Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

AFC Wimbledon (A) 25th Nov, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

AFC Wimbledon (A) 25th Nov, 3pm

Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:18 pm

.... "but Bravo to this fearless gal!
Her charms she did assert
When she gave fans at Wimbledon
A shock beneath her skirt."

(ilene bauer, on Gussie Moran's lace-trimmed underwear in 1949)

We make the trip to Kingsmeadow (capacity 4,850) to face Neal Ardley's AFC Wimbledon, and we find ourselves in the unusual situation of being up against a team currently below us in League One. The Wombles are just above the relegation zone on 20 points, and their season so far has been mystifyingly inconsistent, with winning trips to Blackburn Rovers, Bristol Rovers and Northampton Town added to a home win against Rotherham United, yet managing to lose at home to Plymouth Argyle and MK Dons (a game they must have been "up for"). There is a faint chance that we could get a clean sheet out of this one - the Wombles have the worst scoring record in League One, having only scored 14 goals in their 19 matches - their defence, however, doesn't leak as much as ours no doubt thanks to the efforts of their on-loan keeper George Long (Sheffield United). AFC Wimbledon's current League One form:

17 Oct Rotherham United (H) Won 3-1
21 Oct Plymouth Argyle (H) Lost 0-1
28 Oct Charlton Athletic (A) Lost 1-0
12 Nov Peterborough United (H) Drew 2-2
18 Nov Bristol Rovers (A) Won 1-3
21 Nov Oldham Athletic (A) Drew 0-0

After the surprising demolition of Fleetwood Town in mid-week, we are presented with the regular poser of "What will Jon Whitney produce for this one?" - and, of course, the answer (as usual) is :? accompanied by a shrug of the shoulders....... the 4-2 result looks extremely convincing on paper, but it should be remembered that a Fleetwood collapse in the last few minutes undoubtedly contributed - until then I guess most supporters would have been quite satisfied with a 2-2 result, and we appeared to be hanging on by the skin of our teeth to achieve just that!

The 3 Roberts's's's will probably retain their places, with possibly the likes of Agyei and Ismail kept in reserve as impact substitutes. If James Wilson is match-fit there seems to be no reason why he shouldn't start - is it getting near to the time when Adam Chambers is "rested" despite being captain? We can only wait for the team announcement on Saturday afternoon, and then resume the debate of "How does Bakayoko merit being first in the queue?"

If the team persists with this "newly discovered" passing game there are grounds for optimism for a 3-point return, specially if the spirit seen at the conclusion of the Fleetwood game is still in place. I will go for a 0-2 result, with Bakayoko justifying his selection with one goal, and Joe Edwards also on the score-sheet.

UTS :D

Whitters
Site Addict

Re: AFC Wimbledon (A) 25th Nov, 3pm

Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:46 pm

"a shock beneath the skirt" - why did I immediately think of Saigon and Ladyboys?

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:14 pm

We need to follow up our win against Fleetwood with another at Wimbledon but will JW go with the same attacking team that played on Tuesday? I would and I think we would win so 2-1 to the Saddlers!!

chunkster
Site Addict

Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:17 pm

My nephew who was a saddler until he found villa :roll: has had a rather large bet on us winning :shock: so i will go with a 1-2 as long as we stick with the same team and formation as we did on tuesday :D

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:40 pm

chunkster wrote:My nephew who was a saddler until he found villa :roll: has had a rather large bet on us winning :shock: so i will go with a 1-2 as long as we stick with the same team and formation as we did on tuesday :D

Automatically disowned from the family till he comes to his senses. :mrgreen:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:55 am

Whitters wrote:"a shock beneath the skirt" - why did I immediately think of Saigon and Ladyboys?

:D Shocking!

chunkster
Site Addict

Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:16 pm

swampysaddler wrote:
chunkster wrote:My nephew who was a saddler until he found villa :roll: has had a rather large bet on us winning :shock: so i will go with a 1-2 as long as we stick with the same team and formation as we did on tuesday :D

Automatically disowned from the family till he comes to his senses. :mrgreen:
:lol: never to be seen again :lol:

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:20 pm

Lets be positive. 1-0. We will play tippy tappy pretty stuff all game but not find the goal until big John Guthrie wades into the box off the last corner of the game and bullets a header top corner.

coop63
Glitterati

Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:22 pm

El_Nombre wrote:Lets be positive. 1-0. We will play tippy tappy pretty stuff all game but not find the goal until big John Guthrie wades into the box off the last corner of the game and bullets a header top corner.

So you mean 0-1. Unless Guthrie puts one in the wrong net but then that’s not positive!

coop63
Glitterati

Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:23 pm

A rush of blood has struck me - I’ll go for a 1-1 bore draw!

UTS

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:59 pm

coop63 wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:Lets be positive. 1-0. We will play tippy tappy pretty stuff all game but not find the goal until big John Guthrie wades into the box off the last corner of the game and bullets a header top corner.

So you mean 0-1. Unless Guthrie puts one in the wrong net but then that’s not positive!

Walsall always comes first ;) haha

saddlerphil
UTS Veteran

Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:43 pm

Tight game this. I was expecting a 0-0 draw, with Danny Naisbitt in their goal, but i'll go for.......

