Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Northampton Town (A) Dec 16th, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Whitters
Site Addict

Re: Northampton Town (A) Dec 16th, 3pm

Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:01 pm

reedswood sadler wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:Sorry everybody, get carried away being so passionate about my beloved team, I apologise for any offence given.

Never apologise for being passionate AM if the team showed half the passion us supporters have maybe we would not have to watch so maay crap performances.

Agree. I'm just surprised AM didn't hammer Baka for getting a straight red so late on.
I haven't seen the video but I've always considered that someone who gets a straight red so late is unprofessional and maybe has cack where his brains should be.
I don't apologise for any offence given or taken.

UTS Legend

Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:23 am

Northampton had scored ONE goal in their previous six games. Gillespie should have done better with their second today. Baka showing a lot of energy in the dying minutes. [Channel 5 high(?)lights]

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c78RUx ... p=drivesdk

WalsallMem

Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:09 am

394 travelling fans.

That is the worst following to Northampton I have ever known in 40+ years and things have been a lot worse than they are now. I would expect Bury and even Shrewsbury to take more....

How the hell do our resident football experts and club insiders(!) expect us to be challenging for The Championship when we can't take 400 fans an hour down the M6.

These days we are a poorly supported, average league one side. That's the reality. Used to be proud of our travelling fans but numbers have been on the decline for many, many years. However, that has really shocked me.

Whitters
Site Addict

Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:14 am

Guest wrote:Northampton had scored ONE goal in their previous six games. Gillespie should have done better with their second today. Baka showing a lot of energy in the dying minutes. [Channel 5 high(?)lights]

Cheers Guest!
Baka has to learn from this, the red mist never does anyone any good.
There's no explaining his actions - except for the old Christmas break theory.
Northampton's goalie looks like he has room for improvement.

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:59 am

Whitters wrote:
Guest wrote:Northampton had scored ONE goal in their previous six games. Gillespie should have done better with their second today. Baka showing a lot of energy in the dying minutes. [Channel 5 high(?)lights]

Cheers Guest!
Baka has to learn from this, the red mist never does anyone any good.
There's no explaining his actions - except for the old Christmas break theory.
Northampton's goalie looks like he has room for improvement.

One of the points they kept making in commentary was how shaky their keeper was but that we were just not putting him under any pressure at all.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:15 am

WalsallMem wrote:394 travelling fans.

That is the worst following to Northampton I have ever known in 40+ years and things have been a lot worse than they are now. I would expect Bury and even Shrewsbury to take more....

How the hell do our resident football experts and club insiders(!) expect us to be challenging for The Championship when we can't take 400 fans an hour down the M6.

These days we are a poorly supported, average league one side. That's the reality. Used to be proud of our travelling fans but numbers have been on the decline for many, many years. However, that has really shocked me.

We only live a 15 minute train ride away and we made the last minute decision not to bother. Had bought the train tickets months ago but was going to pay on the day.
A few train delays and the crappy weather were enough to dissuade us. Considering some of the worse conditions we’ve attended over the years I was surprised how easy it was for us to make the decision. The thought that it was likely going to be dross made it easier.

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:45 am

7 players surrounding him and he still gets a shot in, I think Gillespie should be ashamed of himself letting that shot go passed him,

PT
Site Addict

Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:50 am

A good point but we've been heading in this direction for some time add in a combination of time of year, train issues and weather, yesterday was always going to be difficult.

The general demise of our away following over last couple of seasons can be attributed to our away form since JW took over and the relative expense of away games during difficult economic times (Walsall always hit harder than most).

There is also a characteristic of our travelling support that is a complete flip of how it was traditionally in that there is a section of our travelling support that creates a more negative atmosphere than there is at home games. It's certainly a lot less fun that it used to be. Maybe I'm getting old and have a rose tinted view of the past but we used to takes hundreds everywhere who's intent was a cracking day out, a good laugh and unequivocal backing of the team. I remember going to Bury about this time of year during Coakley's difficult first half season. We were four nil down inside about 30 minutes. The reaction of the 500 or so of us there was to sing our hearts out and indeed dance our socks off for the second half. Was a great day out despite the drubbing. Now, it feels like a slightly misguided sense of entitlement pervades. I am certainly in the "Whitney out" camp but I'm a million miles from travelling hundreds of miles to a game so that I can deride him and the team thus creating a disunited front on enemy territory.

