Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Shrewsbury Town (A) EFL Trophy, Tue 7th Nov 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Whitters
Site Addict

Re: Shrewsbury Town (A) EFL Trophy, Tue 7th Nov 7.45pm

Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:23 pm

A week in football is a hell of a long time.

First of all we have the passion of ASPS who puts his personal freedom at risk by going into the inner sanctum to let the manager know his feelings.

Then at the other end of the scale we have the usual suspects on here telling us ( for the millionth time ) that they don't care about Walsall's result.

You couldn't make it up.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:58 pm

Whitters wrote:A week in football is a hell of a long time.

First of all we have the passion of ASPS who puts his personal freedom at risk by going into the inner sanctum to let the manager know his feelings.

Then at the other end of the scale we have the usual suspects on here telling us ( for the millionth time ) that they don't care about Walsall's result.

You couldn't make it up.

No, I don’t care about this particular competition. Losing/winning will have made no difference on my thoughts towards Whitney.

I cared about the FA Cup loss. I care about the league. I don’t care about a competition with reserve teams in it.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:08 am

We're through to the last 16 teams (which now only includes three U23 teams from the Greedy Pigs League - Leicester, Swansea and West Ham) and do we not get a home draw as we finished top of our group? Always nice to beat the Sloppies no matter what other issues there are.

We're on our way to Wembley. I can see it now, with Asps as WFC's official guest in the Royal Box. They owe it all to his inspiring words at Newport! :lol: :lol:

UTS Legend

Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:28 am

Guest wrote:
Walsallone wrote:T. Roberts on international duty.

Yes, thanks. I'd forgotten that, probably because Wales U-21 don't play until Friday...

On the other hand, how is it that Kinsella, Kouhyar and Donnellan were available? Aren't they also supposed to be on international duty?

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:11 am

you sure its the last 16 I thought it was 32

48 league temas plus 16 invited u23 is 64 2 gone in group of 4 that's half so 32???
unless you meant last 16 matches

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:39 am

wednesburysaddler wrote:you sure its the last 16 I thought it was 32

48 league temas plus 16 invited u23 is 64 2 gone in group of 4 that's half so 32???
unless you meant last 16 matches

Correct - the 2nd round of this competition is still held on a regional basis, so we are one of 16 teams in the Northern section. As we finished top of our little group we will be drawn against a club that ended up in 2nd place in another Northern group.

The regional basis disappears from the 3rd round onwards.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:57 am

Unusual congratulations from the sloppies message board.

"The result is pretty irrelevant but WTF is it about those gypos down the M54.
It won't be a problem come tomorrow but Can't they just Peee you off sometimes."

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:48 am

I'm happy we won, but what a rubbish competition.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:02 am

Pedagogue wrote:We're through to the last 16 teams (which now only includes three U23 teams from the Greedy Pigs League - Leicester, Swansea and West Ham) and do we not get a home draw as we finished top of our group? Always nice to beat the Sloppies no matter what other issues there are.

We're on our way to Wembley. I can see it now, with Asps as WFC's official guest in the Royal Box. They owe it all to his inspiring words at Newport! :lol: :lol:

Wasn't it the same last year. Walked the group stages and then lost to Mansfield or someone like that.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:41 am

SoccerHQ wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:We're through to the last 16 teams (which now only includes three U23 teams from the Greedy Pigs League - Leicester, Swansea and West Ham) and do we not get a home draw as we finished top of our group? Always nice to beat the Sloppies no matter what other issues there are.

Wasn't it the same last year. Walked the group stages and then lost to Mansfield or someone like that.

Are Newport still in? :lol: :lol: :lol:

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:19 pm

scott_powell wrote:

You couldn't make it up.

No, I don’t care about this particular competition. Losing/winning will have made no difference on my thoughts towards Whitney.

I cared about the FA Cup loss. I care about the league. I don’t care about a competition with reserve teams in it.

I care about Walsall and will take and enjoy a win in any comp but agree this win does not change my opinion of Whitney and would like him out. I am however a realist and he is going nowhere unless we get relegated.
As for a comp with reserve teams in yes it stinks but what about the EFL cup where teams make 9 or 10 changes or even the FA cup where prem and championship teams do the same until they reach the last 8 is this any different or are these not reserve teams.
It will not change MONEY always wins sad s it may be.I wopuld rather have national league sides in than prem "kids" but will not happen.

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:05 pm

That's a good point Reedswood, if we got as far as playing a Manchester team in the FA cup it would probably be mostly reserves so whats the difference. I take the point about protesting because some people don't like the format and if people want to protest about all sorts of things that's up to them.