AFC WImbledon 2-2 Walsall

AFC WImbledon

Peter Sweeney
Rhys Weston

Walsall

Robin Shroot
Dan Agyei

ATT: 3934 (245 Saddlas)

79walsall
UTS Regular

Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:19 pm

match abandoned due to fighting behind the away dugout when whits and cutler take on the away fans :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:05 pm

Have today watched that fabulous episode of 'Ripping Yarns', where the super team of the past, now pensioners, come out of retirement to play for Barnstonworth in the 1932 Yorkshire Senior Cup. The existing team have recently been beaten 8 bloody 1 by Brighouse Reserves, who's centre forward wears glasses 'during the match'! Currently unable to play the match because there are not enough shorts to go round, their manager (on a free transfer from Walsall) has been arrested for public indecency. They have philanthropist Chairman with a liking for scrap metal, (funny that, were the Harrison family not scrap merchants?) who is about to turn their ground into a scrap yard. But the pensioners save the day and the team with an 8-1 victory!
It has always been believed that the episode was loosely based on Walsall, (as we were always the nub of music hall comedians) though this has never been confirmed.

Sort of reminds all Walsall supporters that we are, as a team, drowning in a sea of very local, much bigger, and richer clubs.

On to the game, though they are below us, they have turned in some amazing results recently despite their League position, and we have a mini revival of sorts. So Whitney reverts to type, Bakayoko up front again, back to hoofball, and a 1-1 draw being the result.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:41 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:They have philanthropist Chairman with a liking for scrap metal, (funny that, were the Harrison family not scrap merchants?)

No , you're getting confused with Ken Wheldon who was a scrap metal dealer. His yard was located in The Ditch, off Ablewell Street.

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:27 pm

Go for a sneaky win, one nil or two one. Bit worried that fans will have another Flanagan tantrum and with them being so close to the dugout we'll have some form of confrontation.
Come on you saddlers.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:11 pm

Soton Saddler wrote:Go for a sneaky win, one nil or two one. Bit worried that fans will have another Flanagan tantrum and with them being so close to the dugout we'll have some form of confrontation.
Come on you saddlers.

Wasn't there some issues with the physio and fans after the game down there last season. And that was when the team were on their 10 match unbeaten run or whatever it was. :roll:

Anyway think it will be 1-1. Wombles don't score many goals but would be very surprised if Walsall keep a clean sheet as they'll have to defend plenty of corners and high crosses and that's never a good watch is it.

Hopefully the right strikers will be selected but I've been waiting for that since September! :lol:

Gripper
Glitterati

Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:53 am

Try and sneak a 1-0.

Scott Powell to use the £200 he’s saved after boycotting the last 4 home games to buy a massive tele in the Black Friday sales to watch Gillette Soccer Saturday on.

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:04 am

My first trip there today. Feel illogically optimistic. 2.1 win Morris & Oztumer

PT
Site Addict

Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:42 am

hullsaddler wrote:My first trip there today. Feel illogically optimistic. 2.1 win Morris & Oztumer

I always feel illogically optimistic.

One of only a couple of grounds in this league I haven't been to, but won't be chalking it off today. I just didn't fancy going all that way to listen to a dozen people abuse our own bench at close quarters from the first minute. I get the Whitney out stuff, of course I do. I agree with the sentiment entirely. But gratuitous abuse against Walsall FC staff - nah - not for me.

So it is Marine vs FC United for me today in the FA Trophy with a keen eye on our 1-1 draw against the real Dons.

Mike Vale
UTS Regular

Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:10 am

I too have to miss this one. Not trying to show off or anything but I have an invite into the directors box at Anfield ! Think there will be the same result in both games 1-2 to the away team. UTS.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:03 pm

Pedagogue wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:They have philanthropist Chairman with a liking for scrap metal, (funny that, were the Harrison family not scrap merchants?)

No , you're getting confused with Ken Wheldon who was a scrap metal dealer. His yard was located in The Ditch, off Ablewell Street.

Sorry, quite correct, the memory tends to play tricks on us old folk at times! It WAS Ken 'switch that light off' Wheldon I was thinking of!

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:51 pm

Gripper wrote:Try and sneak a 1-0.

Scott Powell to use the £200 he’s saved after boycotting the last 4 home games to buy a massive tele in the Black Friday sales to watch Gillette Soccer Saturday on.

Stalker alert. :lol:

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:04 pm

Same team...same subs from Tuesday.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:08 pm

Walsallone wrote:Same team...same subs from Tuesday.

About time he gave that kid Bakayoko a chance! :mrgreen:

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:10 pm

What's the issue with Wilson? He hasn't featured since October.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:20 pm

I think he has only missed 2 games....took a knock in training before the Gillingham match. Edwards also has minor injury apparently.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:37 pm

Walsallone wrote:I think he has only missed 2 games....took a knock in training before the Gillingham match. Edwards also has minor injury apparently.

We will miss these two away from home. Wilson as a brick wall and Edwards attacking flair.

This is a particularly hard game to predict, but glad it's not Wiggin/Bradford/Scunny!

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:57 pm

Reports of a large away following :shock:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:05 pm

Very early goal at the Keepmoat ... Doncaster Rovers 0 M K Dons 1

Walsall offside .... but Jackson isn't playing :?

Next
Return to 2017-18 Season