Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Blackpool (A) 10th Feb, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Walsallone
UTS Legend

Re: Blackpool (A) 10th Feb, 3pm

Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:58 pm

An away draw is always acceptable.....sounds like a close call at the end though. Lets hope we can get the Arsenal lad fit soon .......

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:00 pm

I said a draw before and happy with it.

Hopefully the pitch is light enough on Tuesday that we can play our best player.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:01 pm

Always difficult to establish when following by text on a betting website but seems like there were a few injuries picked up near the end.

Think that will mean a few changes for Tuesday.

Sadsfan
Glitterati

Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:07 pm

I wouldn't bother trying to reason with El_nobhead Saigon, if you agree with his point he'll probably start arguing against you!

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:08 pm

Sadsfan wrote:I wouldn't bother trying to reason with El_nobhead Saigon, if you agree with his point he'll probably start arguing against you!

Haha yeah yeah I’m just being contrarian. I’ve given reasons for all my views but I’m just trolling. Clearly.

Jesus Christ.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:12 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
Here's what should have happened: Ozzy is my best player so I'll pen that one in on that top of the teamsheet, the first one I write down. There we go.

Because as I said I was going off what I have seen with my own eyes. Playing a dangerous game by just going off what people say on here.

Ha are you actually using the fact that he's come on and we've scored as proving your point? Because I could just as easily say I'm sure the pitch is still heavy and Oh look we've scored.

No. That's the entire point. The ENTIRE point. That there are factors that mean not playing him from the start wasn't the world's worst idea, as some were claiming.

That's absurd. A player's judged on the entire season and not on the games a single fan sees. ABSURD.

No. I claim nothing of the sort.

Pretty bad one though.

How is arguing based on what I’ve experienced personally absured? Your point was he’s ineffective away. I asked really because the games I’ve been to away he’s been pretty good to easily the best player. I tell you what is absurd, arguing that a player with 7 goals and 3 assists in 16 away games is inneffective I’m a team full of players that are nowhere near those stats.

I've been at pains to state that he's not an ineffective player at home or away.

In my last post I've clearly reminded you what the entire point is.

That's the entire point. The ENTIRE point. That there are factors that mean not playing him from the start wasn't the world's worst idea, as some were claiming.

That there were legitimate reasons and factors meaning benching Ozzy was a reasonable decision.

It doesn't make him ineffective.
It doesn't make him poor.

You're arguing against a contrived position that's floating somewhere in your imagination.

The end.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:14 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
Here's what should have happened: Ozzy is my best player so I'll pen that one in on that top of the teamsheet, the first one I write down. There we go.

Because as I said I was going off what I have seen with my own eyes. Playing a dangerous game by just going off what people say on here.

Ha are you actually using the fact that he's come on and we've scored as proving your point? Because I could just as easily say I'm sure the pitch is still heavy and Oh look we've scored.

No. That's the entire point. The ENTIRE point. That there are factors that mean not playing him from the start wasn't the world's worst idea, as some were claiming.

That's absurd. A player's judged on the entire season and not on the games a single fan sees. ABSURD.

No. I claim nothing of the sort.

Pretty bad one though.

How is arguing based on what I’ve experienced personally absured? Your point was he’s ineffective away. I asked really because the games I’ve been to away he’s been pretty good to easily the best player. I tell you what is absurd, arguing that a player with 7 goals and 3 assists in 16 away games is inneffective I’m a team full of players that are nowhere near those stats.

I've been at pains to state that he's not an ineffective player at home or away.

That's the entire point. The ENTIRE point. That there are factors that mean not playing him from the start wasn't the world's worst idea, as some were claiming.

That there were legitimate reasons and factors meaning benching Ozzy was a reasonable decision.

You're arguing against a contrived position that's floating somewhere in your imagination.

The end.

And as I’ve pointed out I think those reasons aren’t legitimate.

Despite you clearly stating it in black and white at the start of this discussion. Ok. You made clear points, I argued them, and with facts to back up what I’m saying, you say I’ve imagined your points. Wow.

And I’m the one being dismissive...

UTS Legend

Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:18 pm

How did we get on?

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:20 pm

Guest wrote:How did we get on?

We lost 2-2 :mrgreen:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:30 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:

The end.

Despite you clearly stating it in black and white at the start of this discussion. Ok. You made clear points, I argued them, and with facts to back up what I’m saying, you say I’ve imagined your points. Wow.

You're never, ever going to let this go are you?

I'm letting this go right now.

I'm ashamed of myself for having been drawn into a pathetic spat over what was the inferred meaning behind what I said. While I recognise that I have to bear some of the culpability, the sheer weight of crap you've managed to pour onto this is an amazing feat of dogged trench digging in an attempt to save a modicum of face.

I'll step away so you can launch into your next battle to the death entirely unencumbered.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:32 pm

Sadsfan wrote:I wouldn't bother trying to reason with El_nobhead Saigon, if you agree with his point he'll probably start arguing against you!

It's been an experience. Thankfully it's over. :|

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:35 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:

The end.

