Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Blackburn Rovers (A) Tue Jan 30th, 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
kshammer
Site Addict

Re: Blackburn Rovers (A) Tue Jan 30th, 7.45pm

Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:01 pm

Walsallone wrote:yes of course we care....nobody should boycott the game but get down there and support the team...the young lads we are playing need our support. Forget about Bonser for 90 minutes then protest as much as you like.

Each to their own but how many more years do we do that for? 5, 10, 20?

saddlertd
UTS Veteran

Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:02 pm

kshammer wrote:
tinned wrote:
kshammer wrote:Its not about tonight in isolation either.

Wait for the usual suspects (we can all guess who) to come on here with "all this negativity after a match we never expected to win".

Couldn't give a toss who says what. Ive stuck with Walsall through everything in recent years, and may still do, but the older I get the less I like being treated like a mug. The contempt for fans is not even hidden anymore and so its time to consider whether I can be bothered anymore. That's not me judging, sniping or anything similar its just genuine weariness of it now.

That’s exactly the word: “weariness”. I’m so tired of all this now, Bonser’s ground me down. It’s such a shame; I’ve had some great memories following my hometown club but it all seems so pointless now. I don’t want to support Walsall Financial Concern, I want to have pride in Walsall Football Club.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:02 pm

Walsallone wrote:yes of course we care....nobody should boycott the game but get down there and support the team...the young lads we are playing need our support. Forget about Bonser for 90 minutes then protest as much as you like.

The very outcome of Bonser's greed is displayed for our displeasure ON the field of play.

Pretending it isn't happening is going to solve the problem.

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:04 pm

I understand your opinions. Like most fans, my first instinct is to cheer and shout for the lads.

More and more often though I am of the opinion that the outcome of one match (and even a single season) is not as important as obtaining change at the club. Going down would be a disaster, keeping Bonser in situ and draining money from the club could be terminal.

I say protest, protest, protest until this leech is removed from our club.

saddlertd
UTS Veteran

Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:08 pm

kshammer wrote:

Each to their own but how many more years do we do that for? 5, 10, 20?

The lease for the Banks’s is for another 70-odd years isn’t it? Presumably we have to keep paying Bonser's Pension Fund till around 2090 don’t we? That’s probably another £30-£40million. If Bonser won’t do the decent thing then I think it’s time for AFC Walsall.

coop63
Glitterati

Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:12 pm

Walsallone wrote:It is not useful to desert the team...sorry but I don't agree with you on this. Thursday's meeting should be interesting!!!!

I respect that and I’m not for a minute expecting a huge load of agreement for my thoughts (you’re actually being very polite mate) but to my mind, our loyalty as fans is being totally abused - ultimately we are customers and I am realistic enough to know that it’s football and it’s Walsall so winning is something we cherish and is more often than not, elusive but that said, respect and passion for the shirt is always paramount - when the owner shows no respect, no passion and frankly a dismissive attitude towards us, then it’s time to make a stand... that’s my point.

Someone mentioned on an earlier thread about the darker days for some of the big clubs with Wolves getting 4K and Man U getting 5/6k - there comes a time when you simply HAVE TO DO SOMETHING TO EFFECT CHANGE.. In my opinion, for Walsall FC, that time has arrived....

It’s not about being relegated - been there seen that etc etc - it’s different. This is about an abuse of trust and confidence and I can’t bear to see a pariah strip us of everything we hold dear. I’d rather the option of AFC Walsall which I never thought I’d say...

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:16 pm

I better not say anything, I think it's all been said above. One thing I can Guarantee, Bonser won't be at that meeting.

Don't think Whitney will be sacked, don't think we will be making any more signings, we just have to get used to the fact that we will most probably be in Division 4 next season.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:17 pm

Whitney Out. Now.

Tomorrow is massive.

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:21 pm

Currently the club is like a person being kept alive on a life support machine, for the sole purpose of providing spare parts for one man. The club is having its insides ripped out for the financial benefit of one person. It's time all those that care about the club stand together and rid ourselves of this person.

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:22 pm

coop63 wrote:
Walsallone wrote:It is not useful to desert the team...sorry but I don't agree with you on this. Thursday's meeting should be interesting!!!!

I respect that and I’m not for a minute expecting a huge load of agreement for my thoughts (you’re actually being very polite mate) but to my mind, our loyalty as fans is being totally abused - ultimately we are customers and I am realistic enough to know that it’s football and it’s Walsall so winning is something we cherish and is more often than not, elusive but that said, respect and passion for the shirt is always paramount - when the owner shows no respect, no passion and frankly a dismissive attitude towards us, then it’s time to make a stand... that’s my point.

