Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Gillingham (H) League One, 18th Nov 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Exile
Jobsworth

Re: Gillingham (H) League One, 18th Nov 3pm

Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:28 am

Agyei's amateur hamming at the end is a sight. :lol:

Enniskillen
UTS Veteran

Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:05 am

And we've been working hard for 2 weeks on cutting out individual mistakes.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:34 am

Sadsfan wrote:
Walsallone wrote:An undeserved defeat against a very poor side. We played some good stuff but didn't create enough or cause their goalie to make saves. As others have said we have now gone back to to the "Smith" style which I personally like but we lack a Sawyers to control the play. We should have stuck with it all season. I would play 2 up front and leave Chambers out if I were the Manager. Good performances today from Ismail and Roberts (K)....lets hope we can get the goals on Tuesday against a better team. Out of the 6 key matches up to Christmas that is one down and no points...its looking bleak!!!

Ismail was like a Lotus sports car, looked great but kept going wrong.

Whitney said he was pretty much a 9/10 in the post match interview. :lol:

saddlertd
UTS Veteran

Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:40 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
saddlertd wrote:
Wyrley Saddler 66 wrote:Bakayoko should never start again.

Sorry to say it, but Chambers is now past it. He doesn’t create anything from midfield.

Unlucky today, but again this is all down to Whitney.

For once Morris was playing well and he took him off?

Ozzy had a mare and played 90 minutes

Don’t let El Numpty see that - he thinks Ozzie is a god who can do no wrong, yet in a lot of matches this season he has been totally ineffective. I’m not saying he’s got to score or make an assist every game but he seems to have lost his creative spark recently. We need to play 2 strikers at home.

Oh bore off mate. No I don’t. He had a very average hand today. Just don’t think shoving our main creative spark and source for goals out wide is the answer.

Strikers aren’t scoring? Get rid of the creative midfielder. Genius.

El N - thanks for that considered comment! The definition of madness is doing the same things and expecting a different outcome. It ain’t working playing one upfront - we need two strikers, especially at home. Yes, our strikers aren’t scoring, but they can’t if they are sitting on the fecking bench. Ozzie should either be moved out wide or dropped like he was last season when he lost form. What have we got to lose by trying something different? Our unbeaten home run?!! When did we last win at home? When did we last score at home?

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:28 pm

saddlertd wrote:The definition of madness is doing the same things and expecting a different outcome. It ain’t working playing one upfront - we need two strikers, especially at home.

We did try that and it didn't work either. The problem's the manager.

saddlersjse
UTS Regular

Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:44 pm

Not the worst performance I've seen this season (I was at Rotherham) but still cluseless, and to lose against that shoddy outfit is surely the final straw. Easily the worst team we've played at home this season and I thought Oldham would take some beating to that title (who are now above us :roll: ). Also they had ten men for 25 minutes. Unbelievable.

Haven't listened to Whitney's interview because I literally can't bear to listen to him anymore, but I'm sure already know it:
"Everything but score"
"We were working on our defending this week in training so it's disappointing to concede like that."
"The Gillingham sending off came at a really bad time for us as we were set up to play against 11 men."
"Tough match must win exciting football surprises Tuesday work on it we'll go again lots of energy lads put in a shift disappointed positives desire work hard behind lads performance."

Some observations:

- Guthrie - sorry but carthorse, donkey, League Two at best. Saw more finesse during the half time fight behind the stand. Aimless channel-ball hoofs and literally headed one of our corners clear.
- Kory Roberts - best defender we have on the books and he's not one of the ones that Whitney blew his budget on while building his "solid" defence. Says it all.
- The 1,000 or so extra on the gate with the free school kids tickets temporarily masks the fact that gates are dropping.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:32 pm

saddlersjse wrote:Not the worst performance I've seen this season (I was at Rotherham) but still cluseless, and to lose against that shoddy outfit is surely the final straw. Easily the worst team we've played at home this season and I thought Oldham would take some beating to that title (who are now above us :roll: ). Also they had ten men for 25 minutes. Unbelievable.

Haven't listened to Whitney's interview because I literally can't bear to listen to him anymore, but I'm sure already know it:
"Everything but score"
"We were working on our defending this week in training so it's disappointing to concede like that."
"The Gillingham sending off came at a really bad time for us as we were set up to play against 11 men."
"Tough match must win exciting football surprises Tuesday work on it we'll go again lots of energy lads put in a shift disappointed positives desire work hard behind lads performance."

Some observations:

- Guthrie - sorry but carthorse, donkey, League Two at best. Saw more finesse during the half time fight behind the stand. Aimless channel-ball hoofs and literally headed one of our corners clear.
- Kory Roberts - best defender we have on the books and he's not one of the ones that Whitney blew his budget on while building his "solid" defence. Says it all.
- The 1,000 or so extra on the gate with the free school kids tickets temporarily masks the fact that gates are dropping.

As is our League position.....'like a stone' perhaps?
Problem is, Bonser will not raise a finger in Whitney's direction whilst 4K still trundle through the turnstiles.
We possess a faithful 3K that will continue to line his pockets even if he played an under 14's squad.
Incidentally, did anyone watch Goal Rush? When you watch the likes of Scunny/Bradford/Wigan it makes you wince at the gulf in class.

