Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Doncaster Rovers (A) League One, 21st Oct, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Re: Doncaster Rovers (A) League One, 21st Oct, 3pm

Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:14 pm

scott_powell wrote:
Soton Saddler wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
Soton Saddler wrote:Well done Whitney, hopefully go on a bit of a run now. Still can't believe just how negative some of our fans are towards Whitters, if I was a player like Oztumer and had to listen to our fans week in week out then come the end of my contract, regardless of money, I'd be off.
Hilariously these fans berate the players when they leave Walsall too...

Up The Saddlers!!

You can't believe how negative they are?! Before today no clean sheets this season. Terrible football. 4wins in 23 games. We were averaging to hit 51 points this season. That'd probably land us around 20th, possibly lower.

One win. That is it. Wind your neck in.

See the wins got you a bit riled up. Ego bruised?

4 defeats in the league this season.... same as 3rd placed Bradford, 4 pts off playoffs. Neck fully out - get in the sea.

Riled up? Ego bruised?

I literally stated how I was happy with the win you [post moderated]. I also stated how you lot have come out the woodwork after one victory.

[post moderated] ain't ya.

So what you're saying is you're not riled up? ....it doesn't really feel that way....

Anyway glad you're happy with the win - hate to see what you're like when you're unhappy and riled up.

Up The Saddlers!!

UTS Legend

Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:53 am

Whitters
Site Addict

Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:57 am

Thanks Guest for the video!!!

A great win!

So, the players didn't celebrate the goals with the fans according to the reports above?

The fans spend their money traveling all over and don't even get acknowledged?

If this is true it's a bit poor.
Ok I can understand the siege mentality lately because of the stuff written on here and elsewhere but come on lads we're all in this together.

A friend of mine is a Chesterfield fan.
Bottom of the bottom division they took 400-odd to their game at Cambridge.
That's 10%+ of their home attendance.

What's our percentage? Less than that I'll wager.

Good win lads, but come on, it's your support.
You've made your point now.
Celebrate with them even though some of them are nutters.

You could even do it sarcastically, only a few would pick up on it.

UTS Legend

Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:22 am

Ancient Moaner wrote:Will some please tell me why Donny didn't turn up for the second half?

Had to leave at half time, the wife wanting an expensive Miller & Carter steak meal just cus she's turned 65! Bloomin heck the best I could manage when I was 65 was a fortnight in Florida! Women eh! :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

So what happened? At half time we were heading for another defeat and a place just above the relegation zone............then ZAPP.....whodathunk it eh?

If you read this, AM, you will find that superstar Baka almost single-handedly won the game for us.

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/fo ... nsive-win/

UTS Legend

Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:32 am

Marquis misses, JW saved.

https://youtu.be/byf_ngBPavY

That miss and the goals on Channel 5:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1yWD- ... p=drivesdk

Micky Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:25 am

Cowshed wrote: The Whitney out chants were mainly from around 15 fans at the back who had a Whitney out banner. At 3 nil up though they looked like they had turned up dressed for a fancy dress party that was not fancy dress. Just a little bit embarrassing really poor souls

UTS

Accurate :lol:

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:46 am

I woke up this morning to find that there must be an epidemic of dementia in Walsall SWAMPY as I read the comments from those who went. Clearly we have in our core a few people whose hatred for JW is clouding their judgement and I don't blame the players for ignoring them. Anyway it was good to see the goals and although they all came from Doncaster errors the 2nd and 3rd goals were well set up and put away. The runs and passes from Edwards and Bakayoko were a joy to behold so lads more of the same next week please.

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:23 am

Yeah I woke up this morning and was shocked to discover we had only played 15 league games this season!

Current form for those thickies that think we've played 23 games this season - LWDDWLLDWDLDDDW 19 points from 15 games.

I'm here to help :idea:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:34 am

Cully wrote:Yeah I woke up this morning and was shocked to discover we had only played 15 league games this season!

Current form for those thickies that think we've played 23 games this season - LWDDWLLDWDLDDDW 19 points from 15 games.

Thanks Cully. How was the waving and general use of grammar yesterday? Asking for a friend.

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:48 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:
Cully wrote:Yeah I woke up this morning and was shocked to discover we had only played 15 league games this season!

Thanks Cully. How was the waving and general use of grammar yesterday? Asking for a friend.

Thankfully there was a total absense of waving but I have to report that I spotted him [Whitney] engaging in a rather intimidating round of applause with the players in the centre circle. Unfortunately I couldn't hear his use of the past participles being used as adjectives in his team talk but I'm absolutely certain he probably in all likehood used a few conjuctive adverbs from his lofty position at the side of the pitch. I feel sorry for those in ear shot who had to suffer the absolute horror of such misuse of the English language, may God save their souls.