For me a wins a win and I am enjoying the competition. I am also undecided on JW because he is really dedicated to his job which is more than a lot of people can claim. He is clearly trying to change the way we play to get results and he clearly got it right on this occasion against a team who had only lost once in the last 19 games.

Do I think he always gets it right, no I don't, do we play attractive football for 80 or 90 minutes, no we don't but that can change so I am undecided.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:11 pm

reedswood sadler wrote:
scott_powell wrote:

You couldn't make it up.

I care about Walsall and will take and enjoy a win in any comp but agree this win does not change my opinion of Whitney and would like him out. I am however a realist and he is going nowhere unless we get relegated.
As for a comp with reserve teams in yes it stinks but what about the EFL cup where teams make 9 or 10 changes or even the FA cup where prem and championship teams do the same until they reach the last 8 is this any different or are these not reserve teams.
It will not change MONEY always wins sad s it may be.I wopuld rather have national league sides in than prem "kids" but will not happen.

They make changes but I don't mind watching us play teams who have depth. Look at Chelsea against us a few seasons back ...

Begovic
Ivanovic
Cahill
Terry (c)
Baba
Ramires
Mikel
Loftus-Cheek
Remy
Falcao
Kenedy

Subs: Blackman, Aina, Djilobodji, Matic, Traore, Pedro, Hazard.

Yes it's not their strongest line up but you can see they have strength and depth. There are some quality players on show there!

Compare that to albions under 21s against us in this one ...

Palmer
Soleman
Ferguson
Jameson (McCourt 85)
Melbourne
Clayton-Phillips (Rogers 67)
Bradley
Chambers
Field (Azaz 45)
Tulloch
Morton.

Substitutes: House, Harmon, Pierce, Healy.

It's a team of youth players.

That's the difference.

PT
Site Addict

Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:35 pm

Que sera sera..

PT
Site Addict

Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:19 pm

By my calculations, excluding any gate revenue, which to be fair probably barely cover expenses, we've made £45,000 out of this competition so far this year. It is another £20,000 if we win in the next round.

UTS Legend

Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:18 pm

There's a good save by Roberts in this. Keep him for Saturday (next)?

https://youtu.be/kMhMgKtulGM

chunkster
Site Addict

Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:25 pm

Guest wrote:There's a good save by Roberts in this. Keep him for Saturday (next)?

https://youtu.be/kMhMgKtulGM

Excellent performance from Roberts, and a good all round team performance from the looks of it :D

Whitters
Site Addict

Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:45 am

So what do people want?
Just remove the Prem teams?
I like the group stuff so I'd be happy to keep the competition and the group idea.
And as PT says, it's good little earner.
And it takes the place of going out immediately in the other higher profile cups.
And anyway, didn't WFC vote to throw out the Prem teams so why are people boycotting our games?
We're innocent folks.

saddla
Site Addict

Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:36 am

Whitters wrote:So what do people want?
Just remove the Prem teams?
I like the group stuff so I'd be happy to keep the competition and the group idea.
And as PT says, it's good little earner.
And it takes the place of going out immediately in the other higher profile cups.
And anyway, didn't WFC vote to throw out the Prem teams so why are people boycotting our games?
We're innocent folks.

It's being boycotted because it's a blatant precursor to having B teams from The Prem in the lower leagues.
If you want a read on what's gone wrong with the game read this blog from Tom Ross. I's a disease that's spreading down the leagues too:

http://thegoalzone.co.uk/blog/2017/11/9/why-we-fans-are-down-the-pecking-order-of-importance

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:35 am

I am with WHITTERS on this ....ideally I would like the under 23s drop out but the group stage competition is good. It gave us the chance to try something different on Tuesday. A mate of mine who went said Kouyhar played very well as did Baka.so perhaps more low profile matches are good for the younger lads and will help to build their confidence.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:22 am

No issue with the group stage aspect. I only have an issue with U23's being involved.

tinned
Site Addict

Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:15 pm

Whitters wrote:And anyway, didn't WFC vote to throw out the Prem teams so why are people boycotting our games?
We're innocent folks.

I am impressed that our club voted against this ludicrous format. Much respect to the for that.

However, I stay away because I am convinced that if this format is seen to be successful then it will be brought into the league structure, and that would ruin lower league football for ever.

My absence will obviously make no difference but as long as I can see I have not in any way added to it's success then I'm happy.

If U23 teams did ever come into our leagues then I'm walking away for good.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:17 pm

Bury at home next round.

Previous
Return to 2017-18 Season