Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Newport County (A) F.A.Cup Nov 4th, 5.15pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Re: Newport County (A) F.A.Cup Nov 4th, 5.15pm

Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:48 am

Do the Walsall players and staff look at this and feel any hint of regret I wonder. I can't imaging they do given the half arsed cup performances they serve up year in year out these days. I think footballers probably have (and probably need) bullet proof egos, where nothing is ever their fault.

There are the odd exceptions, but I imagine for most the only time they take a long hard look at themselves in the mirror is to gaze upon their latest tattoo.

coop63
Glitterati

Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:22 pm

aaaae wrote:Do the Walsall players and staff look at this and feel any hint of regret I wonder. I can't imaging they do given the half arsed cup performances they serve up year in year out these days. I think footballers probably have (and probably need) bullet proof egos, where nothing is ever their fault.

There are the odd exceptions, but I imagine for most the only time they take a long hard look at themselves in the mirror is to gaze upon their latest tattoo.

Lol - I guess we’d all hope they do reflect but obviously the coaches and management are paid to keep them positive and well motivated etc which is why our current situation is so crap!

Surprising really because with a bit of chest pumping and self assertiveness (certainly in front of the press), we were led to believe that we had our own, very well ‘tuned-in’ Mr Motivator - what’s going wrong then Jon???

UTS

Whitters
Site Addict

Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:36 am

According to the Guardian: "Newport can look forward to a windfall of up to £1m from their FA Cup escapades. Not bad for a city that up until 2010, according to Goldie Lookin’ Chain (local band), didn’t even have a Pizza Hut."

That would have bought at least one end or side of the ground for WFC.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:19 am

They've done really well and good luck to them.

I can't remember the last time we had a decent cup run, barring the Tin Pot doings.

I suppose the memories of Watford, Coventry, Arsenal, Rotherham, Liverpool etc will have to sustain us.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:25 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:They've done really well and good luck to them.

I can't remember the last time we had a decent cup run, barring the Tin Pot doings.

I suppose the memories of Watford, Coventry, Arsenal, Rotherham, Liverpool etc will have to sustain us.

Pretty sure I heard Newport had made 900k off the back of their cup run , think Jeff is missing a trick here :D

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:13 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:They've done really well and good luck to them.

Walsall got as far as Newport did two years ago.

Of coursing losing to Reading 4-0 at a half empty soulless stadium in the middle of nowhere isn't as memorable as going out at Wembley.

Previous
Return to 2017-18 Season