Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Blackpool (A) 10th Feb, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Gripper
Glitterati

Re: Blackpool (A) 10th Feb, 3pm

Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:42 pm

The General wrote:Was at game and despair at the negative energy created by a lot of our supporters.I have supported the team for many years and until recently it has always been a pleasure to go to away games.We all stuck together and gave total support to our players during the match.We are now a pathetic bunch of discontents who suck all the pleasure out of the away experience.Many of those who criticise the players need to consider their own performance.
If you want the manager or the chairman out that is fine but for god's sake support the players during the match because whatever their limitations they are doing their best.

The best is when they all sing “We want our Walsall back...”

Im 24 and many of the people signing this are probably younger...the Walsall you are watching are no different to the Walsall I’ve been watching since the age of 6.

I’m usually vocal at Away games especially after a few drinks but I dont think I even sang at all on Saturday. I don’t want to sing for the managers head at 65 minutes or start shouting for Oztumer even though he was crap last Saturday.

The first thing we sing when taking the lead is “how cack must you be? We’re winning away”. Tragic really.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:16 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:
Mazza01 wrote:
Guest wrote:With all the ads and misunderstandings to scroll through, it's hard to find a football match in here.

get your point , however the Football is so bad that's it actually hard to forge a conversation around it

The first goal was actually well worked on Saturday. Very good run by Morris who seems to have picked up form again and Edwards finished it off nicely.

Pity we have to rely on half backs and defenders for our goals! Someone above, obviously still in the realms of alcoholic haze, suggested that the first goal was all down to Bakayoko!? Was I at a different match?

I thought Morris had a thoroughly decent game and was the only player who seemed capable of attacking or taking on defenders (even if it didn't always come off). Will someone in our groundstaff please instruct our forwards (haha) that you only win matches by attacking and possibly scoring goals, when you look back at the match in sobriety how many shots at goal did Blackpool actually have, they would shoot at every given opportunity, we 'always' seem to want to walk the ball into the net, but we don't have the players capable of that scenario, so, it's about time we 'got real' and started to concentrate on what actually wins games!

You’ve already written them off haven’t you? The lads that are here until the end of the season.

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:36 pm

The General wrote:Was at game and despair at the negative energy created by a lot of our supporters.I have supported the team for many years and until recently it has always been a pleasure to go to away games.We all stuck together and gave total support to our players during the match.We are now a pathetic bunch of discontents who suck all the pleasure out of the away experience.Many of those who criticise the players need to consider their own performance.
If you want the manager or the chairman out that is fine but for god's sake support the players during the match because whatever their limitations they are doing their best.

Great post

I think we probably are the worst supporters in the league at the minute

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:37 pm

Just a mention for Joe edwards and his goal scoring competition with bakayoko

Just a goal behind now

chunkster
Site Addict

Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:43 pm

Whitney is having a slight dig at the fans in todays E&S about the fans not supporting the YOUNG team that he is so proud of, and he is right, we should get behind the team, berating them and negative attitude towards them in a game is so VERY counterproductive, it only serves to bring them down and give the opposing team a head start, but i can't help thinking that if he loves them that much, and he must know he is the reason for the negativity? then why doesn't he fall on his sword and piss off? :|

saddlersjse
UTS Regular

Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:46 pm

Gripper wrote:

Im 24 and many of the people signing this are probably younger...the Walsall you are watching are no different to the Walsall I’ve been watching since the age of 6.

I’m usually vocal at Away games especially after a few drinks but I dont think I even sang at all on Saturday. I don’t want to sing for the managers head at 65 minutes or start shouting for Oztumer even though he was crap last Saturday.

The first thing we sing when taking the lead is “how cack must you be? We’re winning away”. Tragic really.

There's a vocal minority of 18 - 21 year olds (ish) who are like it at loads of away games. I'm all for gallows humour (god knows it gets you through sometimes) but some of it is just pathetic. It's like it's their given right to just turn up and hurl abuse, it's like they think it's clever and 'banter'. And they ain't got a fudge clue.

That said, I don't remember there being this level of vitriol towards Smith from any section of fans during any of his tenure - even with the 16 games without a win. Vital that the club ends this regime in the closed season and, as I've said before, puts everyone out of their misery.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:48 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:
Mazza01 wrote:
Guest wrote:With all the ads and misunderstandings to scroll through, it's hard to find a football match in here.

get your point , however the Football is so bad that's it actually hard to forge a conversation around it

The first goal was actually well worked on Saturday. Very good run by Morris who seems to have picked up form again and Edwards finished it off nicely.

Pity we have to rely on half backs and defenders for our goals! Someone above, obviously still in the realms of alcoholic haze, suggested that the first goal was all down to Bakayoko!? Was I at a different match?

