Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Southend United (H) League One, 28th Oct 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
chunkster
Site Addict

Re: Southend United (H) League One, 28th Oct 3pm

Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:20 pm

You could hear the "we want whitney out" chants at the end of the game, but i can't see it happening to be honest, not unless we are in danger of going down :|

UTS Legend

Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:20 pm

England 5-2 up in the World Cup final after being 2-0 down. :D

U-17s, of course.
Last edited by Guest on Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:21 pm

Guest wrote:England 4-2 up in the World Cup final after being 2-0 down. :D

U-17s, of course.

5-2

chunkster
Site Addict

Guest wrote:England 4-2 up in the World Cup final after being 2-0 down. :

U-17s, of course.
5-2 now :D
Last edited by chunkster on Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yoda
Site Addict

Ancient Moaner wrote:Four points off the relegation zone....come on usual suspects...defend todays abomination why don't you, we need a laugh!

Methinks not many will make the journey to Newport somehow.

I find it quite jarring you're so excited your team lost.

Honest question - do enjoy picking arguments on the Internet more than you enjoy following football/Walsall as a pastime?

UTS Legend

Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:28 pm

chunkster wrote:
Guest wrote:England 4-2 up in the World Cup final after being 2-0 down. :

U-17s, of course.
5-2 now :D

Yes, I noticed. That's how it finished.

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:28 pm

theres no excuse for that pile of garbage utter shambles from start to finish
their physio covered more ground than our players so embarrassed to be a Walsall fan tonight
if this isn't the time for him to go then I don't know when is this is becoming the worst period of football for 20 years
I can take being beaten but I cant take the hoofing up to our 5ft player whilst bakayoko runs away from the ball.
I cant think what on earth the board must think whist watching that.
be interesting if they sold earlybirds in November how many would renew because I wouldn't under this manager.
whitney youre a nice bloke do the honourable thing and resign give this season a chance.

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:33 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
swampysaddler wrote:Cue WalsallOne, Optimistic, El-Nombre etc etc we were unlucky.
Referee was the worst ever seen, wind flowing in the wrong direction, Whitney didn't wave. You know the rest.

We do mate! See what excuses they can come up with today?

I may as well kill two birds with one stone.

I say it as it is Swampy and the performance today was very poor, just because I have a more reasonable expectation than some does not mean I watch a different match to everyone else. I still think we will finish top half.

As for AM you were clearly not there because Baka looked decent, he worked hard, was winning all the headers and his skill and effort towards the end near the corner and along the byline was excellent. When he went off and Agyei came on we looked worse and I don't think we won a single header upfront.

m&m
Glitterati

Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:43 pm

That was quite frankly atrocious.
It reminded me of how bad we were mid 90’s in the 4th division.
Hoof ball played by untalented cloggers.

How things have changed in 18 months.

I can’t wait hear the latest deluded garbage to be spouted from the so called manager.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:45 pm

Normal service resumes.

Whitney Out.

Michal
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:47 pm

I have to admit, that's my fault. After latest Windows update I've lost access to live video from games. And during Doncaster match I thought that's technical problems, one-time only. Today still no video, little chat with helpful IFollow Support, I switched web browser, video returned, Walsall conceded, order is restored I would say. And as I told, my fault. Who else can be responsible for this very average game. The gaffer? No, he's not a miracle maker. But I would say a little bit of tactical nous would help. A little.

Gripper
Glitterati

Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:48 pm

We were that bad I didn't want us to score at the end as we would've robbed Southend who by the way were also barclays.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:49 pm

Pathetic hoofball, relegation performance. Several reliable players didn't seem bothered today. Whitless has got to go asap.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:52 pm

yoda wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:Four points off the relegation zone....come on usual suspects...defend todays abomination why don't you, we need a laugh!

I find it quite jarring you're so excited your team lost.

Honest question - do enjoy picking arguments on the Internet more than you enjoy following football/Walsall as a pastime?

Just saying...................., If Donny hadn't gifted us with 3 points last weekend, we would be only 1 point above the zone.
I am certainly not happy that MY team have lost a game and find it insulting that you think that, what I can't tolerate is the constant defence of the 'management' of MY club, who seem intent on destroying it's very fabric by default.
If you think 'I' pick arguments by posting quite ordinary comments after a defeat you have lived a sheltered life!

