Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Rotherham United (H) Dec 30th, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Re: Rotherham United (H) Dec 30th, 3pm

Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:09 pm

Kieffer Moore on as Rotherham Utd substitute............ **shudder**

Bradford City 2 Oxford Utd 1

Portsmouth 3 Northampton Town 1

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:17 pm

Oh dear ..... Walsall 1 Rotherham Utd 2 :( :( :(

Walsall substitution, 60 minutes ..... Super-sub Maz Kouhyar on for Kieron Morris

ObiWan7
UTS Regular

Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:19 pm

1-2 :(

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:24 pm

Atendance at the Banks's's's' today, 4,685

67 minutes, and Walsall's 2nd substitution ........ Jackson on for Agyei

Yellow card Rotherham Utd, 70 min

79walsall
UTS Regular

Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:31 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Atendance at the Banks's's's' today, 4,685

lol thats it goal coming :wink:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:32 pm

79walsall wrote:

Who for though ??? :mrgreen:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:33 pm

Oldham Athletic 1 Bristol Rovers 1

Gillingham 2 AFC Wimbledon 1

Walsall yellow card, 80 minutes ....... Adam Chambers

Rotherham Utd's 2nd yellow card, 82 min

79walsall
UTS Regular

Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:39 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
79walsall wrote:

Who for though ??? :mrgreen:

Is he offside yet ! :D

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:44 pm

Walsall's 3rd substitution, 84 minutes ...... Mitch Candlin on for Leahy

Full time 1-2 :(

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:52 pm

Using Whitney’s logic from the Northampton game, them scoring first and us equalising quickly after should have given us the momentum to win the game? Surely?! Oh wait :roll:

79walsall
UTS Regular

Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:01 pm

lost 1-2 :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
What will whitless say this time !

Fish
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:08 pm

79walsall wrote:lost 1-2 :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Unlucky to concede an early goal which should have been sufficient for us to go on and win the game?
Really impressed with our performance?
The lads were really up for it?

OR

Not enough fight?
Some players have lost the shirt this afternoon?
Not enough teeth have been put on the line?

In truth it could be any of those

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:17 pm

79walsall wrote:lost 1-2 :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Whatever he comes out with you can guarantee it will be bollocks.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:28 pm

I'm not surprised by this defeat against a Rotherham side with some (on paper) decent players and a board with AMBITION. I was unable to be there today and look forward to hearing from those that were, but some thoughts....

Any momentum from the three successive leagues wins is now truly lost, although this has not been helped by the loss of Roberts, the suspension of Bakayoko and the lack of injury prone Flo. It's clear that without at least two of those at any given time we are fodder for any top ten side, maybe even some below that. There appears to be a complete lack of urgency within the club to address this and it is this complacency that could see us slide into the relegation fight without adequate replacements/reinforcements. We are stale, sterile and are going nowhere. JW, for all his limitations, is the least of our worries. JB, for all his protestations of being the club's number one fan (ha bloody ha) is and always has been the main problem.

A hard match at in form Plymouth to follow, in front of around 120 Saddlers. The league position as yet is not depressing, but the situation the club finds itself is.
Last edited by BathSaddler on Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:38 pm

Only got ourselves to blame, we created enough chances to win that game against a mediocre Rotherham side, who's only threat in the second half was a basketball player that must be on loan from the LA Lakers :|

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:03 pm

I'd take 14th now after seeing that

Not sure where the goals are going to come from

After going a goal down at home we came back with nothing for the last twenty minutes

As their subs got bigger ours got smaller

Plymouth could go above us on Monday

On the positive Ismail played well first half , kory Roberts did well for a youngster and a very brave little girl on the pitch at half time

UTS here's to 2018

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:06 pm

No shape, pattern or tactics. The second relegation standard performance in a row.

I'd love to hear his bleats but I'd have to break my radio at the sound of his dulcet tones. Sack the useless git now, or the bottom 6 awaits by may :twisted:

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:09 pm

Entirely predictable result.

When a team with little or no ambition and a Physio as manager come up against a team with ambition and a proper manager, there’s only gonna be one winner.

