Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Gillingham (A) Feb 17th, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
chunkster
Site Addict

Re: Gillingham (A) Feb 17th, 3pm

Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:28 am

Optimistic wrote:
chunkster wrote:
Optimistic wrote:
scott_powell wrote:I’d take the point but hearing it was a pretty dire performance.

I knew we could rely on you to notice that we kept a clean sheet and put a positive slant on it.
I am very happy with a point away at a team that have seen a bit of revival over the past few weeks :) but scott has a point in the fact that it still wasn't very attractive football to watch as a paying customer that want's entertaining for their money :|

Yeah I know chunkster, but he's always winding me up so I thought he was fair game. :)
Oh right :lol:

chunkster
Site Addict

Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:32 am

Guest wrote:48 seconds of the entertainment.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1smja_A ... p=drivesdk
Well it looked mildly entertaining if you are a Gillingham supporter :| did we have any shots at goal?

saddla
Site Addict

Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:41 am

chunkster wrote:

Well it looked mildly entertaining if you are a Gillingham supporter :| did we have any shots at goal?

According to the BBC we had 2 shots on target compared to their 2 shots on target. it takes 2 to tango. :mrgreen:

TheGilbertAlsop
UTS Regular

Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:00 pm

I dragged myself out of a warm bed for this one. Luckily, I live in London so it isn't far for me. I expected a stinker of a game and was duly rewarded.
The tone was set from kick-off, when Chambers blasted the ball into the stand to his left. After that, it was stray pass after stray pass from both teams apart from when Gillingham got some decent crosses in and Tom Eaves caused trouble for our centre-halves but couldn't finish any of the chances he had. I came away happy with the point as we didn't deserve aything else.
There were two moments of quality. When Shaibu outpaced his marker who was five yards in front of him to run into the penalty area - sadly nothing came of it, but this then created the next best moment, George Dobson's outrageous body check to stop the Gillingham counter attack. One of the most blatant fouls I have ever seen. He took 'one for the team' there.

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:01 pm

saddla wrote:
chunkster wrote:

According to the BBC we had 2 shots on target compared to their 2 shots on target. it takes 2 to tango. :mrgreen:

I was there sobber as driving, I did not see the 2 shots.
They must have been when I was stroking the black cat in the refreshments area, admiring the artexed ceiling in the toilets or wondering how they changed the floodlight bulbs.

I don't think we had a corner even.

A dire match.

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:23 pm

Here we are, I have sorted a report:

Although a performance to be forgotten from both sides the Super Saddlers matched the performance of an in form Gills side notching up a similar tally of 2 shots on target each. The Saddlers new look defense worked well to keep a clean sheet with the help of a couple of well positioned posts and the impressive Gills results of 2 wins and 2 draws from the last 4 games has been matched by an improving Walsall side. Knowing that with a weakened strike force they were only 1 goal away from getting all 3 points will have given many Walsall fans hope for the remaining fixtures.

Optimistic, News at Ten, Gillingham.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:52 pm

Optimistic wrote:Here we are, I have sorted a report:

Although a performance to be forgotten from both sides the Super Saddlers matched the performance of an in form Gills side notching up a similar tally of 2 shots on target each. The Saddlers new look defense worked well to keep a clean sheet with the help of a couple of well positioned posts and the impressive Gills results of 2 wins and 2 draws from the last 4 games has been matched by an improving Walsall side. Knowing that with a weakened strike force they were only 1 goal away from getting all 3 points will have given many Walsall fans hope for the remaining fixtures.

Maybe you should respect the views of those fans that actually attended the game rather than spout crap like this.

Yesterday highlighted why such a majority want Whitney gone, drab , dire low quality football at best.

You come across as the sort of bloke that would forgive his wife for cheating.

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:22 pm

Mazza01 wrote:
Optimistic wrote:Here we are, I have sorted a report:

Maybe you should respect the views of those fans that actually attended the game rather than spout crap like this.

Yesterday highlighted why such a majority want Whitney gone, drab , dire low quality football at best.

You come across as the sort of bloke that would forgive his wife for cheating.

Which bit did you think was not accurate, as for Whitney I didn't mention him, I can do another report about him if you like. I thought this was the views of fans who attended, go on what's not accurate.

You come across as a bloke without a sense of humour, whereas I thought I would lighten things up a bit so I don't know what wives have got to do with it unless you have problems yourself.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:38 pm

Over my many years of watching Walsall I have seen many drab games against Gillingham especially on their awful pitch so if it was drab and dismal I know what you went through but it was a hard earned point against an in form team. You pays your money and you know the rest!!!!

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:08 pm

Walsallone wrote:Over my many years of watching Walsall I have seen many drab games against Gillingham especially on their awful pitch so if it was drab and dismal I know what you went through but it was a hard earned point against an in form team. You pays your money and you know the rest!!!!

Agree 100% but let's not sugar coat the facts though hey because last time I looked at the table we are still potentially in a dog fight.

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:23 pm

The Gills got a very creditable draw tonight at Shrewsbury :|

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:00 pm

chunkster wrote:The Gills got a very creditable draw tonight at Shrewsbury :|

Both would probably draw with Spurs or beat Man. City. :wink:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:24 am

Mazza01 wrote:
Walsallone wrote:Over my many years of watching Walsall I have seen many drab games against Gillingham especially on their awful pitch so if it was drab and dismal I know what you went through but it was a hard earned point against an in form team. You pays your money and you know the rest!!!!

Agree 100% but let's not sugar coat the facts though hey because last time I looked at the table we are still potentially in a dog fight.

Thank goodness for 'drop like a stone' Fleetwood!! (we just might send em down in the last match of this god awful season) Stand by for a new season........Whitney still at the helm, more turgid, rubbish footy on offer down at the Bonk's's's, bet the season tickets will fly off the shelves...or was that dust?

Previous
Return to 2017-18 Season