Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Charlton Athletic (A) Jan 20th, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Charlton Athletic (A) Jan 20th, 3pm

Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:21 am

"Down Greenwich Reach
Past the Isle of Dogs"

(Eliot)

A trip to The Valley for our long-suffering band of travelling supporters to face an Addicks side currently hanging on to the League One play-off zone, and able to concentrate on promotion having been dumped out of the F.A.Cup 3-1 by AFC Wimbledon. Back in September the reverse fixture ended in a 2-2 draw with Dan Agyei saving our blushes with a late equaliser after Ricky Holmes had seemingly won it for Charlton with his late goal ... those two players won't feature this time around, Holmes having been signed by Sheffield United on a 2.5 year deal this month. Scoring goals does appear to be as much of a problem for Charlton Athletic as it does for us - their most recent 8 League One games have seen them only score 5 goals, which is hardly promotion form. In fact in the season so far they've only notched one more goal than ourselves, and we have a game in hand over them. Current League One form:-

23 Dec Blackpool (H) Drew 1-1
26 Dec Southend United (A) Lost 3-1
29 Dec Wigan Athletic (A) Drew 0-0
1 Jan Gillingham (H) Lost 1-2
6 Jan Oldham Athletic (H) Won 1-0
13 Jan Bury (A) Won 0-1

Jon Whitney may well have a positive outlook following our win over Oxford United, but it would be unrealistic to expect man-of-the-match performances from Liam Roberts on a regular basis, although he certainly did enough to retain a starting place - hopefully the departure of Neil Cutler won't upset our goalkeeping apple-cart too much (perhaps Mick Kearns will add his considerable weight in that direction?). Can we score at The Valley though - that's debatable ... we do still have Tyler Roberts and Erhun Oztumer available for selection (at the time of writing), and JW has said that he plans to sign more players in the transfer window, specifically a central defender, a winger, and a striker, but as these deals are so often done at the last moment it's best not to hold your breath. George Dobson has added a touch of class on his return to the club, and if Florent Cuvelier is match-fit I think we could come away with a point. I'll go for a 1-1 result with a Joe Edwards piledriver........

UTS :D

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Re: Charlton Athletic (A) Jan 20th, 3pm

Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:30 am

First ever trip to the Valley this. Tied in with a trip to our "wonderful" capital.

I can't see us winning and I'd snap your hand off for a draw. Which is exactly what we need to do away from home considering we are still only 4 points of the relegation zone.

tinned
Site Addict

Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:34 pm

Going to only second away game of the season so far (other one was Wigan, so hopefully this will be more enjoyable).

Haven't been to Charlton since super Jorge's brace in the FA Cup.

Making it into a weekend away so the beer will make up for any match based disappointment :wink:

chunkster
Site Addict

Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:40 pm

tinned wrote:Going to only second away game of the season so far (other one was Wigan, so hopefully this will be more enjoyable).

Making it into a weekend away so the beer will make up for any match based disappointment :wink:

Take plenty of money with you then Tinned because the last time I bought a pint of Stella and a double archers and lemonade it cost me about £16 :shock: . I
As for the result I can't see anything less than a 2-0 loss :|

tinned
Site Addict

Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:46 pm

chunkster wrote:
tinned wrote:Going to only second away game of the season so far (other one was Wigan, so hopefully this will be more enjoyable).

Take plenty of money with you then Tinned because the last time I bought a pint of Stella and a double archers and lemonade it cost me about £16 :shock: . I
As for the result I can't see anything less than a 2-0 loss :|

Generally drink the local brew, London Pride, so looking at a fiver + a pint!!!!

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:18 pm

Fancy the Saddlers to nick this 1-2.

Charlton have loads of injuries, have just sold their best player Ricky Holmes to Sheffield United and can't sign anyone as they're in takeover talks.

Was going to be a protest there on Saturday but it's been postponed as their fan group is meeting one of the board members.

Goals for Ozzy and farewell goal from Tyler Roberts.

Gripper
Glitterati

Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:00 pm

First away since Northampton. Hope we don’t score too early again.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:44 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:Fancy the Saddlers to nick this 1-2.

Charlton have loads of injuries, have just sold their best player Ricky Holmes to Sheffield United and can't sign anyone as they're in takeover talks.

Was going to be a protest there on Saturday but it's been postponed as their fan group is meeting one of the board members.

Could be farewell goals for em both, someone has to make way for all the outrageously exciting signings we're making lately, as promised by the management ( thereby keeping us on the edge of our seats as always). I would find it hard to live in gods own country these days, the excitement must be mindblowing! :D Hope they all 'bed in' quickly otherwise our next terrifying encounter could be a repeat of a certain away match at Brizzle City that some may recall, especially if Roberts is snapped up by the Baggies and we have 'Gilly' between the sticks!

chunkster
Site Addict

Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:39 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:

