Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Blackpool (A) 10th Feb, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Re: Blackpool (A) 10th Feb, 3pm

Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:22 pm

M K Dons 1 Portsmouth 0

Doncaster Rovers 0 Charlton Athletic 1

Blackburn Rovers 0 Oldham Athletic 1 :shock:

Sloppies 1 Plymouth Argyle 1

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:29 pm

yes 1-0

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:29 pm

SUPER SADDLERS AHEAD 0-1 !!!!!!! 37 minutes.......... Joe Edwards, assist by Kieron Morris. Who needs strikers? :wink:

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:30 pm

Get in!

UTS Legend

Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:31 pm

Edwards!! 28th minute.
Last edited by Guest on Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:31 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:
Optimistic wrote:
Walsallone wrote:N'Goy in---Ozzie on bench presumably the state of the pitch may be a reason. Very heavy according to WM.......match only on after 1.00pm pitch inspection.

With another game on Tuesday that might not be a bad decision. I hope it means that he is playing 2 up front today which might be a good idea whereas with Ozzie in it would probably be one.

Some people already filling their pants over it on Twitter. Basically it's the death of football.

I think Ozzy on the bench for this is a sensible decision.

Crap pitch
He performs less well away
He wasn't that effective in the Dons game
Another game on Tuesday
Impact sub

But 'shocking' :roll:

Crap pitch - and? It’s a crap pitch for Baka too.
He performs less well away - Really? I’ve been to away games this season where he has been head and shoulders out best player. Bristol Rovers, Oxford, Wimbledon, Charlton.
He wasn’t that effective against Dons - most of this team haven’t been effective all season. He can’t rescue us every game
Another game on Tuesday - isn’t that true for the whole squad?
Impact sub - rather than an impact player full stop?

So yeah, shocking.

Yes, it's a crap pitch for someone who's primary skill set is close control. That's an issue and is entirely relevant to point out, rather than dismiss it out of hand and compare it to a player with different skills.
He's often been anonymous in some away games. He's still our most effective player, but the two aren't mutually exclusive.
He wasn't that effective against Dons. That's a fact and the reason he was subbed. That doesn't make him a poor player. He can still be the highest scorer yet not have been effective in a certain game, relevant because that's his most recent performance.
The whole squad? Not everyone is as influencial as Ozzy often is at home. The decision not to start him today, and I'd expect for him to have at least 30 minutes, is not quite the end of days that certain pant fillers have been sobbing about. It seems quite sensible, or at the very least, not without reasons.
Impact sub - Because of all the factors described above.

But let's all sob uncontrollably and effortlessly dismiss the reasoning behind it because that's just so more satisfying to a stimulus-response moanfest.

Oh look, 1-0. Pass the tissues.

addo
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:32 pm

All came from Bakayoko winning the ball

UTS Legend

Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:38 pm

addo wrote:All came from Bakayoko winning the ball

Who's going to believe that on here? AM?

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:38 pm

Didn't last long ....... 1-1 (39 min) :( :(

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:40 pm

Blackburn Rovers 0 Oldham Athletic 2 :shock: :shock: :shock:

Southend Utd 2 Wigan Athletic 0 :shock: :shock: :shock:

Scunthorpe Utd 0 Rotherham Utd 1

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:40 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:
Optimistic wrote:
Walsallone wrote:N'Goy in---Ozzie on bench presumably the state of the pitch may be a reason. Very heavy according to WM.......match only on after 1.00pm pitch inspection.

With another game on Tuesday that might not be a bad decision. I hope it means that he is playing 2 up front today which might be a good idea whereas with Ozzie in it would probably be one.

Some people already filling their pants over it on Twitter. Basically it's the death of football.

Crap pitch
Another game on Tuesday
Impact sub

He performs less well away - Really? I’ve been to away games this season where he has been head and shoulders out best player. Bristol Rovers, Oxford, Wimbledon, Charlton.
He wasn’t that effective against Dons - most of this team haven’t been effective all season. He can’t rescue us every game

So yeah, shocking.

Yes, it's a crap pitch for someone who's primary skill set is close control. That's an issue and is entirely relevant to point out, rather than dismiss it out of hand and compare it to a player with different skills.
He's often been anonymous in some away games. He's still our most effective player, but the two aren't mutually exclusive.
He wasn't that effective against Dons. That's a fact and the reason he was subbed. That doesn't make him a poor player. He can still be the highest scorer yet not have been effective in a certain game, relevant because that's his most recent performance.
The whole squad? Not everyone is as influencial as Ozzy often is at home. The decision not to start him today, and I'd expect for him to have at least 30 minutes, is not quite the end of days that certain pant fillers have been sobbing about. It seems quite sensible, or at the very least, not without reasons.

But let's all sob uncontrollably and effortlessly dismiss the reasoning behind it because that's just so more satisfying to a stimulus-response moanfest.

I’m not dismissing the crap pitch I just don’t see why it’s relevant. Surely on a bad pitch it’s better to have a good touch than a bad one no?

Has he? Which Away games are those then? Because I gave you 4 solid examples where (and it’s not even been close) he’s been our best or most effective or however you want to describe it, player.