I thought Morris had a thoroughly decent game and was the only player who seemed capable of attacking or taking on defenders (even if it didn't always come off). Will someone in our groundstaff please instruct our forwards (haha) that you only win matches by attacking and possibly scoring goals, when you look back at the match in sobriety how many shots at goal did Blackpool actually have, they would shoot at every given opportunity, we 'always' seem to want to walk the ball into the net, but we don't have the players capable of that scenario, so, it's about time we 'got real' and started to concentrate on what actually wins games!

You’ve already written them off haven’t you? The lads that are here until the end of the season.

What the hell are you whinging about? Did I mention (I presume you mean the new recruits) anyone other than our 'forwards'? You would pick an argument in a phone box with no money! Think back to the match, how many times did Blackpool just shoot on site? Wouldn't it be unusual, or indeed encouraging, to see the same enthusiasm from Walsall shirts! I believe the Stoke fans think a lot of Ngoy, lets hope he lives up to their ideals, we could do with someone coming good in front of goal.

Gripper
Glitterati

Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:55 pm

saddlersjse wrote:
Gripper wrote:

There's a vocal minority of 18 - 21 year olds (ish) who are like it at loads of away games. I'm all for gallows humour (god knows it gets you through sometimes) but some of it is just pathetic. It's like it's their given right to just turn up and hurl abuse, it's like they think it's clever and 'banter'. And they ain't got a fudge clue.

That said, I don't remember there being this level of vitriol towards Smith from any section of fans during any of his tenure - even with the 16 games without a win. Vital that the club ends this regime in the closed season and, as I've said before, puts everyone out of their misery.

Makes you not want to bother mate. Staying in the house would be less depressing.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:32 am

Ancient Moaner wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:
Mazza01 wrote:

What the hell are you whinging about? Did I mention (I presume you mean the new recruits) anyone other than our 'forwards'? You would pick an argument in a phone box with no money! Think back to the match, how many times did Blackpool just shoot on site? Wouldn't it be unusual, or indeed encouraging, to see the same enthusiasm from Walsall shirts! I believe the Stoke fans think a lot of Ngoy, lets hope he lives up to their ideals, we could do with someone coming good in front of goal.

Whingeing? I asked a question? (That you still haven’t answered by the way) How can you have a go at anybody else for whingeing!

But yes, those lads would count as forwards. You’ve already slagged them both off elsewhere in this thread which I picked up on and didn’t reply.

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:48 am

El_Nombre wrote:You’ve already slagged them both off elsewhere in this thread which I picked up on and didn’t reply.

Not like you to pick up on something and not immediately go into shrill harridan mode and impose your world view on everyone else instantly. Are you losing your touch?

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:56 am

saddlersjse wrote:
Gripper wrote:

Whitney doesn’t do himself any favours with some of the stuff he comes out with in the press. He acknowledges he’s not popular with fans but always has to make a sly dig. All it does is rile fans up further and create an evermore toxic atmosphere. He seems to be determined to paint a picture that the fans are against his players and he’s supporting them constantly. The reality is that most fans are against Whitney himself and it’s Whitney himself that sees no problem in blaming his players as soon as things go wrong.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:44 am

#prayforjon

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:48 am

SaddlerSteve wrote:
saddlersjse wrote:
Gripper wrote:

Whitney doesn’t do himself any favours with some of the stuff he comes out with in the press. He acknowledges he’s not popular with fans but always has to make a sly dig. All it does is rile fans up further and create an evermore toxic atmosphere. He seems to be determined to paint a picture that the fans are against his players and he’s supporting them constantly. The reality is that most fans are against Whitney himself and it’s Whitney himself that sees no problem in blaming his players as soon as things go wrong.
exactly, he is the first to come out after a poor performance and blame the lads he is so proud of, but when we criticise we are out of order, the difference is, it costs US money we’re as he gets paid to watch the crap. The more I listen to his whittering the more I am beginning to see him as a complete moron

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:29 pm

Exile wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:You’ve already slagged them both off elsewhere in this thread which I picked up on and didn’t reply.

Not like you to pick up on something and not immediately go into shrill harridan mode and impose your world view on everyone else instantly. Are you losing your touch?

Clearly...

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:24 pm

chunkster wrote:
SaddlerSteve wrote:
saddlersjse wrote:
Gripper wrote:

exactly, he is the first to come out after a poor performance and blame the lads he is so proud of, but when we criticise we are out of order, the difference is, it costs US money we’re as he gets paid to watch the crap. The more I listen to his whittering the more I am beginning to see him as a complete moron

I agree. I used to quite like him but thought he wasn't very good at his job.

I still have the same views about his managerial talents but now I'm starting to see him for the two-faced, hypocritical bloke he is.

It's way past time we parted company.

Previous
Return to 2017-18 Season