Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Oxford United (H) Jan 13th, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
The General
UTS Regular

Re: Oxford United (H) Jan 13th, 3pm

Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:09 pm

Interesting that when we win there are relatively few posts.Shows that many would much rather moan and have nothing to say when we win because it does not fit their agenda.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:14 pm

Very glad to see us win today. A much needed 3 points.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:15 pm

The General wrote:Interesting that when we win there are relatively few posts.Shows that many would much rather moan and have nothing to say when we win because it does not fit their agenda.

Could say the same about the happy clappers when we lose. :roll:

Gripper
Glitterati

Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:20 pm

tinned wrote:
Gripper wrote:Liam Roberts - Take a bow son.

150?...that had certainly dwindled by full time the when I walked past. Looked more like 40-50 with a half arsed “we want Bonser out” being chanted. He was probably watching via a webcam poolside in Cyprus....pissing himself.

40-50!!!! You want to have your eyes tested mate!

Fair enough if fans don't want to protest, it's their perfect right but why do some seem to take so much enjoyment in continually belittling fellow fans?

40/50 were there as far as I could see.. this is after leaving and clapping the players off. The people I saw were standing near the Oxford team coach. Then the protest before the match...I had to ask someone where it was. Thought it was a group of blokes having a chat before going into the ground.

The General
UTS Regular

Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:36 pm

scott_powell wrote:
The General wrote:Interesting that when we win there are relatively few posts.Shows that many would much rather moan and have nothing to say when we win because it does not fit their agenda.

There are no "happy clappers"but there are those who support the players through good and bad times.

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:37 pm

scott_powell wrote:

Kinda makes the title "happy clapper" an oxymoron though right..?

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:50 pm

Soton Saddler wrote:
scott_powell wrote:

Trust you to appear when we win :roll: :lol:

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:54 pm

scott_powell wrote:
Soton Saddler wrote:
scott_powell wrote:

How true.

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:27 pm

tinned wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
Soton Saddler wrote:
scott_powell wrote:

How true.

Kinda exactly my point too... if you both need further explanation let me know.

Whitters
Site Addict

Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:34 pm

tinned wrote:
chunkster wrote:
tinned wrote:
Gripper wrote:Liam Roberts - Take a bow son.

150?...that had certainly dwindled by full time the when I walked past. Looked more like 40-50 with a half arsed “we want Bonser out” being chanted. He was probably watching via a webcam poolside in Cyprus....pissing himself.

40-50!!!! You want to have your eyes tested mate!

Fair enough if fans don't want to protest, it's their perfect right but why do some seem to take so much enjoyment in continually belittling fellow fans?
fair play to you and the others Tinned, at least you have the bottle to stand by your convictions :wink:

I could've easily stayed to the end today. A fairly decent game (in comparison to recent shite) and it being in the balance. However, I really think things need to change before this club disappears into a hole of mediocrity and non-ambition. Therefore I feel making our feelings known is more important than the last few minutes of a game.

Like I said earlier, I have absolutely no problem with fans not wishing to support the protest but do get angry with posters like Gripper that contribute nothing but making fun of fellow fans just because they hold a different view.

Yes, Gripper must be one of JB's mates.
I'll make a note that he is to be eliminated come the revolution.

Mike Vale
UTS Regular

Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:30 pm

For those who missed the game today you missed a goalkeeping performance par excellence. Well done Liam. Brilliant. Not far behind were Messrs Guthrie and K. Roberts. The best performance of the season by the former and what a good player is the latter. Enjoy him while you can Saddlers fans and please don’t moan about the odd mistake he makes. He is destined for a higher level.

WSTFC
UTS Regular

Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:42 pm

Always been a bit wary when I see L. Roberts on the team sheet, but what a performance by the lad today. He looked the most composed I've seen a Walsall GK for a very long time, and he pulled off saves a la Jimmy Walker at his best. Hopefully this keeps up.

Guthrie - good performance today alongisde K. Roberts who also had a decent game.

Baka - a lot better than recent performances.

Oztumer - Brilliant, he will be missed when he inevitably leaves.

Great performance, a lot more (dare I say) passion and enthusiasm from the squad today, and a league double!

Mike Vale
UTS Regular

Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:59 pm

And, despite all the difficulties,a bit of connection for the first time in ages between the fans and the players. Good support I thought.

UTS Legend

Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:58 am

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:32 am

Pleased with the three points. Are we 12th yet?

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:28 am

Exile wrote:Pleased with the three points. Are we 12th yet?

