walsall. A hard won point for the lads.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:58 pm

A good point in my view.....4 unbeaten now..UTS

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:59 pm

Difficult to call today. If the defence was better away from home I'd go for 0-0 but fear it could be a 1-0 loss as the away form remains mediocre.

Defence turned up today. :)

Decent point. Game will be forgotten by the time the coaches leave the Medway.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:01 pm

BarnsleySaddler wrote:FT: Gillingham 0-0 Walsall. A hard won point for the lads.

We are certainly grinding out the results at the moment and a 2nd clean sheet in 4 games. Of the loan signings Fitzwater seems to have had an impact. It sounds as if the home side were dominant (as in the game at our place) which makes the point all the sweeter.

UTS
Last edited by BathSaddler on Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gripper
Glitterati

Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:05 pm

Good point that.

Next
Return to 2017-18 Season