Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

AFC Wimbledon (A) 25th Nov, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Re: AFC Wimbledon (A) 25th Nov, 3pm

Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:16 pm

Mazza01 wrote:Whitney will never win over the supporters it's all gone a little far now.

Unfortunately the club stil need to get rid.

What will be the expectation of the rest of the season then?

Even with his limitations Whitney is going to deliver comfortable mid table for the second season running.

Just sacking him and then the next manager comes in and wins 1 game in 4-5 games and I dunno things will go round in circles.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:32 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:
Mazza01 wrote:Whitney will never win over the supporters it's all gone a little far now.

Unfortunately the club stil need to get rid.

What will be the expectation of the rest of the season then?

Even with his limitations Whitney is going to deliver comfortable mid table for the second season running.

Just sacking him and then the next manager comes in and wins 1 game in 4-5 games and I dunno things will go round in circles.

I don't disagree.. I am merely pointing out that the relationship will jot change mid table or not.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:42 pm

TOM1992....people are entitled to express opinions about players, managers ,the club or anything they want. That is not the issue. The issue is when and how those opinions should be expressed. I am doubtful about JW (I always have been) but whilst he is our Manager I would not think of abusing him or the players during a game. They are my team, good or bad and I do my best to give them support during matches. The treatment given to him over the substitution last Tuesday and from what JONNYOWEN has said yesterday is plain daft. OPTIMISTIC has also pointed out the reputational damage which it is causing so I think it is time everyone calmed down and recognise we doing OK with a young and inexperienced team who could develop into a very good team if we are patient.

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:54 pm

Guest wrote:
JonnyOwen wrote:A very good hardworking team performance today from all the lads, and I've got to give credit to Jon Whitney too. We defended well for large parts of the game with Kory Roberts and Jon Guthrie winning everything, both were fantastic. Full backs were fairly steady with Chambers doing his usual best of sweeping up in midfield. Both Oztumer, Morris, Baka and Tyler ran their absolute bollocks off but were fairly ineffective on the ball, especially second half. But we pressed, defended as a unit and got ourselves two goals ahead by a fantastic trademark Ozzy thunderbolt and a lovely bit of one and one skill, pace and delivery from Ismail, who has had a fantastic few games now, for Bakayoko's goal. That was the kind of goal that Bakayoko doesn't do enough of, the dirty bit of harrying and muscling defenders but he read it and scored to fair play to him. Technically we weren't at it, but the stereotypical Whitney "passion" crap was actually surprisingly fully there and it got us over the line.

Also i've got to say, and I hate to criticise our own fans, especially since I have also have many criticisms for Whitney recently - but fudge me is it getting boring. Chanting Whitney out before a match, during a match and even when we've won a match. Then booing and heckling our own players, annoyingly shouting "Jon" for 45 minutes to annoy Whitney and make their mates laugh, shouting abuse at Sharps, and then going on twitter and sending angry messages to our own players even after a win... It's embarrassing to be associated with certain fans at this point, it's hard to wonder why players and staff leave so hastily when they're subjected to that. I have no issue with wanting Whitney out, I still want him out too, but give him cack when we're losing and playing cack. Not before a match and definitely not during a match when we're not losing. It doesn't help OUR players perform and do well for OUR club. It also breaks the player/fan bond that makes football feels so much more personal and special, and having a group of fans booing them, shouting crap at them, or sending them shite on Twitter feels like it is ruining that.

I'm still Whitney out but that was a solid win, and credit to him and the players for that.

Good post, JonnyOwen.

Totally agree also.

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:59 pm

swampysaddler wrote:
Walsallone wrote:Cutler has a bug ....hasn't been to the last 2 home games as well. He will be back next week hopefully.

That must be one hell of a bug.
Normal people are over a bug within days, a week tops.
Missed at least 3 games now.
Or I am I just reading more into it than I should.

I don't think you are. More to it than a bug.

Do we really need him in any case, when we have Whitney & Sharps?

Waste of a wage if you ask me.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:39 pm

Who'd train the keepers then?

Hope there's nothing in the rumour. Cutler has done excellent work with R O'D and Etheridge. Shame both left on frees but that's the downside of taking punts on players and giving them short deals.

Would back him to make a decent keeper of Liam Roberts, Gillespie is just average so not much you can do with him.

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:41 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:Who'd train the keepers then?

Hope there's nothing in the rumour. Cutler has done excellent work with R O'D and Etheridge. Shame both left on frees but that's the downside of taking punts on players and giving them short deals.

Would back him to make a decent keeper of Liam Roberts, Gillespie is just average so not much you can do with him.

The same person that is training them whilst he gets over "his bug".

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:22 pm

swampysaddler wrote:

Yep the youth team goal keeping coach.

Do we have a winger coach, full back coach, striker coach?

Waste of a wage, get rid.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:51 pm

He's been a good servant to the club over last 4-5 years and has trained up one championship standard keeper who could well be playing in the premier league next season. What is it with wanting to ditch good club servants all of a sudden?!

If anything I'd say Sharps would be the more vulnerable of the two, hardly a clean sheet in sight this season and if Whitney wants a reference John Ward is far more qualified.

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:07 am

SoccerHQ wrote:He's been a good servant to the club over last 4-5 years and has trained up one championship standard keeper who could well be playing in the premier league next season. What is it with wanting to ditch good club servants all of a sudden?!

If anything I'd say Sharps would be the more vulnerable of the two, hardly a clean sheet in sight this season and if Whitney wants a reference John Ward is far more qualified.

Asps judgement may possibly be slightly clouded by Cutler putting the frighteners on him at Newport.

UTS Legend

Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:02 am

moaning saddler wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:He's been a good servant to the club over last 4-5 years and has trained up one championship standard keeper who could well be playing in the premier league next season. What is it with wanting to ditch good club servants all of a sudden?!

