Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Blackburn Rovers (A) Tue Jan 30th, 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Re: Blackburn Rovers (A) Tue Jan 30th, 7.45pm

Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:36 am

Brandon Flowers wrote:
scott_powell wrote:https://audioboom.com/posts/6628943-jon-whitney-after-the-3-1-defeat-to-blackburn-if-only-2-or-3-players-perform-you-re-not-going-to-come-to-blackburn-and-get-a-result

Prat. Obviously not his fault. Always the players decision making. fudge Whitney.

Fair play to WM on actually questioning him properly. No Masi rimjob here.

Having listened to that, why is this self-righteous clown still managing our football team???
When we lose " he can't defend players decision making" blah blah blah
When we win " they're a special group" blah blah blah

He gives the same pathetic post match rhetoric 22 months on as he did at Oldham and Sheffield in April 2016. It made no sense then, and none now!

His ability to evade responsibility amounts almost to a talent. I wonder if he hasn't worked out that his role at the club is to divert attention from Bonser and that as long as he's channelling anger away from him, he's safe.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:13 am

As some of you recall I joined the Whitney Outers only recently but that interview should be his last as our Manager. Didn't expect us to win last night ....I forecast a drubbing but it isn't about last night. Before Christmas we were comfortably mid table...the Club knew our loans were up in January,Wilson went public asking the Club to sign him and our only response is to sign Dobson(a lad who will do well in the longer term) until the last minute signing on Monday night. Unless we get at least 2 competent Division 2 players in today then I agree with others who say relegation looks to be a probability.
As others have said the problem started in August when we had too many loans despite JW saying he wanted permanent signings.We are now in a right mess and it is all of our own making.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:17 am

There's plenty of hyperbole already in this thread regarding Whitney, the peril we find ourselves in, Bonsor, interviews and so on so I'm not going to add to it because nothing has changed from an away game in hand defeat to a team we probably were never going to beat and knew well in advance.

And what hasn't changed is that Whitney isn't the man, Bonsor is still in it for himself, we are still three points off relegation, fans aren't supporting the players and nobody is going to convince me to protest/boycott.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:21 am

El_Nombre wrote:There's plenty of hyperbole already in this thread regarding Whitney, the peril we find ourselves in, Bonsor, interviews and so on so I'm not going to add to it because nothing has changed from an away game in hand defeat to a team we probably were never going to beat and knew well in advance.

And what hasn't changed is that Whitney isn't the man, Bonsor is still in it for himself, we are still three points off relegation, fans aren't supporting the players and nobody is going to convince me to protest/boycott.

Why won’t you protest? Are you happy ?

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:25 am

Neuromantic wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:There's plenty of hyperbole already in this thread regarding Whitney, the peril we find ourselves in, Bonsor, interviews and so on so I'm not going to add to it because nothing has changed from an away game in hand defeat to a team we probably were never going to beat and knew well in advance.

Because it's January/February, it's freezing and I'd rather get to the pub and have a laugh with my mates than stand around moaning after a game that won't change anything.

Believe it or not. I still find watching football and actually supporting my team fun. Novel concept, I know.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:42 am

So do I EL NOMBRE....protesting during a game is just barmy and not something I can support.

Walsall_Casual
Glitterati

Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:57 am

SoccerHQ wrote:Whitney criticising the players for failing to execute the gameplan again.... :roll:

Tick tock.

HIS players!

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:52 am

I would have usually gone like a shot to this game but This Manager has deflated my love for the game... I walked the dogs and had a Gin and Tonic instead... Much more enjoyable and saved cash in the process.

Has Bradley Dack still got lovely hair?

sid swifty
Glitterati

Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:58 am

He says he is always so meticulous when he signs a player,"he must fit in,he must have the right attitude,he must have a football brain".He always says "I've been watching him for a few months now so I know he will fit in and improve the squad I have already".The problem with that is he always blames the players for a defeat.

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:05 pm

It is not very often but I agree with you on this.

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:57 pm

Neuromantic wrote:

What would make you happy?

If Bonser comes to the meeting and holds his hands up and says 'ok give me a list of what I need to do to make you happy and i'll do it'

what would the list show to stop you protesting?

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:32 pm

How many Walsall players were in the penalty area when Blackburn rolled in that third goal? It was like watching a parks pitch match! Pathetic. Most of the players looked like they would rather be on the beach already, and from what Whitless was saying, most of their agents are trying to get them away from this mess.
Its now half three, still no signings, like I said earlier, we can forget that scenario, we have to fight (haha) this relegation scrap with a set of disjointed, badly coached kids, that look disheartened and drained of confidence.
A draw or defeat on Saturday? Then what?

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:40 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:How many Walsall players were in the penalty area when Blackburn rolled in that third goal? It was like watching a parks pitch match! Pathetic. Most of the players looked like they would rather be on the beach already, and from what Whitless was saying, most of their agents are trying to get them away from this mess.
Its now half three, still no signings, like I said earlier, we can forget that scenario, we have to fight (haha) this relegation scrap with a set of disjointed, badly coached kids, that look disheartened and drained of confidence.

Where were you sat to come to that conclusion AM?

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:03 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:How many Walsall players were in the penalty area when Blackburn rolled in that third goal? It was like watching a parks pitch match! Pathetic. Most of the players looked like they would rather be on the beach already, and from what Whitless was saying, most of their agents are trying to get them away from this mess.

Why do you have to be such a knob ?
Is it a personal crusade to be the cock of the board ? If so well done.
Achieved.

