Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Charlton Athletic (A) Jan 20th, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
scott_powell
Site Addict

Re: Charlton Athletic (A) Jan 20th, 3pm

Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:07 pm

Whitney fudge banging on about the players giving everything and the energy and application given today will have them in a good place. Go fudge yourself you stupid clown. We lost. AGAIN. YOU ARE A fudge CLOWN.

He is infuriating.

Gripper
Glitterati

Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:14 pm

George Dobson - what a signing. Was very good today.

Locky
Glitterati

Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:18 pm

Great game to watch. Competed well all game and some good passing play amongst it. Never like losing a game but will except it if we do it playing that way. Well done to the guys today, unlucky on another day could easily have won that. Much more like it didn't leave anything on the pitch. Didn't deserve the 3-1 score line.

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:03 pm

I think a neutral would have enjoyed that especially the 2nd half. When we got forward we looked dangerous but sadly we were let down by the end product - Edwards and Bakayoko should definitively have scored. There again Charlton might easily have scored more too.
God knows what the future holds without Tyler Roberts & Ozzie, if he is sold, as they were our most inventive players going forward. I hope for the best but fear the worst. Liam Roberts, who really impressed me, is going to have to pull off even more world class saves.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:08 pm

Losing the game, doesn’t make a sub. Tactical genius.

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:41 pm

We are not going to lose too many games playing like that

Could have gone either way

Fair play to them

Uts

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:53 pm

Cowshed wrote:We are not going to lose too many games playing like that

Could have gone either way

Fair play to them

Uts

you were there - I sincerely hope you're right

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:04 pm

Match reports sound positive - Shame about the result but hopefully we continue playing like this.

The Red Prince
Site Addict

Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:30 pm

We played alright and really should have scored more, but it goes to show how much we need to strengthen, especially at centre half as Kory Roberts had a bit of s shocker and isn't yet up to playing every week.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:42 pm

The thing that gets me is the fact that we have one of the best players in our league in tyler roberts, so how after he goes do we strengthen? we have got to sign someone pretty bloody special to take his place :|

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:38 pm

chunkster wrote:The thing that gets me is the fact that we have one of the best players in our league in tyler roberts, so how after he goes do we strengthen? we have got to sign someone pretty bloody special to take his place :|

Must be just me that thinks his loan spell here has never really got going. Never seemed to have been given a decent run of starts and now he's fit again he's going back to WBA.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:50 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:
chunkster wrote:The thing that gets me is the fact that we have one of the best players in our league in tyler roberts, so how after he goes do we strengthen? we have got to sign someone pretty bloody special to take his place :|

Must be just me that thinks his loan spell here has never really got going. Never seemed to have been given a decent run of starts and now he's fit again he's going back to WBA.
no you are right, but he does have something special, i think i first saw him play against Bradford, he turned the game for us, and he is in high demand so i think we will struggle more than he will after he goes :|

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:56 pm

chunkster wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:

no you are right, but he does have something special, i think i first saw him play against Bradford, he turned the game for us, and he is in high demand so i think we will struggle more than he will after he goes :|

Yes he will be a decent championship striker at the very least.

He was great in the Bradford game as you say...then missed the Plymouth game because he was playing for Wales under 21s.

He then has a run of starts for next month and scores some decent goals before getting called up again by Wales.

He's started THREE league games since the Newport County game, either been injured or benched for Bakayoko.

Frustrated we haven't seen the best of him in his six months here.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:12 am

SoccerHQ wrote:
chunkster wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:

Yes he will be a decent championship striker at the very least.

He was great in the Bradford game as you say...then missed the Plymouth game because he was playing for Wales under 21s.

He then has a run of starts for next month and scores some decent goals before getting called up again by Wales.

He's started THREE league games since the Newport County game, either been injured or benched for Bakayoko.

Frustrated we haven't seen the best of him in his six months here.

That’s the thing I find most frustrating.
Whitney couldn’t do anything about injuries or call ups but outside of those occasions he had plenty of opportunities to play Roberts and was obsessed with persisting with Bakayoko.

The result today is disappointing but the performance sounds encouraging. Unfortunately I’m growing ever more pessimistic as this season has shown that we can put in 1-2 good performances then the following game we go backwards and are complete rubbish despite Whitney picking the exact same team.

