Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Doncaster Rovers (A) League One, 21st Oct, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
BathSaddler
Site Addict

Re: Doncaster Rovers (A) League One, 21st Oct, 3pm

Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:41 pm

Whitney in or Whitney out I'm happy with that result :D

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:44 pm

Very poor first half, it was eerily similar to the first half vs MK with only a fantastic fingertip save and a awful miss from Marquis 3 seconds later the only thing keeping us from going in 1 nil down. Second half was much, much better and I've got to give Whitney props for that. We looked much more sound defensively and I was never worried about us conceding. Both Bakayoko and Oztumer were poor overall but they did a whole lot of running to protect their full backs which allowed us to counterattack. Our passing was awful throughout the match though and we used far too much the hoofball.

On the fans, I don't personally like having negative chants during the match - but initially the Whitney out chanting started relatively understandable, we were so bad first half and it felt like a continuation of the poor performances of recent games. But when second half that we started playing better and ended up grabbing the first goal, that is when you stop the Whitney out chants and support the lads, help them over the line - forget about Whitney completely until we have all 3 points. Then you voice your opinion.

Well done to the lads. My MOTM was tied between Chambers and Gillespie.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:47 pm

Yes but there was only one defeat in those 6 games at WIGAN and most of the other were against top teams. Anyway we will not agree about this..I see the season improving and you don't . We will see at Christmas who was right. Anyway I have no more time available to post on here as I have to go to bed early with me Horlicks :D

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:53 pm

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:54 pm

saddla wrote:I really believe we have turned into Dingles.
When you go 2-0 up away and the first chant that comes from the "fans" is we want Whitney out. Not a song for the lads but a negative chant against the manager.
At least when we got the 3rd scored by Morris and laid on by Bakayoko (the current boo boys) we did get a brief bit of support before the we want Whitney out chants started again.
Phone Franksy and say 'es gorroa gew Franksy and the transformation will be complete.
In contrast Doncaster who are suffering a dismal season supported their team vocally throughout the game. I did not hear 1 negative chant from them about Ferguson or the team. Although a good few did go home before the end when they were 3-0 down.

Clap Clap Clap (that's me away from home supporting the team after a 3-0 victory that takes us 4 points off the playoffs)

Amazing what happens when you're not playing the top five! :D

Great win and a much needed win. We still need to beat Sowfend for 8 points in 12 and I'm far from being an unqualified Whitney IN (and never have been), but ... I do detect movement in my Whitney transition zone. :wink:

PT
Site Addict

Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:58 pm

swampysaddler wrote:http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/competitions/league-one/11092575/doncaster-0-3-walsall

Nice to see us ruthlessly capitalising on poor defending.

One thing I noticed was that despite all three goals being scored at the end where our fans were, there was absolutely no interaction with the fans like there usually would be. I think Morris thought about it, but Roberts very quickly dis-abused him of any notion.

Was there any mutual love at the final whistle?

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:00 pm

cumbria-saddler wrote:Great result in the end. First half was just boring from both teams. We got in their half about twice, and they didn't look that good either. Second half, we were much improved, not great by any stretch, but we had more urgency about us, and more intent if you like.

Their defending was woeful for the first two goals. Credit to Tyler Roberts for winning the ball off their defender for the first and getting the ball towards Oztumer, and the second was almost identical finish for him. Glad Morris and Bakayoko were involved in the third too, will hopefully give them both confidence as they seem to get more stick than others when things don't come off for them. Thankfully we held out for the clean sheet, as when we were two up you still wouldn't feel confident if we let one in.

Gillespie made two great saves, one in the second, and especially the one in the first half that he tipped onto the post only for their striker to miss an open net from the rebound.

Thing I was most disappointed about today was the chanting from some of our fans. I get that some want Whitney out, and fair enough chant for that if you will when we're losing or even drawing (took 20 seconds into the game before the first we want whitney out), but when we are 2-0 or 3-0 up its a bit unfair. A lot of those wanting him out has said they'd be happy for him to prove you wrong by winning and improving our form, but what more could he have done today than to get his team to win 3-0 away? First half was rubbish, but we improved second half, and nothing wrong with his substitutions either for me.
On top of that, the insulting chants aimed at him are pathetic ('Whitney is a Scunthorpe' etc.), get a grip.
Fair play to the bloke sat near me shouting at those chanting when we were 2/3 up, theres a time and a place for chanting for him to go, and 3-0 away from home isn't it.

