Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Northampton Town (A) Dec 16th, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
scott_powell
Site Addict

Re: Northampton Town (A) Dec 16th, 3pm

Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:00 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
Walsallone wrote:The comment you dislike began with the word "we". I took that to mean himself as well as the players but I agree it was open to a different interpretation!! Anyway we lost and we must do better on Saturday at Rochdale....as I have posted before consistently inconsistent! so you just don't know what will happen.

The comment I disliked was the one highlighted in bold

“In a way, that opening goal back fired. Because they got the goal and that gave them momentum to kick on. It’s that period after that goal that we have to manage better."

I don't think anyone can defend the stupidity of that comment. I'm sure the usual suspects will try.

Yeah but you are banging on about how he takes no responsibility, despite saying things like "we" in the full quote.

And if it's a load of bollocks that we managed the game poorly after that first goal then you must think we did it perfectly by losing two goals? Personally I think we didn't manage the game well but here we go, I'm the contrarian here, everything I say is just argumentative.

I take far more issue with the "we needed to play beyond their energy" line which, quite literally, makes zero sense whatsoever.

El_Nombre wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
Walsallone wrote:The comment you dislike began with the word "we". I took that to mean himself as well as the players but I agree it was open to a different interpretation!! Anyway we lost and we must do better on Saturday at Rochdale....as I have posted before consistently inconsistent! so you just don't know what will happen.

“In a way, that opening goal back fired. Because they got the goal and that gave them momentum to kick on. It’s that period after that goal that we have to manage better."

I don't think anyone can defend the stupidity of that comment. I'm sure the usual suspects will try.

Yeah but you are banging on about how he takes no responsibility, despite saying things like "we" in the full quote.

And if it's a load of bollocks that we managed the game poorly after that first goal then you must think we did it perfectly by losing two goals? Personally I think we didn't manage the game well but here we go, I'm the contrarian here, everything I say is just argumentative.

I take far more issue with the "we needed to play beyond their energy" line which, quite literally, makes zero sense whatsoever.

My main issue is the "In a way, that opening goal back fired. Because they got the goal and that gave them momentum to kick on" part actually.

My "decision making" comment is more referring to the fact that when we lose 9/10 it's the players decision making at fault. I wasn't particularly making the comment based on this interview (although “As a group they have to look at that. And if it happens again they have to manage it better.” seems to be passing a bit of responsibility to me but maybe I should have made it clearer I wasn't really referring to this interview, just a general pattern. My bad.)

The comment you highlight is utter bollocks too, agreed.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:35 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
scott_powell wrote:

You, El-Nombre, contrary? Never let it be said mate! :wink: At least you and Scott agree on some matters! Despite the previous 3 wins on the trot, Saturday found him and the players out as being bog average to pith poor at best.
Not looking forward to the Rochdale game, we very rarely seem to do well there, they may be in the bottom four, but they will find Saturday an easy 3 points in their relegation scrap, aka Northampton, unless Roberts plays a blinder, now that our International bound (in one physio's eyes at least!) but clumsy tackling super star is out of the picture for a while...............how is Whitter's going to cope? he will need counselling!

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:11 pm

scott_powell wrote:
Fish wrote:Translation required:

“I thought we started really well,” the boss said.
“We knew that they’d be. They needed a result. We knew they wanted to be on the front foot. We wanted to play over the press which I think we did really well and we got the goal.
“But I don’t know why after that their mind-set was that we could go and play.
“Northampton were not going to sit back after going a goal down. They were going to try and be even more on the front foot.
“We had to play beyond their energy and not give them the chance to get back into the game.
“I’ve said to the lads that is what you have got to get better at. As a group, you have got be resolute and not conceded in that 10 minute period.
In a way, that opening goal back fired. Because they got the goal and that gave them momentum to kick on. It’s that period after that goal that we have to manage better.
“As a group they have to look at that. And if it happens again they have to manage it better.”

It's just noise. But from that, according to he who must not be criticised, I get the reason that we lost was because we scored.

The biggest load of shite I have ever read

Another loss, another blaming of the players decision making. fudge off Jon.

Back again eh? Predictable, so predictable. I didn't see anyone mention your name.

