Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Scunthorpe United (H) Dec 9th, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
UTS Legend

Re: Scunthorpe United (H) Dec 9th, 3pm

Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:12 pm

3pts AND a clean sheet! Playoffs here we come. :D

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:15 pm

In summary:

Scunthorpe were rubbish and definitely won't finish in the top half.

Whitney to arrogantly claim input into the win, then hesitate for a second while 'making a face' in the post match interview, displaying his ingrained character flaws.

Players to celebrate 'in a strange way' at the end and aggressively move towards the fans while looking 'a bit pleased and smug' after the result, widening the divide with the real fans with their selfish attitudes.

Happy clapping fans to clap excessively at the final whistle, drowning out the 'Whitney out' chants from at least 90% of the ground.

:D :wink:

Sadly, not far from the truth for some I predict. :oops: :roll: :D

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:18 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:In summary:

Whitney to arrogantly claim input into the win, then hesitate for a second while 'making a face' in the post match interview, displaying his ingrained character flaws.

Players to celebrate 'in a strange way' at the end and aggressively move towards the fans while looking 'a bit pleased and smug' after the result, widening the divide with the real fans with their selfish attitudes.

Happy clapping fans to clap excessively at the final whistle, drowning out the 'Whitney out' chants from at least 90% of the ground.

Post of the flipping year. :lol: :D

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:21 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:

Post of the flipping year. :lol: :D
There are a few weeks left yet :mrgreen:

UTS Legend

Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:23 pm

And some posters will even come out of the woodwork. :mrgreen:

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:26 pm

well organised and motivated to claim a 3rd league win on the bounce and it being against an in form top 6 team

yet again well done team and management

UTS

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:42 pm

Whitney had never really convinced me and I'd of happily seen him sacked after Newport, but that's a great result today.

The fact we could be eight if we win our game in hand really shows there isn't much quality outside of the top six. I'm still not entirely convinced we've turned a corner but let's enjoy it for now.

I see some on Twitter are still grinding their axes, but if you can't have room for a bit of positivity after three league wins on the bounce when can you?

SWS11
UTS Regular

Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:47 pm

Great win! :D And a missed penalty :roll: . First one we've had for a while?
Well chuffed with our league form :D
Cups? Not so much :evil:
But, Hey! Excelsior!
:D

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:49 pm

pumajaguar wrote:Whitney had never really convinced me and I'd of happily seen him sacked after Newport, but that's a great result today.

The fact we could be eight if we win our game in hand really shows there isn't much quality outside of the top six. I'm still not entirely convinced we've turned a corner but let's enjoy it for now.

I see some on Twitter are still grinding their axes, but if you can't have room for a bit of positivity after three league wins on the bounce when can you?

Already been accused of propagating a UTS trolling campaign on FB for mocking a post declaring 'it was the fans wot won it' today. Whitney apparently followed their advice because he can't think for himself. :!:

No, seriously ... :D :D :D

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:56 pm

pumajaguar wrote:Whitney had never really convinced me and I'd of happily seen him sacked after Newport, but that's a great result today.

You’ve pretty much said exactly what I was gonna post Puma so I’ll save the keystrokes!

Would add though that the club must do something to look to rebuild the faith of the fans who simply have had enough of their smug and ill advised tactics in the press etc.... we’ve always been tagged as a family club with honest fans and in the main we are exactly that but many supporter’s belief that we will remain that way will have been badly damaged by this seasons board room and management antics so far.....

That said (it is a game thread this one) so well done boys for a good performance against a form team - UTS

PT
Site Addict

Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:58 pm

Brilliant. :lol:

We kept a clean sheet against a free scoring side and created chances ourselves.

Fantastic.

Well done Jon and the boys. Three on the spin can't be argued with. And yes, I was bemoaning the dropping of Kory Roberts before kick-off. I was wrong and Whitney was right. Let's hope that is a recurring theme over the next few weeks and months.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:47 pm

The improvement continues with a really impressive team performance. 9 points now from the crucial games we identified some weeks ago!
One or two additional points;
The Baka/Ozzie partnership was excellent today. Baka .is a most improved player over the past few games.
Cuvelier made a great difference to our mid field.
Gillespie saved the three points with a great save about 3 minutes from the end when he hadn't had much to do.
Whisper it quietly perhaps those of us who are of an optimistic disposition may be right.........................

