Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Blackpool (A) 10th Feb, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Re: Blackpool (A) 10th Feb, 3pm

Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:25 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
Optimistic wrote:The thing is El_Nombre we all have different opinions and I was just sharing mine. Everything is relative and I could argue that managers who got us out of League 2 did not count because it was a lower league but that would be wrong to do. With regards to Smith I also supported him in the early days because I saw something that some others did not. The same happened with Sawyers who I thought was quality after his first couple of games.

I may be wrong about JW or I may be right and time will tell but Jon has had a lot less games than Smith so based on that comparison we would also have got rid of Smith after 100 games and that would have been a mistake. The chance that we will bring a good manager in is a lot less than bringing a poor one in so I think that we are better off with the devil we know at the moment rather than the devil we don't know. We need to get behind him and the team rather than keep trying to influence decisions, particularly if the ones doing it are under the influence themselves..

Absolutely, which is why I said if you are happy with that fair enough. I'm not. That's my opinion.

You absolutely can argue that. In fact I would. But as I said I wasn't making a comparison. Whitney has only played in League one and that is his record. As you keep bringing up Smith, the main difference was that there was a steady improvement in performances from the Hutchings era, which is why people like yourself wanted to give him time. We absolutely cannot say that about Whitney. It's demonstrably worse.

I really don't understand that? Why is it a better chance we bring in a worse manager than Whitney?

I didn't mean that there is a better chance, I meant that it's pot luck. Thanks for the debate El_Nombre but we must agree to disagree as it's all about opinions and as there is no real answer we could go on forever.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:56 pm

Optimistic wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
Optimistic wrote:The thing is El_Nombre we all have different opinions and I was just sharing mine. Everything is relative and I could argue that managers who got us out of League 2 did not count because it was a lower league but that would be wrong to do. With regards to Smith I also supported him in the early days because I saw something that some others did not. The same happened with Sawyers who I thought was quality after his first couple of games.

I may be wrong about JW or I may be right and time will tell but Jon has had a lot less games than Smith so based on that comparison we would also have got rid of Smith after 100 games and that would have been a mistake. The chance that we will bring a good manager in is a lot less than bringing a poor one in so I think that we are better off with the devil we know at the moment rather than the devil we don't know. We need to get behind him and the team rather than keep trying to influence decisions, particularly if the ones doing it are under the influence themselves..

Absolutely, which is why I said if you are happy with that fair enough. I'm not. That's my opinion.

You absolutely can argue that. In fact I would. But as I said I wasn't making a comparison. Whitney has only played in League one and that is his record. As you keep bringing up Smith, the main difference was that there was a steady improvement in performances from the Hutchings era, which is why people like yourself wanted to give him time. We absolutely cannot say that about Whitney. It's demonstrably worse.

I really don't understand that? Why is it a better chance we bring in a worse manager than Whitney?

I didn't mean that there is a better chance, I meant that it's pot luck. Thanks for the debate El_Nombre but we must agree to disagree as it's all about opinions and as there is no real answer we could go on forever.

Well fair enough, it is pot luck. A chance I think is worth taking and you don’t.

More to the point thanks for seeing it’s just a discussion on here and that you can debate things without being insulting, condescending or downright rude. It’s rare.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:04 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
Optimistic wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:

Well fair enough, it is pot luck. A chance I think is worth taking and you don’t.

More to the point thanks for seeing it’s just a discussion on here and that you can debate things without being insulting, condescending or downright rude. It’s rare.

It's not that rare.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:36 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
Optimistic wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:

It's not that rare.

You’re not in a position to make that point considering the rest of this thread

But hey, let’s leave it there ay? I wouldn’t want to drag on another discussion (started by yourself) so that people can accuse me of clogging up another board and trolling.

The General
UTS Regular

Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:49 pm

Was at game and despair at the negative energy created by a lot of our supporters.I have supported the team for many years and until recently it has always been a pleasure to go to away games.We all stuck together and gave total support to our players during the match.We are now a pathetic bunch of discontents who suck all the pleasure out of the away experience.Many of those who criticise the players need to consider their own performance.
If you want the manager or the chairman out that is fine but for god's sake support the players during the match because whatever their limitations they are doing their best.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:55 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:
It's not that rare.

But hey, let’s leave it there ay? I wouldn’t want to drag on another discussion (started by yourself) so that people can accuse me of clogging up another board and trolling.

Just expressing an opinion, and I'm a position to write whatever I want, within reason.

Is that no longer allowed without initiating some barbed El Nombre 'feedback' :?:

It was only a decent exchange with Optimistic because he backed off. And it took him two attempts to do that.
Perhaps he didn't fancy mixing it with the boards' most pugnacious member.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:00 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:
It's not that rare.

Just expressing an opinion, and I'm a position to write whatever I want, within reason.

Is that no longer allowed without initiating some barbed El Nombre 'feedback' :?:

It was only a decent exchange with Optimistic because he backed off. And it took him two attempts to do that.

Of course you are I just suggested we leave it there. After all it’s clearly villainous to defend your position to any extent on here, no matter how subjective that position may be.

