Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Southend United (H) League One, 28th Oct 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Exile
Jobsworth

Re: Southend United (H) League One, 28th Oct 3pm

Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:23 pm

I'm absolutely disappointed that people are calling for the manager's head at the end of November, after our FIRST home defeat of the season, and on the back of a 3-0 away win.

:wink:

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:51 pm

Exile wrote:I'm absolutely disappointed that people are calling for the manager's head at the end of November, after our FIRST home defeat of the season, and on the back of a 3-0 away win.

:wink:

Happy clapper :D

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:47 am

As bad as Hutchings and Barnwell.....

Get rid while we have time

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:02 am

Cheesebag wrote:As bad as Hutchings and Barnwell

Actually, Uncle Jeff described Chris Hutchings as "the best manager we've had at Walsall F.C." (q.v.).

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:39 am

yoda wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:
(Despite Yoda's comments).

Hey man, my post was never meant with any malice. Like I said, it was an honest question rather than a 'jab' or point scoring.

I spend less time on this forum because of this 'with us or against us' mentality that groups everyone into 2 camps. Despite the fact everyone seems to agree it's not good enough at the moment, the forum seems to be looking for reasons to argue.

I thought it was a fair question based on the fact that the 3 posts you made since half-time all referenced 'the other side' (ie the camp that you see as disagreeing with you). As you get older your priorities change (I now have pastimes I enjoy more than watching Walsall fc) and I'm just trying to gauge how much of the board these days is here to argue and how much is here to constructively talk Walsall Fc. I apologise if this offended you in some way.

That's fine my friend, very eloquent reasoning. Be it my own fault, unlike yourself, you lucky bugga! I cannot get my beloved team from beneath my feet even after continuously being, to my own detriment, passionate about my team in red for over 55+ years. Saturdays, and the occasional Tuesday evenings, are what I live for.....as well as Frostyjacks!! :D :D
I hate arguments on here, it just shows how the rubbish we are being subjected too, is unfortunately forcing UTS'ers into 'camps', calling each other names and generally sniping. This is a direct result of us all being so disgusted with the lack of action from our board, who seem perfectly prepared to let this farce continue until it may be too late.

Walsall_Casual
Glitterati

Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:50 pm

Complete garbage from start to finish.

The longer Whitney stays in charge, the less likely we have any positive to play for this season. This is the reality my friends, otherwise Bonser would have acted by now. This will inevitably bring to an end my commitment to Walsall FC, following almost 20 years as a season ticket holder. I've had enough now, along with so much others.

WFC Steve

Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:01 pm

Its been a while since i posted, and ive been meaning to post following Saturday's debacle but today is the first chance that i've had.

As has already been mentioned, the performance on Saturday was absolute garbage. No game plan, no formation, no understanding and very little effort. Southend must be the most negative, 'spoiling' team i have ever seen - but what is even more disappointing is that neither the referee or JW made any attempt to address the issue.

We had two 'wingbacks' that never got over the half way line, Ozzy was man marked out of the game (perhaps he should see what Messi does to counteract the same issue??) and two defensive midfielders that seem to do neither job. I feel sorry for both the Roberts' - Kory keeps performing well and getting loads of plaudits just to get dropped again, and then Tyler who looked to have the cetnre halves on toast was doing most of his stuff on the half way line.

You dont have to have the best players to win stuff - what you do need is a style and way of playing and a TEAM that buys in to that way of playing.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:08 pm

Walsall_Casual wrote:Complete garbage from start to finish.

The longer Whitney stays in charge, the less likely we have any positive to play for this season. This is the reality my friends, otherwise Bonser would have acted by now. This will inevitably bring to an end my commitment to Walsall FC, following almost 20 years as a season ticket holder. I've had enough now, along with so much others.

THIS! two of our four aren't bothered this season that's on top of the two Uni lads that don't come anymore either.... I think when it comes to earlybird time he will see the damage done

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:51 pm

Cheesebag wrote:
Walsall_Casual wrote:Complete garbage from start to finish.

THIS! two of our four aren't bothered this season that's on top of the two Uni lads that don't come anymore either.... I think when it comes to earlybird time he will see the damage done

The only thing I look forward too on matchdays now is meeting long-standing friends and having a few pints. The football is all too often the lowlight of the afternoon.

I think I might try to convince them we should all meet up every other Saturday in a Walsall hostelry and leave out the boring, pointless bit. I doubt Bonser would worry too much about losing the income of 5 or 6 season tickets, he'd probably still just about manage to put food on the table.

Whitters
Site Addict

Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:54 pm

WFC Steve wrote:Ozzy was man marked out of the game (perhaps he should see what Messi does to counteract the same issue??)
If a player is man marked he should pick an opposition player to man mark, thus taking 2 of their players out of the game.

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:00 pm

Whitters wrote:
WFC Steve wrote:Ozzy was man marked out of the game (perhaps he should see what Messi does to counteract the same issue??)
If a player is man marked he should pick an opposition player to man mark, thus taking 2 of their players out of the game.

I just hope Whitney isn't reading this thread, he might start picking up tips on strategy, and that could lead to us starting to play decent football thereby saving his job :mrgreen:

Whitters
Site Addict

Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:28 am

chunkster wrote:
Whitters wrote:

I just hope Whitney isn't reading this thread, he might start picking up tips on strategy, and that could lead to us starting to play decent football thereby saving his job :mrgreen:

Right - we're on a roll then.
If you decide to man mark, put your worst player on their best player.
Works every time in 5-a-side....

Previous
Return to 2017-18 Season