We have no plan, no physicality (despite Whitney always banging on about Passion etc), and we have no quality - I’ll give anyone who can name a worse starting midfield line up than Ismail, Chambers, Edwards, Morris from the last 20 years a £10 McDonald’s voucher.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:22 pm

Men against boys at times and I think that the players, hard working as they were today, are simply not able to compete against the stronger teams at this stage of the season. The squad isn't capable enough.

We should have scored at least one of the chances we created in the last 30 minutes and claimed a very creditable draw. I think if anyone still feels that this squad could mount a sustained push for the playoffs then I'd say that they must be very, very optimistic. The only person truly at fault for this is Bonser. Another manager might eek out a handful more points, but we'd still fall short of the top six I suspect.

Walsall_fan1992
UTS Regular

Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:44 pm

I don't particularly post most but today is the final straw, he will not learn and is making the same mistakes time and time again.

We started the game today 4-4-2 with Oztumer on the right wing with Zeli Ismail playing upfront with Daniel Agyei. We unsurprisingly conceded within less than a minute and after our first attack of the game which was a decent move led to a goal we reverted back to our usual shape. Why we decided to try yet another formation out is beyond me. After that it was a shitshow of hoofball by both teams. Our gameplan seemed to be hoof it down the right, give it to Ismail and hope for him to do something. Once this was snuffed out at half time by their manager and Moore came on, there was only one winner. The last 10 minutes were a shambles.

I never thought I'd say this about Whitney but he is a coward. A strong word but anytime we win he will happily come and celebrate (and rightly so) with the players and is usually the one leading it. But when we lose, he'll be the first to hang the players out to dry (as he has done today) and will stay by the dugout hiding away. I was sat next to Neil Etheridge at the Newport game and whilst I shall not divulge most of what he told me, I can say with full confidence that the players resent him for this. Etheridge said that Warnock will go over to the fans in front of the players win, lose or draw and spoke of him very highly compared to Whitney. It is no wonder a lot of players fall out with him, I can't stand listening to him after 5 seconds of him on the radio, imagine having to work with him day in and day out.

We have reverted back to aimless hoofball with no real purpose at all since the Scunthorpe game and I'm sure I'm not the only one to say they will not renew their season ticket next year. He has to go, I cannot pay anymore to watch the football served up this season.

UTS
Last edited by Walsall_fan1992 on Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ToeJoe Jnr
UTS Regular

Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:45 pm

I don’t care anymore, the club doesn’t, Whitless can’t with the garbage he spouts and the players, in fairness probably do care, unfortunately most of them are gash.

Please stop playing Leahy and Morris together, playing either of them is bad enough but together, my life it is difficult to watch!

Give him Plymouth as his swan song then 13 odd days without a game, sack him and get someone else in.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:56 pm

Walsall_fan1992 wrote:I never thought I'd say this about Whitney but he is a coward. A strong word but anytime we win he will happily come and celebrate (and rightly so) with the players and is usually the one leading it. But when we lose, he'll be the first to hang the players out to dry (as he has done today) and will stay by the dugout hiding away. I was sat next to Neil Etheridge at the Newport game and whilst I shall not divulge most of what he told me, I can say with full confidence that the players resent him for this. Etheridge said that Warnock will go over to the fans in front of the players win, lose or draw and spoke of him very highly compared to Whitney. It is no wonder a lot of players fall out with him, I can't stand listening to him after 5 seconds of him on the radio, imagine having to work with him day in and day out.
UTS

And this is precisely why many can’t abide Whitney.

At Wimbledon he was giving it the big un, acting like we’d won another one on our march to the league title. Then when we lose (which is quite regular) he disappears and or blames the players.

He’s an idiot, and he’s rapidly driving a wedge between the club and the fans

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:57 pm

A somewhat undeserved defeat against a real hoofball team BUT we cannot afford to give away goals like the first one today. Very poor defending and it cost us the game because despite having a better squad the opposition were not great. Ironic that we should score the best goal of the game too from a lovely piece of football.
Lets hope Cuvelier can get fit and when Baka comes back on Monday he can provident the least ,some energy up front.

saddlertd
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:04 pm

boringteacher wrote:No shape, pattern or tactics. The second relegation standard performance in a row.

