Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Newport County (A) F.A.Cup Nov 4th, 5.15pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Gripper
Glitterati

Re: Newport County (A) F.A.Cup Nov 4th, 5.15pm

Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:01 am

Not read much of this thread...but.

Was it just me or did we actually try and play a high possession passing game today? It’s like our strategy has completely changed since last sat. I thought first half we played ok but didn’t create anything. Had a feeling we would score but didn’t think we would let one in 30 secs after kicking off.

I was slap bang in line with the goal line. To me looked like the keeper thought it was going nowhere so decided to leave it...will have to re watch mind.

Edit - just saw highlights. Keeper nowhere near it..like the rest of the team in the build up. Disgrace.

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:16 am

After calming down and having a swift drink I have not changed my opinion on the performance but the bottom line is that we were actually robbed by the officials, Morris scored a perfectly legal goal and it was disallowed by a mistake from the linesman which cost us a draw. A draw is not good enough against a side which had a lucky deflection because of feable defending and a goal which most keepers would save and most defenders would prevent.

Is that Whitneys fault I just cannot decide. I watch Kory Roberts and he is getting a foot or a head on everything that threatens and then he makes mistakes but could he have done a job. A lot of posters on here say play a winger, Ismail and drop Baka but he did that and it was a mistake. I believe that it was questioned if bringing Maz on was wise but he got the assist and Baka got the goal and that was probably the most attacking action we saw all game so who is right.

As far as losing players I do not buy the comments and I know that Osborne for one is not what people are guessing. I am coming to the conclusion that JW is convincing the payers that they are better than they are and I think that they need a reality check and get on with the job. It could of course be that the tactics are completely wrong as I would have expected a fast paced passing game against a lower league team who appeared to have quite a small pitch and not a lot of options. The bottom line is we gifted them the win.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:15 am

He needs to go and NOW!! Clueless doesn't come close to describing the crap he serves up.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:38 am

Mazza01 wrote:He needs to go and NOW!! Clueless doesn't come close to describing the crap he serves up.

I imagine we all know that after seeing that clip at the final whistle, this is a man who knows his time is up. His face showed everybody watching that he is tired of trying and is out of ideas. If he doesn't go of his own accord, the Board will have no option. Currently we ARE going places, but it most certainly aint towards the play off's! :(
New impetus is required, and quickly to avoid meltdown. I too am sad at the state the club is in, but the writing was on the wall long ago in this already written off season.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:08 am

scott_powell wrote:THIS
IS
WHY
YOU
DONT
STICK
WITH
SOMEONE
WHO
IS
CLEARLY
OUT
OF
THEIR
DEPTH!!!!

Should have gone fudge ages ago.

Didn't think you were there.

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:28 pm

Don't worry. When we start playing teams that aren't in the top 5 of the division we'll be fine ..... Saigon has told us so!

Harry
UTS Veteran

Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:03 pm

Watch their two goals http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41785540 and you will see that Guthrie had the chance to block both of them. There are some defenders who are prepared to put their bodies on the line to save a goal, there are others who like to float around trying to look good but when it comes to the crunch are not really interested.

I hope that one of the first things that Whitney's replacement (it cannot be too long now surely) does is ask Kidderminster if they will release James O'Connor, and if so then beg him to come back. O'Connor, Matt Preston and Kory Roberts are not perfect centre-halves but each of them gives everything they have to the cause and will throw themselves in front of the ball to prevent a goal.

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:05 pm

Guest wrote:Well, I enjoyed it.

I enjoyed the fact that my app worked really well, and I was able to watch the team I support from 6000 miles away. No buffering problems. No sound synchronisation problems - none that I noticed, anyway, not being fluent in Welsh.

I enjoyed Baka's goal. If only he'd been on earlier.

That's about it.

By the way, is 'Otsuma' Welsh for Oztumer?

I enjoyed it too - thanks for the tip, I was able to watch from Orlando!! I imagine if I'd been in cold Wales for it I'd been less pleased!!

Incidentally I was on Discovery Bay recently - great home you've got out there!! Despite the snakes!!

Morning after thoughts, not great but I've seen worse. Whitney is in trouble but might be able to pull the rabbit out of the hat!!
UTS.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:28 pm

Soton Saddler wrote:

I enjoyed the fact that my app worked really well, and I was able to watch the team I support from 6000 miles away. No buffering problems. No sound synchronisation problems - none that I noticed, anyway, not being fluent in Welsh.