UTS Legend

Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:17 am

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:04 am

1-3 defeat and only three pages on the match thread? Shurely shome mishtake! :mrgreen:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:20 am

Exile wrote:1-3 defeat and only three pages on the match thread? Shurely shome mishtake! :mrgreen:

Mea culpa ........ Away all day at a CI (cochlear implant group) social event, so unable to post my annoying League One score updates which artificially inflate the thread!! :oops:

TheGilbertAlsop
UTS Regular

Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:57 am

Dobson, Oztumer and Tyler Roberts were our best players yesterday. Korey Roberts, Guthrie and Kinsella were our worst.
We created many good chances but left ourselves so open at the back that we alowed Charlton to create more than us and we even when the extra mile by gifting them two own goals by our defensers knocking the ball past Liam Roberts.
Our defensive unit is a misnomer. They are all over the place. Kory Roberts had a poor game as he was turned inside and out and although Guthrie had a slightly better game, as he got a few blocks in, he wasn't much better. They didn't get much defensive support from the full-backs but at least Leahy almost scored from a corner and provided yet another assist with a great cross for Oztumer to head home, so he does contribute in attack, whereas Kinsella doesn't.
Early in the second half, Edwards had a simple chance to pass to Bakayoko who would have had an open goal but he delayed the pass and ended up hitting the bar from a few yards out. That was the easiest chance of the game.

ToeJoe Jnr
UTS Regular

Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:08 am

Looking at the goals none of them cover us in glory as a defensive unit!

Goal 1 came from the all to predictable cross that was easy to put in our box without challenge, Leahy sucked into marking no one and their player free to tap home.

Goal 2 came when they had ten ball in the middle of the park and Edwards and Chambers decided neither of them should close the player down allowing a ball to be threaded between Kinsella and Roberts before the latter knocked it into his own net.

Goal 3, Roberts gets sucked into jumping for a header that he failed to win, resulting in a gap for the knock down and we let there player coast into the area with a powder puff challenge from Guthrie.

We can play with as much energy, passion and applicication asa we like but if we constantly defend like that we make a difficult job harder and for me a centre back is a priority. If we lose Ozzie we will need to be tighter than a camels arse in a sandstorm at the back as I struggle to see where the goals will come from.

Big couple of weeks coming up to see what squad we end up competing some crucial games in Feb with. Whitney said he still has a plan for this season, I hope it works out!

saddlersjse
UTS Regular

Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:23 pm

scott_powell wrote:Whitney fudge banging on about the players giving everything and the energy and application given today will have them in a good place. Go fudge yourself you stupid clown. We lost. AGAIN. YOU ARE A fudge CLOWN.

He is infuriating.

Passion, energy and application has the team sitting in the cracking place of just 3 points clear of 21st - our next home opponent MKDons.

Just repeatedly peddling the same chest-pumping rhetoric post-match like it has been all season. We are not coached properly, particularly defensively, it's so clear. Every week it's like a set of strangers. Three clean sheets in 27 league games.

If we lose Oz, we're down.

Fish
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:31 pm

scott_powell wrote:Whitney In. Give him time.

Unlucky defeat.

I agree entirely. He needs at least another three years, by which time Guardiola will be leaving City, so we might be able to extract some compensation from them when he inevitably steps up into the Premiership to inject some desire and fitness into them up there in Mancland.

I read somewhere that he has a plan. I haven't read it yet, but it's bound to be good.

Enniskillen
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:41 pm

ToeJoe Jnr wrote:Looking at the goals none of them cover us in glory as a defensive unit!

Goal 1 came from the all to predictable cross that was easy to put in our box without challenge, Leahy sucked into marking no one and their player free to tap home.

Goal 2 came when they had ten ball in the middle of the park and Edwards and Chambers decided neither of them should close the player down allowing a ball to be threaded between Kinsella and Roberts before the latter knocked it into his own net.

Goal 3, Roberts gets sucked into jumping for a header that he failed to win, resulting in a gap for the knock down and we let there player coast into the area with a powder puff challenge from Guthrie.

We can play with as much energy, passion and applicication asa we like but if we constantly defend like that we make a difficult job harder and for me a centre back is a priority. If we lose Ozzie we will need to be tighter than a camels arse in a sandstorm at the back as I struggle to see where the goals will come from.

Big couple of weeks coming up to see what squad we end up competing some crucial games in Feb with. Whitney said he still has a plan for this season, I hope it works out!