You're never, ever going to let this go are you?

I'm letting this go right now.

I'm ashamed of myself for having been drawn into a pathetic spat over what was the inferred meaning behind what I said. While I recognise that I have to bear some of the culpability, the sheer weight of crap you've managed to pour onto this is an amazing feat of dogged trench digging in an attempt to save a modicum of face.

I'll step away so you can launch into your next battle to the death entirely unencumbered.

Oh come on! It’s nice of you to make a desperate grab at the moral high ground like that, but I’ve simply stuck to the facts and not “let it go” any less than you have. The only difference is I haven’t been condescending and made comment on you personally.

And no when something as clear as this is the case I won’t let it go. So make me out to bad guy all you want but I’ll stick to the point. Especially not when I’m being accused of formulating things in my own head that are actually there for everybody to read.

Whatever the pitch is, whatever the fixture list is, however ineffective a player away from home (despite having better away stats than most of this squad have home and away stats), however impactful he would be as a sub, your best player plays from the start.
Last edited by El_Nombre on Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:40 pm

Is there any way to make this stop, or does it just go on and on?

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:42 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:Is there any way to make this stop, or does it just go on and on?

Sorry for such a horrible attempt at bothering you mate. I know it’s physically impossible to be anything but be condescending when somebody disagrees with you.

But hey, three cheers for Saigon. He didn’t actually want to reply. It was me being a dick that made him keep doing that. The hero we all deserve.

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:45 pm

Anybody got any popcorn please ? :lol: :lol:

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:48 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:Is there any way to make this stop, or does it just go on and on?

Exactly what Everyone thinks about Manchester and the brexit thread :)

Sadsfan
Glitterati

Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:50 pm

swampysaddler wrote:Anybody got any popcorn please ? :lol: :lol:

At least it makes a change from Scott! Keep bludgeoning everyone with your opinion until everyone gives in.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:55 pm

No but I could lend you a gun!

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:58 pm

Cowshed wrote:Desmond

Tutu always on the cards

Point away bagged but another bottom 4 performance

Too many of these and guess where you end up

Ozzy was poor last week and on the bench today.

My spider senses tell me all is not well with the Turkish messi

I wonder if something has happened during the window to cause a sulk

We don't need a sulker now we're in it deep

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:05 pm

Poor performance but nothing new there !! Until Whitney goes there is absolutely no chance of that changing.

However I can totally understand why he chose to drop Oztumer , he's been poor recently and it's clear there is something going on behind the scenes!

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:07 pm

Walsallone wrote:An away draw is always acceptable.....

Strange view that, if you don't mind me saying so, Walsallone :?

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:10 pm

Cowshed wrote:

Exactly what Everyone thinks about Manchester and the brexit thread :)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:11 pm

Mazza01 wrote:

No but I could lend you a gun!

:lol: :lol:

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:19 pm

Wow we’re at it again.

One performance that isn’t dragging us through by our laces and Ozzys not interested, hasn’t been that great recently, not what we need in our situation.

I’ll wait for the next time he adds to his massive count of “Walsall’s only decent player” games to decide if any of that has merit.

As for the draw, nothing wrong with it. Draw away win your home still remains. I’m amazed people still think we will be dragged in. 13 points to 50 points with 16 remaining is pretty strong. 4 wins and a draw from 16 is doable in our sleep. It could happen but I’d be amazed if it does.

PT
Site Addict

Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:25 pm

Poor quality game. They were probably the better side to be fair, which says a lot.

Delfounso the one quality player on the pitch. Leahy couldn’t get near him.

I think we could get dragged into it. We’re poor. No lack of effort. Felt a bit sorry for the lads at the end as they put in a right old shift on a very heavy pitch. But we lack quality and always look like conceding.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:49 pm

El_Nombre wrote:As for the draw, nothing wrong with it. Draw away win your home still remains.

Old school thinking from the days of 2 points for a win and 1 for a draw. the majority of successful teams have excellent away records.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:52 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:As for the draw, nothing wrong with it. Draw away win your home still remains.

Old school thinking from the days of 2 points for a win and 1 for a draw. the majority of successful teams have excellent away records.

Having said that though ...... wins at home and draws away will bring 92 points over a season....... :wink:

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:57 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

Having said that though ...... wins at home and draws away will bring 92 points over a season....... :wink:

I agree, but show me an example in modern day football of teams that do that. If you are good enough you will win your fair share of away games and if you are crap you will not win the majority of your home games.
Expectation / satisfaction should be based on the situation at the time rather than an outdated adage :D

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:04 pm

Sadsfan wrote:

At least it makes a change from Scott! Keep bludgeoning everyone with your opinion until everyone gives in.

Agreed :lol:

Thanks for taking my place Saigon :lol:

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:10 pm

I don't mind you having a different view CHESTER...indeed thats what sites like this are about however the old adage is still valid in my view even with 3 points for a win as long as you win enough home games either to stay up or go up. If you decide to reply I should advise you that I am not like others on here so we won't get into a tit for tat debate :D

PreviousNext
Return to 2017-18 Season