Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bury (H) EFL Trophy 2nd Dec, 12.30pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Walsallone
UTS Legend

Re: Bury (H) EFL Trophy 2nd Dec, 12.30pm

Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:39 pm

Well AM when you have supported the Saddlers as long as I have you have seen it all before. Every game is different though and who knows next week might surprise us all. In the past Walsall teams have beaten the odds and we may do so again.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:40 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
Walsallone wrote:Bury deserved to win..we had most of the possession and played some good football at times but we were poor again in the final third and other than an excellent move and finish by Ozzie didn't create too many clear cut chances .Disappointing but then we are getting used to saying that!
The brightest thing for me was the continued good form of Kory Roberts. Lets hope Edwards is fit for next week when we will need to be at our best to get anything out of the game.

You can be so bloomin positive sometimes, we have just lost, at home to the bottom club, we are now out of all cup competitions, and you are a bit disappointed! :?

Stay positive my friend, you represent a small minority of Walsall fans! :)

Hardly the end of days though.

Are there many fans that really cared about this competition?

Kevlar
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:07 pm

Quote ................." Good game for the neutrals"

I bet you could hardly move for 'em :D :D :D :D .

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:19 pm

Didn't go to the match, but losing today to the bottom club is as relevant to our league form as beating the league leaders was in the previous round.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:59 pm

At least we could rely on our tactical genius to get us knocked out of this pointless excuse of a tournament.

I like forward to hearing the latest excuses.

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:58 pm

The worst game ever under Whitney's tenure.

Played one up front at home in the cup and most of the time it was hoofed towards Oztumer.

The players didn't looked interested, no real passion or determination whatsoever. Apparently from 2 separate sources, I heard that the players had arranged a Christmas outing to the German market in Birmingham today, but had their plans were scuppered when this fixture was rearranged. It looked liked they went last night instead.

Kinsella & Flanagan were woefully, the rest bar Kory Roberts and Oztumer, were very poor.

I was close to the dugout and the shite that Whitney and Sharps came out with was unbelievable. Laughable.

Cutler was there, but sat on the back row of the stand most of the match, but was in contact with the bench (Not Whitney) via ear piece. When he occasionally ventured down to the bench, there was no dialogue between him and Whitney.

No Directors in the Directors Box and none seen in the Bonser Suite.

A truly dreadful performance, which made me feel physically ill afterwards, Enough is enough, time for me to pack in going.
Last edited by Asps on Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:36 pm

Look on the bright side we can now concentrate on relegation.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:40 pm

Asps wrote:The worst game ever under Whitney's tenure.

Played one up front at home in the cup and most of the time it was hoofed towards Oztumer.

The players didn't looked interested, no real passion or determination whatsoever. Apparently from 2 separate sources, I heard that the players had arranged a Christmas outing to the German market in Birmingham today, but had their plans were scuppered when this fixture was rearranged. It looked liked they went last night instead.

Kinsella & Flanagan were woefully, the rest bar Kory Robert and Oztumer, were very poor.

I was close to the dugout and the shite that Whitney and Sharps came out with was unbelievable. Laughable.

Cutler was there, but sat on the back row of the stand most of the match, but was in contact with the bench (Not Whitney) via ear piece. When he occasionally ventured down to the bench, there was no dialogue between him and Whitney.

A truly dreadful performance, which made me feel physically ill afterwards, Enough is enough, time for me to pack in going.
I watched it on Ifollow, and i couldn't believe how bad Flanagan was, in fact he got sarcastic cheers when subbed, Morris was poor as well, he could have pulled the trigger on at least 3 occasions but seemed to wait to be tackled?

m&m
Glitterati

Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:01 am

And a crap season just gets worse.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:32 am

m&m wrote:And a crap season just gets worse.

And, we can't even rely on the fact that 'thank goodness it will soon be over'. We have to watch a relegation battle (don't let the 'clappers' say otherwise, it's going to be fact) with players that obviously couldn't care a damn. It's going to be a long, hard, winter & spring. :(

We need a new 'head of operations' toot sweet, who might stave off relegation, possibly, but where this Messiah will find the players from, to do this, is a nightmare.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:26 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:

And, we can't even rely on the fact that 'thank goodness it will soon be over'. We have to watch a relegation battle (don't let the 'clappers' say otherwise, it's going to be fact) with players that obviously couldn't care a damn. It's going to be a long, hard, winter & spring. :(

We need a new 'head of operations' toot sweet, who might stave off relegation, possibly, but where this Messiah will find the players from, to do this, is a nightmare.

