Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Fleetwood Town (H) Tue 21st Nov, 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Fleetwood Town (H) Tue 21st Nov, 7.45pm

Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:59 am

"I fished in the sink for a cod,
And landed a whole dolphin pod;
The bath and the loo
were full of them too
but whales were too much for the rod."

(My overflowing bathroom - Jack Horne)

As our season lurches on in an apparently inexorable nosedive, we welcome Uwe Rosler's Fleetwood Town - the cod army of Lancashire. Having reached the heights of League One for the first time only 3 years ago they are enjoying a successful campaign, being one of a clutch of teams hovering around the play-off zone on 26 points. An interesting statistic is that they've actually conceded one more goal than we have (!!), so their elevated position has to be down to being able to score 6 more goals than we've managed - this is the key - we have to put the ball in the opposition's net, because having 70% of the possession and umpteen more shots doesn't necessarily bring the desired 3 points (is this something of which JW isn't aware?).

We will probably see an ex-Saddler in the form of Jordy Hiwula-Mayifuila who is on loan from Huddersfield Town, and their main striking threat is probably Devante Cole, the 6ft 1in son of Andy......... Fleetwood's current League One form:

17 Oct Scunthorpe United (A) Drew 1-1
21 Oct Shrewsbury Town (A) Lost 1-0
28 Oct Oxford United (H) Won 2-0
31 Oct Blackburn Rovers (A) Drew 2-2
11 Nov M K Dons (A) Lost 1-0
18 Nov Doncaster Rovers (H) Drew 0-0

So what can we expect from Jon Whitney, as the games grow ever more "crucial" ...... heaven only knows. It's safe to say that if he possessed any hair on his dome he would have been tearing it out in frustration at the performance in the Gillingham game. He is on record as saying that he "can't keep carrying the can for the players' errors", which, looking at the pantomime that gave Gillingham their winner on Saturday, seems a reasonable stance to take. BUT ... the players are HIS players, selected by HIM, and if certain players are prone to such basic mistakes as gifting the opposition a scuffed back-pass then they are evidently not up to the required standard. If ever there was a case for recommending "hoofball" that was it - a clearing thump which gives the opposition a throw-in (do our older members recall Harry Haddington?) is preferable to giving away a goal.

The constant switching of team formation can't have helped matters. It might be said that we've signed too many strikers on loan - it was certainly true that at the beginning of the season we were embarrassingly short in that department, but are we now overloaded to the extent that we can't find a settled formation?

Anyway - on to this game, and thoughts of its outcome .... well, based on current form you'd have to say that a draw would be something of an improvement following recent disappointments. As Fleetwood's defence is demonstrably more leaky than ours I will go for a 2-1 home win, raving optimist that I am - Bakayoko to defy his critics by scoring both of them. Fleetwood's goal will come from a Hiwula penalty (it's about time we gave another one away).

UTS :D

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Re: Fleetwood Town (H) Tue 21st Nov, 7.45pm

Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:06 am

100% guarantee that we win this game and Whitney saves his job for another week,

2-0 Saddlers

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:09 am

The cod army will embarrass us even further, with goals from Jordy & Cole in a 2-0 defeat.
Baky starts up front, Tyler on the bench as we miss chance after chance and slip deeper into the zone.
On the positive side it's set to be not that cold, so another 4K gate has Bonser wringing his hands and commenting "is there a problem?"

scott_powell
Site Addict

Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:28 am

We will win. Whitney's job safe until after Christmas. A couple of months of me not attending.

chunkster
Site Addict

Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:19 am

I intend to put as much enthusiasm into this game as Bonser and his cronies do for the club, take from that what you will :|

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:37 pm

Another game at FORTRESS BESCOT :lol: Another change of players , Another system of playing, Another defeat.

Ismail and Kory had good games against Gills so they can expect to be on bench, Bako to start with Tyler on bench because Whitney thinks he is not good enough.
Fearing the worse hoping for the best.

coop63
Glitterati

Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:50 pm

No doubt it'll be another desperate attempt to keep things unaltered for another few weeks - what a ridiculous state we have become!

Hope for the best but I fear Jordi will run riot and we'll have another pointless week.....

1-3 with around 3800 to witness it

saddlersjse
UTS Regular

Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:58 pm

Desperate 1-1 draw in front of 3,500 odd. Press comments:

Enough to save Whitney until Wimbledon when he gets dogs abuse from the away stand that's basically inside the dugout.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:11 pm

A 1-1 draw with Agyei scoring late to secure a point in front of 3,402 but the inexorable slide towards the relegation places continues....

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:29 pm

Back off my holidays and nibbling me nails somewhat - we're on a bad run and Whitney's lack of experience certainly showing. With Smith you always got the sense it'd turn but not feeling it this time (even with his lack of experience too!).

Can't call this at all - I'll say low margin win for us 2 - 1.

UTS!

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:42 pm

reedswood sadler wrote:Another game at FORTRESS BESCOT :lol: Another change of players , Another system of playing, Another defeat.

Ismail and Kory had good games against Gills so they can expect to be on bench, Bako to start with Tyler on bench because Whitney thinks he is not good enough.
Fearing the worse hoping for the best.

