Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Milton Keynes Dons (H) 3rd Feb, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Re: Milton Keynes Dons (H) 3rd Feb, 3pm

Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:46 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:http://www.sitdownorwellstealyourclub.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1000

This is worth a chuckle. :mrgreen:

Big fans of the Saddlers club which is ironic given the thread on the main forum.

Pretty hilarious.
I’ve lived in MK for over 25 years and they seem to conveniently forget that it has its fair share of sink estates that really are shitholes and many are within a stones throw of their flashy stadium.

Their stadium is also nowhere near the town centre, it’s sandwiched between several industrial estates, next to retail parks, chain restaurants, drive thrus and shops.
If you want to find a decent pub you either have to go out your way to the town centre which is miles from the ground or find a local pub hidden away in Bletchley or the industrial estate.

Their stadium may be shiny and new but it’s location is not much different our own. I’d suggest we have better transport links though with the motorway and railway almost direct to the ground.

The guy complaining about not getting a drinknin the ground but going on about having a nice whiskey or Peroni. What else does he want? Prawn sandwiches? :lol:

And on the subject of depriving fans of a drink in the ground I seem to remember a game at their place a few seasons back where they refused to reopen the bars at half time because they thought our fans had drunk too much. Snowflakes! :lol:

saddla
Site Addict

Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:11 pm

scott_powell wrote:Few points

Poor performance but I’m going to praise Whitney here. Oztumer was extremely poor and looked disinterested today. Absolutely deserved to be subbed and it paid off. Fair play Whitney.

Bakayoko. He is abysmal.

Roberts is a superb keeper.

Defence were pretty solid but MK Dons were dreadful.

Ngoy looks a good player!!

A much needed win. UTS

Also, a quick message for those booing the Oztumer sub, you are fudge clueless.

I'm really getting worried now! For the first time I agree wholeheartedly with one of Scott's posts :shock:

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:17 pm

saddla wrote:

Poor performance but I’m going to praise Whitney here. Oztumer was extremely poor and looked disinterested today. Absolutely deserved to be subbed and it paid off. Fair play Whitney.

Bakayoko. He is abysmal.

A much needed win. UTS

I'm really getting worried now! For the first time I agree wholeheartedly with one of Scott's posts :shock:
Ye but look at the time :mrgreen:

saddlertd
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:48 pm

BathSaddler wrote:A first ever home league win against the Dongas and only our 4th clean sheet in 29 League One matches. I'll take that for now.

UTS

I didn’t realise that. I think I’ve seen most of the home defeats!

UTS Legend

Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:23 am

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:09 am

Fizzy Water was man of the match for me. Says a lot about the people slating that signing.

First truly bad game I’ve seen Oztumer have in a while so the boos are completely understandable. For so long he’s looked the only player capable of creating something so not surprised the fans wanted him kept on no matter how bad a game he was having.

As for the people on about cack teams, yeah probably but we were better. So f*** it. The win was mattered.

PT
Site Addict

Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:24 am

On Ozzy - I get both sides. He wasn’t at his best yesterday so deserved the hook as much as anyone based on that performance.

BUT - you’re trying to find a bit of magic from somewhere, a key to unlock a defence in the final third of a game. Who, at our club would usually fit that bill, regardless of his performance on that day to that point?

itasaddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:02 am

Poor game but the result is what matters.

Impressed with Fitzwater, he was actually leading that back line doing all the talking and he's the one with the least experience perhaps says a lot at the predicament we found ourselves in before the game.

saddla
Site Addict

Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:30 am

PT wrote:On Ozzy - I get both sides. He wasn’t at his best yesterday so deserved the hook as much as anyone based on that performance.

BUT - you’re trying to find a bit of magic from somewhere, a key to unlock a defence in the final third of a game. Who, at our club would usually fit that bill, regardless of his performance on that day to that point?

Ngoy? :mrgreen:

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:44 am

saddla wrote:

Bakayoko. He is abysmal.

