Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Rochdale (A) 23rd Dec, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
BarnsleySaddler
Glitterati

Re: Rochdale (A) 23rd Dec, 3pm

Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:34 pm

Jackson replaces Morris. Is this the master tactician at work. He needs to do something or there is only going to be 1 winner and that ain`t going to be the Saddlers.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:38 pm

Wigan going for some sort of away win record ..... 0-7 at Oxford now

Rochdale yellow card, 78 min

Walsall's 2nd substitution, 79 minutes........ Kouhyar on for Ismail

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:40 pm

Still somehow 11th in the live table despite being on course for second straight defeat.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:43 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:Still somehow 11th in the live table despite being on course for second straight defeat.

Yes, but as things stand we're 10 points away from the play-offs but only 4 points above the drop zone. The teams at the foot of the table have started to put wins together.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:46 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:Still somehow 11th in the live table despite being on course for second straight defeat.

Yes, but as things stand we're 10 points away from the play-offs but only 4 points above the drop zone. The teams at the foot of the table have started to put wins together.

Will pick up points in the home games as usual, neither Bristol or Rotherham have been in good form lately.

1 shot on target today and last week is the big problem here. Lack of spark and creativity in the final third if Ozzy isn't on his game.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:47 pm

Walsall's 3rd substitution, 86 minutes ..... Flanagan on for Edwards

Rochdale's 2nd yellow card, 88 min

AND FROM THE FREE KICK THERE IS AN EQUALISER!!!!!!!!! 1-1 (88 min) Magic Maz Kouhyar :D :D :D

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:50 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:

They will put wins together if they play us.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:50 pm

1-1....

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:52 pm

Well done Maz Kouyhar, first senior goal. :D

BarnsleySaddler
Glitterati

Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:52 pm

Kouhyar equalises. 1-1 :D

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:58 pm

Well done Kouyhar...looks like a fair result on the stats. UTS

BarnsleySaddler
Glitterati

Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:02 pm

Managed a draw. A los and a draw against 2 of the bottom 4 teams does not bode well and can only give confidence to opposing teams before they play us.i

ShyTallKnight
Glitterati

Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:05 pm

Always said JW is half a genius.

saddlertd
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:07 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:

Will pick up points in the home games as usual, neither Bristol or Rotherham have been in good form lately.

1 shot on target today and last week is the big problem here. Lack of spark and creativity in the final third if Ozzy isn't on his game.

Ozzy is probably winding down before being sold in January. And also, he is generally less effective away from home.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:10 pm

BarnsleySaddler wrote:Managed a draw. A los and a draw against 2 of the bottom 4 teams does not bode well and can only give confidence to opposing teams before they play us.i

Walsall is different team on home turf, we all see that with the performance against Scunny who won again today.

Think the team is capable of 4 points in the next two, ideally needs Tyler Roberts back though.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:10 pm

BarnsleySaddler wrote:Managed a draw. A los and a draw against 2 of the bottom 4 teams does not bode well and can only give confidence to opposing teams before they play us.i

Misread that as playoffs! :D

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:13 pm

Was the same last month.
We lost at home to Gillingham and scraped a win against Wimbledon despite a poor performance.
With the exception of the Scunthorpe game we’ve ranged from mediocre to poor in a lot of our performance CDs.

There’s always the risk of us losing a few and dropping straight into the cack because of how close the league is.
So far we’ve avoided it because we seem to have the knack of pulling out a result at the last minute.
Question is, can we keep doing it?

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:18 pm

On the other hand 10 points from 5 games is ok especially as 3 were away from home!!

UTS Legend

Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:20 pm

saddlertd wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:

Ozzy is probably winding down before being sold in January. And also, he is generally less effective away from home.

He may be winding down but he still finds the back of the net much more often than anyone else we have - another one today (chalked off :( ).

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:31 pm

SaddlerSteve wrote:

Was the same last month.
We lost at home to Gillingham and scraped a win against Wimbledon despite a poor performance.
With the exception of the Scunthorpe game we’ve ranged from mediocre to poor in a lot of our performance CDs.

There’s always the risk of us losing a few and dropping straight into the cack because of how close the league is.
So far we’ve avoided it because we seem to have the knack of pulling out a result at the last minute.

Would take a lot to be relegated at this point.

29 points after 22 games so on course for 58 points after 44 so basically 60 points this season.

50 is the bar so only really 5-6 wins needed for rest of the season.

So atrocious form that will get Whitney the sack and his replacement unable to do anything. Just plodding along at the current rate will see Walsall comfortably survive.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:36 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:
SaddlerSteve wrote:

Was the same last month.

