Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Blackpool (A) 10th Feb, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Blackpool (A) 10th Feb, 3pm

Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:16 pm

"There's a famous seaside place called Blackpool,
That's noted for fresh air and fun;
And Mr. and Mrs. Ramsbottom
Went there with young Albert, their son."

(Marriott Edgar)

With two-thirds of the season gone, the games which can be classified as "6-pointers" become more important - and this meeting certainly fits into that category. Blackpool are currently only 2 points behind us with an almost identical goal difference - and their recent poor form can be seen by looking at the League One table in mid-November when they were only 3 points away from the play-offs. Their F.A. Cup ambitions mirrored ours, but whereas we were at least knocked out by what has emerged to be a decent Newport County side, Blackpool were eliminated by Boreham Wood. Sad days indeed for a club who were in the Premiership only a few years ago.

Their decline on the pitch has been accompanied by the spectacularly unsavoury conduct within their boardroom of course, and only last week the latest episode occurred when Vicki Oyston (wife of the execrable Owen Oyston) resigned as a Director, on the same day that her son Karl Oyston was sacked. Club president, Latvian businessman Valeri Belokon, succeeded in a court action against the Oyston family when they were ordered to buy him out for £31 million - the first £10 million instalment has been missed, and Owen Oyston is asking for more time. All very murky, and makes our boardroom problems seem almost insignificant.........

Two players that may feature for Blackpool and be recognised by our travelling band, are Andy Taylor (club captain) and the recently loaned Dan Agyei. Taylor will probably not feature - he was injured against Plymouth Argyle on December 30th and hasn't appeared since then. Blackpool's recent form:-

30 Dec Plymouth Argyle (H) Drew 2-2
1 Jan Rochdale (A) Won 1-2
6 Jan Oxford United (A) Lost 1-0
13 Jan Bristol Rovers (H) Drew 0-0
20 Jan AFC Wimbledon (A) Lost 2-0
3 Feb Bury (A) Drew 1-1

Jon Whitney has the opportunity to "not change a winning side", but it's more than a possibility that Arsenal loanee Krystian Bielik could feature, the only question being whose place he takes (Kinsella?). Up front he may well decide to start with the pairing (Shaibu and Ngoy) that were used as substitutes last week and brought us the 3 points, and for the first time in ages Bakayoko could start from the bench - which would at least please Ancient Moaner!!

Prediction? As it's an away fixture, and as we shared the points in a 1-1 draw earlier this season, I think a draw could well be the result again. Although the rose-coloured spectacles would forecast a 1-3 outcome, let's be sensible and go for another 1-1 with an Oztumer worldy free-kick to replicate the one he scored in the reverse fixture at the Banks's's's' back in October.

UTS :D

chunkster
Site Addict

Re: Blackpool (A) 10th Feb, 3pm

Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:25 pm

Brill as usual Welsh :wink: i am going for a win 1-2 with Ngoy and ozzy on the scoresheet, with Agyei for them. with the new boys having a week of training with the squad under their belts, it will give them a bit more insight as to how we play :)

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:00 pm

Hard one to predict this, we will be frowned upon should we beat them, after the sad funeral today of Jimmy Armfield, their local hero.
They are, like the MK Dongs, going through a torrid phase of poor results, which has seen a monumental slide down the table. If we put in a poor display similar to last Saturday (according to reports) then a draw is the best we can hope for.
As this is my first match in a while, I'm hoping to see a win. So heart says another 1-0 win, head says 1-1 draw, a defeat could be a disastrous turnround cancelling out our recent hard fought win. So come on lads, heads up, shoulders out, show some energy! :wink:
My money on Baka starting up front again is as safe as houses! :lol: :wink:

chunkster
Site Addict

Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:21 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:Hard one to predict this, we will be frowned upon should we beat them, after the sad funeral today of Jimmy Armfield, their local hero.
They are, like the MK Dongs, going through a torrid phase of poor results, which has seen a monumental slide down the table. If we put in a poor display similar to last Saturday (according to reports) then a draw is the best we can hope for.
As this is my first match in a while, I'm hoping to see a win. So heart says another 1-0 win, head says 1-1 draw, a defeat could be a disastrous turnround cancelling out our recent hard fought win. So come on lads, heads up, shoulders out, show some energy! :wink:
You know what AM? i think we will start with Ngoy up front :wink:

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:59 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:"There's a famous seaside place called Blackpool,
That's noted for fresh air and fun;
And Mr. and Mrs. Ramsbottom
Went there with young Albert, their son."