Win the game in hand and we're 11th ......... :mrgreen:

PT
Site Addict

Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:40 am

Welsh_Saddler wrote:

I think the game in hand will actually see us drop a place. Lose by two or more goals at Blackburn and Blackpool go above us. If we get walloped we could drop two places.

Think these are far more likely scenarios than a win. Hope I'm wrong.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:21 am

PT wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:

I think the game in hand will actually see us drop a place. Lose by two or more goals at Blackburn and Blackpool go above us. If we get walloped we could drop two places.

Don't think you are my friend, if they can dispose of the Sloppies so effectively today, what cricket score will they murder US by? However, knowing Walsall we might come away with a win! :lol: :lol: After all, we all remember Sunderland away all those years ago! :D :D

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:27 am

PT wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:

Blackburn looks a certain defeat way they're playing.

Isn't it two games in hand though with Posh away being played sometime. Add in Rochdale at home in a few weeks and Walsall will actually have three games in hand on some teams.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:03 pm

Gripper wrote:150?...that had certainly dwindled by full time the when I walked past. Looked more like 40-50 with a half arsed “we want Bonser out” being chanted. He was probably watching via a webcam poolside in Cyprus....pissing himself.

If you're happy with the state of the club at the moment then these protests must seem unnecessary and even irrational.

But that's a big 'IF' :wink:

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:34 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
Gripper wrote:150?...that had certainly dwindled by full time the when I walked past. Looked more like 40-50 with a half arsed “we want Bonser out” being chanted. He was probably watching via a webcam poolside in Cyprus....pissing himself.

If you're happy with the state of the club at the moment then these protests must seem unnecessary and even irrational.

The thing is Saigon, if it was 150 or even 200 that means that thousands did not protest. If the numbers are so important there is your answer.

I am not sure that a group of fans chanting 'Bonser Out' for the remaining home games will make him decide to resign as Chairman (the longest serving in the football league). It might make him decide not to attend matches but I would rather have a chairman who attends and brings his family so that they can see first hand what is happening on the pitch.

I can see a situation where fans will stay and watch the game when we are winning but when we are losing or even drawing against a lower side and need them most to get behind the team to try and get a goal back then there could be a negative impact on 80 minutes. I am sure that the players can see people walking out and I don't think that is in the best interest of the team.

If people want to protest before or after the game it's their choice but to walk out on 80 minutes is almost an attempt to disrupt the game. That's irrational.

Just an alternative view.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:24 pm

Optimistic wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:

The thing is Saigon, if it was 150 or even 200 that means that thousands did not protest. If the numbers are so important there is your answer.

I am not sure that a group of fans chanting 'Bonser Out' for the remaining home games will make him decide to resign as Chairman (the longest serving in the football league). It might make him decide not to attend matches but I would rather have a chairman who attends and brings his family so that they can see first hand what is happening on the pitch.

I can see a situation where fans will stay and watch the game when we are winning but when we are losing or even drawing against a lower side and need them most to get behind the team to try and get a goal back then there could be a negative impact on 80 minutes. I am sure that the players can see people walking out and I don't think that is in the best interest of the team.

If people want to protest before or after the game it's their choice but to walk out on 80 minutes is almost an attempt to disrupt the game. That's irrational.

Just an alternative view.

You're trying to make out we're not Bonser FC.

In this instance you are the one being irrational. The issue is not whether you think too few or too many people are protesting at the right or wrong time, the issue is the manner in which the club is being run. To do nothing is to passively and obediently accept this, all to the detriment of the football club.

The biggest harm is not when loyal fans feel moved to protest, but when people no longer feel involved enough to attend, and there were plenty of those yesterday. Financial loss is the direct route to boardroom change and is the point when the place will return to being a football club with contingent commercial interests rather than the other way round.

UTS Legend

Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:06 pm

Guest wrote:Just in case you missed the goals.

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sp ... 2-1-oxford

Some saves in this.

https://youtu.be/AT2UfaWAKeo

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:20 pm

5 of the team who started yesterday came through our youth system so whats all this nonsense about not being a football club!!! I am proud we produce our own and long may it continue.
The free hold issue needs resolving and we all know that but perhaps someone could explain the protesters strategy to me? I just don't get..12 people standing outside throughout the game and at the best estimate around 100 chanting "Bonser out" at the end!! How does this help to resolve the key issue? It also mean't that the players especially Liam Roberts went off with some of the fans not showing their appreciation. How sad is that?