:D

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:50 am

Are you forgetting the 10 final games of last season without win?

I’m also here too help

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:57 am

bleed_red_n_white wrote:

I’m also here too help

Becoming increasingly less relevant.

Free Helpfact :arrow: We beat Swindon 5-0 away once in the 1980s.

saddla
Site Addict

Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:01 am

bleed_red_n_white wrote:

I’m also here too help

I've tried to make the post a bit more clear for you. Also I don't know if you are aware but the EFL only take a current season into account when deciding on promotion and relegation. :roll:
Last edited by saddla on Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:05 am

Micky Saddler wrote:
Cowshed wrote: The Whitney out chants were mainly from around 15 fans at the back who had a Whitney out banner. At 3 nil up though they looked like they had turned up dressed for a fancy dress party that was not fancy dress. Just a little bit embarrassing really poor souls

UTS

Accurate :lol:

What a bunch of numpties. Spending all that cash on getting there and end up making pratts of themselves. Did they manage to spell "Whitney Out" correctly?

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:22 am

Overjoyed by the win yesterday. But it doesn't disguise the fact that Whitney is a piss poor manager and that this is our final end of year position if we're lucky.

From what I heard of yesterday, starting the game by chanting for his head is moronic. In the end, if you're a proper fan you should want your team to win under basically any circumstances and creating a poisonous atmosphere before the game even starts beggars belief. The only thing that can justify this is the sort of Blackpool/Cov scenario and we aint there yet (though our owner could create this type of situation in the future imo). When he fudge up yet again during a game, I'll be calling for his head - and if he's setting the team up as martyrs when fans call for him to get the chop is even more retarded than I'd think him capable of.

Whitney is an excuse for a manager and we are certainly on the road to nowhere under his mismanagement. The football is piss poor to watch, he can't decide on tactics/formation/team selection (reminds me of random picks I make on Football Manager) and has no idea on how to change a game against semi-competent opposition who don't do exactly what he expects them to do. Comfortably our worst manager since Hutchings.

The General
UTS Regular

Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:36 am

A big well done to JW and the lads.A fair number of people on here have a negative mentality and even when congratulations are due manage to try and still make things fit their agenda.
When we don't win everyone connected with the club is rubbish and when we do win the opposition is terrible..A more balanced view would be far more helpful.Good supporters are positive during a match and give the players 100 per cent support.We have a vocal minority who do nothing for anyone's morale and they are the first to moan when players leave.Who given a choice would want to play in such a negative environment
JW has made some mistakes and I have not been his biggest fan but when the guy gets it right be big enough to recognise that.What we should never doubt is that over a long period he has given everything to the club and it is a great pity that some so called fans feel unable to do the same.

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:12 am

scott_powell wrote:
Optimistic wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:Will some please tell me why Donny didn't turn up for the second half?

Had to leave at half time, the wife wanting an expensive Miller & Carter steak meal just cus she's turned 65! Bloomin heck the best I could manage when I was 65 was a fortnight in Florida! Women eh! :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

So what happened? At half time we were heading for another defeat and a place just above the relegation zone............then ZAPP.....whodathunk it eh?

Scott apparently.

What are you talking about you prick?

Let me explain Scott. AM was surprised that we won 3 -0 after drawing 0-0 at half time and asked whodathunk it eh? meaning who would have thought that we would win 3-0 in the end. Reading the thread I knew that you appeared to expect a win as it was a must win game. You made that point clear.

Therefore I think my post was reasonable on a football forum where banter between fans with different opinions is expected. I very often have very differences of opinion with AM but its all very friendly stuff.

However, I find your post above both insulting and aggressive. In fact you tend to do this on numerous accessions with different posters if they do not agree with you or engage in banter and I note a recent post has been severely moderated. It appears that you are quite happy to call people any name you choose and ridicule them for have a different opinion to you but you cannot take the slightest criticism or adverse reply.

You even threatened to turn up at a match and chant 'Whitney out' to spoil my day. I would be surprised if you are not a leading figure at matches chanting 'Whitney out' and turning players against the fans.

What is your problem Scott, why do you have to be so aggressive in your replies? I think an apology for the above post would be in order.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:57 am

Optimistic wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
Optimistic wrote:

Scott apparently.

Let me explain Scott. AM was surprised that we won 3 -0 after drawing 0-0 at half time and asked whodathunk it eh? meaning who would have thought that we would win 3-0 in the end. Reading the thread I knew that you appeared to expect a win as it was a must win game. You made that point clear.

Therefore I think my post was reasonable on a football forum where banter between fans with different opinions is expected. I very often have very differences of opinion with AM but its all very friendly stuff.