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:52 pm

Dont worry folks, he’s still learning

:lol: :roll:

Fish
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:54 pm

El_Nombre wrote:

....but what has 4 points off relegation got to do with anything?

Errr. It means that we're 4 points off the relegation zone!

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:59 pm

Fish wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:

....but what has 4 points off relegation got to do with anything?

Errr. It means that we're 4 points off the relegation zone!

Maybe instead of taking what I said out of context you can actually reference the whole thing. Anything I would reply to you with is in my original post. Although I suspect that’s why you took my quote out of context in the first place anyway.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:02 pm

Defend that happy clappers.

Doncaster was a fluke. Southend had picked up 4 points on the road all season and we go and lose to them. With home home record now gone Whitney has NOTHING to hold onto. He needs to go now.

Walsall’s identity is a thing of the past now. We are absolutely horrible to watch.

Tom_1992
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:03 pm

Another insipid performance under Jon Whitney. Once again question marks start with the line-up before a ball has been kicked as, after declaring a 'fully-fit squad', Cuvelier is missing, and we resort to 3 centre halves with Donnellan somehow playing in place of Kory Roberts.

Anyway, on to the match itself. The first-half was again an absolute joke of a performance. We've got two of the most talented footballers in the division, in Oztumer and T.Roberts, why on earth are we not playing to our strengths and keeping the ball on floor and letting their quality shine through? Instead, we're subjected to abject long-balls to Bakayoko who actually tried his heart out but is sadly lacking in quality. Edwards and Chambers struggled to get to grips with the Southend midfield four, which again raises more tactical questions, and Leahy & Kinsella were pinned back in their own half by Demetriou bombing forward from right back and Kightly on the left. Their goal came via a catalogue of defensive errors and just summed up the lacklustre nature of the game.

The second half was marginally better, but only because Southend sat deep and invited us onto them, even so we created very few goal scoring opportunities. Seeing Kieron Morris finish the game at left-back only highlighted the disjointed nature of the whole performance.

It was only a matter of time before the first half performances against MK, Doncaster and others translated into 90 minutes of dirge, and today was the day.

Newport next week is massive for Jon Whitney.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:36 pm

Same old awful team selections, awful performances, awful patterns of play, awful tripe post match. Fans actually stuck with the team and Whitney for much longer than I was expecting as well.

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:45 pm

Shite from start to finish.

No tactics, no team work, little fight, hoofball.... lets keep him in charge because he's a good servant etc etc etc. Ok, so we won last week but we were lucky to do so and I can only think its people who aren't attending matches who are defending JW now.

Baka got some stick today, but for me the defenders warrant it far more. Three crap centre halves and wing backs who cant defend.

He won't go, and they wont get rid, so its going to be plenty more dull Saturday afternoons until May. Feel sorry for the likes of Ozzy and T.Roberts who have so much ability but are being coached by idiots.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:57 pm

kshammer wrote:Shite from start to finish.

No tactics, no team work, little fight, hoofball.... lets keep him in charge because he's a good servant etc etc etc. Ok, so we won last week but we were lucky to do so and I can only think its people who aren't attending matches who are defending JW now.

Baka got some stick today, but for me the defenders warrant it far more. Three crap centre halves and wing backs who cant defend.

He won't go, and they wont get rid, so its going to be plenty more dull Saturday afternoons until May. Feel sorry for the likes of Ozzy and T.Roberts who have so much ability but are being coached by idiots.