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:45 pm

Walsallone wrote:5 of the team who started yesterday came through our youth system so whats all this nonsense about not being a football club!!! I am proud we produce our own and long may it continue.
The free hold issue needs resolving and we all know that but perhaps someone could explain the protesters strategy to me? I just don't get..12 people standing outside throughout the game and at the best estimate around 100 chanting "Bonser out" at the end!! How does this help to resolve the key issue? It also mean't that the players especially Liam Roberts went off with some of the fans not showing their appreciation. How sad is that?

How has sitting in silence for the past X seasons resolved the key issue? The organisers of the protest have now been invited to a meeting with club directors, so perhaps some good will come of it.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:05 pm

Walsallone wrote:5 of the team who started yesterday came through our youth system so whats all this nonsense about not being a football club!!! I am proud we produce our own and long may it continue.

A good place to start would be to read what is actually written. I stated the football side of our club is subservient and secondary to commercial interests and who can possibly argue with that?

In terms of the protest, myself and others felt the need to do something, anything to draw attention to a collective dismay at the state of Walsall FC. It's the easiest thing in the world to point out how inadequate and feeble it seemed to you, and rather contemptuously refer to numbers, but then again what have you done to challenge the outrageous milking of the club by a single individual? Precisely nothing.

You are free to dismiss fan action of course, but any protest is merely the tip of the iceberg in terms of fan disengagement. I wonder how many of the protesters will be renewing season tickets. The time to be concerned is when people can't be bothered to do anything, and you're looking around at even more red seats in the stadium on a matchday.

saddlersjse
UTS Regular

Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:31 pm

A match winning performance from young Liam Roberts yesterday. Without his efforts, that would have been at the very best a draw. As someone else eluded to above, reminded me of Super Jimmy Walker at his finest.

What would your suggestion be then? Sit in silence and let a leech continue to drain the club, or show some actual desire to get something changed around the club?

Win lose or draw yesterday, major changes need to be made because people are clearly fed up.

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:42 pm

saddlersjse wrote:Win lose or draw yesterday, major changes need to be made because people are clearly fed up.

And what should be more concern is not the few hundred that felt the need to show their frustration outside the ground but the hundreds/thousands that have just given up going because they don't see the point thanks to prudent Uncle Jeff.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:02 pm

If a meeting has been arranged then that is good ....constructive engagement is much better than calling people names. As for what have I done...that is for me to know and not you however it does NOT include calling people parasites and leeches which is counter productive.
You see other than the freehold issue I don't have a problem with the way the club is run. It didn't prevent us having some of the best times in my supporting life when we were in the Championship in the early years of this century. The calibre of players we had at that time were the best I have seen. There is no reason why that cannot happen again with some good management and luck. As yesterday showed our long standing commitment to the youth development side of the business is to be applauded.
Anyway I hope the proposed meeting brings about a truce in this....at the moment the situation is not good for our team of young players who are doing their best for us. In that regard I send my best wishes to all those involved.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:41 pm

Walsallone wrote:If a meeting has been arranged then that is good ....constructive engagement is much better than calling people names. As for what have I done...that is for me to know and not you however it does NOT include calling people parasites and leeches which is counter productive.
You see other than the freehold issue I don't have a problem with the way the club is run. It didn't prevent us having some of the best times in my supporting life when we were in the Championship in the early years of this century. The calibre of players we had at that time were the best I have seen. There is no reason why that cannot happen again with some good management and luck. As yesterday showed our long standing commitment to the youth development side of the business is to be applauded.
Anyway I hope the proposed meeting brings about a truce in this....at the moment the situation is not good for our team of young players who are doing their best for us. In that regard I send my best wishes to all those involved.

So, you've done nothing then. That's your choice, but you seem to imply you have. Hardly top secret info is it?

Oh yes, the Championship adventure, otherwise known as the last time Bonser gave us enough of our own money to put up some kind of meaningful challenge on the football pitch. But hang on, after assembling one of the best team's we've ever had, he denied us the relatively small sum to retain the services of Richie and other decent players, show any kind of ambition and we were relegated that season.

Not quite sure how we've got the 2nd lowest wage budget in the league after so many players sold on recently, but it rather holes your expectation that something good 'could happen again'. And many of the academy players are sold on far to quickly at the first sniff of any money.

The club is a slave to the financial whims of a single individual and I'm pretty sure that's not the position the founders of the club would have wanted for us.

PreviousNext
Return to 2017-18 Season