(Marriott Edgar)

UTS :D

Hopefully they won't have a lion called Wallace playing for them!

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:22 pm

Well I hope we win for AM's sake and give him something to smile about :D A draw would be ok but I think we will win. :D

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:11 am

Draw please and thank you.

Anything less is a bit of a disaster though.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:19 am

Ancient Moaner wrote:Hard one to predict this, we will be frowned upon should we beat them, after the sad funeral today of Jimmy Armfield, their local hero.

Not sure what reports they are you are reading. We could have been three up by half time. Granted second half was more open but we missed another sitter and actually got the winning goal, before admittedly sitting on the back foot and seeing out the win (but who doesn't do that at 1-0 up with 10 minutes to go? I can think of Barcelona and Manchester City).

Anybody describing that performance as poor shouldn't really be reporting honestly. It was perfectly acceptable.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:32 am

chunkster wrote:
You know what AM? i think we will start with Ngoy up front :wink:

We ALL know that we SHOULD, but, we have to remember that Whitney is in charge...so Bakayoko it is then! :lol: :lol:

Mike Vale
UTS Regular

Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:51 pm

I shall be there to watch us win. No prediction as to the score.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:33 pm

Has there been a 0-0 yet this season?

Got a feeling tomorrow might be one.

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:57 am

Desmond

PT
Site Addict

Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:43 am

SoccerHQ wrote:Has there been a 0-0 yet this season?

Got a feeling tomorrow might be one.

Consecutive clean sheets! :o

Sharps in.

UTS Legend

Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:18 am

I can't see this being 0-0 with our super new strike force - unless they're on the bench. :?

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:27 am

Draw or Walsall win.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:11 pm

2-1 Blackpool :( .

We're awful away at the moment and Blackpool are due a win.

ObiWan7
UTS Regular

Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:49 pm

It's difficult to get exited anymore im afraid. We're not going to go down and with the ambition of the leadership that we have being about as far sighted as a bat with glaucoma we'll finish the season in about 14th and then have a few weeks of transfer gossip in the E and S before Oztumer goes to a Championship side and we spend the Summer signing nobody you've ever heard of and getting pictures of the "Lads" on a bonding trip somewhere half way up a mountain in preperation for a serious promotion challenge next season. ..............................and then the cycle begins all over again.

We'll win today 2-0 , scorers .....meh

Attendance A few thousand , probably a good following of reds , mainly to go out on the lash later and good luck to them.

Bring on the end of the season

Obi :|

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:05 pm

N'Goy in---Ozzie on bench presumably the state of the pitch may be a reason. Very heavy according to WM.......match only on after 1.00pm pitch inspection.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:10 pm

Bakayoko or Ozzy? Hmm let me think about that for a Nono second.

Clearly not that easy of a decision for Whitney though. What the fudge is he thinking. This is why I get so angry when people focus in hand waves and the odd pronoun when there are obvious glaring bone headed decisions to jump on rather than stuff that doesn’t matter.

I know the pitch might not be the best but I’d rather have Ozzy than Baka in the team if they were playing on the f***ing moon.

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:19 pm

But that's what football is all about Obi.

Only 3 teams will have the excitement of going up, another 4 will have the disappointment of going down and the remaining 17 will do as you describe and start the next season wondering if they will have the thrill of looking forward to a promotion challenge, the tension of avoiding the drop or the satisfaction of knowing that they will fight another season in the same division. Good days, bad days and average days.

Another summer and away we go again. But the fun is before each game, what will today bring?

Michal
UTS Regular

Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:31 pm

No Bielik. Well, this injury is more serious it seems. I really hope he'll recover to play at least once ;)

ObiWan7
UTS Regular

Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:39 pm

In reply to Optimistic.

I take your point , at 46 ive had lots of years experience of it , yes 3 will have the joy of going up but possibly 6,7 or 8 below will have that interest going into the last few months of the season , thinking "Can we make a late push". At the moment we are more likely to be thinking can i make the Fullbrook before the Rugby starts after each home game.

My lad is 6 and going to his first games now with me , i feel so sorry for the poor little bugger hopefully he'll be forced to watch this for another 90 years !!

