Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Newport County (A) F.A.Cup Nov 4th, 5.15pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Newport County (A) F.A.Cup Nov 4th, 5.15pm

Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:20 pm

At Severn's mouth ......
Scenes dear to memory.....
The voice of Ebbw in his lovely park

(Davies)

The cup ...... The F.A. Cup ....... the proper cup competition, the original, the best, even under sponsorship umbrella names this competition still holds a certain magic. We've never won it, never come close, always been one of the "minnows" - and in this 2017/18 season we find ourselves up against a fellow minnow, away at League 2 Newport County. "The exiles", as they are known locally (sorry about that, Exile) fought their way back in to the League 4 years ago after 25 years in the wilderness of non-league, the lowest point being their start-up in the Hellenic League - the "exiles" title refers to their having to play home matches for 3 seasons at both Moreton-in-Marsh or Gloucester City's grounds, mostly for the same reasons that saw Coventry City having to use Northampton Town's facilities.

County are currently on the fringes of the play-off zone in League 2, but it may well be that Boardroom issues are affecting performances on the pitch despite manager Mike Flynn publicly stating that "it's not something we should be concentrating on". Having said that, when a Director resigns from the Board citing "governance issues" and saying he could no longer work with his fellow Directors then it's possible that all is not well. Flynn was appointed manager in March this year with County 11 points adrift at the foot of League 2, and their survival reflects well on his abilities. In the 4 years since regaining League status, County have seen 6 managers come and go (or get the push) - Justin Edinburgh, Jimmy Dack, Terry Butcher, John Sheridan, Warren Feeney, Graham Westley and now Mike Flynn - all this in 4 years!

The current County team has one or two familiar names .... Joss Labadie has been round the lower leagues after starting with the Baggies, Frank Nouble is also much-travelled (as far as China in fact) but also played for both the Baggies and the Dingles early in his career. Recent signing Paul Hayes is approaching match fitness, but at the age of 34 he may not be the greyhound striker of his youth. Full-back Mickey Demetriou may, just may be related to Jason Demetriou - there's no definite evidence, but he has been approached by the Cyprus national football team, to whom he qualifies through his Cypriot grandfather. It's probable that Dan Butler will not be available, having been sent off against Notts County for leading with the elbow. Recent League 2 form for Newport County reveals the following:

30 Sep Luton Town (A) Lost 3-1
7 Oct Yeovil Town (H) Won 2-0
14 Oct Forest Green Rovers (A) Won 0-4
17 Oct Colchester United (H) Lost 1-2
21 Oct Mansfield Town (H) Drew 1-1
28 Oct Notts County (A) Lost 3-0

According to a vocal element on this and other websites Jon Whitney's grip on his managerial tenure is fast slipping away, and an early exit from this competition would not only be harmful to his prospects but would also bar our way to potentially attractive games (in financial terms) later on. It's hard to predict his team selection and/or tactics, as they tend to vary so much. No longer can you say "the defence/attack/midfield picks itself", because as we have seen in practical terms, it just isn't so. I suppose the only players guaranteed to start are Gillespie and Bakayoko, which is sad when you consider that even a player with Oztumer's qualities might end up warming the bench.

Match prediction? Ever the optimist (I know, more fool me), I will go for a 1-1 draw (Edwards) and a replay at fortress Bescot.

UTS :D

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Re: Newport County (A) F.A.Cup Nov 4th, 5.15pm

Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:35 pm

Game is live from 5pm on S4C (Channel 134 for anyone with SKY).

buttssadler

Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:00 pm

my heart says 2-0 away win :D but head says 1-0 loss and jw to gone by monday :(

chunkster
Site Addict

Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:07 pm

1=1 Draw then bring them back to the bezla for us to win on penalties :mrgreen:

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:55 pm

As it been mentioned if the two loan forwards are being allowed to play.

m&m
Glitterati

Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:33 pm

So who has and hasn’t been given permission to play of our loanees?
With 3 days to go why is this so vague?

Whitters
Site Addict

Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:30 am

You'll note that one of their nicknames is The Exiles.
Does that mean our very own Exile will support them over WFC?

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:01 am

buttssadler wrote:my heart says 2-0 away win :D but head says 1-0 loss and jw taking the positives especially as they stepped it up a gear in training :(

Sorted that for you :mrgreen:

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:31 am

Whitters wrote:You'll note that one of their nicknames is The Exiles.
Does that mean our very own Exile will support them over WFC?

Bugger off!

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:36 am

Ever the optimist I will go for a win....not comfortable but a win!!!!

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:45 am

This could well be a defeat. Newport are just outside the play offs. There's very little difference between bottom half league 1/top half league 2.

I'll go for 1-1....then defeat in the replay when winner is drawn away to Wigan in round 2. :mrgreen:

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:29 pm

I understand that this a football match to occur on Saturday.
It features two teams of medium to low quality professional footballers.
None of this makes any sense anymore.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:29 pm

If it was at home I'd be predicting a sweeping 4-0 victory. As it's away I fear the "minnows" will be more up for this and will win 1-0.
Last edited by El_Nombre on Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:35 pm

Agyei and Wilson not allowed to play by their parent clubs.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:05 pm

Wilson? We have him on a season long loan! Very strange ...