Could be farewell goals for em both, someone has to make way for all the outrageously exciting signings we're making lately, as promised by the management ( thereby keeping us on the edge of our seats as always). I would find it hard to live in gods own country these days, the excitement must be mindblowing! :D Hope they all 'bed in' quickly otherwise our next terrifying encounter could be a repeat of a certain away match at Brizzle City that some may recall, especially if Roberts is snapped up by the Baggies and we have 'Gilly' between the sticks!
Don't worry AM, according to the departed cutler, we have the best coach in the league :roll: and as such he will have the bestest footballers in the league on his radar, and they will want to sign for us on tuppence halfpenny a week, all he has to do is wait until 10.59 on the 31st :mrgreen:

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:08 am

chunkster wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:

Don't worry AM, according to the departed cutler, we have the best coach in the league :roll: and as such he will have the bestest footballers in the league on his radar, and they will want to sign for us on tuppence halfpenny a week, all he has to do is wait until 10.59 on the 31st :mrgreen:

Cos God forbid he says something nice about Whitney. We all know that all the staff and players hate him and he has zero man management skills. We definitely know better than somebody who has worked with him for 5 years.

Paulus68
UTS Regular

Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:21 am

We took 2200 fans to that game. Cant see us taking that many tomorrow...hope im wrong.

saddla
Site Addict

Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:32 am

I'll be there :D

scott_powell
Site Addict

Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:36 am

Another win to help ease relegation fears! 1-3 to Walsall.

Ozzy with 2 and ̶I̶s̶m̶a̶i̶l̶ ̶A̶g̶y̶e̶i̶ ̶W̶i̶l̶s̶o̶n̶ ̶D̶o̶n̶n̶e̶l̶l̶a̶n̶ Dobson with the other.

Whitney Out. Bonser Out.

Whaleoilbeefhooked
UTS Regular

Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:47 am

Would take a point!

Me + 1 will be there.

There's two decent pubs within an 10 minute walk of the ground, the Bugle Horn & the White Swan (the village, Greenwich) home boozers but fine for any travelling saddlers.

tinned
Site Addict

Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:15 pm

Paulus68 wrote:

We took 2200 fans to that game. Cant see us taking that many tomorrow...hope im wrong.

I imagine you could safely take the first "2" off that amount.

tinned
Site Addict

Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:18 pm

Whaleoilbeefhooked wrote:Would take a point!

Me + 1 will be there.

There's two decent pubs within an 10 minute walk of the ground, the Bugle Horn & the White Swan (the village, Greenwich) home boozers but fine for any travelling saddlers.

I've been told about The Antigallican and The Rose of Denmark. Both apparently basic but okay to visit for a couple of hours.

sirrammell

Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:00 pm

chunkster
Site Addict

Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:46 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
chunkster wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:

Cos God forbid he says something nice about Whitney. We all know that all the staff and players hate him and he has zero man management skills. We definitely know better than somebody who has worked with him for 5 years.
I am going on what i have witnessed over the last few years, and unless you have seen something different?

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:17 pm

I am ever hopeful and they seem to have a lot of issues so I think we will get a draw at least, 2-2. UTS

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:39 pm

chunkster wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
chunkster wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:

I am going on what i have witnessed over the last few years, and unless you have seen something different?

Mid table in the third division. Don't think anyone's seen much different in last 30 years? :wink:

rugbysaddler

Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:43 am

What's the odds on Ozzy and Tyler being left out for "tactical reasons"

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:34 pm

GK Liam roberts
15 Liam Kinsella DF
3 Luke Leahy DF
24 Kory Roberts DF
5 Jon Guthrie DF
2 Joe Edwards MF
7 Adam Chambers (C) MF
4 George Dobson MF
10 Erhun Oztumer MF
18 Tyler Roberts FW
20 Amadou Bakayoko FW
Good attacking line up? and if they play to their strengths i can see us getting something out of this :D

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:05 pm

No Morris or Cuvelier in the team or on the bench! Very young substitutes today.UTS

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:12 pm

Walsallone wrote:No Morris or Cuvelier in the team or on the bench! Very young substitutes today.UTS

1 Mark Gillespie SUB
6 Nicky Devlin SUB
17 Reece Flanagan SUB
25 Maz Kouhyar SUB
29 Will Shorrock SUB
36 Mitchell Candlin SUB
9 Simeon Jackson SUB
:D

BarnsleySaddler
Glitterati

Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:16 pm

Solly is booked for a cynical block on Tyler Roberts.First booking. after 10 mins.

BarnsleySaddler
Glitterati

Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:20 pm

Charlton started brightly but Walsall coming more into it. All quite on the goal front in the league so far> Now Northampton spoil that with a goal against the dons.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:23 pm

Loads of goals in the 3rd Division so far = NIL Welsh will be falling asleep!

Anyone know of Morris being injured? Or is he so far down the pecking order that one of our under 12's is on the bench.

Good team selection in view of our restricted choice, but worrying that two of the team may no longer be with us for very long. :?

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:29 pm

AM...both Morris and Cuvelier out with "minor" knocks apparently.....according to the Express and Star.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:36 pm

Walsallone wrote:AM...both Morris and Cuvelier out with "minor" knocks apparently.....according to the Express and Star.

That's unusual for Cuvelier! :wink: Thanks for the info...........

Bloke called Grigg gets the equaliser at Plymouth...might we take at look at him as our new signing? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Ancient Moaner on Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:37 pm

1-0 :(

Next
Return to 2017-18 Season