My apathy is at the utter lack of ambition and the FACT that with over 3 months of the season left , any fan with half a brain can see how it's going to pan out and probably why it will be the same next year as well.
Ive had it as a Saddler for about 38 years and it pi**es me off , that's all and nobody who has anything to do with the club seems bothered. However i am a faceless and unimportant number and they know come rain or shine i'll always come back and pay my money . :oops:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:46 pm

Starting line-up against Blackpool:-

Roberts

Kinsella
Fitzwater
Guthrie
Leahy

Edwards
Chambers
Dobson
Morris

Ngoy
Bakayoko

Substitutes: Gillespie, Cuvelier, Oztumer, Shaibu, Flanagan, Roberts, Kouhyar

There's an impact substitute or two on that bench !!

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:50 pm

ObiWan7 wrote:In reply to Optimistic.

I take your point , at 46 ive had lots of years experience of it , yes 3 will have the joy of going up but possibly 6,7 or 8 below will have that interest going into the last few months of the season , thinking "Can we make a late push". At the moment we are more likely to be thinking can i make the Fullbrook before the Rugby starts after each home game.

My lad is 6 and going to his first games now with me , i feel so sorry for the poor little bugger hopefully he'll be forced to watch this for another 90 years !!

My apathy is at the utter lack of ambition and the FACT that with over 3 months of the season left , any fan with half a brain can see how it's going to pan out and probably why it will be the same next year as well.
Ive had it as a Saddler for about 38 years and it pi**es me off , that's all and nobody who has anything to do with the club seems bothered. However i am a faceless and unimportant number and they know come rain or shine i'll always come back and pay my money . :oops:

I know, I was just playing devils advocate. I still think we can move up the table into the top half so for me it is interesting. The result at Blackpool today will give us a better idea so fingers crossed.

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:56 pm

Walsallone wrote:N'Goy in---Ozzie on bench presumably the state of the pitch may be a reason. Very heavy according to WM.......match only on after 1.00pm pitch inspection.

With another game on Tuesday that might not be a bad decision. I hope it means that he is playing 2 up front today which might be a good idea whereas with Ozzie in it would probably be one.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:58 pm

(Just before kick-off) The betting exchanges have Blackpool as clear favourites to win (1.95) with Walsall rank outsiders at 4.33 .... worth a flutter? :wink:

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:01 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:(Just before kick-off) The betting exchanges have Blackpool as clear favourites to win (1.95) with Walsall rank outsiders at 4.33 .... worth a flutter? :wink:

I think so, I got 4.5 with betfair.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:03 pm

Optimistic wrote:
Walsallone wrote:N'Goy in---Ozzie on bench presumably the state of the pitch may be a reason. Very heavy according to WM.......match only on after 1.00pm pitch inspection.

With another game on Tuesday that might not be a bad decision. I hope it means that he is playing 2 up front today which might be a good idea whereas with Ozzie in it would probably be one.

Some people already filling their pants over it on Twitter. Basically it's the death of football.

I think Ozzy on the bench for this is a sensible decision.

Crap pitch
He performs less well away
He wasn't that effective in the Dons game
Another game on Tuesday
Impact sub

But 'shocking' :roll:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:05 pm

Very early goals elsewhere........

Oxford Utd 1 Bristol Rovers 0

Southend Utd 1 Wigan Athletic 0

Shrewsbury Town 1 Plymouth Argyle 0

AFC Wimbledon 0 Northampton Town 1

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:11 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
Optimistic wrote:

Some people already filling their pants over it on Twitter. Basically it's the death of football.

I think Ozzy on the bench for this is a sensible decision.

Crap pitch
He performs less well away
He wasn't that effective in the Dons game
Another game on Tuesday
Impact sub

But 'shocking' :roll:

Crap pitch - and? It’s a crap pitch for Baka too.
He performs less well away - Really? I’ve been to away games this season where he has been head and shoulders out best player. Bristol Rovers, Oxford, Wimbledon, Charlton.
He wasn’t that effective against Dons - most of this team haven’t been effective all season. He can’t rescue us every game
Another game on Tuesday - isn’t that true for the whole squad?
Impact sub - rather than an impact player full stop?

So yeah, shocking.

Next
Return to 2017-18 Season