1st goal - Chambers failed to stop the cross coming in.

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:14 pm

I'm slightly surprised at the positive comments. Not too bad a first half but second half we were nowhere near them. We sit too deep, don't lose down until they're on the edge of our box. We play it around the back for a few passes and then hoof it vaguely in the direction of their end of the pitch. Don't want to be seen to be running down our young players but Bako just hasn't got what it takes. He doesn't anticipate anything, he reacts to things rather than gamble in situations meaning he is often half a second behind the oppo player.

As for Whitney! Get rid now. The bloke hasn't got a bloody clue and never will have. Looked lost and unable to make a decision without Cutler in his ear. If I hear one more comment about bloody energy I will scream.

ShyTallKnight
Glitterati

Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:02 pm

I do wish people would not be cruel about Whitney. Just sack the berk.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:30 pm

saddlersjse wrote:
scott_powell wrote:Whitney fudge banging on about the players giving everything and the energy and application given today will have them in a good place. Go fudge yourself you stupid clown. We lost. AGAIN. YOU ARE A fudge CLOWN.

He is infuriating.

Passion, energy and application has the team sitting in the cracking place of just 3 points clear of 21st - our next home opponent MKDons.

Just repeatedly peddling the same chest-pumping rhetoric post-match like it has been all season. We are not coached properly, particularly defensively, it's so clear. Every week it's like a set of strangers. Three clean sheets in 27 league games.

If we lose Oz, we're down.

I have asked this question a few times before but what does Ian Sharps do?? Since he has come to the club, it seems our defensive ability has got worse not better (albeit the defenders are different, I concede that) but he came with a great reputation but our record and stats don't show he has earned his corn tbh! :?

Whaleoilbeefhooked
UTS Regular

Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:34 pm

At 1-1 we hit the bar and Baka missed a one on one. Goals change games. We did not look too bad yesterday as a whole, shame about the mistakes.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:35 pm

tinned wrote:I'm slightly surprised at the positive comments. Not too bad a first half but second half we were nowhere near them. We sit too deep, don't lose down until they're on the edge of our box. We play it around the back for a few passes and then hoof it vaguely in the direction of their end of the pitch. Don't want to be seen to be running down our young players but Bako just hasn't got what it takes. He doesn't anticipate anything, he reacts to things rather than gamble in situations meaning he is often half a second behind the oppo player.

As for Whitney! Get rid now. The bloke hasn't got a bloody clue and never will have. Looked lost and unable to make a decision without Cutler in his ear. If I hear one more comment about bloody energy I will scream.

Looking at the highlights there were three great chances second half.

First one Edwards does well robbing the ball by the touchline. Problem here is Baka needs to hang back, he runs too quickly into the box so it isn't actually an easy ball. Edwards then nearly scores himself when the ball comes back.

Then a header from a corner the keeper saved and then a one on one Baka hits with a deflection into the side netting.

Three big chances to make it 2-1 and be in control of the game. Afterwards look like Charlton dominated with all the scrambles.

One thing I would say, Liam Roberts is going to be a good 'un. He's got that Etheridge ability to get his fingertips on shots he has no right to save. Much more confident with him in goal than Gillespie who rarely makes those sort of saves.

Now just need to sort the back 4 out!!

TheGilbertAlsop
UTS Regular

Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:34 pm

I agree with the last post about Liam Roberts. He makes saves whereas Gillespie never seemed to make any at all!

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:19 am

I’m sorry but I don’t see where the positive comments are coming from. We saw little of the ball first half and capitalised on the one opportunity we got.

At times we made Charlton look like Barcelona and were camped in our own half. We had a few opportunities on the break but the second half was even worse than the first and a total capitulation.

And people like to denegrade Devlin and bang on about his being a second division Scottish player, if that’s true I dread to think what Kinsella is. Lightweight doesn’t even come close to describing him and for such a small player you would at least think he could get forward and beat a man. Nope. Devlin is twice the player as far as I can see.

Whitters
Site Addict

Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:58 am

Exile wrote:1-3 defeat and only three pages on the match thread? Shurely shome mishtake! :mrgreen:

Yes but what happens when all hope is gone is that few people can be arsed to post.
I suggest that in this case an "all hope is gone" factor comes in - say 6/10. So multiply the 3 pages by 6 and you get a realistic figure of 18 pages.

Previous
Return to 2017-18 Season