However, I find your post above both insulting and aggressive. In fact you tend to do this on numerous accessions with different posters if they do not agree with you or engage in banter and I note a recent post has been severely moderated. It appears that you are quite happy to call people any name you choose and ridicule them for have a different opinion to you but you cannot take the slightest criticism or adverse reply.

You even threatened to turn up at a match and chant 'Whitney out' to spoil my day. I would be surprised if you are not a leading figure at matches chanting 'Whitney out' and turning players against the fans.

What is your problem Scott, why do you have to be so aggressive in your replies? I think an apology for the above post would be in order.

Cry me a river. It's a word, get over it.

Anyway, chuffed with yesterday's victory!! Superb result and credit where it's due.

Whitney Out.

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:00 am

Optimistic wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
Optimistic wrote:

Had to leave at half time, the wife wanting an expensive Miller & Carter steak meal just cus she's turned 65! Bloomin heck the best I could manage when I pp was 65 was a fortnight in Florida! Women eh! :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

Scott apparently.

Scott was at the forefront of the admirable campaign to move the singing section up to the Tile Choice stand. Unfortunately, it turns out that he only sings when he's winning.

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:11 am

Yesterday's game just shows what a fine line there is between success and failure. Their number 9 must have had a sleepless night as that chance he missed kept going round & round in his head. At half time I thought there was only going to be one winner and it wasn't us, but who could have predicted their number 15 would try and shepherd the ball out for a goal kick instead of booting it out. Thanks to the persistence of Tyler Roberts we were on our way. The further goals plus the tiresome chanting made the whole experience slightly unreal.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:13 am

DonningtonSaddler wrote:
Optimistic wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
Optimistic wrote:

Had to leave at half time, the wife wanting an expensive Miller & Carter steak meal just cus she's turned 65! Bloomin heck the best I could manage when I pp was 65 was a fortnight in Florida! Women eh! :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

Scott apparently.

Scott was at the forefront of the admirable campaign to move the singing section up to the Tile Choice stand. Unfortunately, it turns out that he only sings when he's winning.

Singing "Whitney out" is still singing regardless of whether you're winning or not. Have a nice day

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:44 am

cookyskid wrote:A poor first half with both sides failing miserably to cope with admittedly difficult conditions. Second half we were the better side, the turning point was Terry Lobsters persistence in chasing a seemingly lost cause to dispossess the Doncaster defender and lay it on a plate for Oztumer. after that we played well and deserved the win. So much for the game.

But as others have said the attitude of about 20 complete arseholes at the back of the stand really soured the atmosphere. I can fully understand and to some extent sympathise with the view that Whitney is not doing a great job - I much preferred the style of football played towards the end of Smith's tenure to the more "industrial" approach JW seems to favour. But to start the "Whitney Out" chants, not after 5 minutes as someone else has said, but 4 minutes before[u][b][/u][/b] kick-off beggars belief. Then to keep chanting it, and worse, throughout the game, even when winning 3-0 away is just (as someone else has said) surreal. These idiots clearly had a script they were following which was totally unrelated to what they were seeing on the pitch, if indeed they were actually watching the match. Nor was their vitriol aimed just at the manager, the repeated chants of "were fudge cack" were certainly a novel way of showing their support for the team.

The encouraging thing is that they were only about 20 or so out of the 300+ there. Plenty around me were as pissed off with them as I was. Its just a shame to see all that DNA going to waste on these morons

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:49 am

reedswood sadler wrote:
cookyskid wrote:A poor first half with both sides failing miserably to cope with admittedly difficult conditions. Second half we were the better side, the turning point was Terry Lobsters persistence in chasing a seemingly lost cause to dispossess the Doncaster defender and lay it on a plate for Oztumer. after that we played well and deserved the win. So much for the game.

But as others have said the attitude of about 20 complete arseholes at the back of the stand really soured the atmosphere. I can fully understand and to some extent sympathise with the view that Whitney is not doing a great job - I much preferred the style of football played towards the end of Smith's tenure to the more "industrial" approach JW seems to favour. But to start the "Whitney Out" chants, not after 5 minutes as someone else has said, but 4 minutes before[u][b][/u][/b] kick-off beggars belief. Then to keep chanting it, and worse, throughout the game, even when winning 3-0 away is just (as someone else has said) surreal. These idiots clearly had a script they were following which was totally unrelated to what they were seeing on the pitch, if indeed they were actually watching the match. Nor was their vitriol aimed just at the manager, the repeated chants of "were fudge cack" were certainly a novel way of showing their support for the team.