Pretty much how I saw it as well Cumbria and the group of aforementioned dimwits pretty much spoiled the afternoon for the majority of fans. They spent so much time chanting their witless bile there was hardly anything positive directed towards the players even booing when Flo went off injured to be replaced by Morris. Worst was someone calling Gutherie out as a cack player after only 5 minutes of the game - worst set of cack 'fans' I have ever witnessed.
It's a pity that entry to games isn't determined by a brain cell count, I doubt the entire group would stuggle to get into double figures.

Those that waited the whole 90 minutes for one of Whitneys famous 'sarcastic waves' will have left dissapointed because he stayed in the centre circle at the end clapping the players before sending them over to us for some well deserved but relieved applause.

We ay the best but we're never as bad as some would wish.

:D

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:02 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Donny message board (Viking Supporters Co-operative) ....... "losing 0-3 against easily the worst side that've played at the Keepmoat this season" :roll:

Sour grapes :lol: .

329 Saddlers there, btw.

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:15 pm

PT wrote:
swampysaddler wrote:http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/competitions/league-one/11092575/doncaster-0-3-walsall

Nice to see us ruthlessly capitalising on poor defending.

One thing I noticed was that despite all three goals being scored at the end where our fans were, there was absolutely no interaction with the fans like there usually would be. I think Morris thought about it, but Roberts very quickly dis-abused him of any notion.

Was there any mutual love at the final whistle?

Yes, it was apparent that the players were deliberately cool towards the fans, there is no doubt that they could hear the pathetic chanting and the abuse aimed at the usual players including Gutherie turning away when someone called him out as a cack player, it looks like they are sticking together and obviously resent the abuse suffered in the past few weeks in particular that aimed towards Morris and Bakayoko who despite running half the length of the pitch to chase down one of their players then got roundly abused for being lazy the next minute when he got a suicide pass off Ozzy.
At least at the end when Jon Whitney sent them over to the fans they got plenty of applause and appeared genuinely happy.

PT
Site Addict

Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:19 pm

Cully wrote:
cumbria-saddler wrote:Great result in the end. First half was just boring from both teams. We got in their half about twice, and they didn't look that good either. Second half, we were much improved, not great by any stretch, but we had more urgency about us, and more intent if you like.

Their defending was woeful for the first two goals. Credit to Tyler Roberts for winning the ball off their defender for the first and getting the ball towards Oztumer, and the second was almost identical finish for him. Glad Morris and Bakayoko were involved in the third too, will hopefully give them both confidence as they seem to get more stick than others when things don't come off for them. Thankfully we held out for the clean sheet, as when we were two up you still wouldn't feel confident if we let one in.

Gillespie made two great saves, one in the second, and especially the one in the first half that he tipped onto the post only for their striker to miss an open net from the rebound.

Thing I was most disappointed about today was the chanting from some of our fans. I get that some want Whitney out, and fair enough chant for that if you will when we're losing or even drawing (took 20 seconds into the game before the first we want whitney out), but when we are 2-0 or 3-0 up its a bit unfair. A lot of those wanting him out has said they'd be happy for him to prove you wrong by winning and improving our form, but what more could he have done today than to get his team to win 3-0 away? First half was rubbish, but we improved second half, and nothing wrong with his substitutions either for me.
On top of that, the insulting chants aimed at him are pathetic ('Whitney is a Scunthorpe' etc.), get a grip.
Fair play to the bloke sat near me shouting at those chanting when we were 2/3 up, theres a time and a place for chanting for him to go, and 3-0 away from home isn't it.

Pretty much how I saw it as well Cumbria and the group of aforementioned dimwits pretty much spoiled the afternoon for the majority of fans. They spent so much time chanting their witless bile there was hardly anything positive directed towards the players even booing when Flo went off injured to be replaced by Morris. Worst was someone calling Gutherie out as a cack player after only 5 minutes of the game - worst set of cack 'fans' I have ever witnessed.
It's a pity that entry to games isn't determined by a brain cell count, I doubt the entire group would stuggle to get into double figures.

