Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Fleetwood Town (H) Tue 21st Nov, 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Re: Fleetwood Town (H) Tue 21st Nov, 7.45pm

Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:58 pm

machew wrote:I watched a decent game of football by two sides looking to win. I was baffled by the Izmail substitution as at that point in the game I felt that he and Ozzy were looking most likely to find the way to get our 3rd goal. I also felt that for the 15 to 20 minutes following that substitution we lost our way and Fleetwood looked the more likely team to go on and win the game.

The decisive substitution for me seemed to be the introduction of Agyei. From that point the momentum swung back to us and we scored the 2 goals.

I felt that all of our goals were quality in one way or another:
1. Nice move down the left to create space, accurate ball across the box creating the chance for Ozzy
2. Well worked free kick move, great finish
3. Worldy from the left wing
4. Great move from just inside our half, classy 1-2 to create the decisive chance

I thought Liam Roberts had a very good game in goal with some very good saves, especially the one on one in the first half. Being picky I wondered whether he might have palmed the ball away further for the first goal?

I really like Kory Roberts defensively but I felt he gave the ball away too often last night and needs to work in that aspect.

Great result, very good performance for most of the game, great goals.

Whether we're behind the manager or not I think that we should unite behind the team. The noise only picked up to chant against the Izmail substitution, which isn't really helping the team at all. In the first half I commented that I could hear all of the players on the pitch and the traffic on the motorway.

Regarding L Roberts anything would have been better than what he did. it was a weak cross and it really should have been held but he patted it straight into the middle of the six yard box. He's been pretty strong though other than that so he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Gripper
Glitterati

Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:12 pm

scott_powell wrote:I'm going to give Whitney credit on this one.

I said before kick off on Twitter that I actually thought the line up was a show of intent from Whitney. I seemed to be in the minority on that view but I was proved right. I wasn't at the game so I don't know the set up but what I saw a weak back four with two wingers, an attacking midfielder and two strikers starting. To me that attack is the intent we need to be showing now from the off. Credit to Whitney. Watching from afar the Ismail substitute sounded baffling but credit where it's due we won the game.

Whitney Out, but credit deserved.

On to Saturday. Another must win.

Did you not go to the game?

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:20 pm

Gripper wrote:

I said before kick off on Twitter that I actually thought the line up was a show of intent from Whitney. I seemed to be in the minority on that view but I was proved right. I wasn't at the game so I don't know the set up but what I saw a weak back four with two wingers, an attacking midfielder and two strikers starting. To me that attack is the intent we need to be showing now from the off. Credit to Whitney. Watching from afar the Ismail substitute sounded baffling but credit where it's due we won the game.

Did you learn to read at school?

Gripper
Glitterati

Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:26 pm

scott_powell wrote:
Gripper wrote:

Chomp. You've mentioned your boycott so many times I'm starting to wonder whether or not it's true.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:54 pm

Gripper wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
Gripper wrote:

Chomp. You've mentioned your boycott so many times I'm starting to wonder whether or not it's true.

Well I had an opinion on the starting line up but couldn’t give a full assessment on the set up which I have stated. It’s to support my point of view. Move on.

UTS Legend

Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:32 am

https://youtu.be/_I9Fa7QPqKo

'Goal Cam' of the season. :D (So far.)

chunkster
Site Addict

Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:31 pm

Guest wrote:https://youtu.be/_I9Fa7QPqKo

Their keeper didn't look very happy :lol:

Whitters
Site Addict

Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:44 pm

chunkster wrote:

He seems to be blaming everyone else for his ineptitude.
Nice work Guest - interesting angle to see the goals from.

UTS Legend

Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:34 am

Whitters wrote:
chunkster wrote:

He seems to be blaming everyone else for his ineptitude.
Nice work Guest - interesting angle to see the goals from.

No credit to me. You can find more of these on the 'Walsall FC Official' YouTube site.

Previous
Return to 2017-18 Season