Many of your definitive prophecies have fallen well short of reality AM. Shouldn't we be in the conference by now?

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:24 pm

Wow are people actually pretending that a glorified friendly bares any significance whatsoever?

chunkster
Site Addict

Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:25 pm

El_Nombre wrote:Wow are people actually pretending that a glorified friendly bares any significance whatsoever?
Only because whitney was bragging in the express and dingle that he was going to take us back to Wembley, so he was really serious about winning the game, which makes it a bit more of a glorified friendly to him :|

PT
Site Addict

Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:25 pm

El_Nombre wrote:Wow are people actually pretending that a glorified friendly bares any significance whatsoever?

The fact is that our manager is on of those "people" as he placed quite a lot of significance on it and came out second best at home against a team currently bottom of our division.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:36 pm

PT wrote:

The fact is that our manager is on of those "people" as he placed quite a lot of significance on it and came out second best at home against a team currently bottom of our division.

Yep. I know. Everything Whitney says in the press is a disgrace. Always is.

He should have just said this game means nothing, our team cba, we don’t want any injuries or suspensions and people may as well not bother spending their money to come to the game because it’s essentially a friendly.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:40 pm

chunkster wrote:
Only because whitney was bragging in the express and dingle that he was going to take us back to Wembley, so he was really serious about winning the game, which makes it a bit more of a glorified friendly to him :|

“Bragging”

Actual quote: Realistic possibility.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:58 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
chunkster wrote:

“Bragging”

Ok so he lied then

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:30 pm

Can I ask what attendance came to observe this magnificent spectacle?
Was there a Star of Bethlehem to follow?
Or just JW's supermoon?

Gripper
Glitterati

Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:56 pm

Kinsella & Flanagan were woefully, the rest bar Kory Roberts and Oztumer, were very poor.

Did you hear about this German Market trip when you burst into the dressing room to shout at the players? We’re they arranging it whilst in the showers?

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:22 pm

chunkster wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
chunkster wrote:

“Bragging”

Ok so he lied then

Er, no? It was still a realistic possibility at the time of that interview...

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:44 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:

I have really tried hard to resist commenting on the game because I am as disappointed as anyone that we lost.

I was at the game and I can see people commenting on individual players but the fact is that Whitney has summed it up perfectly. We played some very good football, we made individual errors which is a problem when you field young players and we had trouble breaking down the opposition in the final third. Hopefully he will sort it out.

Some of our passing game was very good and reminded me of the days when Smith was failing but it looked as if there was a plan going slightly wrong. It turned out that when the team got it right we got the results. I don't know if JW is good enough but I am not sure that he's not and I have to consider the fact that he had players on the bench who I think would have been a better option to start but I don't know the facts so I cannot judge.

UTS Legend

Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:35 pm

leics_saddler wrote:Can I ask what attendance came to observe this magnificent spectacle?
Or just JW's supermoon?

The stands were a sea of red.

https://youtu.be/iWKINrComEs

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:51 am

Free Pass for that one... Onto the next. Don't we usually ship 4 against Scunny at home?

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:40 pm

Guest wrote:
leics_saddler wrote:Can I ask what attendance came to observe this magnificent spectacle?
Or just JW's supermoon?

Someone told me 1,060 :shock:

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:58 pm

leics_saddler wrote:
Guest wrote:
Or just JW's supermoon?

Someone told me 1,060 :shock:

Thats correct all in the stand under the camera,
My views on the game,defence was poor to allow Ajose his second goal a header from someone not much taller than Ronnie Corbett.Flanagan should be released ASAP and Morris has gone backwards in his developement.

chunkster
Site Addict

Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:22 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
chunkster wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
chunkster wrote:

“Bragging”

Ok so he lied then

Er, no? It was still a realistic possibility at the time of that interview...
i was being sarcastic :wink: knowing him as a tactician and the team he picked there is no way on gods earth Was it a realistic possibility

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:34 pm

Cheesebag wrote:Free Pass for that one... Onto the next. Don't we usually ship 4 against Scunny at home?

Yes, written in stone. 1-4 it will be, with an Ozzy consolation.

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:45 am

Gripper wrote:

Did you hear about this German Market trip when you burst into the dressing room to shout at the players? We’re they arranging it whilst in the showers?

Do you by any chance write for the Express & Star or the Evening Mail??

Previous
Return to 2017-18 Season