Those that waited the whole 90 minutes for one of Whitneys famous 'sarcastic waves' will have left dissapointed because he stayed in the centre circle at the end clapping the players before sending them over to us for some well deserved but relieved applause.

We ay the best but we're never as bad as some would wish.

I wasn't there today but can absolutely sympathise with the sentiment in this.

I don't think Whitney has what it takes but I will still go to games urging the team to win and being as positive as possible.

Id love Whitney to take us forward, I don't think he can/will but if he did, I'd be chuffed to bits and happily say he proved me wrong. It feels like there are a few who for some reason just couldn't stand to be proved wrong and are turning every single thing that happens to justify their stance.

Which is bollocks to be honest and makes us look petty and very small- time.

Today is one swallow, so I shan't be declaring spring anytime soon. But I'll keep hoping and urging Whitney and the players on.

UTS.

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:30 pm

I suppose that other people will have noticed but apparently the real reason we won today was because the Whitney outs said that this was a 'must win game'.

That way you can always be right and the rest of us still be wrong* if you get my drift. I'd like to name it the 'Scott syndrome' :arrow: PERIOD

* catchall word to include any other opinion about Jon Whitneys ability as a manager. He's not the best is where I currently stand.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:43 pm

Cully wrote:I suppose that other people will have noticed but apparently the real reason we won today was because the Whitney outs said that this was a 'must win game'.

That way you can always be right and the rest of us still be wrong* if you get my drift. I'd like to name it the 'Scott syndrome' :arrow: PERIOD

* catchall word to include any other opinion about Jon Whitneys ability as a manager. He's not the best is where I currently stand.

No, it isn't. Idiot.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:46 pm

Most surrealist atmosphere I've ever witnessed at a game today.

In fairness I did say after the Wigan game the anti-Whitney fans need to be consistant and not just start chanting whenever Walsall go a goal down....well we certainly heard that today. :lol:

It was a poor game between two mid table teams. Was odd how Walsall could hardly string a shot or pass together for an hour and then were 3-0 up 15 minutes later but that's football.

What I don't understand is fans latching on to every single attack that breaks down, every single hoof that goes out of play and every single time Doncaster decided to cross the halfway line (they are the home team so are expected to attack) and decided that Whitney is the anti-christ and all manners of abuse should be hurled at him.

It actually makes it a bit hard to enjoy the win if fans are criticising everything every two minutes, so much negativity around today.

I actually lost it with one fan near the end who was chanting a "Whitney is a clown/we're going down to league 2." chant. Anyone who thinks this team is going to get relegated is nuts, there are about 10 worse teams in this division yet he was adamant when I dared to raise the point that Walsall weren't as bad as Plymouth.

As for the game two great composed finishes from Ozzy, even in games where he can't dominate he is just a class above imo with his football intelligence. Roberts did great for the first goal aswell closing down the CB. He is wasted in a hoofball team though so can see him going somewhere else in January. Nice to see Morris getting a goal. Lad has had a difficult 12 months but there is a good player there if used correctly.

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:47 pm

A great day out in the end ,first time to keepmoat a rare away win and an even rarer clean sheet.
I must admit I never saw that coming first half was terrible a poor game between 2 poor teams with no idea between them.Only highlight of first half was Gillespie palming shot onto post an donny striker missing open goal.After we took lead which was made by Roberts not giving up and keeping ball in play it was a different team and we went on to win easy.
A good 3 points but Donnny were poor and you can only beat what is in front of you.
Like others felt the non stop Whitney out was not helpful while I agree with them if you go to a game even more so away support the team for 90 mins and then let Whitney know.There was very little support even when 3-0 up and Andy Butler got more chants than any of our team.

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:47 pm

Probably the worst I've seen us play this year and Doncaster were the worst team I have seen at this level for a long time.

First half we couldn't get out of our half but I would say sixty per cent of the reason was due to the windy conditions

Second half we made the most of their mistakes rather than created openings but credit energetic displays from Roberts, Edwards and Baka.