No other posts needed until the defeat kicks off tomorrow, you have covered the situation completely! :(

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:02 pm

saddlersjse wrote:Desperate 1-1 draw in front of 3,500 odd. Press comments:

Enough to save Whitney until Wimbledon when he gets dogs abuse from the away stand that's basically inside the dugout.

:lol:

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:03 pm

1-2 Fleetwood.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:33 pm

1-1 methinks.

Whitney to climb into a zorb and be kicked around the pitch by angry fans for 20 minutes after full time.

Whitters
Site Addict

Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:53 pm

Weirdly, the loss against Gillingham could be a turning point.
I'll go 2-0 to us.
Failing a win, he has to go to give a new bloke chance to assess the squad ahead of the forthcoming window.

Gripper
Glitterati

Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:16 pm

0-0.

Scott Powell to ask Whitney on Twitter to like his tweet if he thinks £50 is more than £49.

Reeco

Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:18 pm

2-2 Dan Vann impresses on his debut alongside Kory Roberts as Adam Chambers and 10 home grown players impress manager Jon Whitney as he continues to do the job his boss has told him to do. Bakayoko gives us an early lead. Substitutes Will Shorrock and Mitch Candlin combine for a late equaliser in front of 3202

chunkster
Site Addict

Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:36 pm

Reeco wrote:2-2 Dan Vann impresses on his debut alongside Kory Roberts as Adam Chambers and 10 home grown players impress manager Jon Whitney as he continues to do the job his boss has told him to do. Bakayoko gives us an early lead. Substitutes Will Shorrock and Mitch Candlin combine for a late equaliser in front of 3202
good post :mrgreen:

Cully
Site Addict

Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:41 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:1-1 methinks.

Whitney to climb into a zorb and be kicked around the pitch by angry fans for 20 minutes after full time.

I'm afraid that your prediction is wide of the mark, it will be a minimum of 4 - 0 to the Gurroles, half time entertainment will star Pedagogue grilling Whitney with ten minutes of verb conjugation and interflectional morphology and then five minutes of Exile and Manchester faxing each other with details of the latest filing systems and hole punches available pre Brexit at Staples Superstore in Berlin.
However, your final whistle prediction is amazingly accurate although you have omitted that he will first be interviewed by Scott Powell aka Martin Lewis on value for money top tips.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:36 pm

Cully wrote:It will be a minimum of 4 - 0 to the Gurroles, half time entertainment will star Pedagogue grilling Whitney with ten minutes of verb conjugation and interflectional morphology and then five minutes of Exile and Manchester faxing each other with details of the latest filing systems and hole punches available pre Brexit at Staples Superstore in Berlin.
However, your final whistle prediction is amazingly accurate although you have omitted that he will first be interviewed by Scott Powell aka Martin Lewis on value for money top tips.

That sounds much more entertaining than the tripe most people expect! :D

chunkster
Site Addict

Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:39 pm

Pedagogue wrote:
Cully wrote:It will be a minimum of 4 - 0 to the Gurroles, half time entertainment will star Pedagogue grilling Whitney with ten minutes of verb conjugation and interflectional morphology and then five minutes of Exile and Manchester faxing each other with details of the latest filing systems and hole punches available pre Brexit at Staples Superstore in Berlin.

I was thinking that :lol:

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:51 pm

chunkster wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:

I was thinking that :lol:

If watching me and many exchange faxes is more fun than the football, it's desperate, although I grant it's probably better than most half time entertainment spectacles offered up this season...

m&m
Glitterati

Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:56 am

Another home defeat as Whitney’s rudderless ship moves ever closer to the rocks.

A couple of observations of Witters latest ramblings in the E&S— We are not booing the young players John just you and please stop all of this talk of Flo.
Just admit he’s never going to be fit. Your flogging a dead horse!

Walsall_Casual
Glitterati

Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:59 pm

We want Whitney Out, we want Whitney Out...
Sack the Board, sack the Board...
Where's the money gone, where's the money gone...

Cully
Site Addict

Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:56 pm

Pedagogue wrote:

If only you had been my English teacher, just think what I could have acheived :shock:

Kevlar
UTS Veteran

Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:46 pm

Cully wrote:
If only you had been my English teacher, just think what I could have acheived :shock:

He might of teached you how to spell achieve .

( :D )

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:59 pm

Kevlar wrote:
Cully wrote:

He might of teached you how to spell achieve .

( :D )
Or taught :lol: :mrgreen:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:26 pm

Reeco wrote:2-2 Dan Vann impresses on his debut alongside Kory Roberts as Adam Chambers and 10 home grown players impress manager Jon Whitney as he continues to do the job his boss has told him to do. Bakayoko gives us an early lead. Substitutes Will Shorrock and Mitch Candlin combine for a late equaliser in front of 3202

How do you know Bakayoko will be playing? Have you got a crystal ball, or is it just instinct? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

79walsall
UTS Regular

Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:29 pm

what will whitneys bingo bring us tonight :)

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:39 pm

79walsall wrote:what will whitneys bingo bring us tonight :)
A retired caller i hope :lol:

Next
Return to 2017-18 Season