AM already stated last night he wasn't in attendance due to ill health but you being the cock that you take enjoyment out "I was there so I know all".
Cock.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:07 pm

swampysaddler wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:

Achieved.

AM already stated last night he wasn't in attendance due to ill health but you being the cock that you take enjoyment out "I was there so I know all".
Cock.

I just don't see how you can come to that conclusion? Particularly if you weren't there.

I mean I've been to a lot of games this season and there are PLENTY of negative things you can say about this team. Lack of effort isn't really one of them. Now as people seem to have a bee in their bonnet about staying on topic, maybe you can actually respond to the point instead of throwing insults around.

saddlersjse
UTS Regular

Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:48 pm

Brandon Flowers wrote:
scott_powell wrote:https://audioboom.com/posts/6628943-jon-whitney-after-the-3-1-defeat-to-blackburn-if-only-2-or-3-players-perform-you-re-not-going-to-come-to-blackburn-and-get-a-result

Prat. Obviously not his fault. Always the players decision making. fudge Whitney.

Fair play to WM on actually questioning him properly. No Masi rimjob here.

Having listened to that, why is this self-righteous clown still managing our football team???
When we lose " he can't defend players decision making" blah blah blah
When we win " they're a special group" blah blah blah

He gives the same pathetic post match rhetoric 22 months on as he did at Oldham and Sheffield in April 2016. It made no sense then, and none now!

My personal favourite Whitney-ism is [on tackling in the above clip] "It doesn't take a great coach or a tactical nouse, that's just a certain desire and having a big heart." How many times I must have heard that now, and I don't listen to most of his post-match interviews because he makes my blood boil.

WHITNEY OUT NOW. Don't even give a toss about the long service, "great servant" line anymore. He wore that goodwill out from me a long, long time ago - it's really gone that far now.

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:18 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
swampysaddler wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:

Achieved.

Cock.

I just don't see how you can come to that conclusion? Particularly if you weren't there.

I mean I've been to a lot of games this season and there are PLENTY of negative things you can say about this team. Lack of effort isn't really one of them. Now as people seem to have a bee in their bonnet about staying on topic, maybe you can actually respond to the point instead of throwing insults around.

Maybe if you didn't single out an ill poster for your bile. No matter what AM posts you come back with snide comments.
You don't do the same to Walsallone, whose optimism is sickening at times, in fact on a previous thread when you was questioning him your quote was" don't mean to upset you mate but".
So what you attend the majority of games, here have a lollipop for it, others can make their own opinions on games by watching highlights and reports off others that were in attendance.
If you don't agree with what AM posts (which the majority of the time is doom and gloom) here is a simple solution for a simple person, ignore it, move on. Like most people do to your posts when being self righteous (which is the majority of the time).

Tom_1992
UTS Veteran

Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:21 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
swampysaddler wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:

Achieved.

Cock.

I was at Edwood Park and can confirm that there didn’t seem to be much effort from the players; Edwards, Kinsella and L.Roberts aside. It was very similar to the Rotherham away game in that we just allowed them so much space and didn’t seem capable of adapting once we went behind.

It’s always going to be tough against a side of that quality, but to be that comprehensively beaten was embarrassing. The only difference between the Rotherham game was that we now have an outstanding goalkeeper for this level and without him this quite easily could have been 5 or 6-1.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:22 pm

Tom_1992 wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
swampysaddler wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:

Achieved.

Cock.

I was at Edwood Park and can confirm that there didn’t seem to be much effort from the players; Edwards, Kinsella and L.Roberts aside. It was very similar to the Rotherham away game in that we just allowed them so much space and didn’t seem capable of adapting once we went behind.

It’s always going to be tough against a side of that quality, but to be that comprehensively beaten was embarrassing. The only difference between the Rotherham game was that we now have an outstanding goalkeeper for this level and without him this quite easily could have been 5 or 6-1.

And like Rotherham I think that was more a matter of class than effort. Harsh to exclude a couple of players from your list who tried. I can't confirm the same.

You only have to go back as far as the game against Charlton to see how you can put in 100 percent effort and still give away time and space. There was no lack of effort from the players that day, anybody on the pitch.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:26 pm

Sums up the desperate state of the club that it dawned on me this morning that the original date for this game was November but Walsall called it off due to international call ups.

Yet the team put out last night was much weaker than the one that would've been put out in November even with players on international call ups.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:05 pm

Note your concern El-Nombre but didn't that 'dead' non celebration of our consolation goal just sum up the players attitude somewhat?

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:07 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:Note your concern El-Nombre but didn't that 'dead' non celebration of our consolation goal just sum up the players attitude somewhat?

To me it looked like they wanted to get the ball and kick off considering we were 2-1 down, no?

chunkster
Site Addict

Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:30 pm

Tom_1992 wrote:And like Rotherham I think that was more a matter of class than effort. Harsh to exclude a couple of players from your list who tried. I can't confirm the same.

You only have to go back as far as the game against Charlton to see how you can put in 100 percent effort and still give away time and space. There was no lack of effort from the players that day, anybody on the pitch.

It had a different feel to it though, usually when we lose the ball in midfield there’s a concerted effort from everyone, starting with Bakayoko, to win the ball back, but there was just nothing.

I agree, the one thing that we’ve had for most of Whitney’s tenure has been effort (last 3 games of 16/17 apart) but it really was lacking on Tuesday, which worries me far more than the actual result.

Hopefully the new signings provide us with a bit of impetus for the rest of the season, but I fear it’s going to be a struggle to stay up...[/quote]
We need better leaders ON and OFF the pitch

Previous
Return to 2017-18 Season