Asps judgement may possibly be slightly clouded by Cutler putting the frighteners on him at Newport.

:mrgreen:

WSTFC
UTS Regular

Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:30 am

philthesaddler wrote: As for Kieron Roberts, I think he’s a talented lad, said it before, he reads the game well, but needs someone next to him, someone experienced, someone level headed, like erm, I dunno, James O’Connor?

I’ll feel free to judge the manager because I genuinely think he’s hampering the progress of the aforementioned 3 through his total lack of organisation

Tell me more about this Kieron Roberts then Phil? Being the expert, I'm not sure I've ever heard of him playing for us

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:48 am

WSTFC wrote:
philthesaddler wrote: As for Kieron Roberts, I think he’s a talented lad, said it before, he reads the game well, but needs someone next to him, someone experienced, someone level headed, like erm, I dunno, James O’Connor?

I’ll feel free to judge the manager because I genuinely think he’s hampering the progress of the aforementioned 3 through his total lack of organisation

Tell me more about this Kieron Roberts then Phil? Being the expert, I'm not sure I've ever heard of him playing for us

I think Phil was getting him confused with Kory Morris...... :mrgreen:

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:55 am

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
WSTFC wrote:

I think Phil was getting him confused with Kory Morris...... :mrgreen:

:mrgreen: I did think of highlighting that, but didn't want to embarrass Phil any further :mrgreen:

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:56 am

Guest wrote:
moaning saddler wrote:

:mrgreen:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

scott_powell
Site Addict

Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:03 am

Moulded two very good keepers over the past 4 years and has been touted as one of the best goalkeeping coaches outside the top flight. Cutler is a very good goalkeeping coach and we are lucky to have him.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:05 am

Asps wrote:
swampysaddler wrote:

What a ridiculous argument. Virtually every team has a goal keeping coach. We are not just "setting a trend". Mainly because the techniques coached to goalkeepers are completely different to anybody else throughout the rest of the team.

chunkster
Site Addict

Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:22 am

JonnyOwen wrote:A very good hardworking team performance today from all the lads, and I've got to give credit to Jon Whitney too. We defended well for large parts of the game with Kory Roberts and Jon Guthrie winning everything, both were fantastic. Full backs were fairly steady with Chambers doing his usual best of sweeping up in midfield. Both Oztumer, Morris, Baka and Tyler ran their absolute bollocks off but were fairly ineffective on the ball, especially second half. But we pressed, defended as a unit and got ourselves two goals ahead by a fantastic trademark Ozzy thunderbolt and a lovely bit of one and one skill, pace and delivery from Ismail, who has had a fantastic few games now, for Bakayoko's goal. That was the kind of goal that Bakayoko doesn't do enough of, the dirty bit of harrying and muscling defenders but he read it and scored to fair play to him. Technically we weren't at it, but the stereotypical Whitney "passion" crap was actually surprisingly fully there and it got us over the line.

Also i've got to say, and I hate to criticise our own fans, especially since I have also have many criticisms for Whitney recently - but fudge me is it getting boring. Chanting Whitney out before a match, during a match and even when we've won a match. Then booing and heckling our own players, annoyingly shouting "Jon" for 45 minutes to annoy Whitney and make their mates laugh, shouting abuse at Sharps, and then going on twitter and sending angry messages to our own players even after a win... It's embarrassing to be associated with certain fans at this point, it's hard to wonder why players and staff leave so hastily when they're subjected to that. I have no issue with wanting Whitney out, I still want him out too, but give him cack when we're losing and playing cack. Not before a match and definitely not during a match when we're not losing. It doesn't help OUR players perform and do well for OUR club. It also breaks the player/fan bond that makes football feels so much more personal and special, and having a group of fans booing them, shouting crap at them, or sending them shite on Twitter feels like it is ruining that.

I'm still Whitney out but that was a solid win, and credit to him and the players for that.
Some of our fans are utterly moronic cretinous amoebas, sometimes I don't think they are fans at all ? And just come to get in on the act of "let's berate the manager" day out :roll: I sometimes cringe at how cruel people can be, takes me back to Blackpool away and dog face having to walk over the pitch in front of us singing his name, then as he waved the fans booed him, I just wished the floor had opened up and swallowed me. But unless other fans start taking acception to the negativity before and during the game then it will never stop :|

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:27 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
Asps wrote:
swampysaddler wrote:

What a ridiculous argument. Virtually every team has a goal keeping coach. We are not just "setting a trend". Mainly because the techniques coached to goalkeepers are completely different to anybody else throughout the rest of the team.

Oh yes, just think of what a great keeper James Walker could have been without Milk Churns coaching him....

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:49 am

Asps wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
Asps wrote:
swampysaddler wrote:

Oh yes, just think of what a great keeper James Walker could have been without Milk Churns coaching him....

I ... have no idea what your point is here? That Mick Kearns had no impact on Jim Walker's successful (to use a massive understatement) spell as our goalkeeper and therefore Cutler is useless too for some reason? Or that Kearns and Cutler actually hindered their goalkeepers development? Or that Goalkeeping coaches, as I say that are used by every professional club, are all useless?

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:17 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
Asps wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
Asps wrote:
swampysaddler wrote:size=150]Who'd train the keepers then?[/size]

I ... have no idea what your point is here? That Mick Kearns had no impact on Jim Walker's successful (to use a massive understatement) spell as our goalkeeper and therefore Cutler is useless too for some reason? Or that Kearns and Cutler actually hindered their goalkeepers development? Or that Goalkeeping coaches, as I say that are used by every professional club, are all useless?

You've never heard of irony? ( Not that little known goalkeeping coach from Scunthorpe?? :mrgreen:)

Previous
Return to 2017-18 Season