The encouraging thing is that they were only about 20 or so out of the 300+ there. Plenty around me were as pissed off with them as I was. Its just a shame to see all that DNA going to waste on these morons

Good post sums up the feelings of most of us there,the first time that did a pro Walsall chant was when we were 3 goals up and the rest of the 300 cheered them but it made no difference went back to the abuse.

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:38 pm

Walsallone wrote:I woke up this morning to find that there must be an epidemic of dementia in Walsall SWAMPY as I read the comments from those who went. Clearly we have in our core a few people whose hatred for JW is clouding their judgement and I don't blame the players for ignoring them. Anyway it was good to see the goals and although they all came from Doncaster errors the 2nd and 3rd goals were well set up and put away. The runs and passes from Edwards and Bakayoko were a joy to behold so lads more of the same next week please.

As I have already said "well done for yesterday and I am as pleased as any Walsall fan" but one win doesn't make a season.
Yes it was a good solid away win, and we kept a clean sheet.
But when you come on here calling people who attend away games "idiots" from your armchair (your quote no-one else's "Well your mate must be a real idiot then....to suggest the Manager had nothing to do with the win is plain daft. If he gets blame for defeats he must get credit for wins. The first substitution was for an injury anyway!") , whilst sucking on your Wethers Originals, you must expect a backlash.
As I have stated numerous times I would rather take the opinion of someone in attendance than a happy clapper sat at home with a brew who can't see anything wrong whatsoever through their rose tinted glasses.
JW isn't, and never will be, a football club manager.
Good physio, maybe even a brilliant grave digger I don't know, but that is about his limits.
We shall see what occurs on Saturday against Southend and Newport in the cup. If the run and results continue in this vain then long may it continue and I will maybe admit I was wrong about JW (I wouldn't hold your breath though as I forecast another draw Sat and a first round exit at Newport).

ShyTallKnight
Glitterati

Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:43 pm

And we are now only 18 points behind Shrewsbury

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:13 pm

saddla wrote:
bleed_red_n_white wrote:

I’m also here too help

I've tried to make the post a bit more clear for you. Also I don't know if you are aware but the EFL only take a current season into account when deciding on promotion and relegation. :roll:

I was merely reminding you too why people are quoting 23 games instead of 15.

Not too whether it was relevant the games before this season should be taken into consideration or not.

I do apologise obviously my original post was clear enough for your intellect too realise what I was, again sorry for that.

Always here too help.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:26 pm

ShyTallKnight wrote:And we are now only 18 points behind Shrewsbury

It will be a lot closer than that end of season.

No way is Shrewsbury getting 80 + points end of the season.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:35 pm

Well SWAMPY my eyes function perfectly so I don't need large print :D Have you read the other comments on here about what happened yesterday. Those fans who were anti JW from the start have been called much worse than idiots but I seem to be the target for your wrath. Well I am not bothered at all.I have probably seen more away games than most on here and never in all those games have I heard a group of people chanting against the team from the first minute!! Word fail me....well they don't actually but I don't want to fall foul of the moderators.
You and all those who think like you need to get behind the team...you just never know if you do they might improve and surprise us all! Finally if you keep telling people they are no good they become no good . It is much better to accentuate the positives and that is why you will rarely see me criticising individual players who made their views plain yesterday.

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:09 pm

Walsallone wrote:Well SWAMPY my eyes function perfectly so I don't need large print :D Have you read the other comments on here about what happened yesterday. Those fans who were anti JW from the start have been called much worse than idiots but I seem to be the target for your wrath. Well I am not bothered at all.I have probably seen more away games than most on here and never in all those games have I heard a group of people chanting against the team from the first minute!! Word fail me....well they don't actually but I don't want to fall foul of the moderators.
You and all those who think like you need to get behind the team...you just never know if you do they might improve and surprise us all! Finally if you keep telling people they are no good they become no good . It is much better to accentuate the positives and that is why you will rarely see me criticising individual players who made their views plain yesterday.

There you go again. "I have blah blah blah".
You just can't help yourself can you ?
It doesn't matter if this Saturday is your first game ever attended or whether you have attended every game since the start of time.
I would bet the house on you was saying the same as you are now during the Mullen, Hutchings, Merson era's i.e give them time, I like what he is trying to do, I have attended 3627 games so your view opposing my fairytale view is irrelevant.
Last edited by Welsh_Saddler on Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Abuse and profanity.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:24 pm

swampysaddler wrote:It doesn't matter if this Saturday is your first game ever attended or whether you have attended every blooping game since the start of time.

I am delighted by this news and shall put it to good use, every time I am forcefully told that my opinion is inferior due to not being able to attend. :D

PreviousNext
Return to 2017-18 Season