Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Plymouth Argyle (A) Jan 1st, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
tinned
Site Addict

Re: Plymouth Argyle (A) Jan 1st, 3pm

Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:08 pm

BONSER OUT NOW! YOU UNCARING GREEDY LEECH.

kshammer
Site Addict

Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:09 pm

Average/poor players (bar Ozzy) plus a terrible manager.... don't expect anything else anymore.

saddlertd
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:12 pm

Sadsfan wrote:
Walsallone wrote:WM say a decent performance but no cutting edge again....Ismail our best bet and he may not be here long.

Possibly his last game today, and Agyei. I can't see Whitney getting sacked,and he isn't going to fall on his sword.

We are a team full of honest, journeymen footballers who are doing their best but unfortunately it is just not good enough. Our best players (with the exception of Oztumer) are loan players: Tyrone Roberts, Wilson and Ismail. We have a manager who is doing his best but his tactical understanding and team management are not up to the mark. We have a chairman who wants to do everything on the cheap and is happy as long as the rent is paid every year. (BTW - what kind of rent agreement is it where the tenants have to pay for their own repairs?) Something has to change; the simple option is to replace Whitney but who would replace him? The problem is deeper than that: the whole structure of the club is wrong and has to change before we can ever move forward. At the moment, the club is just dying on its @rse.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:24 pm

Unless action is taken this will be a slow burn relegation season. It reminds me of the last time we were relegated from this division under M*****. We were midtable at Christmas having flattered to deceive in the first half of the campaign (including a three match winning run at one stage) but lost 3-0 at Bristol City on New Year's Day and finished bottom. The team was stuffed full with loan players too and by the time we did get someone in to replace our hapless manager, it was too late, the damage had been done.

We can't make the same mistake this time, but we are reliant on one man to make this decision and at the end of the day he only cares about himself.
Last edited by BathSaddler on Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:25 pm

Not much between the teams. Think we played the best football, but had no cutting edge at all.

Their goal was a good finish but our defending in the run up was symbolic, defenders falling over themselves.and waving him through.

I've seen far far worse displays from Walsall teams under Dean Smith.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:25 pm

tinned wrote:
Walsallone wrote:The next 10 days crucial before we play Oxford .

Yeah, a few days for a new manager to come in and assess things. Hopefully.

Walsallone pretty much repeats the same after every game. Apparently the next period of time is crucial but when we screw that up it’ll be moved to the next period of time being crucial and then the next. His argument seems to be “give Whitney more time to sort it out” then when he’s had more time and screwed it up “oh we need to give him even more time”! :roll:

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:28 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
Walsallone wrote:Agyei and Jackson on for Baka. and Edwards.

Looks as if he brought Baka off the field after another bad foul, something he has been doing of late.

That’s what I thought.
If he hadn’t been booked I reckon Whitney would have kept him on.
He’s trying to protect him from another suspension as he knows Roberts is likely off.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:28 pm

aaaae wrote:Not much between the teams. Think we played the best football, but had no cutting edge at all.

Their goal was a good finish but our defending in the run up was symbolic, defenders falling over themselves.and waving him through.

No cutting edge and a defence prone to making mistakes on a regular basis equals relegation mate, whether we played some reasonable football or not.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:34 pm

BathSaddler wrote:
aaaae wrote:Not much between the teams. Think we played the best football, but had no cutting edge at all.

No cutting edge and a defence prone to making mistakes on a regular basis equals relegation mate, whether we played some reasonable football or not.

Yep. Play decent football all you like in the middle but if you’re not scoring at their end and letting them in at our end then it means sod all!

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:46 pm

You know they didn't play too badly today and were the better team

Played better than Doncaster away yet that's the way it goes

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:49 pm

Not a massively unpredictable result based on their form and ours. Sounds like we didn't play that badly, but we seemed to allow them too many chances.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:52 pm

Cowshed wrote:You know they didn't play too badly today and were the better team

So what? We lost.

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:56 pm

scott_powell wrote:
Cowshed wrote:You know they didn't play too badly today and were the better team

So what? We lost.

Cowshed will be saying we didn't play too badly this season as we get relegated.

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:02 pm

tinned wrote:
scott_powell wrote:

So what? We lost.

Cowshed will be saying we didn't play too badly this season as we get relegated.

