Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Fleetwood Town (H) Tue 21st Nov, 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Re: Fleetwood Town (H) Tue 21st Nov, 7.45pm

Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:00 am

So what actually happened is that JW took Zeli off as he had tight hamstrings and brought Flanagan on to Boos, chants of 'Whitney out' and 'You don't know what you're doing'

Flanagan then put a long cross ball from the halfway line and got an assist for the Roberts goal and it was Flanagan who was running in on goal in case the keeper spilled the ball.

I think he did know what he was doing and as fans we don't always have all the facts when watching a game.

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:01 am

Whitters wrote:
saddlertd wrote:
coop63 wrote:
saddlersjse wrote:Great that we won. But for the long term success of this football club, I'm still going to be in the Whitney out camp. Sorry.

Look forward to hearing the reports from those who went.

My feelings exactly..... chose not to go tonight and in some respects I regret it but on the other hand I see it as my protest against our completely inept board....

Personally, I’m really pleased for John Whitney and I hope we go on a run now. If he was a twerp then I’d be happy to see him gone, but we stuck with Deano when we failed to win for 16 games and lost to Lincoln in the FA Cup. I’m glad his substitutions paid off and he had a bit of luck for a change. I’d give him till at least January and then assess whether he can take us forward. We need to get behind the team and try to end the hysteria. I’m fed up of feeling negative about the club, I want to enjoy watching the Saddlers again. UTS

I'm sick of the negative stuff too.
Some of it is infantile and to an extent it's the folk who struggle to think for themselves responding to peer pressure. - "it's cool to be negative".

Logic!!! Praise the lord... actual logical thinking.
Completely agree - the hysteria around getting Whitney out is maddening!!

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:07 am

Ancient Moaner wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:Play your best strikers and they score goals.

It really isn't rocket science.

However, to a certain Mr.Motivator it IS. You keep on playing your son (sorry that great lad with prospects) up front, who continually fails to shine, whilst THE combo that we have ALL been desperate to see up there scoring (cus that's what they do) sits on the bench.

However, great win tonight, and FOUR goals! (only downside is that the mans spurious antics will continue to confound us all on a weekly basis) AND we have pulled away from the drop zone, just a bit. Let's hope this was not yet another one off, job saving 'Doncaster' result.

End of the day it's a loan combination though. I think it's right to give Bakayoko the game time - even sometimes when he might not be the best option. That lad needs to find form and the rest will come.

Frustrating sure but you can kind of see why Whitney does it.

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:59 am

Pedagogue wrote:
Cowshed wrote:Ismail was injured

I don't think so. There was no sign of injury during the game and he ran off the pitch quite freely. Mark Czuczman did "ice" him when he came off but then he does that to all players who come off as part of their "cool down" régime.

Of course let's not let facts get in the way of a good story :roll:

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:02 am

chunkster wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:Walsall substitution, 64 minutes ..........
And the crown are not happy about it, you can hear the "we want whitney out" songs

So we had some royalty in the tile choice .

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:36 am

So Ismail was taken off to avoid a hammy perhaps all those who used the substitution to chant Whitney out and boo Flanagan should look at themselves. I was baffled at the time but didn't feel the need to shout and bawl at the Manager. Flanagan did well after his first two touches were booed!!!(idiotically) and played some good passes.
Last night could be a turning point...I hope so but we need to build on those last two minutes and win again Saturday.
All the goals were quality last night and think SWAMPY 's comments above do not do us justice. Great build up play for the first(no hoofball there) and a well worked move for the second. We have all been asking for that type of football and when it is provided we should celebrate :D

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:04 am

2 almost last minute goals saves the clueless one again. I was confident before the game that we would win , Law of averages suggested so.

The attendance was very worrying and the club need to address it and fast.

Whitney out!

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:12 am

A rather churlish remark MAZZA.....JW may not survive(we all know that) but not to celebrate a good win against a good team is rather daft if you are a supporter. Including the Shrewsbury game we have now played well in 3 matches with a very inexperienced team. Don't you think just a little praise would be right? Who knows if the players get confidence from their performances the narrative might change!