Harry
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:03 pm

A few weeks ago, after defeats to Newport and Gillingham, Saigon posted that he had reluctantly lost faith in Whitney.

I told him that he had chosen the wrong week to change his mind because although Walsall had lost those matches they had actually played pretty well and showed positive signs. It seemed to me that Whitney had decided to alter our playing style and was at long last beginning to show signs that he might make a manager.

I am glad that results and performances since then show that I might have been right, and think that there is now a chance that Whitney will prove his critics wrong.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:13 pm

Harry wrote:A few weeks ago, after defeats to Newport and Gillingham, Saigon posted that he had reluctantly lost faith in Whitney.

I told him that he had chosen the wrong week to change his mind because although Walsall had lost those matches they had actually played pretty well and showed positive signs. It seemed to me that Whitney had decided to alter our playing style and was at long last beginning to show signs that he might make a manager.

I am glad that results and performances since then show that I might have been right, and think that there is now a chance that Whitney will prove his critics wrong.

I recall it was on balance and hadn't written him off. Not that he's 'back' now really. It's an ongoing moveable feast for every fan.

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:16 pm

Everyone seemed to be "on their game" today. No weak links. Committed through to the end and some good football on display.

Particularly pleasing to see Morris looking confident and an attacking threat. Never let up. Cracking goal too.

Bakayoko posed a real physicality working hard upfront. Good to see Flo back and with Messi, Morris and Ismail, we had a lot of drive from midfield supplemented by Leahy making good forward runs.

Defence looked good and dealt with what limited threat Scunny offered. Kinsella made two excellent decisive tackles in the first half too, worthy of a mention.

More please. :D

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:32 pm

Bakayoko was very, very good today - worked his bollocks off and was a real nuisance to their centre halves. Shame about the lack of end product though.

The General
UTS Regular

Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:40 pm

What an impressive display everyone played well and there were several outstanding performances.Fans were supportive and it was an absolute pleasure to be there on a bitterly cold day.

Harry
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:49 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:I recall it was on balance and hadn't written him off. Not that he's 'back' now really. It's an ongoing moveable feast for every fan.

Fair enough, you were not certain, but beginning to waver. This is what you wrote on 18th November.

SaigonSaddler wrote:I am now minded, after giving the manager a fair chance, to conclude that another manager may be in better position to take the club forward.

This based on the disappointing recent FA cup exit, a defeat against relegation candidates and now rivals and poor recent home form.

This was my reply:
Harry wrote:I have never been a Whitney fan. He should not have been given the job on a permanent basis, and I will not be sad when he is sacked.

However I think that Saigon is wrong to change his mind because of the defeats against Newport and Gillingham. In fact I would say that although the results in those games were bitterly disappointing, the way that we played in them has given me cause for hope that at last Whitney is showing signs of becoming a better manager.

I would say that the quality of our play against Gillingham was the best I have seen all season. Although we did not win that game I think if we continue to try to play better football then the results will come.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:02 pm

A great team performance,Wilson MOM by a country mile he did everything right.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:03 pm

Harry wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:I recall it was on balance and hadn't written him off. Not that he's 'back' now really. It's an ongoing moveable feast for every fan.

Fair enough, you were not certain, but beginning to waver. This is what you wrote on 18th November.

SaigonSaddler wrote:I am now minded, after giving the manager a fair chance, to conclude that another manager may be in better position to take the club forward.

This based on the disappointing recent FA cup exit, a defeat against relegation candidates and now rivals and poor recent home form.

This was my reply:
Harry wrote:I have never been a Whitney fan. He should not have been given the job on a permanent basis, and I will not be sad when he is sacked.

However I think that Saigon is wrong to change his mind because of the defeats against Newport and Gillingham. In fact I would say that although the results in those games were bitterly disappointing, the way that we played in them has given me cause for hope that at last Whitney is showing signs of becoming a better manager.

I would say that the quality of our play against Gillingham was the best I have seen all season. Although we did not win that game I think if we continue to try to play better football then the results will come.