PT
Site Addict

Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:53 am

clawtheolder wrote:7 players surrounding him and he still gets a shot in, I think Gillespie should be ashamed of himself letting that shot go passed him,

He's not that good is he? Rightly lost his place to last season's third choice keeper having lost our second choice because the manager didn't reckon him. Grr.

ToeJoe Jnr
UTS Regular

Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:47 am

PT wrote:
clawtheolder wrote:7 players surrounding him and he still gets a shot in, I think Gillespie should be ashamed of himself letting that shot go passed him,

He's not that good is he? Rightly lost his place to last season's third choice keeper having lost our second choice because the manager didn't reckon him. Grr.

Is it just me or does he seem to struggle with anything that is hit straight at him!

Bakayoko was stupid to dive into that challenge, he has that in him and it will ultimately hold him back. Perhaps Whitney should dig out some old videos of Demontangac and ask Baka to find out where he is now.

This result epitomises where we are under Whitney. Some better results to take the pressure off followed up by a defeat against a team whose recents stats (1 goal in last 6 games) are shocking. At least it puts us on an even keel of W7 D7 L7 so we can maintain being bang average under him.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:48 am

PT wrote:

A good point but we've been heading in this direction for some time add in a combination of time of year, train issues and weather, yesterday was always going to be difficult.

The general demise of our away following over last couple of seasons can be attributed to our away form since JW took over and the relative expense of away games during difficult economic times (Walsall always hit harder than most).

There is also a characteristic of our travelling support that is a complete flip of how it was traditionally in that there is a section of our travelling support that creates a more negative atmosphere than there is at home games. It's certainly a lot less fun that it used to be. Maybe I'm getting old and have a rose tinted view of the past but we used to takes hundreds everywhere who's intent was a cracking day out, a good laugh and unequivocal backing of the team. I remember going to Bury about this time of year during Coakley's difficult first half season. We were four nil down inside about 30 minutes. The reaction of the 500 or so of us there was to sing our hearts out and indeed dance our socks off for the second half. Was a great day out despite the drubbing. Now, it feels like a slightly misguided sense of entitlement pervades. I am certainly in the "Whitney out" camp but I'm a million miles from travelling hundreds of miles to a game so that I can deride him and the team thus creating a disunited front on enemy territory.
Bristol city was the same, great day out despite the drubbing :D

chunkster
Site Addict

Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:51 am

Did well to parry the first header leading to their first goal though? lack of support from the defenders.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:14 am

I wouldn't criticise him too much for the second...yes it's close to him but sometimes those low ones are difficult for keepers to save if they can't adjust their feet in time.

Marking was pretty poor, scorer of the first and he has ability to turn on edge of the box?

PT
Site Addict

Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:33 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:I wouldn't criticise him too much for the second...yes it's close to him but sometimes those low ones are difficult for keepers to save if they can't adjust their feet in time.

Marking was pretty poor, scorer of the first and he has ability to turn on edge of the box?

That's fair. He was no more culpable than the statues in front of him.

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:52 pm

That was my point, there was 7players in a ring and not one went to close him down.

Fish
UTS Veteran

Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:10 pm

Translation required:

“I thought we started really well,” the boss said.
“We knew that they’d be. They needed a result. We knew they wanted to be on the front foot. We wanted to play over the press which I think we did really well and we got the goal.
“But I don’t know why after that their mind-set was that we could go and play.
“Northampton were not going to sit back after going a goal down. They were going to try and be even more on the front foot.
“We had to play beyond their energy and not give them the chance to get back into the game.
“I’ve said to the lads that is what you have got to get better at. As a group, you have got be resolute and not conceded in that 10 minute period.
“In a way, that opening goal back fired. Because they got the goal and that gave them momentum to kick on. It’s that period after that goal that we have to manage better.
“As a group they have to look at that. And if it happens again they have to manage it better.”

