Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Doncaster Rovers (H) Tue 13th Feb, 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
UTS Legend

Re: Doncaster Rovers (H) Tue 13th Feb, 7.45pm

Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:49 pm

Exile wrote:Squeaky bum time!

It would have been if Baka hadn't scored.

UTS Legend

Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:53 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:This is probably the most severe test of our ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory in living memory !!

We did manage to take the gloss off the victory. :mrgreen:

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:07 pm

When i predicted the win :mrgreen: i didn't think it would be so comprehensive tbh, i won a few quid on the win and cashed out on 4-0 on my other bet :mrgreen: but my thinking was that the new boys would have a better idea of how we play and so whit's would have a better idea about what they could do. i know think we will kick on, and wouldn't be at all surprised if we ended up in the top half at the end of the season.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:16 pm

10 points off the playoffs?

2 games in hand?

:D

PT
Site Addict

Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:21 pm

Wasn’t there tonight, but that is a fantastic result. Chuffed for the folk that were there, the players and even Mr Whitney. Lovely.

Mike Vale
UTS Regular

Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:23 pm

10 goals in the last 2 games. No entertainment watching the Saddlers. Or is there?

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:33 pm

I am going to shock a lot of you but JW deserves a lot of credit for tonight. Starting with Shaibu was a good move and in the first half his pace and movement caused Donny a lot of trouble . He laid on the second goal for Edwards ....the other big plus for me was the performance of Morris who built on his goal making of Saturday with a much more confident performance. The return of Devlin made a difference too and it was a shame that we conceded 2 late goals.
Well done everyone...lets hope for a similar performance against in form Gillingham on Saturday....mind you we owe them one for the daylight robbery they did on us earlier in the season.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:34 pm

Lovely to see Morris back in form, three good games he's had now.

I've always liked him as a player but his consistency is an issue and don't think he's been getting good enough coaching last 18 months.

Should be kept on though as when on form he's a good league 1 wide player.

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:49 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:Lovely to see Morris back in form, three good games he's had now.

I've always liked him as a player but his consistency is an issue and don't think he's been getting good enough coaching last 18 months.

Should be kept on though as when on form he's a good league 1 wide player.
I am still yet to be convinced about Morris, a few good games now at his age is still not going to cut it for me, he would have to put in a storming last few months to even get close :|

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:07 pm

Graydon and Nicholl might have had something with the 442 formation

UTS Legend

Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:55 am

The goals on Sky.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fB5Ymd ... p=drivesdk

Nice header from Edwards.
Shaibu did well for number 2.
Well-taken goal by Morris.
Good play by Baka for his goal.
Should Liam have been beaten at his near post?
Was it a penalty? Looked a soft one to me.

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:14 am

Guest wrote:The goals on Sky.

Never a penalty.
Good finish from Baka though.

canadiansaddler
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:21 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:10 points off the playoffs?

2 games in hand?

:D

We could be doing a Barnsley :)

Yeah Nah

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:22 am

enjoyable match at a freezing cold banks's last night.
first 15 mins passed by without much happening but a lovely cross and poor defending got us off and running.
to be fair I thought mk dons were poor but for 85 minutes Doncaster looked every bit a relegation looking side.
some buggar is going down on 51/52 points this season so although were not out the woods this 7 points weve picked up was crucial putting more teams under us.
this league is rubbish apart from oxford who we beat and Blackburn who have a 30k week striker most teams are much of a muchness.
Bradford haven't won in 8 games and still hold a play off spot.
need to keep the momentum going and start climbing a few places up table and put any fears of relegation out of our minds.
always 1 team that comes from nowhere maybe its Plymouth but just maybe could be us.
whats worrying is that when weve gone on a little mini run and picked up a few points we then go 4 or 5 games without winning.

saddlerbishoff

Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:49 am

A quick summary for those that couldn’t make it last night.
A poor crowd.but hardly surprising in the circumstances particularly if you went to Blackpool!
In the first half the line-up worked well with Shaibu causing them problems and the style we played against their very high line was effective. When a longer ball was played it generally fed into the channels that Shaibu made them work for and that quite often is where Baka is consistently poor.
Edwards took his goals well and Morris from a hard working performance really deserved his goal before the break. Let’s not forget that the defence also looked confident and solid and most times played the ball out with purpose and skill. Guthrie gets better and better and the return of Devlin was long overdue as we have looked weak and vulnerable in that position for too long. Liam could have sat by me in the first half. Ozzy yet again was poor on decision making and distribution but worked hard. 3 up and coasting at half time against poor opposition. Just shows what can happen when you take your chances.
As often happens the second half in those circumstances is never the same. Ferguson sent them back out almost 10 minutes early with a flea in the ear I suppose.
We then seemed to think we should play a more containing game and protect the lead and although Donny were no better the game drifted a bit. Once we started the substitutions we gradually lost more control. Yes Baka scored from a nice move from Ozzy but he did little else except chase loose balls like a dog chasing cars. Flo came on and contributed nothing and looked very slow. Donnys first goal Liam should have stopped at the near post really but we can forgive him that as it was the only thing he was involved in and was almost frozen to the spot in ice. The penalty was very soft and the ref must have felt sorry for them by that point.
A very good result spoilt at the very end perhaps.
Donny were poor and as bad as MK Dons really.
With good management and coaching we could have walked this League this season in the style of Shrewsbury.
An opportunity lost by being loyal to JW I regret.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:30 am

Fully expected to win this game so nothing changes for me , let Jon take us up until the end of the season then get rid!