:?:

I'm still at some point in the waiver zone, just like every other fan at any time. I've been outspoken on here regarding the utterly outrageous accusations directed at Whitney. I've very rarely stated whether I'm 'in support' of him or not. I think he has limitations and will eventually get sacked, like most managers. He's had three positive results, but these mean as much as any run of poor results that some people were obsessing over.

I'm pleased that you've been 'proven right', or whatever, but there's still more than half of the season left and plenty of time for either of us, or anyone else for that matter, to change their minds.

Whitters
Site Addict

Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:05 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:No, missed by the goal machine..................what a waste of space that lad is, get him shipped out on loan, he's a millstone around our neck!! prat!

Tee bleeding hee!
Sorry mate for bringing this up but hows the egg on your face tasting?

For those that missed it, our ancient friend thought it was Baka who missed the penalty....

giglee

Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:07 pm

Good performance from the sounds of it, can't wait to get back home and see the super saddlers!

Also to all the dunderheads who keep creating and peddling false rumours of player x storming off on social media (after back-to-back wins!), please get a life. Sincerely everyone else.

saddlertd
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:12 pm

Harry wrote:A few weeks ago, after defeats to Newport and Gillingham, Saigon posted that he had reluctantly lost faith in Whitney.

I hope you are right, Harry. I am not a “ Whitney out” merchant - I don’t want the club to lose games just so we can sack Whitney, just as I didn’t want Deano sacked when we didn’t win for 16 games and lost to Lincoln in the FA Cup. I am not a “happy clapper” either - I think we will always struggle given the current financial set up at the club: over a grand a day going out of the club even before a ball is kicked. But, 3 league wins on the bounce is a good achievement, especially given our recent record against Scunthorpe. Let’s hope we can keep it going. UTS.

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:34 pm

Whitters wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:No, missed by the goal machine..................what a waste of space that lad is, get him shipped out on loan, he's a millstone around our neck!! prat!

Tee bleeding hee!
Sorry mate for bringing this up but hows the egg on your face tasting?

For those that missed it, our ancient friend thought it was Baka who missed the penalty....

Says it all really.

Great result. 11th in the league with a very strong top ten ahead of us. We're genuinely having a decent season and most of the fans need to get a bloody grip.

Sound job Jon - push on mate!!

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:35 pm

decent performance today. manager got tactics spot on so full praise to him .
win the next match at a very out of form northampton and get a draw away at Rochdale then I may start sitting up and take notice

Whitters
Site Addict

Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:43 pm

saddlertd wrote: I am not a “happy clapper” either - I think we will always struggle given the current financial set up at the club: over a grand a day going out of the club even before a ball is kicked. .

I agree, it's a yoke around the neck, putting us behind other clubs at the start of each season before a ball is kicked.
Maybe the mods could start a "sticky" so that we can add details of other clubs' grounds as they become apparent.
For instance, Hull City and Colchester United are examples – they have the benefit of stadiums paid for by their respective local councils.
We are constantly behind the 8 ball and it's a miracle we aren't in the bottom division.

ShyTallKnight
Glitterati

Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:04 pm

Always said that JW is a genius

Tom_1992
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:10 pm

That was our best all-round performance of the season so far.

Great link-up between Oztumer and Bakayoko, all the back four played well and we actually played the better football. Scunthorpe were limited, but I think we deserve a lot of credit for limiting a side third in the league to no notable opportunities.

Should be looking for another three points at Northampton on Saturday!

Mike Vale
UTS Regular

Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:29 pm

We played very well today and deserved to win against a decent team. Everyone gave it their all and I thought young Bakayoko was excellent and deserved the standing ovation when subbed .We showed some quality today. We are not brilliant but nor are we as bad as some suggest . I know there is a chicken and egg element to this but hopefully the fans/supporters will now get behind the team. 3 league wins on the bounce demonstrates that we are far from a bad side. Confidence is returning and that is important. Let’s play our part and get behind our team. What is the definition of “happy clapper “ and why is it a derogatory term ?

UTS Legend

Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:32 am

Channel 5:
"Some Walsall players have been singled out for criticism by a section of their support. The negative atmosphere was affecting the squad."

Penalty taker revealed.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jSJsDT ... p=drivesdk

PreviousNext
Return to 2017-18 Season