Give ozzy the ball in the box with just the keeper to beat and you wait for the net to burst

I think Morris does best coming on when defenders are tired and took the goal well in front of the away support

We need to sort out the fullbacks kinsella was tenacious but in a back 4 him and Leahy are going to get murdered against half reasonable players.

The Whitney out chants were mainly from around 15 fans at the back who had a Whitney out banner. At 3 nil up though they looked like they had turned up dressed for a fancy dress party that was not fancy dress. Just a little bit embarrassing really poor souls

Nice to see the players fuss Whitney in the centre circle at the end

On today's performance the season could still go either way - roller coaster and tonight we're climbing.

UTS
Last edited by Cowshed on Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:48 pm

scott_powell wrote:
Cully wrote:I suppose that other people will have noticed but apparently the real reason we won today was because the Whitney outs said that this was a 'must win game'.

No, it isn't. Idiot.

It's actually because I was minded to agree with you. I'm not saying it was just this, but at least 100%. :wink:

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:00 pm

Oh btw it's not just Walsall fans who have odd issues with managers.

Caught the bus back to the station, full of Donny fans and a few of them were saying Fergie Jr out.

Then one of them piped up and said in full serious "we should appoint Neil Warnock."

That would be the same Neil Warnock who's in charge of a Cardiff team in automatic promotion spot to the premier league and he's going to give all that up to fight a league one relegation battle. Good chuckle I had to have under my breath at that. :mrgreen:

I think PT made the point well in one of his threads last week. The mentality of a football fan has changed now. I'd say due to the ridiculous prices everyone know has to pay to follow their team home and away.

The reality is only 2-3 clubs can be near the top of the league in any division so of the 92 clubs only about 20 can have really good seasons.

Of course the entertainment issue then gets trotted out. Well a manager is just as likely to get sacked if they're losing 3-2 every week so the reality is it's easier to step up teams to fight, scrap and nick draws and the odd win as Whitney is doing and to many people's disappointment he's still in a job.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:24 pm

You must've been right by me then as I am guessing you are on about the guy who turned round with about 10 minutes left and had a go with the cheerleaders at the back (he had a walking stick with him).

What I found bemusing is he was then happily talking to the bloke right behind who was starting the league 2 here we come chant. :lol:

It's a shame a good 3-0 away win has to be marred by this. A real shame as Whitney has been and continues to be a fantastic club servant even if the role of manager has been a bit too much for him.

He's hardly come in and taken the money like Merson, S O'D, Hutchings etc.

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:48 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:

You must've been right by me then as I am guessing you are on about the guy who turned round with about 10 minutes left and had a go with the cheerleaders at the back (he had a walking stick with him).

What I found bemusing is he was then happily talking to the bloke right behind who was starting the league 2 here we come chant. :lol:

It's a shame a good 3-0 away win has to be marred by this. A real shame as Whitney has been and continues to be a fantastic club servant even if the role of manager has been a bit too much for him.

There was a geezer in a Parker singing the 'tavern in the town' song until he got a telling off from the guy who wears the massive knitted scarf with the players names on then he just shut up

Strange atmosphere in the crowd with a lot of eye rolling

The players definitely snubbed the fans on the goals

cumbria-saddler
Glitterati

Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:50 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:

Yep, that was the man. He's been sat by be for the past few away games I've been to. I was over the stairs and a few rows down from him. I heard him say he wants Whitney out too but that it was the wrong time and place, and he's right.

Whether people think he is or will be a half decent manager or not, I don't understand what chanting that he's a Scunthorpe achieves or why that is justified.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:06 pm

Cowshed wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:

There was a geezer in a Parker singing the 'tavern in the town' song until he got a telling off from the guy who wears the massive knitted scarf with the players names on then he just shut up

Yep that's the guy I had a sort of shout out with ten minutes from the end. He was convinced the team is league 2 bound so no real point trying to argue anything when he won't entertain any other point of view.

Gripper
Glitterati

Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:40 pm

Had a great day...however nice of the Whitney Out brigade to speak to the villa fans to share tips on how to paint a bed sheet. Pathetic. Some poor fudge will be sleeping on a bare mattress tonight...best of all they didn’t have the nerve to get it out until they walked to the station. Pathetic.

