Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Milton Keynes Dons (H) 3rd Feb, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Re: Milton Keynes Dons (H) 3rd Feb, 3pm

Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:08 pm

chunkster wrote:Good win :D but please start with the team that we ended with against Blackpool john :|

Indeed, if he were to start with Baka next week and I was one of the 'so concerned' Directors, he would most deffo get the push, bad timing or no bad timing.
Great victory, much needed points on the board, but need it have been such a struggle against possibly one of the worst form teams in the League at present?
Hopefully see ya all at Balckpool next week.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:18 pm

A first ever home league win against the Dongas and only our 4th clean sheet in 29 League One matches. I'll take that for now.

UTS

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:22 pm

Few points

Poor performance but I’m going to praise Whitney here. Oztumer was extremely poor and looked disinterested today. Absolutely deserved to be subbed and it paid off. Fair play Whitney.

Bakayoko. He is abysmal.

Roberts is a superb keeper.

Defence were pretty solid but MK Dons were dreadful.

Ngoy looks a good player!!

A much needed win. UTS

Also, a quick message for those booing the Oztumer sub, you are fudge clueless.
Last edited by scott_powell on Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:24 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
chunkster wrote:Good win :D but please start with the team that we ended with against Blackpool john :|

Indeed, if he were to start with Baka next week and I was one of the 'so concerned' Directors, he would most deffo get the push, bad timing or no bad timing.
Great victory, much needed points on the board, but need it have been such a struggle against possibly one of the worst form teams in the League at present?
Hopefully see ya all at Balckpool next week.

As Whitney in his post game interview appears to be crediting both Bakayoko and Oztumer for providing the pressure leading up to Ngoys goal (despite them leaving the pitch) I’d say it’s highly likely he’ll start with Baka again next game and bring the loans off the bench again.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:28 pm

Very important win, especially given the teams around us picking up points.

Disappointing that some never learn with respect to slagging off our young players - Bakayoko now the regular target :(

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:33 pm

BathSaddler wrote:A first ever home league win against the Dongas

I stand to be corrected, & Google is no help, but I'm sure I recall the same scoreline against the McPrawns, with Holden bungling in the winner, about 5 or 6 years ago.

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:34 pm

2 very poor sides with little or no creativity or skill but a good result for us.
have to say mk dons one of the poorest sides ive seen for a few years but we weren't much better
not a lot to say other than well done on the result and well done to the manager for bringing on an attacking threat

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:43 pm

cack game between two cack teams. The 0-0 draw was robbed. We just now need to find 5 equally cack teams to play and the rent cheque will be safe again for next season.

Gripper
Glitterati

Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:44 pm

Dobson - my MOTM.

Deserved win. MK Dons were absolutely awful. Also - howcome they bought as many today as Shrewsbury usually do?

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:46 pm

Bakas miss had a hint the old “never gonna make it”s about it. He put a shift in but that’s about it. He may well be finished.

Thought we played alright today, defended well enough to limit them to shots from 40 yards. We deserved the win. MK dons are gloriously crap.

I can’t wait till we fudge Gillespie off, fraud. Roberts is streets ahead of him. Chambers and Dobson were solid, and even Morris had a decent game in my opinion. Edwards was superb, yet again.

Ngoy had the pace and skill to get us the goal, although their keeper should stop it all day long.

More positives than negatives for once, and that is what I’m taking away from this game.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:47 pm

Some right miserable Scunthorpe support Walsall too, ones that can’t handle their ale and get a bit mouthy.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:51 pm

boringteacher wrote:cack game between two cack teams. The 0-0 draw was robbed. We just now need to find 5 equally cack teams to play and the rent cheque will be safe again for next season.

Well we’ve got the opportunity considering we’re playing loads of teams in the bottom half in our run in! :?

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:54 pm

boringteacher wrote:cack game between two cack teams. The 0-0 draw was robbed. We just now need to find 5 equally cack teams to play and the rent cheque will be safe again for next season.

Remaining fixtures this season:

Blackpool (A)
Doncaster (H)
Rochdale (H)
Oldham (A)
Bury (H)
Wimbledon (H)
Northampton (H)
Fleetwood (A)

Should be a few there.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:55 pm

chestersaddler wrote:Very important win, especially given the teams around us picking up points.

Disappointing that some never learn with respect to slagging off our young players - Bakayoko now the regular target :(

Baka needs to be dropped for his own good.
Whitney keeps sticking him in hoping he’ll all of a sudden come good and completely ignoring that his form is consistently poor and forcing him into the team every week is to his detriment.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:06 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:

Remaining fixtures this season:

Blackpool (A)
Doncaster (H)
Rochdale (H)
Oldham (A)
Bury (H)
Wimbledon (H)
Northampton (H)
Fleetwood (A)

Should be a few there.

Yes. We’ve got 17 games left and in those we’re playing every single team from 14th place (2 points ahead of us) downwards and except MK Dons who we just played.
That accounts for 10 of the 17 we should be looking to get something out of and you’d hope we could win at least half of those 10.