It's just noise. But from that, according to he who must not be criticised, I get the reason that we lost was because we scored.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:01 pm

Fish wrote:Translation required:

“We knew that they’d be. They needed a result. We knew they wanted to be on the front foot. We wanted to play over the press which I think we did really well and we got the goal.
“Northampton were not going to sit back after going a goal down. They were going to try and be even more on the front foot.
“We had to play beyond their energy and not give them the chance to get back into the game.
“I’ve said to the lads that is what you have got to get better at. As a group, you have got be resolute and not conceded in that 10 minute period.
“In a way, that opening goal back fired. Because they got the goal and that gave them momentum to kick on. It’s that period after that goal that we have to manage better.
“As a group they have to look at that. And if it happens again they have to manage it better.”

It's just noise. But from that, according to he who must not be criticised, I get the reason that we lost was because we scored.

I was going to say that you couldn't write it, but it clearly has been :lol:

nottmsaddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:53 pm

Addis Saddler wrote:My local game. Went with a Cobblers fan who was telling me how bad they are. On the way back he said he never thought we were going to score. Our goal came from poor defensive play. It was pretty even til half time but we did nothing after the break. No creativity or flair at all from midfield. Yes, we were unfortunate to lose Flo but that risk is always going to he there, sadly. Ismail started brightly but faded. Some of our passing was atrocious. Northampton really were nothing special...with the start we had we should have gone on to win the game, their confidence was shot. Can't make a claim that we deserved a draw today. On this display we could easily be sucked into a scrap down the bottom - Christmas period is hugely important.

A very brief but perfectly accurate summary of the game, Addis. Tell you everything you need to know.

The early goal would have devastated most teams in their run of form, but we somehow managed to not only lose the lead but all momentum by the time the sixth minute arrived. Arguably, Oztumer's shot that hit the bar from the restart was the last thing we did of note and even then Bako's infringement would have ruled it out had it gone in.

On that, I really can't understand those saying he was having a good game before the red card. He set up the goal but after that, what? Admittedly, all we did was lump up to him and he won 20% of those balls but nothing that hurt the opposition. If we are ever going to be better than mid-table we need a focal point that does more than that.

Unless it was just comparatively speaking because compared to Chambers, Leahy and Kinsella, he looked like a world-beater.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:47 pm

Whitney's pronouncements are indeed weird. It will be interesting to see his next few team selections. With four loans expiring next month, we need to get points on the board over the Christmas period. Shaun Donnellan seems surplus to requirements but the loss of Dan Agyei, Zeli Ismail and Terry Lobster (if, indeed, any or all of them leave) would leave a big hole in the attacking options. Neither Mitch Candlin nor Matty Fryatt (remember him?) are anywhere near ready to answer the call and so that leaves the offside king himself. He and Amadou Bakayoko could well be our strike force come January.

Talking of Bakayoko, he has had two hard-working performances against Scunthorpe and Northampton, finally using his size and strength to better effect. That said, his wild, dangerous tackle at the end of yesterday's game was utterly stupid and fully deserving of his red card. We really need to get Lobster fit now to cover for Bakayoko's 3 match ban. I have an equal lack of sympathy for Crooks, the Cobblers player who was sent off. Already on a yellow card, he continued gobbing off at the referee, even after Bakayoko was sent off. What a prize prat!

I felt very sorry for Liam Kinsella yesterday. Northampton are a tall side who tried to bully us. In Kinsella's case they often succeeded. He was at fault (along with others) for both of their goals. For the first, he was easily out-jumped by O'Toole and he was very slow to close down Long for the second. Whitney has persuaded Kinsella that he is a right-back despite his lack of height and physical presence. Kinsella really needs to concentrate on his true position in midfield. Obviously, he needs to come to terms with the physical side of the game (a loan to a National League team, perhaps?) but he is the same size as his Dad who went on to have a top career at club and international levels.

Cuvelier was the victim of one of a number of crude Northampton tackles and I can only hope that he quickly recovers. Our midfield lacks creative class and a fit Cuvelier could provide it. Chambers, Edwards and Flanagan, try as they might, do not provide it.