I didn’t despute that he was quiet against Dons I just pointed out that it’s one performance in many where that hasn’t been the case. The best player in any team has quiet days. You don’t just drop them next game. Lionel Messi was quiet against Valencia in the week. I bet he starts this weekend not just dropped because that’s the most recent game.

As for you going over the top about uncontrollable sobbing and pointing to an early goal as if it proves your point , I’d have thought you weren’t that immature. It’s a discussion on a forum, nobody is sobbing. And nobody is being dismissive of your points either. I’ve addressed them all clearly as I see them.

Micky Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:41 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:
Optimistic wrote:

Crap pitch
Another game on Tuesday
Impact sub

So yeah, shocking.

Love the handbags on here :lol: , can guarantee it on at least every single thread.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:49 pm

1-1 at half time. It will be interesting to see when (or if) JW decides to bring any subs on.......

Attendance 3,404

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:15 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:

Crap pitch
Another game on Tuesday
Impact sub

So yeah, shocking.

I’m not dismissing the crap pitch I just don’t see why it’s relevant. Surely on a bad pitch it’s better to have a good touch than a bad one no?

Has he? Which Away games are those then? Because I gave you 4 solid examples where (and it’s not even been close) he’s been our best or most effective or however you want to describe it, player.

I didn’t despute that he was quiet against Dons I just pointed out that it’s one performance in many where that hasn’t been the case. The best player in any team has quiet days. You don’t just drop them next game. Lionel Messi was quiet against Valencia in the week. I bet he starts this weekend not just dropped because that’s the most recent game.

As for you going over the top about uncontrollable sobbing and pointing to an early goal as if it proves your point , I’d have thought you weren’t that immature. It’s a discussion on a forum, nobody is sobbing. And nobody is being dismissive of your points either. I’ve addressed them all clearly as I see them.

The playing surface has an effect on the style of play. Why are you even challenging this? There's a certain reality as to why playing a 4'2" player whose primarily style of play is to run with the ball isn't ALWAYS the best idea on a wet pitch. It doesn't make him a bad player.

Ozzy has never had a poor away game, where he's reported as being largely anonymous? The fact that you can recall 4 really good away performances means doesn't mean that he plays well in every game. At Bury, Rovers, Rotherham, Southend and Gillingham, Plymouth and Blackburn he played really well and was the best player by far? Not anonymous as reported? See the difference?

It just didn't click for him against MK, and what he tried didn't come off. No-one is claiming he's crap. But it's up to the manager to use him in a different way - from the bench. It's not that unusual for teams to do that.

I stated there was an over-reaction on Twitter, then you question every single one of the reasons why it might NOT have been the worst ever idea. Some of which are more disputable than others. You could have approached it as a discussion point, or challenged one or two areas with suggestions of your own, but you've answered a statement 'Ozzy is crap and he's dropped - good' and not 'There are legitimate reasons why Ozzy could be used as an impact sub here'.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:19 pm

Bradford City 1 Bury 1

Sloppies 1 Plymouth Argyle 2 :shock: :shock:

AFC Wimbledon 1 Northampton Town 2

So as things stand, the top 4 teams are all losing .......

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:25 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:

So yeah, shocking.

The playing surface has an effect on the style of play. Why are you even challenging this? There's a certain reality as to why playing a 4'2" player whose primarily style of play is to run with the ball isn't ALWAYS the best idea on a wet pitch. It doesn't make him a bad player.

Ozzy has never had a poor away game, where he's reported as being largely anonymous? The fact that you can recall 4 really good away performances means doesn't mean that he plays well in every game. At Bury, Rovers, Rotherham, Southend and Gillingham, Plymouth and Blackburn he played really well and was the best player by far? Not anonymous as reported? See the difference?

It just didn't click for him against MK, and what he tried didn't come off. No-one is claiming he's crap. But it's up to the manager to use him in a different way - from the bench. It's not that unusual for teams to do that.

I stated there was an over-reaction on Twitter, then you question every single one of the reasons why it might NOT have been the worst ever idea. Some of which are more disputable than others. You could have approached it as a discussion point, or challenged one or two areas with suggestions of your own, but you've answered a statement 'Ozzy is crap and he's dropped - good' and not 'There are legitimate reasons why Ozzy could be used as an impact sub here'.

I'm not even questioning that though. I'm sure it does. Not enough to drop your best player though, not by any stretch.

I don't know about reported because I was going off what I've actually seen with my own eyes. If you want to add reported games I suppose we better add Sheffield United and Doncaster away where he scored and set one up in both?

Again, you are accusing me of making a point I haven't made. I never said you did think one performance made him crap. Infact, if anything that's my point. That he shouldn't be dropped off the back of one performance considering he's dug us out of more holes than Charles Bronson.

If you want me to address that point I will (although I have in fact already done that). Impact sub? I'd rather he was an impact player from the start. Simple.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:27 pm

Walsall substitution, 68 minutes ........ Ngoy off, Oztumer on :D

Blackpool sub on 71 minutes ..... Dan Agyei comes off the bench.