I'd love to hear his bleats but I'd have to break my radio at the sound of his dulcet tones. Sack the useless git now, or the bottom 6 awaits by may :twisted:

I couldn’t agree more with your first sentence: I don’t see what our game plan is, how are we trying to score a goal? Are we trying to play fluid passing football and open up the opposition defence with our cute strikers? NO. Are we trying to get the ball forward to our big Centre forward who is an excellent target man, good in the air and the skill to create chances for the skilful second striker? NO. We are playing a confused mixture of tactics, relying on hope and the occasional piece of inspiration like we did today for our goal - it really was well-worked and well-taken by Edwards. BUT - it was an oasis in a desert of mediocrity.

The difference with Rotherham was palpable: you could see how they were trying to win the game: defend well, press as a team, be creative in midfield, counter-attack at pace, use the wings to get dangerous crosses in and pose a threat from set pieces - we did none of those things! Much of the blame for that lies with Whitney and his “coaching” staff, the rest lies with Ebeneezer Bonser.

Walsallnil

Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:05 pm

Walsallone wrote:A somewhat undeserved defeat against a real hoofball team BUT we cannot afford to give away goals like the first one today. Very poor defending and it cost us the game because despite having a better squad the opposition were not great.

While my heart agrees with Walsallone, my head tells me we never looked like scoring from the half chances we created. It’s hard to see any planning or pattern in most of our play.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:10 pm

Walsallnil wrote:
Walsallone wrote:A somewhat undeserved defeat against a real hoofball team BUT we cannot afford to give away goals like the first one today. Very poor defending and it cost us the game because despite having a better squad the opposition were not great.

While my heart agrees with Walsallone, my head tells me we never looked like scoring from the half chances we created. It’s hard to see any planning or pattern in most of our play.

Botherum richly deserved their win. We could have snaffled a draw and I'd have been overjoyed. I honestly don't think we have the players to make any sustained push on the playoffs, I think we have enough quality to stave off relegation. By default that means somewhere in midtable, even with a managerial supremo.

saddlertd
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:15 pm

Walsallone wrote:A somewhat undeserved defeat against a real hoofball team BUT we cannot afford to give away goals like the first one today. Very poor defending and it cost us the game because despite having a better squad the opposition were not great. Ironic that we should score the best goal of the game too from a lovely piece of football.
Lets hope Cuvelier can get fit and when Baka comes back on Monday he can provident the least ,some energy up front.

What game were you watching, Walsallone? Rotherham weren’t playing hoofball: their second goal came from a lovely through ball to the right wing and a good cross into the box which we didn’t defend well enough. There were some really poor performances from Walsall players today: Leahy proved once again that he can’t defend; Gillespie was indecisive and at fault for the second goal; Chambers has no creativity; Morris was awful, so was Agyei (the new Ngoo?) and Jackson missed from 6 inches. The big difference between Rovrum and us was that they had a defined, well-understood game plan, with a team structure, we didn’t!

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:16 pm

The only plus for me today, was the fact that i only had to pay £8 for my ticket off wayne Thomas and i didn't have to pay to park :) i also thought it was nice that o'donnell took the time to come over at half time to speak to fans :D

Addis Saddler
UTS Regular

Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:31 pm

Seeing a child battling cancer rather puts it all in perspective, but we all want Walsall to win. I got the scoreline spot on and I have no pleasure in saying the game went as I imagined it would. We did not have moves, we had breaks. There was no sustained pressure and we did not make Rotherham break sweat for their win.
We have little movement, fluidity or pace. I suspect we have decent players who are being poorly coached. If we avoid relegation I doubt it will be by much. I would welcome a change of manager but as we know that is a small part of the overall picture. I have supported the club since 1973 and we have been bad before, but you felt that club did want to get better. Do those in charge really want to make us better than we currently are? The chap next to me said everything at the club seems stale, it's hard to disagree with that.

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:38 pm

2 points from 12 over the xmas period playing 2 teams in the bottom 3 simoly isn't a good enough haul
were now only 6 points away from the dreaded bottom 4 and a defeat Monday to in in form Plymouth will drop us right in it.
make no bones about it were in for a relegation scrap this season when we should have been comfortably mid table

PreviousNext
Return to 2017-18 Season