If we don’t beat the likes of Bury & Rochdale (both home games) we deserve to go down.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:10 pm

Static first half, better in the 2nd.

Subs were roundly mocked behind the goal but to be fair came good in the end.

3 points more important than the performance on this occasion.

Clean sheetastic!

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:31 pm

EvenFlow wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:A first ever home league win against the Dongas

I stand to be corrected, & Google is no help, but I'm sure I recall the same scoreline against the McPrawns, with Holden bungling in the winner, about 5 or 6 years ago.

You're right, Evenflow. A last day win in 2010, to a backdrop of protests and Cypriot flags in abundance.

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:49 pm

A drab game but the 3 points were the vital thing.
Having seen Roberts at Charlton & today I think he has gained enormously in confidence & really looks a substantial keeper now. Presumably Ngoy will be on the bench next week and Bakayoko can add to his tally of clear misses. We shall see.
Franchise were rubbish and I hope they go down!

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:52 pm

A poor game and a poorish performance BUT 3PTS!!!! The result was the only thing that mattered today and we got it.
One or two points...the 2 new lads up front looked raw to me and will take some time to settle in but the Stokey clearly has an eye for goal. I agree with SCOTT about Ozzy JW was not wrong to take him off. Finally my man of the match was Edwards although a number of others pushed him close...Dobson for one and our excellent goalie.

m&m
Glitterati

Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:02 pm

Poor game but a welcome 3 points.
Hopefully we will get some good news that Liam Roberts has signed a new contract soon.
Don’t let another one get away please and pay him the going rate.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:08 pm

scott_powell wrote:Few points

Poor performance but I’m going to praise Whitney here. Oztumer was extremely poor and looked disinterested today. Absolutely deserved to be subbed and it paid off. Fair play Whitney.

Bakayoko. He is abysmal.

A much needed win. UTS

Yowm fudge clueless.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:24 pm

How did Fitzwater play?

Clean sheet on his debut has to be a positive.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:38 pm

http://www.sitdownorwellstealyourclub.c ... f=2&t=1000

This is worth a chuckle. :mrgreen:

Big fans of the Saddlers club which is ironic given the thread on the main forum.
Last edited by SoccerHQ on Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:41 pm

tinned wrote:

Bakayoko. He is abysmal.

A much needed win. UTS

Yowm fudge clueless.

Well I was in agreement with that sub and it paid off didn’t it. But nah, let’s just boo because we can :wink:

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:55 pm

scott_powell wrote:
tinned wrote:

Bakayoko. He is abysmal.

A much needed win. UTS

Yowm fudge clueless.

Well I was in agreement with that sub and it paid off didn’t it. But nah, let’s just boo because we can :wink:

Nah, let's boo because Whitless is a clueless fudge.

PT
Site Addict

Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:09 pm

Good result. There were some good bits, some bad bits and a lot of bits where nowt happened.

On Baka, I think he does need a break from starting. There’s a player in there and he needs nurturing. He’s had a lot of game time this season and will have learned a lot. But Whitney’s perseverance with him could ultimately harm him and the team. We had a £2.5m - £5m striker with us between August and January. Consistently picking Baka ahead of him was unfair on everyone and I reckon cost us points. Let’s not make the same mistake in the balance of the season.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:36 pm

tinned wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
tinned wrote:

Bakayoko. He is abysmal.

A much needed win. UTS

Yowm fudge clueless.

He wasn’t regarding the Oztumer sub though

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:39 pm

scott_powell wrote:
tinned wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
tinned wrote:

Bakayoko. He is abysmal.

A much needed win. UTS

Yowm fudge clueless.

He wasn’t regarding the Oztumer sub though

I refer to my earlier post :-)

Whitters
Site Addict

Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:42 pm

Well done lads.

I note also that this thread is currently only 3 pages long despite all the auto-correct rambling at the start.
The previous game had a 6 page thread and we lost.
Proves it to me that when we lose the threads are longer.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:32 pm

PT wrote:Good result. There were some good bits, some bad bits and a lot of bits where nowt happened.

On Baka, I think he does need a break from starting. There’s a player in there and he needs nurturing. He’s had a lot of game time this season and will have learned a lot. But Whitney’s perseverance with him could ultimately harm him and the team. We had a £2.5m - £5m striker with us between August and January. Consistently picking Baka ahead of him was unfair on everyone and I reckon cost us points. Let’s not make the same mistake in the balance of the season.

Have to agree wholeheartedly here, both you and Saddlersteve, have made viable points about Whitney consistently picking Baka as 'first on the hymn sheet' week in week out. How many times this year have we seen 'Baka misses a great chance' or 'Baka shot is close but misses to the left/right/too high' It gets monotonous eventually.
He is/could be a big strong lad, perfect for an up front role, but lets face it, at the moment he will never make it in a Walsall shirt. Get the lad out on loan to a 4th Division or Conference side let him actually get some goals, build his confidence, cus currently it's shot to pieces obviously!

PreviousNext
Return to 2017-18 Season