Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Newport County (A) F.A.Cup Nov 4th, 5.15pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Re: Newport County (A) F.A.Cup Nov 4th, 5.15pm

Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:31 pm

BathSaddler wrote:
shrewsbury saddler wrote:Out-thought and outmanoeuvred by an organised but mediocre tier 4 side.

Indeed, they deserved their win. So frustrating though as the only time we got in the box we scored. The players do not want to play for Whitney, but they should take some responsibility for that uninspired apology of a performance. Too many loan players who don't really care, Ismail/Donnellan can go back to Bury and WBA for me right away.

The position of the manager is simply untenable. A good club servant, but he has to go.

Here we go with the overblowing. That was a terrible performance but I wouldn’t say their performance outmanoeuvred is by any stretch of the imagination. We dominated possession and had a perfectly good goal disallowed.

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:31 pm

That was rubbish, too much messing about around the halfway line, ozzy was kicking the ball anywhere except where it should go. Ismail was no better and Baka should have started (although many on here would not agree).

We were clearly the better side and Morris was definitely not offside but the team need to realise that the plan is to get the ball into a goal scoring position and then take a shot occasionally!

Absolutely no urgency at all.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:32 pm

BathSaddler wrote:
shrewsbury saddler wrote:Out-thought and outmanoeuvred by an organised but mediocre tier 4 side.

Indeed, they deserved their win. So frustrating though as the only time we got in the box we scored. The players do not want to play for Whitney, but they should take some responsibility for that uninspired apology of a performance. Too many loan players who don't really care, Ismail/Donnellan can go back to Bury for me right away.

The position of the manager is simply untenable. A good club servant, but he has to go.
And guthrie for me, he isn't fit to lace kory roberts boots :|

Pheasey_Saddler
UTS Regular

Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:32 pm

Poor performance, not the worst I've seen by any stretch, but the team just looks tired, unmotivated, uncreative and lethargic. Needs new impetus and ideas desperately and sadly I don't think Whitney can provide it.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:35 pm

Donnellan just looks like another Toner, Korey Roberts has actually looked decent on occasions this season. Can only think Whitney dosen't believe he can play in a back 4 although his opinion won't be counting for much longer.

Ismail is cack.

The only decent loan players are the strikers.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:38 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:He could've done stuff to change things aswell.

I would've put Baka on at half time, two upfront and something for their defence to deal with.

Even at 2-1 he still had a sub left, Jackson was warming up so surely in those circumstances you throw him on for a defender even if he's out of favour.

Looking at him at the final whistle I think he realises it's curtains for him.

If it isn't, I suggest he gets some lottery tickets double quick, and we all hang on for a relegation scrap....however, if they play with the desire and passion they showed tonight, then there will be no fight, just acceptance of the inevitable if we are still in Whitneyland for the rest of the season.

giglee

Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:46 pm

He’s gone imo.

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:47 pm

Worst performance in the cup since that Lincoln City game that made me feel ill. The only thing missing was a goal from Taundry that nobody noticed.

Just in case the board do read this site I am a season ticket holder for many years and always go for the early bird ticket. If we are out of touch of the play offs by February I will not renew.

I will never resort to slagging of Jon because he is a decent man and has been a great servant to this club . He has a future in the game as a great Assistant Manager somewhere and he will bounce back as a manager once he has properly learned his trade. He was brave to take on the post because he believes in the club (MOST of us wanted that!) but tonight showed he hasn't got it.

To Mr. Bonser: Dismiss Jon and give him his pay off, he deserves that at least.

Next Manager: Shakespeare . He has worked with the best and found himself in the same situation as Jon in being promoted without enough experience. Come to Walsall an learn your trade properly.

This post is sponsored by two bottles of Yellowtail and I am lighting a shed load of heavy duty fireworks in a bit. It may be my last. :shock:

Pheasey_Saddler
UTS Regular

Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:47 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:He could've done stuff to change things aswell.

I would've put Baka on at half time, two upfront and something for their defence to deal with.

Even at 2-1 he still had a sub left, Jackson was warming up so surely in those circumstances you throw him on for a defender even if he's out of favour.

Looking at him at the final whistle I think he realises it's curtains for him.

If it isn't, I suggest he gets some lottery tickets double quick, and we all hang on for a relegation scrap....however, if they play with the desire and passion they showed tonight, then there will be no fight, just acceptance of the inevitable if we are still in Whitneyland for the rest of the season.

I said exactly the same at the final whistle - he looked a seriously deflated man.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:48 pm

Pheasey_Saddler wrote:Poor performance, not the worst I've seen by any stretch, but the team just looks tired, unmotivated, uncreative and lethargic. Needs new impetus and ideas desperately and sadly I don't think Whitney can provide it.

I know what you mean, P_S. I've seen far worse too, but the rate at which we've gone backwards over the last few weeks in terms of quality of play is ridiculous. The performance at Bristol Rovers, even though we lost to 10 men, was miles better than that. There seems nothing left in the tank.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:48 pm

Can't think of ANY player that came out of that performance with credit, Chambers was head and shoulders above them all for passion but he's in a sea of ineptness.