That's about it.

I enjoyed it too - thanks for the tip, I was able to watch from Orlando!! I imagine if I'd been in cold Wales for it I'd been less pleased!!

Incidentally I was on Discovery Bay recently - great home you've got out there!! Despite the snakes!!

Morning after thoughts, not great but I've seen worse. Whitney is in trouble but might be able to pull the rabbit out of the hat!!
UTS.

As he does every time he’s under pressure, then people like you act like he’s the messiah again.

Get rid now.

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:22 pm

scott_powell wrote:
Soton Saddler wrote:

That's about it.

UTS.

As he does every time he’s under pressure, then people like you act like he’s the messiah again.

Get rid now.

I see you're still fully wound.
I don't think I've ever acted like Jon was the messiah. What I have done is thought as an individual, haven't bought into clueless mob mentality - instantly reacting just as people did with Dean Smith. Most of the messages I read criticising the management are fair enough but when people like you take it too far then I like to offer an alternative view.
Despite what you think this isn't that bad. I can see the negatives, I find it surprising that you can't find anything positive to say against someone who's clearly passionate about our football club.

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:21 pm

Soton Saddler wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
Soton Saddler wrote:

That's about it.

UTS.

Get rid now.

I don't think I've ever acted like Jon was the messiah. What I have done is thought as an individual, haven't bought into clueless mob mentality - instantly reacting just as people did with Dean Smith. Most of the messages I read criticising the management are fair enough but when people like you take it too far then I like to offer an alternative view.
Despite what you think this isn't that bad. I can see the negatives, I find it surprising that you can't find anything positive to say against someone who's clearly passionate about our football club.

I agree with Soton cold light of day and perspective and all that

And I think there are few still thinking this way perhaps not as forthcoming with their views- don't blame them

That said taking a commercial view of things which I know the chairman very likely will, Whitney, whatever your thoughts on him, clearly on balance, has become commercially unviable. Maybe he will keep him whilst we are not in the bottom 4 and meanwhile line up a replacement, god knows who, and get the replacement to be looking at players he wants over the next few months, and then make the change in manager just before the early bird sales. This may boost sales and save on compensation and gives the new person time to work out what and who he needs.

Just saying this might happen :wink:

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:23 pm

Soton Saddler wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
Soton Saddler wrote:

That's about it.

UTS.

Get rid now.

Just shows you don’t read my posts on other threads. I praised him in terms of recruitment as I do think he has an eye for a player, he just can’t manage them.

Selective reading as I see from most of you lot.

Fully wound? Really :lol:

SWS11
UTS Regular

Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:40 pm

chunkster wrote:there is no way that was off side :twisted:

It weren't offside. Official got it wrong: saw it clearly on the telly. But we day deserve owt anyway. :(

SWS11
UTS Regular

Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:46 pm

boringteacher wrote:So, if you are a ST holder, email Moles on Monday. We'll be around the bottom 4 by January with this clueless Scunthorpe in charge. If Bonser accepts this, he can **** ** **** before I renew my season ticket - slow down your asset stripping and invest in a competent manager (he gave him the 3 years!).

I'm guessing those asterisks involve derriere and osculation :lol:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:14 pm

SWS11 wrote:
boringteacher wrote:So, if you are a ST holder, email Moles on Monday. We'll be around the bottom 4 by January with this clueless Scunthorpe in charge. If Bonser accepts this, he can **** ** **** before I renew my season ticket - slow down your asset stripping and invest in a competent manager (he gave him the 3 years!).

I'm guessing those asterisks involve derriere and osculation :lol:

Guess again....... :wink:

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:37 pm

I think we can see that events have now come to a natural conclusion. Jon has had time but its not working, and its not going to change. Its best for all concerned that this is put to an end.

Gutted, I wanted him to do well, I really liked the theme of someone from inside the club stepping up and making a success I really did. But another season is down the pan unless a miracle occurs.

In the long term it won't make a difference, the underlying problem will still be here..with his grand a day.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:00 pm

For the first time in a about 3yrs I watched a Walsall game (on TV), and to be honest,nothing has changed.I note that JW blamed bad defending as well as taking a fraction of the blame for himself.The thing that I can't get my head around is the fact that all the coaching staff incuding JW himself are ex defenders so at least,at the the very least, you would expect them to take full responsibility/blame for the standard of defending.He very often brags about the care he takes with each and every signing/loan signing,making sure they have the right attitude,personality ,playing skills and that they will definitely fit in to his system of playing.I think its time he ended his revolutionary football experiment,and either get back to basics,or admit he's failed miserably and do the decent thing .