PT
Site Addict

Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:49 pm

Couldn't go yesterday. Had a work thing at Old Trafford. But as I was following our game I just felt a crushing sense of inevitability.

We seemed to be racking up possession, chances and corners but you always know that we have a big defensive lapse waiting to happen which means we always need to score at least two to win any game. Scoring at all against a struggling side who we had given something to cling on to usually amounts to a big fat nil for us. When the sending off happened, my spirits weren't lifted in the slightest.

There isn't a case for any defence of Whitney anymore. I don't think there has been one since around March. Fair play to those who have tried to stick with him but his flip-flopping tactics, selection and strategic narrative all point to a man massively out of his depth. It is actually horrible to watch. A car crash in slow motion.

UTS Legend

Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:54 pm

All of Gillingham's goal attempts here.

https://youtu.be/xqknYv-ojBM

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:50 am

saddlertd wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
saddlertd wrote:

Sorry to say it, but Chambers is now past it. He doesn’t create anything from midfield.

Don’t let El Numpty see that - he thinks Ozzie is a god who can do no wrong, yet in a lot of matches this season he has been totally ineffective. I’m not saying he’s got to score or make an assist every game but he seems to have lost his creative spark recently. We need to play 2 strikers at home.

Oh bore off mate. No I don’t. He had a very average hand today. Just don’t think shoving our main creative spark and source for goals out wide is the answer.

El N - thanks for that considered comment! The definition of madness is doing the same things and expecting a different outcome. It ain’t working playing one upfront - we need two strikers, especially at home. Yes, our strikers aren’t scoring, but they can’t if they are sitting on the fecking bench. Ozzie should either be moved out wide or dropped like he was last season when he lost form. What have we got to lose by trying something different? Our unbeaten home run?!! When did we last win at home? When did we last score at home?

No that’s why I gave you at least 4 other options in another post where you can try something else without dropping your best f***ing player. Sawyers all over again.

Personally I think the definition of madness here is dropping your top scorer because as a team you are not scoring enough goals.

Fish
UTS Veteran

Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:21 am

El_Nombre wrote:
saddlertd wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
saddlertd wrote:

No that’s why I gave you at least 4 other options in another post where you can try something else without dropping your best f***ing player. Sawyers all over again.

Personally I think the definition of madness here is dropping your top scorer because as a team you are not scoring enough goals.

All irrelevant and missing the point. It's the manager that's the problem.

And the thing is a win against Fleetwood will give him yet another stay of execution.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:42 am

Fish wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
saddlertd wrote:

All irrelevant and missing the point. It's the manager that's the problem.

And the thing is a win against Fleetwood will give him yet another stay of execution.

Nobody is saying otherwise. But the system and personnel of the first team are not irrelevant either. Clearly something needs to change on that front too.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:52 am

Problem is Whitney has chopped and changed formation and its normally ended in defeat.

The lack of quality in the centre of the park doesn't really allow us to be to flexible with Formations, Flo's lack of fitness put pay to any of that.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:16 am

Mazza01 wrote:Problem is Whitney has chopped and changed formation and its normally ended in defeat.

The lack of quality in the centre of the park doesn't really allow us to be to flexible with Formations, Flo's lack of fitness put pay to any of that.

Flo IS fit and has been for two weeks.... Just not selected

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:19 am

Glad I was at Twickenham... :mrgreen:

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:51 am

Cheesebag wrote:
Mazza01 wrote:Problem is Whitney has chopped and changed formation and its normally ended in defeat.

My days , that makes it worse.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:53 am

Cheesebag wrote:

He is a mess of a manager. Clown.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:09 pm

PT wrote:Couldn't go yesterday. Had a work thing at Old Trafford. But as I was following our game I just felt a crushing sense of inevitability.

We seemed to be racking up possession, chances and corners but you always know that we have a big defensive lapse waiting to happen which means we always need to score at least two to win any game. Scoring at all against a struggling side who we had given something to cling on to usually amounts to a big fat nil for us. When the sending off happened, my spirits weren't lifted in the slightest.

There isn't a case for any defence of Whitney anymore. I don't think there has been one since around March. Fair play to those who have tried to stick with him but his flip-flopping tactics, selection and strategic narrative all point to a man massively out of his depth. It is actually horrible to watch. A car crash in slow motion.

For the first time in a long time I chose not to attend. I was in Walsall, with not a lot else to do, and I decided to not go.

I had to vote with my feet and keep my money out of the coffers. Club's going backwards

Fish
UTS Veteran

Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:22 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
Fish wrote:Mugabe or Whitney?

Who's going first?

Pulis

Well done El N. One down two to go.

coop63
Glitterati

Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:33 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:27 pm

Fish wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:

Who's going first?

Pulis

Haha it's going to be close. One is a maniacal leader who refers to his disastrous reign in only positive terms without accepting responsibility for the faults of his regime or the systems put in place.

The other is President of Zimbabwe

Fish
UTS Veteran

Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:48 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
Fish wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:

Who's going first?

Pulis

Haha it's going to be close. One is a maniacal leader who refers to his disastrous reign in only positive terms without accepting responsibility for the faults of his regime or the systems put in place.

The other is President of Zimbabwe

That's worth an uptick...if UTS had them, that is.

Previous
Return to 2017-18 Season