29 points after 22 games so on course for 58 points after 44 so basically 60 points this season.

So atrocious form that will get Whitney the sack and his replacement unable to do anything. Just plodding along at the current rate will see Walsall comfortably survive.

You only have to look to last season though where we tanked in the 2nd half of the season after a reasonable start. With possible enforced changes coming up in January there’s a good possibility that could happen and the league is closer this season.

I suspect we’ll still keep pulling out results just at the right time though to keep us mid table. Which means another season of Whitless in charge.... goody! :roll:

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:51 pm

Walsallone wrote:On the other hand 10 points from 5 games is ok especially as 3 were away from home!!

Exactly

10 points is more than ok

Don't know how hard it is for a kid from Afghanistan to become anywhere near a professional footballer let alone at league one and to score.

He should be very proud of himself and I am proud of my club that he has been given the opportunity

UTS

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:09 pm

Just got back, well what can be said about that rescued point?

More passion from the team today than I have seen for a while, but, lets face it we are VERY ordinary, Rochdale are even poorer, yet managed to score first and it looked all over.

Ozzy is one hell of a player, and I agree with Whitney's words of wisdom when he says that he really puts in a shift, never stopped running, never stopped trying.

We were so much in charge for the majority of the game that a defeat would have been an injustice, yet the same old problem rears it's head again....we have no one capable of scoring, the equaliser was hardly a classic, pinball in their penalty area and suddenly it was in the net.

Agyie can go back to Burnley for all the use he was this afternoon...good at falling over but little else.

Glad of a point but we could, and should, have come away with all three points!

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:17 pm

Thanks for that report AM....Rochdale may have looked poor and they probably are but have only lost 3 times at home this year!!! and don't forget we were without Baka, Wilson and Cuvelier so not a bad point for me.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:25 pm

SaddlerSteve wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:
SaddlerSteve wrote:

Was the same last month.

You only have to look to last season though where we tanked in the 2nd half of the season after a reasonable start. With possible enforced changes coming up in January there’s a good possibility that could happen and the league is closer this season.

I suspect we’ll still keep pulling out results just at the right time though to keep us mid table. Which means another season of Whitless in charge.... goody! :roll:

There was really good form from Mid January (Sheffield 4-1) up to beating Oldham at home (six straight home wins). Team only tanked from after the Swindon home game, last three games were awful I'd admit.

There was never any relegation danger from January onwards last season, I suspect this season will be much the same.

Interesting question, if after Bury away at full time, you'd have been offered 11th at xmas, I'd have been amazed if anyone would've refused that.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:29 pm

On a more positive note...well done to Joe Thompson after he came on for Rochdale today after beating cancer for a second time. Puts things into perspective that.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:58 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:
SaddlerSteve wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:
SaddlerSteve wrote:

Was the same last month.

There was really good form from Mid January (Sheffield 4-1) up to beating Oldham at home (six straight home wins). Team only tanked from after the Swindon home game, last three games were awful I'd admit.

There was never any relegation danger from January onwards last season, I suspect this season will be much the same.

Interesting question, if after Bury away at full time, you'd have been offered 11th at xmas, I'd have been amazed if anyone would've refused that.

Well I’m glad we’re 11th and not in the relegation zone that’s for sure. We’re consistently inconsistent.
I still think another manager would get something more out of the team.

Harry
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:24 pm

One thing was very clear today.

For all his faults Bakayoko is a much better choice up front than Agyei or Jackson. We will miss him while he is suspended.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:47 pm

Funny atmos today, no youngsters (or very few) all participants were the same old faces that have been appearing for years making up the 'base' of the away support. All very sedate, no singing, no chanting, no anti-Whitney rhetoric.
Not that there was a lot to get excited about, yes we were well on top, but our attacking threat is feeble at best, it all looks reasonable until it comes to the end result. We still don't have a 'real' striker on our books, plenty threaten to have that title, but with very little end result. We cannot continue to rely on Ozzy to score our goals, the gorilla defenders have him marked as prey from the outset, so it is extremely difficult for the little 'un to make the goalscoring impact we expect of him at times. And, come January he might be sold off for a pittance to the first offer. :oops:

PT
Site Addict

Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:39 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:Funny atmos today, no youngsters (or very few) all participants were the same old faces that have been appearing for years making up the 'base' of the away support. All very sedate, no singing, no chanting, no anti-Whitney rhetoric.
ps:

I was sat opposite our fans and have to say it looked like everyone had had a big falling out and didn't want to sit by, talk to or sing with anyone else. A very spread out and quiet contingent.

PreviousNext
Return to 2017-18 Season