No need to reply I am not going to play.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:31 pm

Optimistic wrote:
scott_powell wrote:

“We knew that they’d be. They needed a result. We knew they wanted to be on the front foot. We wanted to play over the press which I think we did really well and we got the goal.
“Northampton were not going to sit back after going a goal down. They were going to try and be even more on the front foot.
“We had to play beyond their energy and not give them the chance to get back into the game.
“I’ve said to the lads that is what you have got to get better at. As a group, you have got be resolute and not conceded in that 10 minute period.
In a way, that opening goal back fired. Because they got the goal and that gave them momentum to kick on. It’s that period after that goal that we have to manage better.
“As a group they have to look at that. And if it happens again they have to manage it better.”

It's just noise. But from that, according to he who must not be criticised, I get the reason that we lost was because we scored.

Back again eh? Predictable, so predictable. I didn't see anyone mention your name.

Predictable? Really? I had nothing to say on the match until I found these ridiculous post match comments which I have replied to 2 days after the event. I was hoping someone would start a thread on them but saw them mentioned here so commented? Got a problem with that? I've not had a pop at you or any other poster, just Whitney's comments. I haven't even mentioned teams selections, tactics or anything to do with the actual game. JUST THE COMMENTS.

You have a problem with me, PM me and keep it off the forum. Thanks.

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:10 pm

Optimistic wrote:
scott_powell wrote:

He may only appear when some one mentions his name - like genie of the lamp

I know its panto season but :lol:

scott_powell
Site Addict

Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:17 pm

No, I appear when our manager spouts rubbish. Looks like I'll be appearing a lot between now and the end of the season then :D

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:55 pm

scott_powell wrote:No, I appear when our manager spouts rubbish. Looks like I'll be appearing a lot between now and the end of the season then :D

You only seem to appear when we lose, Scott. In our "3 wins on the trot" session you appeared to be conspicuous by your absence...... :wink:

chunkster
Site Addict

Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:28 pm

Cowshed wrote:
Optimistic wrote:
scott_powell wrote:

sorry scott but that's funny :lol: :lol: :lol:

scott_powell
Site Addict

Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:31 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
scott_powell wrote:No, I appear when our manager spouts rubbish. Looks like I'll be appearing a lot between now and the end of the season then :D

You only seem to appear when we lose, Scott. In our "3 wins on the trot" session you appeared to be conspicuous by your absence...... :wink:

Having read the full quote on here by whitney I was compelled to comment here. It’s that simple really :)

UTS Legend

Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:05 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
scott_powell wrote:

It's simple really. Our 'energy' won us the game against Scunthorpe.

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/fo ... Scunthorpe/

But our 'energy' was not good enough against Northampton.

Energy wins matches.

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:48 pm

Cowshed wrote:
Optimistic wrote:
scott_powell wrote:

Just to clarify Cowshed, in case my post is taken out of context, I would point out that it's always panto season on here and I was referring to Scott's post on the 'humble pie' thread when he stated in reply to a post by me: Now, back in my hole until another poster brings my name up. and I noted that no-one had, hence my comment.

For the record I have no problem with Scott but he has had a 'Pop' at me many times on various threads when my Optimism appeared misguided. I therefore assumed that it was acceptable for me to return the compliment when the opportunity arose during a slight upturn in our fortunes but I appear to have touched a nerve.

I suppose it's my fault I just don't get the rules on here, but my username should make that clear anyway.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:53 am

Life and get one springs to mind when reading some of this bickering :roll:

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:56 am

Guest wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
scott_powell wrote:

It's simple really. Our 'energy' won us the game against Scunthorpe.

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/fo ... Scunthorpe/

But our 'energy' was not good enough against Northampton.

Energy wins matches.

No tactics and skill do. Energy is pretty much a given for a professional sportsman on thousands of pounds a week. Or should be anyway.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:19 am

You have to find the right mix and that comes down to recruitment , not all successful teams are full of grafters.

Skill will always triumph over energy (well 80-90% of the time) Jon needs to realise this, as more than likely this is why we continue to be so inconsistent.

Evo Boozy Saddler
Glitterati

Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:06 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:Went into one pub (Fox and Quill) where after waiting for 10 minutes due to the girl behind the bar having to change a barrel because they were out of Strongbow was told it was 40 minutes wait for food.

I also walked out of the Fox & Quill. Barmaid was awful.

Missed the opening two goals as I had to stand outside with my Maccy D's as they wouldn't let me in with it. Shocking performance but decent day out.

Previous
Return to 2017-18 Season