Someone mentioned on an earlier thread about the darker days for some of the big clubs with Wolves getting 4K and Man U getting 5/6k - there comes a time when you simply HAVE TO DO SOMETHING TO EFFECT CHANGE.. In my opinion, for Walsall FC, that time has arrived....

It’s not about being relegated - been there seen that etc etc - it’s different. This is about an abuse of trust and confidence and I can’t bear to see a pariah strip us of everything we hold dear. I’d rather the option of AFC Walsall which I never thought I’d say...
I have the pariahs address if you are interested :wink:

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:24 pm

Whitney criticising the players for failing to execute the gameplan again.... :roll:

Tick tock.

coop63
Glitterati

Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:26 pm

chunkster wrote:
coop63 wrote:

Not for me thanks....

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:26 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:Whitney criticising the players for failing to execute the gameplan again.... :roll:

Tick tock.
Ye that's just it tick tock tick tock etc etc etc :|

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:27 pm

coop63 wrote:
chunkster wrote:
coop63 wrote:

Not for me thanks....

Only jesting coop :wink:

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:30 pm

I've supported Walsall long enough to know a relegation season when I see one. It's been obvious for a few weeks that we were going to struggle, but the loss of players and lack of action to replace them has made it even more clear that we are unlikely to survive. We need a striker, creative midfielder and centre half now, but we seem determined to rely on a disjointed squad of predominantly young players who are either not ready or never will be.

Whitney out, but above all, Bonser out, the club cannot stand the toxicity of his reign any longer.

kshammer
Site Addict

Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:35 pm

One of the highlights of watching us used to be seeing the kids get a chance.

Now its lambs to the slaughter led by an idiot.

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:36 pm

The way I read his comments he's blaming players agents wanting them to leave. He's blaming players for not doing what he says and players moaning after.

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:39 pm

clawtheolder wrote:The way I read his comments he's blaming players agents wanting them to leave. He's blaming players for not doing what he says and players moaning after.
In all my years of watching pro football i don't think i have ever heard a manager say that about his team which proves the point that he is in no way a football manager :|

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:41 pm

Protest. Everyone protest. Force the leech out. Stop complaining and do something. Even If that means not buying food/drink at the ground at least you’re doing your part. Just do something, anything, everyone!!

Whitney out too, incompetent idiot.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:43 pm

That squad tonight would struggle to survive in L2.

No point sacking JW as no proper manager could keep this shower of shite up , and the powers to be have sat on their hands doing nothing.

Its like they are the band who refuse to stop playing when the ship is moments from sinking, either too stubborn to give the paying customers what they want or just oblivious too it all.

Fish
UTS Veteran

Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:52 pm

Walsallone wrote:The result could have been much worse and at least it hasn't damaged the goal difference too much but the team we had to put out was weak and the events of the past few weeks have made me angry. It takes a lot to get me upset but this January has been very depressing for all our fans. Lets hope we can get some players in tomorrow who can add some muscle and experience to this team. A CH and another forward are the bare minimum required.

I don't think you get it. The very least that we need is a new manager because it doesn't matter what players we bring in, Whiney is incapable of setting them up and moulding them into a team. He's a chest thumping one trick pony who is out of his depth.

Someone above said that the rot set in at the end of last season. I disagree, it was the end of the season before. Bonser has come in for a lot of stick but his real contribution to this mess was giving an unproven manager a three year contract - and there were plenty of warning signs in the Barnsley defeat that he should have taken notice of. Last season the football was rubbish - the writing has been on the wall for a long time.

Back to my point. You can buy a Jaguar, but if the driver can't drive, it'll end up in a ditch, Jag or not.

Whitney out. NOW

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:55 pm

BathSaddler wrote:I've supported Walsall long enough to know a relegation season when I see one. It's been obvious for a few weeks that we were going to struggle, but the loss of players and lack of action to replace them has made it even more clear that we are unlikely to survive. We need a striker, creative midfielder and centre half now, but we seem determined to rely on a disjointed squad of predominantly young players who are either not ready or never will be.

Whitney out, but above all, Bonser out, the club cannot stand the toxicity of his reign any longer.

I was seriously worried by what I saw during the summer and indeed the first few weeks of the season, it was basically this current squad really struggling.

The first half of the season was salvaged by getting in Wilson, Roberts, Agyei and Ismail in the final two weeks. They all had differing loan spells but all contributed to getting crucial wins and points on the board.