Gillingham 0 Peterborough Utd 1

Oxford Utd 1 Bristol Rovers 1

Blackburn Rovers 2 Oldham Athletic 2

Southend Utd 2 Wigan Athletic 1

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:34 pm

2-1 up....

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:36 pm

Walsall's 2nd substitution - Shaibu on for Bakayoko (75 minutes)

Walsall's 2nd goal from Jon Guthrie, following a George Dobson corner :D :D :D :D

Hang on, lads..........

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:37 pm

Jon Guthrie's first for the club.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:37 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:The playing surface has an effect on the style of play. Why are you even challenging this? There's a certain reality as to why playing a 4'2" player whose primarily style of play is to run with the ball isn't ALWAYS the best idea on a wet pitch. It doesn't make him a bad player.

I'm not even questioning that though. I'm sure it does. Not enough to drop your best player though, not by any stretch.

I don't know about reported because I was going off what I've actually seen with my own eyes. If you want to add reported games I suppose we better add Sheffield United and Doncaster away where he scored and set one up in both?

Again, you are accusing me of making a point I haven't made. I never said you did think one performance made him crap. Infact, if anything that's my point. That he shouldn't be dropped off the back of one performance considering he's dug us out of more holes than Charles Bronson.

If you want me to address that point I will (although I have in fact already done that). Impact sub? I'd rather he was an impact player from the start. Simple.

WTF

Here's what didn't happen: Whitney. Hmmm wet pitch, I don't think Ozzy is good enough to cope with the conditions - Bench.
Here's what is likely: Hmmm wet pitch. How can I best make use of the players to gain a win. I'll use Ozzy as an impact sub.

Do you see the difference?

Newsflash - Ozzy is on.

WHY oh WHY would all matches not be included in making an assessment about Ozzy's potential performance? Bizarre.

Newsflash: 2-1

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:41 pm

Walsall 5 points off 9th if these results hold. Two games in hand aswell.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:42 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:The playing surface has an effect on the style of play. Why are you even challenging this? There's a certain reality as to why playing a 4'2" player whose primarily style of play is to run with the ball isn't ALWAYS the best idea on a wet pitch. It doesn't make him a bad player.

WTF

Here's what didn't happen: Whitney. Hmmm wet pitch, I don't think Ozzy is good enough to cope with the conditions - Bench.
Here's what is likely: Hmmm wet pitch. How can I best make use of the players to gain a win. I'll use Ozzy as an impact sub.

Newsflash - Ozzy is on.

WHY oh WHY would all matches not be included in making an assessment about Ozzy's potential performance? Bizarre.

Here's what should have happened: Ozzy is my best player so I'll pen that one in on that top of the teamsheet, the first one I write down. There we go.

Because as I said I was going off what I have seen with my own eyes. Playing a dangerous game by just going off what people say on here.

Ha are you actually using the fact that he's come on and we've scored as proving your point? Because I could just as easily say I'm sure the pitch is still heavy and Oh look we've scored.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:43 pm

Lets hope we can hold on....WM reporting before the goal chants against the Manager again.....oh dear I thought people went away to support the team. When I went to away matches it was always us against them not us against us!!!!

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:47 pm

2-2....

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:47 pm

2-2 :( :( :( :( (87 min)

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:51 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:

WTF

Newsflash - Ozzy is on.

Here's what should have happened: Ozzy is my best player so I'll pen that one in on that top of the teamsheet, the first one I write down. There we go.

Because as I said I was going off what I have seen with my own eyes. Playing a dangerous game by just going off what people say on here.

Ha are you actually using the fact that he's come on and we've scored as proving your point? Because I could just as easily say I'm sure the pitch is still heavy and Oh look we've scored.

No. That's the entire point. The ENTIRE point. That there are factors that mean not playing him from the start wasn't the world's worst idea, as some were claiming.

That's absurd. A player's judged on the entire season and not on the games a single fan sees. ABSURD.

No. I claim nothing of the sort.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:51 pm

Walsallone wrote:Lets hope we can hold on....WM reporting before the goal chants against the Manager again.....oh dear I thought people went away to support the team. When I went to away matches it was always us against them not us against us!!!!

I wouldn’t be surprised. Charlton away was dreadful. Chants of we’re F’in shite at 0-0 after 5 minutes.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:55 pm

Kory Roberts on for Kieron Morris, 92 min.......

2-2 full time

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:57 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:

WTF

Newsflash - Ozzy is on.

No. That's the entire point. The ENTIRE point. That there are factors that mean not playing him from the start wasn't the world's worst idea, as some were claiming.

That's absurd. A player's judged on the entire season and not on the games a single fan sees. ABSURD.

No. I claim nothing of the sort.

Pretty bad one though.

How is arguing based on what I’ve experienced personally absured? Your point was he’s ineffective away. I asked really because the games I’ve been to away he’s been pretty good to easily the best player. I tell you what is absurd, arguing that a player with 7 goals and 3 assists in 16 away games is inneffective I’m a team full of players that are nowhere near those stats.

PreviousNext
Return to 2017-18 Season