Our goalie is crud, 4th Division average, Donnellan, Morris & Guthrie waste of space, Kinsella earning a living because of his dad, tries, but is woefully weak and clueless at times, Ismail should be sent back, even Ozzy had a stinker.

We have no ideas up front, the sideways and backwards mantra is raising it's head again because we just have no ideas going forward.

UTS Legend

Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:57 pm

Well, I enjoyed it.

I enjoyed the fact that my app worked really well, and I was able to watch the team I support from 6000 miles away. No buffering problems. No sound synchronisation problems - none that I noticed, anyway, not being fluent in Welsh.

I enjoyed Baka's goal. If only he'd been on earlier.

That's about it.

By the way, is 'Otsuma' Welsh for Oztumer?

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:01 pm

I'm massively clutching at straws and more in hope than expectation but still no post game media comments...

PT
Site Addict

Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:14 pm

That was painful. I was thinking of travelling but very glad I didn't.

Forget the exodus of 2015/2016. The players we have lost because of him, his methods, his personality have made us worse. Oh for an Osbourne driving us from midfield or a calm headed Jimmy O'Connor or a combative Matt Preston or even for a hugely competent Craig Macgillivray. None of those left for cash or for a higher status. They left because of him. And it has made us weaker. I'm sure there's a Scott Laird story somewhere in there too.

Oh and two that would probably leave if they could would be Kory Roberts and Nicky Devlin. Again, I can only assume their absence tonight and last week was some clash of ideas or thoughts with Mr Motivator himself.

"Oh but we've been playing all the good teams" they said. Wait until we play the lesser teams. Well we went subterranean today to try to find our level and we came second. So so similar to last year against Macclesfield. But we gave him the benefit of the doubt then. He's learning. Loyal servant. Exodus of players in the summer.

We're not fickle. Fickle fans would have hounded him out a year ago. But we didn't. He had earned the right for some patience. It is a long way spent now. In fact he is overdrawn at the bank of patience. Bankrupt even. Just go. Now.

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:21 pm

As expected by many of us realists, a toothless performance lacking any passion or urgency to win a game

Full credit to the Exiles as they simply out fought us despite our obvious superior possession with the ball. Right from kick off they looked up for it and we didn’t - that I’m afraid is totally at the door of JW as it’s his job to do that stuff in preparing the team for the game on the day...

I agree that Morris ‘goal’ was perfectly on side and that was unlucky but for the main part, Newport deserve full credit for their win and we can’t complain about the result...

I hope the board and Mr Bonser specifically are proud of their embarrassing management of the club because as fans, we are largely disgusted at the dross being served up for us..

I didn’t renew my ST this season because I wasn’t happy with the direction of the club and whilst I became more optimistic as we signed what I considered to be some decent loan players, we have unfortunately ended up where I feared we would...

Sorry to see the club in this state

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:32 pm

Massively disappointing, but not unexpected. Give Walsall a banana skin, and they can't resist the pratfall. Clowns.

Fish
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:38 pm

Two positives from tonight;

- It's one game nearer to the end of Whitney (and hopefully his last)
- The kit looked great

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:39 pm

Neuromantic wrote:I'm massively clutching at straws and more in hope than expectation but still no post game media comments...

https://audioboom.com/posts/6458371-jon ... ion-making

Jon Whitney on the FA Cup exit at Newport "We can't account for individual decision making"

Fish
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:46 pm

Whitney in the Star:

“I’m accountable but so are some of my players as well - I can’t keep carrying the can for them,” he said.
“I have shown belief in some of them but now they have to give a bit of that back.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:51 pm

He is talking about his decisions I take it.

saddlertd
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:03 pm

coop63 wrote:As expected by many of us realists, a toothless performance lacking any passion or urgency to win a game

Full credit to the Exiles as they simply out fought us despite our obvious superior possession with the ball. Right from kick off they looked up for it and we didn’t - that I’m afraid is totally at the door of JW as it’s his job to do that stuff in preparing the team for the game on the day...

I agree that Morris ‘goal’ was perfectly on side and that was unlucky but for the main part, Newport deserve full credit for their win and we can’t complain about the result...

I hope the board and Mr Bonser specifically are proud of their embarrassing management of the club because as fans, we are largely disgusted at the dross being served up for us..

I didn’t renew my ST this season because I wasn’t happy with the direction of the club and whilst I became more optimistic as we signed what I considered to be some decent loan players, we have unfortunately ended up where I feared we would...

Sorry to see the club in this state

Coop - I couldn’t agree more. I feel a bit sorry for Whitney, he’s done his best but it just hasn’t been good enough. Yes, he’s made mistakes, such as peeing off good players like Osborne, O’Connor and Laird and not settling on a formation that gets the best out of the players at his disposal. He’s also signed some bang average players such as Gillespie, Guthrie, Devlin, Leahy and Ismail (he’s crud)....but part of the reason for that is because Bonser and his cronies are taking more than a grand a day out of our football club. After all, if you can only pay peanuts, then don’t be surprised if you only get monkeys.