Good result mind..

UTS

saddlersjse
UTS Regular

Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:23 pm

saddlerbishoff wrote:With good management and coaching we could have walked this League this season in the style of Shrewsbury.

Disagree that this current squad would have walked the league this year, don't think it's anywhere near strong enough but I do believe we would have done better with proper coaching.

I do believe the 15/16 squad would have walked it, however. I've seen no team this season (at home games) that has really impressed me. Wigan were decent at their place. Rovrum were decent at their place although we were awful. Nothing about the Sloppies impressed me really.

As someone else has said, it's all much of a muchness.

PT
Site Addict

Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:11 pm

saddlersjse wrote:
saddlerbishoff wrote:With good management and coaching we could have walked this League this season in the style of Shrewsbury.

Disagree that this current squad would have walked the league this year, don't think it's anywhere near strong enough but I do believe we would have done better with proper coaching.

I do believe the 15/16 squad would have walked it, however. I've seen no team this season (at home games) that has really impressed me. Wigan were decent at their place. Rovrum were decent at their place although we were awful. Nothing about the Sloppies impressed me really.

I agree. It is much of a muchness and we are typical.

Next season this level has every chance of having the competition skewed by one or even two teams who are in receipt of the huge parachute payments. I think Grayson is a good appointment for Bradford, Pompey will look to push on and Luton could be a force. In other words, I reckon it will be a lot tougher next season so we can’t afford to be complacent around 14th/15th this season being good enough next season.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:21 pm

Mazza01 wrote:Fully expected to win this game so nothing changes for me , let Jon take us up until the end of the season then get rid!

Good result mind..

UTS

But they won't will they, the Board will spout the usual nonsense about Jon's abilities in staving off a relegation threat and should be given another season to prove he is capable of a promotion push!

I'm afraid this slight improvement in our relegation threatened season, can't have come at a worse time in our rightly justified call for Jon to be axed. Whilst we are all delighted to be a little better positioned in the League, it will result in Whitney being kept on for us to endure even more misery next season without doubt.

Whitters
Site Addict

Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:41 pm

Guest wrote:The goals on Sky.

Thanks Guest.
Are our nets too tight?
I like to see the ball nestled in the back of the net not come straight back out.
Yes, add it to the list of gripes....

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:29 pm

PT wrote:
saddlersjse wrote:

I agree. It is much of a muchness and we are typical.

Next season this level has every chance of having the competition skewed by one or even two teams who are in receipt of the huge parachute payments. I think Grayson is a good appointment for Bradford, Pompey will look to push on and Luton could be a force. In other words, I reckon it will be a lot tougher next season so we can’t afford to be complacent around 14th/15th this season being good enough next season.

Next season could arguably be the toughest third division ever seen.

Let's say Sloppies continue to defy the odds and Rotherham continue their great recent run so they're the top 2.

Wigan and Blackburn both lose in the play offs.

Burton do a great escape in the championship so bottom 3 are Bolton, Sunderland and Birmingham city.

League one next season has Blackburn, Wigan, Bolton, Sunderland and Birmingham in it. All five were in the premier league in 2010/11 so that's a quarter of the top flight potentially in league one to add to Pompey who went down the season before and Charlton in 2007.

Would be some brilliant away trips in that selection but it would certainly be a slog to survive.

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:22 pm

On the plus side there's little coming up from league 2...

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:42 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
Mazza01 wrote:Fully expected to win this game so nothing changes for me , let Jon take us up until the end of the season then get rid!

Good result mind..

UTS

But they won't will they, the Board will spout the usual nonsense about Jon's abilities in staving off a relegation threat and should be given another season to prove he is capable of a promotion push!

I'm afraid this slight improvement in our relegation threatened season, can't have come at a worse time in our rightly justified call for Jon to be axed. Whilst we are all delighted to be a little better positioned in the League, it will result in Whitney being kept on for us to endure even more misery next season without doubt.

I can't believe that you are disappointed with the result AM. I realise that you don't attend many home games but spare a thought for fans like me who attend every one and look forward to games like this. As for relegation threatened it's just not true, we are currently on target for a top 12 finish even though many fans are in denial. If the final league position is the measure of success for Jon to keep his job then who can argue with what would appear to be a fair method to judge any manager.

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:44 pm

This could Whitney's 'Dean Smith turning point'. Can he build on it? Bonser isn't going to get rid now, so let's hope he can keep it up with results against the also-rans and see where we go before demanding uncle Jeff gets rid at the end of the season.

PT
Site Addict

Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:27 am

Exile wrote:This could Whitney's 'Dean Smith turning point'. Can he build on it? Bonser isn't going to get rid now, so let's hope he can keep it up with results against the also-rans and see where we go before demanding uncle Jeff gets rid at the end of the season.

Let’s hope so but Whitney has an oil tanker to turn in respect of fan opinion. Smiths was more of a yacht.

It would be absolutely pointless to pot Whitney now so there is honestly little point in turning up to games to have a pop at him.

Whilst many were underwhelmed, the return of Dobson is making quite a difference in my opinion. Suddenly Morris and Edwards look 20% better because we have a midfielder who is extremely mobile, keeps the ball well and can find a pass.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:35 pm

Exile wrote:On the plus side there's little coming up from league 2...

Luton have momentum now and plenty of cash behind them so they would be top half.

Would like to see Accrington and Wycombe make it. Both small clubs but both very well run. Wycombe is a good away trip aswell.

Previous
Return to 2017-18 Season