A much needed win. UTS

I never thought it possible either but I completely agree with Scott. With regards to Ozzy he had done all he could in this game and we needed the two strikers to get a chance. With a few better passes they could clearly have had more.

PT
Site Addict

Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:22 pm

If as some thought, the business in the window is an indicator that we’ll go 352, then we could accommodate Ozzy and two forwards. Leaves us a bit narrow and there’s always a chance it turns into 532 but given current personnel well worth a go.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:51 pm

Surely Ozzy can just take Morris's place?

Him, two forwards and still three sitting midfielders behind them.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:06 pm

Whitney made the right decision taking Oztumer off. Morris did more than Oztumer so why should he be taken off? Ozzy seemed disinterested and off the pace so it was the correct decision. It was also correct to keep Dobson, Chambers and Edwards on to help see out the game if we were to get in front which we did. I find it baffling some are still questioning the subs. That substitute helped win us the game, it’s that simple. It may hurt, but how about we give credit where it’s due for once? It was a bold substitute to make and it was the correct one which helped win us the game.

PT
Site Addict

Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:55 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:Surely Ozzy can just take Morris's place?

Him, two forwards and still three sitting midfielders behind them.

I agree but I’d also bring in Bielik to form a three at the back which gives Leahy more licence to play to his strengths.

I’d go:

Roberts
Guthrie Bielik Fitzwater
Devlin Leahy
Chambers Edwards
Oztumer
Ngoy Shaibu

Gillespie
Kinsella
Roberts
Dobson
Couvelier
Morris
Bakayoko

Devlin gets the nod simply because Kinsella is orthodox full back rather than a wing-back.

Harsh on Dobson possibly but has to be two from three in that role and I think the other two sit better and would cover the gaps wide better.

And that bench gives us far more options to switch it about if required.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:27 pm

I guess the same mongs booing the Oztumer sub are the same ones who boo Chambers for making a sensible safe pass when we are 1-0 up cause “tay forwuds”.

Some fudge spanner’s support us I tell ya.

Morris was decent yesterday, if not spectacular.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:46 pm

I'm no Morris hater btw but he seems to have become a heavily criticised player on this forum for not kicking on last 18 months (which I don't think is all his fault).

Good to hear he had a decent game yesterday.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:00 am

Poor performance against what I can only describe as a terrible MK Dons side, never have I seen a team so lethargic and disinterested it was very bizarre.

I think the two loan strikers really did highlight how useless Baka actually is , with both looking to run off the defenders and actually beat their man it really was refreshing for the short time it lasted.

Personally I think Chambers is coming to an end, and with Edwards and Dobson showing better energy and quality throughout the game I think id prefer them as a middle two.

Luckily for us there are 4 worse teams , we should just about survive but its going to be a close one.

Whitney out still..

sid swifty
Glitterati

Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:02 pm

latviancheese wrote:I guess the same mongs booing the Oztumer sub are the same ones who boo Chambers for making a sensible safe pass when we are 1-0 up cause “tay forwuds”.

Some fudge spanner’s support us I tell ya.

Morris was decent yesterday, if not spectacular.

Don't you think people who pay to go to the match are allowed to express what they are feeling without being called "mongs & spanners?

Michal
UTS Regular

Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:40 pm

Mazza01 wrote:I think the two loan strikers really did highlight how useless Baka actually is

Two seasons ago Baka played once, as a substitute in FA Cup. Previous season he started 18 league games. This season he started 3 games in EFL Trophy, one in EFL Cup and 21 in league. We still have February, but he played nearly the same amount of minutes. So tired, exhausted rather than useless. He needs 2-3 weeks of rest. I would sent him on a vacation.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:59 pm

Michal wrote:
Mazza01 wrote:I think the two loan strikers really did highlight how useless Baka actually is

Two seasons ago Baka played once, as a substitute in FA Cup. Previous season he started 18 league games. This season he started 3 games in EFL Trophy, one in EFL Cup and 21 in league. We still have February, but he played nearly the same amount of minutes. So tired, exhausted rather than useless. He needs 2-3 weeks of rest. I would sent him on a vacation.