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:00 pm

Walsallone wrote:Wilson? We have him on a season long loan! Very strange ...

Sheffield Utd are probably covering their own arses in case they have to recall him.

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:39 pm

swampysaddler wrote:
Walsallone wrote:Wilson? We have him on a season long loan! Very strange ...

Sheffield Utd are probably covering their own arses in case they have to recall him.

I thought that under the new rules loan players could not be recalled by parent clubs.
If that is right why refuse he will not play for anybody else in cup.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:26 pm

Sheffield United could sell him during the January "window" (like George Evans was) and his resale value would be greater if he were not cup-tied.

UTS Legend

Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:10 am

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:Agyei and Wilson not allowed to play by their parent clubs.

That guarantees Baka a start - as if a guarantee were needed.

UTS Legend

Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:23 am

swampysaddler wrote:Game is live from 5pm on S4C (Channel 134 for anyone with SKY).

Not sure if this link will work for overseas folk.

http://www.live-fodbold.dk/livestreamin ... ive-stream

(Danish site)

It's now also here - if you can work through the ads on the day, and if it's not banned in your part of the world.

http://livetv.sx/enx/eventinfo/587293_n ... y_walsall/

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:45 am

Tough game for any side let alone one that's struggling. The magic of the FA Cup kicking us in the teeth.

2-1 defeat for me.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:05 am

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:Agyei and Wilson not allowed to play by their parent clubs.

According to the Excuse & Dingle, it's only Agyei whose parent club has refused permission to play against Newport County. Wilson is apparently injured, and was already set to miss out, having picked up 5 yellow cards. Cuvelier is also injured (no surprise there).

WBA loan players Tyler Roberts and Shaun Donnellan are both available, so it's not all bad news....... :D

m&m
Glitterati

Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:50 am

Apparently Witters is taking this tie very seriously according to the press.
Then again he said that about Mac at home in round
1 last year ....
Could it be that he’s getting a little nervy?

Fish
UTS Veteran

Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:12 pm

m&m wrote:Apparently Witters is taking this tie very seriously according to the press.
Then again he said that about Mac at home in round
1 last year ....
Could it be that he’s getting a little nervy?

We're favourites! We're expected to win according to him. I don't know where he gets his ideas from or what football he's been watching.

m&m
Glitterati

Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:20 pm

Is Ismail cup tied?

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:12 pm

Very nervous about the game, we are nearly always perfect fodder for giant killing (as if any footy team would EVER consider little old Worsul a giant!) We nearly always perform badly in front of the cameras (so no change from the norm there anyway) Newport are on a surge (apart from last weeks right ommerin)...right then, on a positive note Baky will be in the line up for a change, hoorah!! ( he will get rave reviews on his stonking inability to make any impression whatsoever) Can't think of any other positives...........................perhaps 'Optimistic' or 'Shropshire' or 'South'ton' could help out, there have to be more? Surely? :oops:

Can see us slipping to a 1-0 defeat and another chance at a cup run ending. Even IF we did win, it is the law that we will draw Wigan away in the next round. :(

Fish
UTS Veteran

Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:26 pm

Hull Saddler asked about the TV fee for tomorrow. According to the FA, for Welsh language only broadcasts each team gets £15,000 plus £18,000 for the winner. The usual TV fee for the first round is £67,500.

SWS11
UTS Regular

Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:32 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:Very nervous about the game, we are nearly always perfect fodder for giant killing (as if any footy team would EVER consider little old Worsul a giant!) We nearly always perform badly in front of the cameras (so no change from the norm there anyway) Newport are on a surge (apart from last weeks right ommerin)...right then, on a positive note Baky will be in the line up for a change, hoorah!! ( he will get rave reviews on his stonking inability to make any impression whatsoever) Can't think of any other positives...........................perhaps 'Optimistic' or 'Shropshire' or 'South'ton' could help out, there have to be more? Surely? :oops:

Can see us slipping to a 1-0 defeat and another chance at a cup run ending. Even IF we did win, it is the law that we will draw Wigan away in the next round. :(

Au contraire, Ancient. In the recent past, we have performed very well in front of the cameras ( not counting important games like Wembley and playoffs), winning most of our televised league games and playing very well - Peterborough a few years ago springs to mind.
As for tomorrow, I note with trepidation that the Div 2 teams playing tonight both stuffed their Div 1 "giants" with no problem. So, I'm afraid: very afraid.
Not optimistic,
:(

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:00 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:Very nervous about the game, we are nearly always perfect fodder for giant killing (as if any footy team would EVER consider little old Worsul a giant!) We nearly always perform badly in front of the cameras (so no change from the norm there anyway) Newport are on a surge (apart from last weeks right ommerin)...right then, on a positive note Baky will be in the line up for a change, hoorah!! ( he will get rave reviews on his stonking inability to make any impression whatsoever) Can't think of any other positives...........................perhaps 'Optimistic' or 'Shropshire' or 'South'ton' could help out, there have to be more? Surely? :oops:

Can't help you AM, I have no idea what the result will be. I have a gut feeling your boy Baky will get a goal for you though if that helps.

UTS Legend

Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:58 pm

I predict we will still be in at least one cup competition after Tuesday.

Next
Return to 2017-18 Season