The board is also to blame for giving a rookie manager a 3-year contract: what a joke. It should have been a 1-year rolling contract. It’s time for John to go: we need some new impetus and I don’t think he can provide it. Shakey for me - we’ve got some decent players but we must stop building our formation around Oztumer: we should play 4-4-2 with Morris on the right and Ozzie on the left with Baka and Roberts up front. The other Roberts (Kory) should be starting in place of Guthrie.

giglee

Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:41 pm

Anyone who seriously think Shakespeare will come here are delusional. He’d earn at least twice as much as an assistant manager in the PL or as a manager in the championship. Will not come here to earn 10% what he did previously.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:43 pm

Fish wrote:Whitney in the Star:

“I’m accountable but so are some of my players as well - I can’t keep carrying the can for them,” he said.
“I have shown belief in some of them but now they have to give a bit of that back.

How many times has he said that after bad defeats? It's his stock answer.

Eventually though the players stop listening and I think that's where we are now.

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:44 pm

made the journey today with my pal new ground for both of us my 85th club so glad I got that in
my first time away this season and sitting down the side if the pitch not behind a goal so get to look at new angles from home matches.

this was a very poor performance up there from days of hibbit.

those players aren't interested they aren't playing for the manager
example first 76minutes hoofing the ball up to a 5ft 1 midfielder which isn't the way to attempt scoring a goal
so we score because we bring a tall striker on bakayoko and get back into game so theres 12 minutes or so to rescue game against a poor league 2 side
so what do they do start passing the ball around the middle of pitch no urgency to get ball forward to score 2nd goal.

when we did play ball on floor in 1st half it was going backwards more than it was going forwards like they were playing foot rugby.

team looked poor from start to finish wasn't up for the fight and they have something to answer to tonight as well as the manager.
get whitney and sharps out pick the phone up to viveash whos assistant manager at Coventry and get him down.

2 week break now to get a fresh broom out sweep up the deadwood and bring something new to the table.

if earybirds went on sale next week then hed be sacked trust me

no cup run again which is annoying but now we got to get some wins in the league and get out of the rut

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:45 pm

Where do I start with that shower of shite?

From start to finish they wanted it more.

From start to finish they worked harder.

From start to finish they showed more attacking intent.

From start to finish they were more organised.

From start to finish their players knew their jobs.

We had 2 shots in 90 minutes.

From start to finish they managed to stretch our defence.

From start to finish league 2 players made us look inept.

From start to finish they showed more passion.

From start to finish they concentrated more.

From start to finish they won 50/50s.

It was a fudge shower of shite.

I don't mind finishing 14th as long as we show a little bit of passion in the cups.

If he isn't sacked after this debacle, I won't be attending another match until he's gone.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:54 pm

THIS
IS
WHY
YOU
DONT
STICK
WITH
SOMEONE
WHO
IS
CLEARLY
OUT
OF
THEIR
DEPTH!!!!

Should have gone fudge ages ago.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:59 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:Can't think of ANY player that came out of that performance with credit, Chambers was head and shoulders above them all for passion but he's in a sea of ineptness.

Our goalie is crud, 4th Division average, Donnellan, Morris & Guthrie waste of space, Kinsella earning a living because of his dad, tries, but is woefully weak and clueless at times, Ismail should be sent back, even Ozzy had a stinker.

We have no ideas up front, the sideways and backwards mantra is raising it's head again because we just have no ideas going forward.

I don't judge players whilst playing under such inept leadership.

Even very good players like Tyler Roberts looked lost today. We just don't organise ourselves, and we don't have a play. It's just aimless and pointless. Even the best players in the world would look crap under Whitney

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:07 pm

BathSaddler wrote:
Pheasey_Saddler wrote:Poor performance, not the worst I've seen by any stretch, but the team just looks tired, unmotivated, uncreative and lethargic. Needs new impetus and ideas desperately and sadly I don't think Whitney can provide it.

I know what you mean, P_S. I've seen far worse too, but the rate at which we've gone backwards over the last few weeks in terms of quality of play is ridiculous. The performance at Bristol Rovers, even though we lost to 10 men, was miles better than that. There seems nothing left in the tank.

Do we know any decent training camps?

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:09 pm

Their bald defender had a right pair on him

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:54 pm

Having watched it on TV I have to say that we had a lot of possession but did nothing with it. We were also unlucky with the disallowed goal however you make your luck in any sport by playing well. On its own this wasn't as bad as I have seen but in a stuttering season it clearly wasn't good enough.I also think JW had a point afterwards about some of the players who did not perform as they can however sadly the the way things are going JWs time as Manager is coming to an end. I say sadly because I wanted him to succeed and he has served us well in other capacities.
I just hope that when the inevitable happens JB will find us a good 'un.....his record is patchy in this regard.

PreviousNext
Return to 2017-18 Season