Yes lets send him to the Conference for a few months, hopefully it may help him improve.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:31 pm

Michal wrote:

Send him on a vacation.He's supposed to be a professional athlete in his prime

Michal
UTS Regular

Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:46 pm

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:Send him on a vacation.He's supposed to be a professional athlete in his prime

I would give him some time to rethink few things about his career. Probably he won't be a world-beater, but can be a good footy player. His contract runs out this June, so a little break could help him rediscover form and team to gain few valuable points later. And he's still 22, some players start later.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:45 pm

But who would take any bet that he will not be starting up front again on Saturday?

Remember, Whitney thinks he is the best striker in all 3 EFL Divisions...we ALL agree don't we? :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bakayoko shoots...misses to the right/left/slightly too high/hits the corner flag/scuffs his shot/trips etc..... yet, he STILL gets picked week in week out, I've toldya Whitney owes him money, HAS to be the answer.

chunkster
Site Addict

Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:16 pm

Could we send Baka on a very long holiday? say until just after his contract ends :mrgreen: To be fair to the lad, he has been misused by an inadequate manager, whitney has a lot to answer for when it comes to his misuse of him AND other young players :|

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:21 pm

I would remind you all that Baka. did score against Oxford only 4 matches ago.......give the lad a break . He is trying hard and deserves our support.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:54 am

Walsallone wrote:I would remind you all that Baka. did score against Oxford only 4 matches ago.......give the lad a break . He is trying hard and deserves our support.

Oh wow amazing........ he's rubbish. As the modern phrase goes "robbing a living"

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:45 am

Nothing like supporting one of our own is there MAZZA? He is not rubbish but there is certainly room for improvement but he has had some good games recently.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:09 am

Walsallone wrote:Nothing like supporting one of our own is there MAZZA? He is not rubbish but there is certainly room for improvement but he has had some good games recently.

He works hard but so does Flanagan.I don't think thats enough, had he been a loan player and not one of our own he wouldn't have lasted long.

saddlersjse
UTS Regular

Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:13 pm

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:
Walsallone wrote:Nothing like supporting one of our own is there MAZZA? He is not rubbish but there is certainly room for improvement but he has had some good games recently.

He works hard but so does Flanagan.I don't think thats enough, had he been a loan player and not one of our own he wouldn't have lasted long.

And here's the key defining factor of the Whitney era - in his eyes, running about and showing some 'passion', 'commitment' and 'desire' trumps actual skill most of the time. He even literally says that in many post-match interviews, like v Blackburn last week.

Classic example - April 2016. Sheff Utd 2-0 Walsall and one of the defining blows to our automatic promotion. Starts Flanagan for the first time since November 2015 because he 'showed commitment in training' or words to that affect. By half time we were 2-0 down and the awful Flanagan was hauled off. Sheff Utd had nothing to play for at that stage either.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:41 pm

saddlersjse wrote:
NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:

And here's the key defining factor of the Whitney era - in his eyes, running about and showing some 'passion', 'commitment' and 'desire' trumps actual skill most of the time. He even literally says that in many post-match interviews, like v Blackburn last week.

Classic example - April 2016. Sheff Utd 2-0 Walsall and one of the defining blows to our automatic promotion. Starts Flanagan for the first time since November 2015 because he 'showed commitment in training' or words to that affect. By half time we were 2-0 down and the awful Flanagan was hauled off. Sheff Utd had nothing to play for at that stage either.

Couldn't agree more , I watched him closely on Saturday and he massively lacks in the skill department. The majority of his knock downs or lay offs rarely find a team mate , and never will you see him beat his man with a trick or a turn.

Whitney has propelled him into a false position with his blind faith in youth , under Smith he struggled to make the bench because technically he offered little to the team.

Previous
Return to 2017-18 Season