Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Fleetwood Town (H) Tue 21st Nov, 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
saddlersjse
UTS Regular

Re: Fleetwood Town (H) Tue 21st Nov, 7.45pm

Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:46 pm

Great that we won. But for the long term success of this football club, I'm still going to be in the Whitney out camp. Sorry.

Look forward to hearing the reports from those who went.

coop63
Glitterati

Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:52 pm

According to the bbc we’ve had 6 shots on target and scored 4 goals - compare that to Saturday!

Stupid game innit?

coop63
Glitterati

Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:54 pm

saddlersjse wrote:Great that we won. But for the long term success of this football club, I'm still going to be in the Whitney out camp. Sorry.

My feelings exactly..... chose not to go tonight and in some respects I regret it but on the other hand I see it as my protest against our completely inept board....

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:54 pm

JW is a lucky, lucky manager but chuffed with the win and 4 goals. UTS

coop63
Glitterati

Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:57 pm

BathSaddler wrote:JW is a lucky, lucky manager but chuffed with the win and 4 goals. UTS

I reckon he’ll need more than luck to keep his job medium to long term (I should know better than to say that though!)

saddlertd
UTS Veteran

Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:04 pm

El_Nombre wrote:Get in. That lad who didn’t deserve to be nominated for player of the month, is completely inconsistent, doesn’t contribute as much as he should, should be moved to the left or dropped all together and that we should get rid of in January.

I don’t think anyone has said we should get rid of Ozzie in January but if he’s going to in the summer for nothing then we may have to cash in on him or lose him for nothing. And he has been inconsistent this season, just as he was last season. And can you tell me where he’s playing in that formation? It’s not in the No. 10 role. I rate Ozzie a lot, but he can be inconsistent and picking him in the No. 10 role prevents us playing 2 upfront - that’s all I said.

Whitters
Site Addict

Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:10 pm

Soton Saddler wrote:4 - 2.

Wonder If the Saddler fans giving grief to Whitney for the subs have got a few apologies in them. Flanagan has played well by the sounds of it and we've scored twice since.
Gillingham result sounded harsh should be 6 from 6 points.

I'm not saying Whitney is the blooming messiah, but maybe he doesn't deserve as much stick as he's getting (why is it so volatile..).
The long and the short of it is with such low support it is perhaps time for him to go unfortunately.

If he keeps on winning then the crowd will change and people on here will be panicking on tying him down to a longer contract.
Funny old game innit.
Good win lads!!!!!

Oh, and is the internet delayed by 2 or 3 minutes in NZ?
You seem out of sync with your comments Exile.

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:10 pm

What's the betting Uncle Jeff sacks Whitney tomorrow morning after tonight's performance !!!

saddlersjse
UTS Regular

Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:15 pm

coop63 wrote:
saddlersjse wrote:Great that we won. But for the long term success of this football club, I'm still going to be in the Whitney out camp. Sorry.

My feelings exactly..... chose not to go tonight and in some respects I regret it but on the other hand I see it as my protest against our completely inept board....

I'd have been there tonight if I lived locally but I live in Manchester so I can only come to the weekend matches. But I don't miss any home games and I've seen enough in the last 12 months to know he's still not the man to move us forwards.

Results like this always seem to crop up at peak-Whitney Out times but the record is still there to see - as well as his ludicrous contradictory press comments that go round and round and back on himself, roulette-like team selections, relatively poor recruitment and general 'throw it at the wall and see what sticks' approach.
Half of me was in the Out camp at the end of that season with the Bradford away/Sheffield United away/Barnsley x 2 fiascos but I was just about willing to give him a season. Not three years. For the vast majority of 2017 we've been abject (not winning away for months, no clean sheets for ages etc) and without the three year deal there logically you'd have to think he'd been gone after the shoddy end to last season.

Fantastic servant to the club, but so was that bloke who was our groundskeeper for 25 years and he wasn't handed a three year deal as first team manager.

Great to win tonight.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:16 pm

saddlertd wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:Get in. That lad who didn’t deserve to be nominated for player of the month, is completely inconsistent, doesn’t contribute as much as he should, should be moved to the left or dropped all together and that we should get rid of in January.

I don’t think anyone has said we should get rid of Ozzie in January but if he’s going to in the summer for nothing then we may have to cash in on him or lose him for nothing. And he has been inconsistent this season, just as he was last season. And can you tell me where he’s playing in that formation? It’s not in the No. 10 role. I rate Ozzie a lot, but he can be inconsistent and picking him in the No. 10 role prevents us playing 2 upfront - that’s all I said.

I must have imagined it. Inconsistent. Averaging a goal every other game almost, in all competitions. I’d rather we got our use of him until he goes for free personally. Why do I care if Jeff Bonser Limited gets a fee?

Yeah you are right not good enough at all, should be every game he pulls us through rather than only the odd one.

The attacking midfielder role, where he’s played all season. Whether it was 2 up front or 1.
Last edited by El_Nombre on Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

saddlertd
UTS Veteran

Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:19 pm

coop63 wrote:

Personally, I’m really pleased for John Whitney and I hope we go on a run now. If he was a twerp then I’d be happy to see him gone, but we stuck with Deano when we failed to win for 16 games and lost to Lincoln in the FA Cup. I’m glad his substitutions paid off and he had a bit of luck for a change. I’d give him till at least January and then assess whether he can take us forward. We need to get behind the team and try to end the hysteria. I’m fed up of feeling negative about the club, I want to enjoy watching the Saddlers again. UTS

saddlertd
UTS Veteran

Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:22 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
saddlertd wrote:

I must have imagined it. Inconsistent. Averaging a goal every other game almost, in all competitions.