I don’t know mate, you responded to something I said. If you didn’t want to interact then I’m unsure why you did that. I’ve got no problem interacting but it was only yesterday you were crying at the horror of having to do exactly that.

Balls. It was a normal discussion and he didn’t back off twice. He made his point without “WTF” and “ABSURD” and accusing me of making up what he actually said in my own head and making out I’m any worse than yourself or anybody else on this board, that’s why it was decent. And in fact, the last part of your post proves my point. Thanks for that.

The irony of you calling me the most pugnacious member of the board considering how you responded to my post in the first place and have droned on about brexit for what feels like 50 years in another thread (and I bloody agree with you) is real.

WillenhallManiac

Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:14 pm

The General wrote:Was at game and despair at the negative energy created by a lot of our supporters.I have supported the team for many years and until recently it has always been a pleasure to go to away games.We all stuck together and gave total support to our players during the match.We are now a pathetic bunch of discontents who suck all the pleasure out of the away experience.Many of those who criticise the players need to consider their own performance.
If you want the manager or the chairman out that is fine but for god's sake support the players during the match because whatever their limitations they are doing their best.

The General is spot on. Best post on here this season.

saddlertd
UTS Veteran

Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:46 pm

WillenhallManiac wrote:
The General wrote:Was at game and despair at the negative energy created by a lot of our supporters.I have supported the team for many years and until recently it has always been a pleasure to go to away games.We all stuck together and gave total support to our players during the match.We are now a pathetic bunch of discontents who suck all the pleasure out of the away experience.Many of those who criticise the players need to consider their own performance.

The General is spot on. Best post on here this season.

Agreed. We need to start supporting the team and not keep being so negative. It’s not been a great season but we’ve had worse. Let’s get to May and see where we are.

saddlertd
UTS Veteran

Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:57 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:
It's not that rare.

Of course you are I just suggested we leave it there. After all it’s clearly villainous to defend your position to any extent on here, no matter how subjective that position may be.

I don’t know mate, you responded to something I said. If you didn’t want to interact then I’m unsure why you did that. I’ve got no problem interacting but it was only yesterday you were crying at the horror of having to do exactly that.

Balls. It was a normal discussion and he didn’t back off twice. He made his point without “WTF” and “ABSURD” and accusing me of making up what he actually said in my own head and making out I’m any worse than yourself or anybody else on this board, that’s why it was decent. And in fact, the last part of your post proves my point. Thanks for that.

The irony of you calling me the most pugnacious member of the board considering how you responded to my post in the first place and have droned on about brexit for what feels like 50 years in another thread (and I bloody agree with you) is real.

El N - you are in danger of peeing off most of the board. There are a lot of quite opinionated posters on this board, and I would include myself in that description, but most of us just want to make our point and see what others think. There doesn’t seem much give in the way you post on here which is a shame as you make some interesting points.... but the message is lost when you come over all self-righteous and infallible. Chillax, man.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:03 pm

saddlertd wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:
It's not that rare.

El N - you are in danger of peeing off most of the board. There are a lot of quite opinionated posters on this board, and I would include myself in that description, but most of us just want to make our point and see what others think. There doesn’t seem much give in the way you post on here which is a shame as you make some interesting points.... but the message is lost when you come over all self-righteous and infallible. Chillax, man.

See this is where I’m baffled. Saigon posts quoting me. I respond. He continues. I respond in kind. But somehow I’m the one who needs to chillax and comes across as self righteous. Maybe I am but I haven’t been personal about anybody in this thread. Plenty of people have been personal about me, whether it’s been offensive or not. Yourself included even if it is absolutely inoffensive, which your comment is.

It seems there are a lot of people that can’t take their own advice and accept other opinion. All this from a post that demonstrated exactly that between myself and optimistic.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:09 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
saddlertd wrote:El N - you are in danger of peeing off most of the board. There are a lot of quite opinionated posters on this board, and I would include myself in that description, but most of us just want to make our point and see what others think. There doesn’t seem much give in the way you post on here which is a shame as you make some interesting points.... but the message is lost when you come over all self-righteous and infallible. Chillax, man.

See this is where I’m baffled. Saigon posts quoting me. I respond. He continues. I respond in kind. But somehow I’m the one who needs to chillax and comes across as self righteous. Maybe I am but I haven’t been personal about anybody in this thread. Plenty of people have been personal about me, whether it’s been offensive or not. Yourself included even if it is absolutely inoffensive, which your comment is.

It seems there are a lot of people that can’t take their own advice and accept other opinion. All this from a post that demonstrated exactly that between myself and optimistic.

I posted first - then you responded to me. I didn't quote you.

I posted in reference to some overreaction bobbins on Twitter about the death of our football philosphy. It's there in my first post.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:13 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
saddlertd wrote:El N - you are in danger of peeing off most of the board. There are a lot of quite opinionated posters on this board, and I would include myself in that description, but most of us just want to make our point and see what others think. There doesn’t seem much give in the way you post on here which is a shame as you make some interesting points.... but the message is lost when you come over all self-righteous and infallible. Chillax, man.