I entered the Sixfields Stadium braced by optimism but then saw us lose, deservedly, to a very poor Northampton side. I should, after watching Walsall since 1955, have known better! :mrgreen: I left, feeling suitably depressed! :(

Kevlar
UTS Veteran

Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:21 pm

Stanley Unwin would be proud.

I presume this gibberish is just for the media. I'd be worried if he communicated with the players in this manner.

ChopperWFC
UTS Veteran

Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:47 pm

Can someone tell me how you "play past their energy " ?? I don't know that tactic !

chunkster
Site Addict

Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:15 pm

Kevlar wrote:

It's just noise. But from that, according to he who must not be criticised, I get the reason that we lost was because we scored.[/quot

Stanley Unwin would be proud.

I presume this gibberish is just for the media. I'd be worried if he communicated with the players in this manner.

I think he is using the baffle em with bull****t rhetoric :lol:

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:32 am

ChopperWFC wrote:Can someone tell me how you "play past their energy " ?? I don't know that tactic !

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: this cracked me up, what on this planet is the fella on about!

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:41 am

The Whitney effect.... 6 less at Rochdale on Saturday after that shower

scott_powell
Site Addict

Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:48 am

In a way, that opening goal back fired. Because they got the goal and that gave them momentum to kick on. It’s that period after that goal that we have to manage better.

The biggest load of shite I have ever read

Another loss, another blaming of the players decision making. fudge off Jon.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:08 am

But SCOTT sometimes players have bad games don't they? It happens and from what I have heard some of our key players were poor on Saturday. I am not too sure how you can blame the Manager for that. He did the right thing...he picked the team who played so well last week however he lost one of his best players early and had to bring on someone who hadn't played for some weeks.
It is fair to criticise the things the manager can influence like the make up of the squad, the tactics but when individuals have a bad game the fault lies with them rather than the Manager in my view.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:13 am

Walsallone wrote:But SCOTT sometimes players have bad games don't they? It happens and from what I have heard some of our key players were poor on Saturday. I am not too sure how you can blame the Manager for that. He did the right thing...he picked the team who played so well last week however he lost one of his best players early and had to bring on someone who hadn't played for some weeks.
It is fair to criticise the things the manager can influence like the make up of the squad, the tactics but when individuals have a bad game the fault lies with them rather than the Manager in my view.

My point is he never takes responsibility.

And the "In a way, that opening goal back fired" comment is probably the stupidest comment I've ever heard from any manager. It's actually moronic.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:23 am

The comment you dislike began with the word "we". I took that to mean himself as well as the players but I agree it was open to a different interpretation!! Anyway we lost and we must do better on Saturday at Rochdale....as I have posted before consistently inconsistent! so you just don't know what will happen.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:30 am

Walsallone wrote:The comment you dislike began with the word "we". I took that to mean himself as well as the players but I agree it was open to a different interpretation!! Anyway we lost and we must do better on Saturday at Rochdale....as I have posted before consistently inconsistent! so you just don't know what will happen.

The comment I disliked was the one highlighted in bold

“In a way, that opening goal back fired. Because they got the goal and that gave them momentum to kick on. It’s that period after that goal that we have to manage better."

I don't think anyone can defend the stupidity of that comment. I'm sure the usual suspects will try.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:33 am

scott_powell wrote:
Walsallone wrote:The comment you dislike began with the word "we". I took that to mean himself as well as the players but I agree it was open to a different interpretation!! Anyway we lost and we must do better on Saturday at Rochdale....as I have posted before consistently inconsistent! so you just don't know what will happen.

The comment I disliked was the one highlighted in bold

“In a way, that opening goal back fired. Because they got the goal and that gave them momentum to kick on. It’s that period after that goal that we have to manage better."

I don't think anyone can defend the stupidity of that comment. I'm sure the usual suspects will try.

Yeah but you are banging on about how he takes no responsibility, despite saying things like "we" in the full quote.

And if it's a load of bollocks that we managed the game poorly after that first goal then you must think we did it perfectly by losing two goals? Personally I think we didn't manage the game well but here we go, I'm the contrarian here, everything I say is just argumentative.

I take far more issue with the "we needed to play beyond their energy" line which, quite literally, makes zero sense whatsoever.

PreviousNext
Return to 2017-18 Season