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:13 am

Mazza01 wrote:2 almost last minute goals saves the clueless one again. I was confident before the game that we would win , Law of averages suggested so.

Whitney out!

I knew he deserved no credit for making the subs that changed the game and fully deserving the 4 goals we scored...

Some people are so desperate to make out EVERYTHING Whitney does is wrong. And I don't even think he should be manager!

layzeedude
UTS Regular

Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:17 am

So, from those who went, were we playing a passing style again last night? Has Whitney finally had the epiphany we were all hoping for months ago? Did it look like the lads knew what the plan was?

It's a shame you've got to be militant Whitney Out or blind optimist and woe betide those who disagree. No need for the I told you so's from the Ins when we win and the Outs when we lose, and definitely no need for the personal insults and bickering.
TL;DR - Discussion good, infighting bad.

For the record, I'm currently still in the Out camp (1 swallow does not a summer make), but if reports start coming back from the Bescot that we're playing a brand of football that we can be proud of, and the lads start to look like they know what the plan is, I'm happy to eat my words. And I'm sure the same goes for most of the Whitney Out mob.

Fantastic win, great goals. Here's hoping it's not another false dawn.

LD

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:22 am

Walsallone wrote:A rather churlish remark MAZZA.....JW may not survive(we all know that) but not to celebrate a good win against a good team is rather daft if you are a supporter. Including the Shrewsbury game we have now played well in 3 matches with a very inexperienced team. Don't you think just a little praise would be right? Who knows if the players get confidence from their performances the narrative might change!

No .. Sorry I will not praise Whitney . I am happy to leave that to you. :roll:

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:25 am

El_Nombre wrote:
Mazza01 wrote:2 almost last minute goals saves the clueless one again. I was confident before the game that we would win , Law of averages suggested so.

Whitney out!

I knew he deserved no credit for making the subs that changed the game and fully deserving the 4 goals we scored...

Some people are so desperate to make out EVERYTHING Whitney does is wrong. And I don't even think he should be manager!

What you going on about? who mentioned subs? :roll:

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:29 am

Mazza01 wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:

Whitney out!

I did. You are putting the win down to law of averages. I'm putting it down to what actually happened in the game.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:41 am

El_Nombre wrote:
Mazza01 wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:

Whitney out!

I did. You are putting the win down to law of averages. I'm putting it down to what actually happened in the game.

I am yes , we wont lose every game that's a fact (law of average). Whitney did not turn into a tactical genius because we beat the mighty Cod Army . What a time to be alive hey El_Nombre.

Wyrley Saddler 66
UTS Regular

Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:45 am

2 moments of class within 93 minutes of mediocrity.

The WFC midfield is shocking.

Chambers is the only recognized midfielder and he is too negative, even his free kicks go back to Roberts.

Edwards (right back) is missing, so he plays Morris (winger)?

Ozthumer is too deep

If Flanaghan is good enough, then he should start, as he is a midfielder.

Agyei and T Roberts will go in Jan, then the downfall will start

Is Wilson injured?

Sean Donnellan came as a CM / C Def , why not play him?

T Roberts or Baka on the left wing, why keep playing these people out of position?

Fleetwood had a missed opportunity just over and an easier chance put wide infront of goal, L Roberts should have had it.

It could have been different and although we won which is pleasing, the performance was not great.

JW is still tactically inept

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:47 am

Mazza01 wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
Mazza01 wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:

Whitney out!

I am yes , we wont lose every game that's a fact (law of average). Whitney did not turn into a tactical genius because we beat the mighty Cod Army . What a time to be alive hey El_Nombre.

Now it's my turn to ask who said that? There's a difference between saying somebody deserves credit, and that somebody is a tactical genius.

A deserved win being down to nothing more than law of averages is the most desperate attempt to be negative on a win I've ever heard.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:56 am

Wyrley Saddler 66 wrote:2 moments of class within 93 minutes of mediocrity.

Chambers is the only recognized midfielder and he is too negative, even his free kicks go back to Roberts.

Maybe he should just aimlessly hoof it up the field instead? People seem to like that tactic

Edwards right back? Hasn't played there all season and didn't really do it before he came here. And Morris played centrally?