I posted in reference to some overreaction bobbins on Twitter about the death of our football philosphy. It's there in my first post.

No you literally just did at the end of the discussion with optimistic. Or did I make that up in my own head too?

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:15 pm

A really good post THE GENERAL....I posted earlier that when I went to away games it was us versus them and not us versus us!! I don't go away much these days and one of the reasons is the sheer negativity of some of our fans. My away days covered a period of around of around 40 years and the support that was given to the team was always good. During that time we had both good and bad times and good and bad managers and at the end of games the latter was sometimes given a tongue lashing but during games the support was total and in good humour.
I presume social media is part of the reason for the change but when you get Mick Kearns on WM saying that we might have won yesterday if the fans had been more positive you know that it is an issue for the team.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:21 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:

No you literally just did at the end of the discussion with optimistic. Or did I make that up in my own head too?

You won't believe this, and you have every right not too, but I have only now, literally now, seen your page one post regarding the playing of Ozzy over other players.

I was venting about a Twitter post about 'this being the death of our football philosophy'. Read my post. I can now see why you reacted with some robustness, presumably you thought this was a roundabout attack on your position without naming you. This in turn led to my counter thrust and slight surprise at the enhanced level of debate.

We've both been responding at an elevated level of antagonism by accident. :?

chunkster
Site Addict

Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:24 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:

You won't believe this, and you have every right not too, but I have only now, literally now, seen your page one post regarding the playing of Ozzy over other players.

I was venting about a Twitter post about 'this being the death of our football philosophy'. Read my post. I can now see why you reacted with some robustness, presumably you thought this was a roundabout attack on your position without naming you. This in turn led to my counter thrust and slight surprise at the enhanced level of debate.

You pair of daft sods :lol: :lol: :lol:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:27 pm

chunkster wrote:You pair of daft sods :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is literally how WW1 happened. :(

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:27 pm

:lol:

chunkster
Site Addict

Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:34 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:

saddler wars? not quite on the same scale :lol: anyway i thought it had something to do with the assassination of some archduke Ferdinand?

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:39 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:

Hahaha! I was a little puzzled as, honestly, I’ve always had no problem with you even in debate. It’s always been respectful.

I apologise for the misunderstanding and will forget any offence I took.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:39 pm

chunkster wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:

saddler wars? not quite on the same scale :lol: anyway i thought it had something to do with the assassination of some archduke Ferdinand?

It's even possible to reference the Tweets
'Death of football our philosophy' was from our very own Neuromantic
and
'Shocking selection' from Vital Walsall.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:41 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:You won't believe this, and you have every right not too, but I have only now, literally now, seen your page one post regarding the playing of Ozzy over other players.

Hahaha! I was a little puzzled as, honestly, I’ve always had no problem with you even in debate. It’s always been respectful.

I apologise for the misunderstanding and will forget any offence I took.

Humble pie all round. I think I'm more at fault and will try and think (or at least read) a bit more in future.

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:01 am

I think everyone should stop moaning and get behind the lads! :mrgreen:

UTS Legend

Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:19 am

With all the ads and misunderstandings to scroll through, it's hard to find a football match in here.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:58 am

Guest wrote:With all the ads and misunderstandings to scroll through, it's hard to find a football match in here.

get your point , however the Football is so bad that's it actually hard to forge a conversation around it

Micky Saddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:07 am

Guest wrote:With all the ads and misunderstandings to scroll through, it's hard to find a football match in here.

Same on every single thread. Imagine the other clubs looking at our posts :lol:

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:14 am

Mazza01 wrote:

get your point , however the Football is so bad that's it actually hard to forge a conversation around it

The first goal was actually well worked on Saturday. Very good run by Morris who seems to have picked up form again and Edwards finished it off nicely.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:54 am

SoccerHQ wrote:
Mazza01 wrote:

The first goal was actually well worked on Saturday. Very good run by Morris who seems to have picked up form again and Edwards finished it off nicely.

Pity we have to rely on half backs and defenders for our goals! Someone above, obviously still in the realms of alcoholic haze, suggested that the first goal was all down to Bakayoko!? Was I at a different match?

I thought Morris had a thoroughly decent game and was the only player who seemed capable of attacking or taking on defenders (even if it didn't always come off). Will someone in our groundstaff please instruct our forwards (haha) that you only win matches by attacking and possibly scoring goals, when you look back at the match in sobriety how many shots at goal did Blackpool actually have, they would shoot at every given opportunity, we 'always' seem to want to walk the ball into the net, but we don't have the players capable of that scenario, so, it's about time we 'got real' and started to concentrate on what actually wins games!

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:10 pm

I did not go to Blackpool for just these reasons the pleasure has gone, it was us against them now it's us against us.
It started too get really bad at Doncaster with a group chanting Whitney out and chants for Andy Butler with no support for their own team even when 3-0 up.
This was also the first time walsall fans were turning on Walsall fans it was that bad.

saddlertd
UTS Veteran

Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:26 pm

Exile wrote:I think everyone should stop moaning and get behind the lads! :mrgreen:

Are you calling me a moaner? :)

PreviousNext
Return to 2017-18 Season