I think it's very optimistic to think that sort of proven league one quality will turn up tomorrow so yes what was looking like a bog standard mid table season is turning into a serious relegation battle due to massive complacency/penny pinching from the ownership.

Fish
UTS Veteran

Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:56 pm

IHTC. wrote:That squad tonight would struggle to survive in L2.

[b]No point sacking JW as no proper manager could keep this shower of shite up[/b] , and the powers to be have sat on their hands doing nothing.

Its like they are the band who refuse to stop playing when the ship is moments from sinking, either too stubborn to give the paying customers what they want or just oblivious too it all.

I get most of what you say, but not that. If we're going down we need to go down fighting and be ready for next season. A new managers can in no way be worse than the bloke we have now.

He should have gone ages ago.

Fish
UTS Veteran

Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:03 pm

Tonight's Whitney Balls:

E&S:

“I thought we were poor,” ...
“We didn’t stick to the game plan...
“We knew their threat. We know that Blackburn and Wigan are two really strong teams.
“But we were so naïve in the first 10 minutes. We were looking to play when it wasn’t on to play.
“That is decision making the players have got to accept. I cannot protect them from that.
“I think we were lucky to go in at half-time only 2-1 down.
''I think if you’ve only got two or three of your players performing then you aren’t going to go to Blackburn and get a result.
“I think we all need to look at ourselves individually and work out what went wrong.
“I can accept being beaten by a better team. But we gave them two goals through our own naivety and that has given us a massive mountain to climb.
"At times it was too easy for them.
“You can’t go to Blackburn and expect to stop them on the run they are on with some of the decisions we made.”

What's the old adage? ''A poor workman always blames his tools''

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:24 pm

https://audioboom.com/posts/6628943-jon-whitney-after-the-3-1-defeat-to-blackburn-if-only-2-or-3-players-perform-you-re-not-going-to-come-to-blackburn-and-get-a-result

Prat. Obviously not his fault. Always the players decision making. fudge Whitney.

Fair play to WM on actually questioning him properly. No Masi rimjob here.

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:54 pm

just got back

men against boys from start to finish but when their striker is on an alledged 30k per week then its hard to compete with them.
this squad looks like something Solihull moors would field in the non league
the players are poor they cannot do the things we need them to do in this league
is that their fault or the fault of the manager/club that have signed them.
we are now in a relegation scrap ad mk dons and blackpool matches are crucial must wins.
I never even got up to celebrate our gaol today you could barely hear our lot tbh.
bear in mind its been 16 years since we played at their ground not many turned up and tbh the ones that did deserve a medal.
this club is lost and needs to find its way somehow.
I would like the club to make a statement admitting were in a relegation scrap and either backing or sacking the manager then at least we can choose to turn up or not.
earlybirds out soon so if you fancy a protest don't buy one or leave it until the last day.
the trouble is mugs like me will always buy one because we support the club and it works out cheaper and you haven't got to queue for 20mins to get your ticket on matchday.

long in the tooth now probably not as bad as hutchings and oconnor days but not far off

UTS Legend

Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:02 am

The goals. A fairly muted celebration of our goal from the players themselves, as if, even at 2-1, they already knew it was only going to be a consolation goal.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1O9JCj4 ... p=drivesdk

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:18 am

Guest wrote:The goals. A fairly muted celebration of our goal from the players themselves, as if, even at 2-1, they already knew it was only going to be a consolation goal.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1O9JCj4 ... p=drivesdk

Nobody waved?

Gripper
Glitterati

Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:45 am

I genuinely think if we get in a highly paid journeyman striker our fortunes will change.

Joking aside - it is worrying. We could’ve won at Charlton had we of taken our chances IMO...however tonight it sounds like we rolled over. This happens far too often.

What (in terms of points) is the usual L1 safety net?..it’s too late to sack him we have just got to put up with it unfortunately.

Brandon Flowers
UTS Regular

Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:06 am

scott_powell wrote:https://audioboom.com/posts/6628943-jon-whitney-after-the-3-1-defeat-to-blackburn-if-only-2-or-3-players-perform-you-re-not-going-to-come-to-blackburn-and-get-a-result

Prat. Obviously not his fault. Always the players decision making. fudge Whitney.

Fair play to WM on actually questioning him properly. No Masi rimjob here.

Having listened to that, why is this self-righteous clown still managing our football team???
When we lose " he can't defend players decision making" blah blah blah
When we win " they're a special group" blah blah blah

He gives the same pathetic post match rhetoric 22 months on as he did at Oldham and Sheffield in April 2016. It made no sense then, and none now!

PreviousNext
Return to 2017-18 Season