Ozthumer is too deep

Where do you want him? Upfront with Baka and Roberts and Ismail?

That's not how a squad works. You have fringe players, hopefully Flanagan has improved his game because it wasn't up to scratch whenever I have seen him before

Extensions happen or possibly other loans?

Is Wilson injured?

Thought you didn't like loans? Because when we play him everybody moans Kory Roberts is just as good

T Roberts or Baka on the left wing, why keep playing these people out of position?

Where did T Roberts score from again?

Fleetwood had a missed opportunity just over and an easier chance put wide infront of goal, L Roberts should have had it.

It could have been different and although we won which is pleasing, the performance was not great.

So could literally every game of football. I fail to see what was so bad about this performance. Isn't "it could have been different" something everybody is sick of Whitney saying whenever we lose?

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:04 am

El_Nombre wrote:

Maybe he should just aimlessly hoof it up the field instead? People seem to like that tactic

Edwards right back? Hasn't played there all season and didn't really do it before he came here. And Morris played centrally?

Ozthumer is too deep

That's not how a squad works. You have fringe players, hopefully Flanagan has improved his game because it wasn't up to scratch whenever I have seen him before

Is Wilson injured?

Thought you didn't like loans? Because when we play him everybody moans Kory Roberts is just as good

So could literally every game of football. I fail to see what was so bad about this performance. Isn't "it could have been different" something everybody is sick of Whitney saying whenever we lose?

EL_Nombre the Football expert ... :lol:

I think you should take over.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:07 am

Mazza01 wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:

Ozthumer is too deep

Is Wilson injured?

EL_Nombre the Football expert ... :lol:

I think you should take over.

Care to actually discuss any of the points raised rather than randomly lolling at the end of a strange sentence and being "hilarious"?

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:49 am

This is getting ridiculous now...we played well last night against a good team and scored 4 good goals. I think that is great. Whether it prolongs JWs reign as Manager I don't care. I have posted elsewhere that he had until Christmas to sort things out well so far things are going in the right direction...to answer a query above hoof ball has largely gone and the players clearly like playing the system. That to me is good news and I just hope it continues. We have had too many changes in systems and personnel and if JW wishes to stay in his job he should stick to this way of playing. We should also remember this is a very young and inexperienced team so how about us all giving the lads our support instead of booing them when they come on the pitch as Flanagan was booed last night. The world has truly gone mad!!!

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:04 am

LAZYEEDUDE....I tried to answer your post in my last post but you do make another good point in that whether one believes JW should stay or go we should all discuss these matters sensibly without resorting to rancour. Despite last night I still think he has a lot to prove but performances have improved and the key to his survival is how we progress from now on....if we continue to improve he will have my full support..if we don't he won't simple as that.
My initial report on the game is I think accurate where I describe some excellent football and some dreadful defending but in no way could anyone who viewed the match fairly say it was 93 minutes of dross. As well as the goals there were shots from Leahy and Morris which brought excellent saves and we also got in a few good crosses which created half chances. Fleetwood had chances too...3 good saves from Roberts come to mind. A good match played in the right spirit which we won..... :D :D :D :D :D :D

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:07 am

Walsallone wrote:This is getting ridiculous now...we played well last night against a good team and scored 4 good goals. I think that is great. Whether it prolongs JWs reign as Manager I don't care. I have posted elsewhere that he had until Christmas to sort things out well so far things are going in the right direction...to answer a query above hoof ball has largely gone and the players clearly like playing the system. That to me is good news and I just hope it continues. We have had too many changes in systems and personnel and if JW wishes to stay in his job he should stick to this way of playing. We should also remember this is a very young and inexperienced team so how about us all giving the lads our support instead of booing them when they come on the pitch as Flanagan was booed last night. The world has truly gone mad!!!

Walsallone - Flanagan was not booed. The decision to take off an attacking player is what the fans were not happy with. No one and I mean no one booed Flanagan.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:18 am

Not true MAZZA...his first two passes which admittedly were not good resulted in boos....clearly heard by me and others!! Disgraceful behaviour from so called fans.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:19 am

79walsall wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:
Super Gabor wrote:Flanaghan on for arguably our best player, Ismail.