Wasn't a comment about who should be manager or where we will finish in the league I'll leave that to you experts

Was a comment on the game

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:39 pm

perhaps you should have read my post on the other thread before commenting on my views SADDLERSTEVE......it is time for a change hence my comments about the next few days!!!!! It is interesting though that those who went said we played well...that was my impression on hearing the WM commentary unfortunately the last few matches have shown how weak or squad is and that is down to the Manager.

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:45 pm

Walsallone wrote:t is interesting though that those who went said we played well...

Well all of the comments I'm seeing on Facebook from fans that went to the game was that it was bloody awful, clueless rubbish. The only attendee I've seeing saying different is Whitney.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:52 pm

There are 2 comments above which I was referring too and also I heard the commentary on WM...we did ok but couldn't take our chances. Anyway I don't have to justify myself to you...you have your opinions and I have mine.

WalsallMem

Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:57 pm

tinned wrote:Well all of the comments I'm seeing on Facebook

Oh its on Facebook. Must be right then....

portlandbill
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:57 pm

The players were tired having played 3 games in the past few days. That is except for Bakka who was rusty , not having played for some time!

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:58 pm

Walsallone wrote:There are 2 comments above which I was referring too and also I heard the commentary on WM...we did ok but couldn't take our chances. Anyway I don't have to justify myself to you...you have your opinions and I have mine.

Take a chill pill mate!

Was just pointing out that although you'd heard we'd played well I'd also heard from very reputable sources that it wasn't all that clever a performance.

Perhaps you only like evidence that suits your preferred world view?

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:00 pm

WalsallMem wrote:
tinned wrote:Well all of the comments I'm seeing on Facebook

Oh its on Facebook. Must be right then....

From fans that go week in week out, season in season out. They've got no reason to make things up.

Another that will only tolerate views from those with certain opinions.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:32 pm

Reputable sources? :D :D :D :D :D

Whitters
Site Addict

Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:45 pm

aaaae wrote:our defending in the run up was symbolic

Best post of 2018 so far.....

Sorry mate.

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:21 pm

Walsallone wrote:Reputable sources? :D :D :D :D :D

Fans that most of us know if you've been going to games regularly. Fans that say how it is be it positive or negative. If you wish to discount their views because they've expressed it on Facebook whilst leaving Home Park then that is your choice. Perhaps the view of Whitney is of more value?

scott_powell
Site Addict

Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:26 pm

Whitney “Plymouth didn’t pose a threat today”

Highlights show about 8 decent Plymouth attacks and non from Walsall.

CLOWN
CLOWN
CLOWN
fudge CLOWN.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:35 pm

Yep he's talking bull there I'm afraid.

Plymouth had 11 shots on target today. BBC report says Gillespie made some excellent saves before the goal.

In fairness I thought Whitney was toast after Newport and there was a bit of a revival after that game. Not sure it will happen this time.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:50 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:Yep he's talking bull there I'm afraid.

Plymouth had 11 shots on target today. BBC report says Gillespie made some excellent saves before the goal.

In fairness I thought Whitney was toast after Newport and there was a bit of a revival after that game. Not sure it will happen this time.

He’s absolutely desperate.

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:10 am

Another disappointment. Being over 50, I'm used to Walsall being a disappointment, but this is heading into 'utterly disgusted' territory. Can't blame Whitney for doing his best, but where we once had Whalley to tell Bonser he absolutely had to get rid of a manager long past his sell-by date, I can't see Gamble or Mole having the cojones to stand up to our number one rent recipient.

Ah well. League Two is always a laugh, as long as you don't get out of it the wrong end.

UTS Legend

Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:39 am

Well, it was only 1-0, not the 3 or 4 predicted by some.
Shocking defending for the goal, though.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q9xoBi ... p=drivesdk

Get well soon, AM!

Happy New Year from Hong Kong.

Tom_1992
UTS Veteran

Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:45 am

We were decent for the first 30 minutes, Ismail in particular had their left back on toast, but once again we didn’t really create that clear cut chance and let Plymouth back into the game.

The second half started with Plymouth on top and they continued to grow into the game with Carey and Lamerias forcing good saves from Gillespie. The goal came from some pretty poor defending with Taylor arrowing a left footed shot into the bottom corner.

After that we literally did nothing. No plan, no idea and no pressure, I’m not even sure that Kouyhar touched the ball after he came on.

Ismail and Flanagan were the pick of a very average bunch.

PreviousNext
Return to 2017-18 Season