Newport is perhaps a defining moment, a win will result in us having the guy in charge for the rest of this already written off season. If we were to lose (God forbid), even the most staunch of his protectors on our Board would find it hard to defend him any longer, though who our Lord & Master would chose to replace him (that was as cheap) could be an even worse scenario.

saddlertd
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:00 pm

Glad I didn’t bother making the 50 mile round trip to watch that by the sounds of the comments made on here. I can’t understand how a team with Ozzie and Tyler Roberts cannot fashion at least one decent chance in 90 minutes. I think it’s inevitable that we will lose both in January and I think we should cash in on Ozzie as he won’t re-sign for next season. We then need to sign a decent right-back and at least one wide-player and play 4-4-2. I think we should seriously consider starting Mitch Candlin if Tyler R goes. We should also start playing Kory R as he currently looks out best defender. We must also look to offload Jackson in January as he is just taking a wage for nowt in return. I’m not in the Whitney out camp just yet - the real villain of the piece is our “Number 1 fan (I’ll have a grand a day ta) Bonser”. But, John needs to sort out his formation and tactics PDQ.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:03 pm

Some people seem to want my views on that...well we were very poor. The goal was a joke and was made by a number of errors from our players.
The mistakes started before we kicked off ....yet another change in formation...no wonder the players were so bad in the first half...no one seemed to know what they were doing.
I will reiterate a point I have made many times before players at our level are not good enough for the Manager to keep changing systems. As Ray Graydon said at his first meet the Manager evening.."We will play a 4-4-2 formation and you won't find me changing that"..Now the formation does not need to be 4-4-2 but it should be the same each week.
I fear for us at Newport next week(I cannot believe I have just typed that!) and if we lose I think that JW is very much on borrowed time.Today showed that we are not getting better and although some of us are more patient than others even my patience is wearing thin.

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:11 pm

i said a few weeks ago on here that if the draws started t turn into defeats then were in for a long season and that's exactly whats happened today

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:16 pm

The absolute shite being spouted by Whitney is sickening, like here ...

https://twitter.com/saddlersstats/status/924327534560464896

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:20 pm

Walsallone wrote:Some people seem to want my views on that...well we were very poor. The goal was a joke and was made by a number of errors from our players.
The mistakes started before we kicked off ....yet another change in formation...no wonder the players were so bad in the first half...no one seemed to know what they were doing.
I will reiterate a point I have made many times before players at our level are not good enough for the Manager to keep changing systems. As Ray Graydon said at his first meet the Manager evening.."We will play a 4-4-2 formation and you won't find me changing that"..Now the formation does not need to be 4-4-2 but it should be the same each week.
I fear for us at Newport next week(I cannot believe I have just typed that!) and if we lose I think that JW is very much on borrowed time.Today showed that we are not getting better and although some of us are more patient than others even my patience is wearing thin.

FINALLY

ToeJoe Jnr
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:21 pm

I understand that when the players cross the white line it is up to them to put a shift and performance in, and today they didn’t. We play a back 5 where two are inexperienced, one is a league 2 player at best, one plays like a part-timer and one who should have more quality and lead from the front but doesn’t. Coupled with a keeper that doesn’t command his box you can see why we ship goals constantly.

Our midfield is workman like but the amount of times opposition players ghost straight through the middle doesn’t help our already weak defence. Given their workman like existence they are incapable of creating anything. Otztumer is our stand out player yet he looks a shadow of what he was like last season.

Up front Roberts stands out as the quality within the team but often overplays with the ball. However if I was in the same position and saw Otztumer gagged by two opposition players I would probably go it alone than pass it to anyone else for it to go all the way back to Gillespie! Bakayoko is a trier but chasing one ball down into a corner every match isn’t enough to warrant a starting position, although in fairness Ageyi was rubbish when he came on.

While players are culpable for their performance we can’t get away from the fact that it is the manager who is responsible for setting the culture, formation, tactics, style of football. On this front Whitney is failing. He has amassed a squad of players that aren’t responding to what he wants with results. Remember he talks about the attention to detail gone through before each player is recruited. Added to this lack of in game management, bizarre substitutions and post match delusional comments all means one thing, it is time for a change and he can take Sharps with him as well.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:35 pm

What i can't understand is what is whitney witnessing in training when he says we have been fantastic or words to that effect ???

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:45 pm

FINALLY says SCOTT POWELL ....have you seen my recent posts on the match threads! I have also commented a number of times that JW is not the best or the worst I have seen and that is still true after today BUT the direction of travel is not encouraging...the fact is our performances are getting worse(at home anyway) and that is not good for the fans, the team or the Manager. The next few matches will be crucial to his survival.

PreviousNext
Return to 2017-18 Season