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:15 pm

sid swifty wrote:For the first time in a about 3yrs I watched a Walsall game (on TV), and to be honest,nothing has changed.I note that JW blamed bad defending as well as taking a fraction of the blame for himself.The thing that I can't get my head around is the fact that all the coaching staff incuding JW himself are ex defenders so at least,at the the very least, you would expect them to take full responsibility/blame for the standard of defending.He very often brags about the care he takes with each and every signing/loan signing,making sure they have the right attitude,personality ,playing skills and that they will definitely fit in to his system of playing.I think its time he ended his revolutionary football experiment,and either get back to basics,or admit he's failed miserably and do the decent thing .

He hasn't managed to get the defence right for two years , despite the endless number of players and formations he has tried.

My only conclusion would be that the coaching is just not up to standard.

UTS Legend

Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:20 pm

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:31 pm

They've just dispatched Leeds.

Doesn't make our result seem quite as bad now, on paper anyway.

Whitters
Site Addict

Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:06 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:They've just dispatched Leeds.

All the excitement of the FA Cup this weekend except for us.
When did we last have an FA Cup run - was Pedagogue a grinning cherubic child in nappies when it happened?
Don't make excuses Saigon, in an industry which thrives on passion and excitement the club is running it's constantly dwindling fanbase into terminal apathy.
The punters know it's time for radical changes and have been saying so for years.
Is there enough passion left for a decent protest at least against part of the problem - the current management leading us bravely towards an ugly relegation kickfest?

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:17 pm

Whitters wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:They've just dispatched Leeds.

When did we last have an FA Cup run - was Pedagogue a grinning cherubic child in nappies when it happened?
Don't make excuses Saigon, in an industry which thrives on passion and excitement the club is running it's constantly dwindling fanbase into terminal apathy.
The punters know it's time for radical changes and have been saying so for years.
Is there enough passion left for a decent protest at least against part of the problem - the current management leading us bravely towards an ugly relegation kickfest?

Simply pointing out an indisputable fact - oh look Newport have just beaten Leeds rather than getting spannered 7-0 - they are not complete gash then.

It doesn't change anything to do with how we are run.

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:36 pm

Is there enough passion left for a decent protest at least against part of the problem - the current management leading us bravely towards an ugly relegation kickfest?[/quote]

With reference to a post on other thread I am glad I was around to see our great cup runs in 70's and 80's at least I have got fantastic memories, younger fans have nothing like it to remember.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:20 pm

Tottingham Hotspurts at the Bezla if we'd have made it.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:05 am

Shame no-one at the club seems to give a toss about the FA Cup. The reason I follow the Saddlers today is Alun Evans winner against Leicester in 1978.

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:14 pm

aaaae wrote:Shame no-one at the club seems to give a toss about the FA Cup. The reason I follow the Saddlers today is Alun Evans winner against Leicester in 1978.
Remember it well :D i was in the street end, didn't he have a big scar down the one side of his face? and did he get it in a bar brawl?

Kevlar
UTS Veteran

Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:42 pm

aaaae wrote: The reason I follow the Saddlers today is Alun Evans winner against Leicester in 1978.

I think that was that the match when a Leicester fan nipped over the wall and tackled Miah Dennehy.

Can anyone confirm , or have I dreamed it ?

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:02 am

chunkster wrote:
aaaae wrote:Shame no-one at the club seems to give a toss about the FA Cup. The reason I follow the Saddlers today is Alun Evans winner against Leicester in 1978.
Remember it well :D i was in the street end, didn't he have a big scar down the one side of his face? and did he get it in a bar brawl?

Me too, on the wall at the front, slightly to the right of the goal as we looked at the pitch. Had a perfect view of the winner as Evans flicked it over his head and volleyed it into the goal!! Don;t remember his scar or bar brawl though :-)

Kevlar
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:40 pm

Newport playing damn well against Totnum.

Fully deserve to be in front.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:53 pm

Kevlar wrote:Newport playing damn well against Totnum.

Fully deserve to be in front.
They were fantastic, and fully deserve a replay at wembley, i just hope THEY turn up cus we da :wink:

PreviousNext
Return to 2017-18 Season