Yeah you are right not good enough at all, should be every game he pulls us through rather than only the odd one.

The attacking midfielder role, where he’s played all season. Whether it was 2 up front or 1.

Are you always right? Do you ever see another’s point of view? You come across as extremely arrogant and up your own orifice!

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:26 pm

saddlertd wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
saddlertd wrote:

I must have imagined it. Inconsistent. Averaging a goal every other game almost, in all competitions.

Are you always right? Do you ever see another’s point of view? You come across as extremely arrogant and up your own orifice!

Not always. But I am here.

Whitters
Site Addict

Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:39 pm

saddlertd wrote:
coop63 wrote:

Personally, I’m really pleased for John Whitney and I hope we go on a run now. If he was a twerp then I’d be happy to see him gone, but we stuck with Deano when we failed to win for 16 games and lost to Lincoln in the FA Cup. I’m glad his substitutions paid off and he had a bit of luck for a change. I’d give him till at least January and then assess whether he can take us forward. We need to get behind the team and try to end the hysteria. I’m fed up of feeling negative about the club, I want to enjoy watching the Saddlers again. UTS

I'm sick of the negative stuff too.
Some of it is infantile and to an extent it's the folk who struggle to think for themselves responding to peer pressure. - "it's cool to be negative".

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:43 pm

Phew...what a finish. We scored 4 good goals tonight...the last 2 being superb efforts so well done lads. Without Joe Edwards this was the most inexperienced team at this level we have put out for some time so food for thought. At times we played some excellent stuff interspersed with some real rubbish especially in defence but it made for an exciting game.
I posted recently that the games leading up to Christmas would decide our season and the fate of the Manager...so far 3 points from 2 games. Another 3 on Saturday and things will be looking brighter.
Two other points:
The second goal came from a well worked corner from the training ground so a plus point for the management unfortunately we conceded a similar goal so bad marks for the management!
If the crowd had chanted as loud for the team as loud as they chanted "Whitney out" then we might have wrapped up the game long before we did!

SWS11
UTS Regular

Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:47 pm

Gorra be chuffed wi' that. Thought it would peter out to a disappointing draw before the genius substitutions :mrgreen: .
Playoffs beckon :mrgreen:
Blurry brilliant. :D

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:49 pm

Good win, well happy.

It's not papering over the cracks though, there's no bloody wall there to paper!

Still think we're better off without him though.

Gripper
Glitterati

Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:51 pm

Hilarious. I love how I’m going, I’m seeing us win, having a laugh and people are choosing to stay at home. Claiming it’s a protest when they’ve probably already paid for a season ticket.

Gorra loff ay ya.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:52 pm

Play your best strikers and they score goals.

It really isn't rocket science.

UTS Legend

Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:59 pm

Well done, JW and the team!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:00 pm

What I don't understand is that fleetwood are only 4 points ahead of us after having played one game more, they were challenging the top in recent seasons, they have an experienced manager and they got beat by a whitney team and yet their fans didn't call for the manager's head

What's wrong with those fans

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:06 pm

Cowshed wrote:What I don't understand is that fleetwood are only 4 points ahead of us after having played one game more, they were challenging the top in recent seasons, they have an experienced manager and they got beat by a whitney team and yet their fans didn't call for the manager's head

What's wrong with those fans

Fleetwood are just having a season similar to many clubs when you miss promotion by a point....

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:12 pm

Surely Rosler must go

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:12 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:Play your best strikers and they score goals.

It really isn't rocket science.

However, to a certain Mr.Motivator it IS. You keep on playing your son (sorry that great lad with prospects) up front, who continually fails to shine, whilst THE combo that we have ALL been desperate to see up there scoring (cus that's what they do) sits on the bench.

However, great win tonight, and FOUR goals! (only downside is that the mans spurious antics will continue to confound us all on a weekly basis) AND we have pulled away from the drop zone, just a bit. Let's hope this was not yet another one off, job saving 'Doncaster' result.

m&m
Glitterati

Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:18 pm

Fantastic last 2 mins!
Yet again more poor mistakes though that other teams don’t seem to make that lead to goals conceded.
The substitution of Ismail was bizarre. Why? What was he watching.
Sorry but my stance stays the same.
Whitney out!

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:20 pm

m&m wrote:Fantastic last 2 mins!
Yet again more poor mistakes though that other teams don’t seem to make that lead to goals conceded.
The substitution of Ismail was bizarre. Why? What was he watching.
Sorry but my stance stays the same.
Whitney out!

Ismail was injured

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:35 pm

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:43 pm

swampysaddler wrote:http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/walsall/11138123/walsall-4-2-fleetwood

3rd and 4th are decent.
Did it look like the players didn't want to celebrate with the fans?

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:52 pm

Cowshed wrote:Ismail was injured

I don't think so. There was no sign of injury during the game and he ran off the pitch quite freely. Mark Czuczman did "ice" him when he came off but then he does that to all players who come off as part of their "cool down" régime.

Gripper
Glitterati

Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:53 pm

Why do the boycotters have to keep telling us they are boycotting?

Boring.

PreviousNext
Return to 2017-18 Season