Greeted by boos and Whitney out chants.

Flanagan!!!!!, Christ what DOES Whitney see in this bloke?

Hes ginger ?

Yeah Mazza, nobody was negative about it just because it was Flanagan coming on.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:24 am

Walsallone wrote:So Ismail was taken off to avoid a hammy perhaps all those who used the substitution to chant Whitney out and boo Flanagan should look at themselves. I was baffled at the time but didn't feel the need to shout and bawl at the Manager. Flanagan did well after his first two touches were booed!!!(idiotically) and played some good passes.
Last night could be a turning point...I hope so but we need to build on those last two minutes and win again Saturday.
All the goals were quality last night and think SWAMPY 's comments above do not do us justice. Great build up play for the first(no hoofball there) and a well worked move for the second. We have all been asking for that type of football and when it is provided we should celebrate :D

Nobody boo'd Flanagan.

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:43 am

A much needed win and 3 points against a good Fleetwood side.
Everything has been covered by previous posts my only input is to say what a weird game football is. Fleetwood were a much better side than Gillingham and caused us more problems, I thought we played a lot worse than against Gills and yet won and scored 4 goals on the way.
Purely my own thoughts but think we deserved to win against Gills and overhaul did not deserve to beat Fleetwood a complete reversal of the games.
Glad to say we have gone back to playing on the ground instead of hoofball.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:55 am

Flanagan was very positive when he came on, played lots of direct low passes to get the ball into danger area. Plus he played the fantastic ball over the top to Tyler Roberts from which he scored his cross from. To be honest a deep ball playing midfielder I feel is what we have been missing since we didn't replace Dobson.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:57 am

I'm going to give Whitney credit on this one.

I said before kick off on Twitter that I actually thought the line up was a show of intent from Whitney. I seemed to be in the minority on that view but I was proved right. I wasn't at the game so I don't know the set up but what I saw a weak back four with two wingers, an attacking midfielder and two strikers starting. To me that attack is the intent we need to be showing now from the off. Credit to Whitney. Watching from afar the Ismail substitute sounded baffling but credit where it's due we won the game.

Whitney Out, but credit deserved.

On to Saturday. Another must win.

UTS Legend

Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:21 pm

L Roberts at fault for the first goal? He made a good save with his legs in these highlights. They also show a few more chances Fleetwood had. We scored four good goals. A pinpoint low cross for the first, well-worked free kick for the second, 'worldy' from T Roberts for the third, and a great, flowing move for the fourth.

Looked an enjoyable game of football. Isn't that what we were all crying out for? Not just JW's head on a platter? Mind you, he was possibly only two minutes away from the chopping block.

https://youtu.be/A8cQOiDXaeQ

machew
UTS Regular

Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:48 pm

I watched a decent game of football by two sides looking to win. I was baffled by the Izmail substitution as at that point in the game I felt that he and Ozzy were looking most likely to find the way to get our 3rd goal. I also felt that for the 15 to 20 minutes following that substitution we lost our way and Fleetwood looked the more likely team to go on and win the game.

The decisive substitution for me seemed to be the introduction of Agyei. From that point the momentum swung back to us and we scored the 2 goals.

I felt that all of our goals were quality in one way or another:
1. Nice move down the left to create space, accurate ball across the box creating the chance for Ozzy
2. Well worked free kick move, great finish
3. Worldy from the left wing
4. Great move from just inside our half, classy 1-2 to create the decisive chance

I thought Liam Roberts had a very good game in goal with some very good saves, especially the one on one in the first half. Being picky I wondered whether he might have palmed the ball away further for the first goal?

I really like Kory Roberts defensively but I felt he gave the ball away too often last night and needs to work in that aspect.

Great result, very good performance for most of the game, great goals.

Whether we're behind the manager or not I think that we should unite behind the team. The noise only picked up to chant against the Izmail substitution, which isn't really helping the team at all. In the first half I commented that I could hear all of the players on the pitch and the traffic on the motorway.

PreviousNext
Return to 2017-18 Season