Tom_1992
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:43 pm

Strange game, with a 1st half that was very similar to Tuesday at MK Dons where we just seemed to camp on the edge of our 18 yard box and lump long balls up to the Bakayoko and Roberts. Unlike MK though, Donny were unable to take their one real opportunity as Marquis missed an open goal after a top class save from Gillespie. I genuinely believe we wouldn't have got more than a draw out of the game if that went in.

However, onto the 2nd half and we pressed a bit higher up the pitch with the front three of Roberts, Oztumer and Bakayoko all looking to nick the ball high up the pitch and counter. To be fair it worked a treat as this is pretty much how all three of our goals came about, turnovers in the Doncaster half and a lot of composure in front of goal to finish the chances.

Those who weren't there and are blindly supporting Whitney will obviously see this as a turning point, but I really don't think it's that simple and first half performances like we've seen in the last two games, will probably see us a couple down at half-time on future occasions. The formation seemed a bit odd, although getting our most effective attacking players; Oztumer, Roberts and Cuvelier, on the pitch at the same time is something that can't be argued with too much.

In terms of the atmosphere it was definitely very tetchy. The away support seemed strangely split straight down the middle of the two blocks, with one half calling for Whitney out throughout and the other side getting irate at the Whitney out lot. I don't think you blame the Whitney out stance and chants, these past 18 months have been absolutely dreadful on the road (I've missed only one away game since JW took over permanently) and the result of that is the frustration seen today. With regards to the players, I think it's pretty obvious that JW has tried to create a 'them vs us' scenario, which resulted in the players not even acknowledging the fans when the goals went in.

I've made my thoughts on Whitney's (lack of) capabilities clear in previous threads, but a 3-0 away win anywhere can't be sniffed at as long as we don't suddenly think this formation, selection and style will automatically suit us as well in the Southend game. The praising of Bakayoko after the game seemed very over the top as well, almost as if he was trying to justify his decision to play him 90 minutes in every game no matter what. He was by far the least impressive of the front three.

Special shout out to Liam Kinsella. Excellent once again and I hope he gets a run in the team that his patience deserves.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:55 pm

Liam tried his best today but I fear he's just too short to be a regular RB at this level. Donny were pinging plenty of diagonal balls to their LW in the first half and he was struggling to compete for the headers but did his best and competed. Would prefer Devlin back in there from wherever he's disappeared to.

Can Kinsella still be made into a decent central midfielder? I fear after his early promise he'll just be a squad player until his contract is up.

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:55 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:
Cowshed wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:

Yep that's the guy I had a sort of shout out with ten minutes from the end. He was convinced the team is league 2 bound so no real point trying to argue anything when he won't entertain any other point of view.

Weren't too far away from us then

Best not to get verbal just do what the players do and snub them

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:07 pm

Three nil away is not to be sniffed at. That crack's been well and truly plastered, skimmed and primed, as well as papered over.

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:24 pm

scott_powell wrote:
Soton Saddler wrote:Well done Whitney, hopefully go on a bit of a run now. Still can't believe just how negative some of our fans are towards Whitters, if I was a player like Oztumer and had to listen to our fans week in week out then come the end of my contract, regardless of money, I'd be off.
Hilariously these fans berate the players when they leave Walsall too...

Up The Saddlers!!

You can't believe how negative they are?! Before today no clean sheets this season. Terrible football. 4wins in 23 games. We were averaging to hit 51 points this season. That'd probably land us around 20th, possibly lower.

One win. That is it. Wind your neck in.

See the wins got you a bit riled up. Ego bruised?

4 defeats in the league this season.... same as 3rd placed Bradford, 4 pts off playoffs. Neck fully out - get in the sea.

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:42 pm

End of October and 4 points off play offs. Who wouldnt have taken that in August?

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:07 pm

Soton Saddler wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
Soton Saddler wrote:Well done Whitney, hopefully go on a bit of a run now. Still can't believe just how negative some of our fans are towards Whitters, if I was a player like Oztumer and had to listen to our fans week in week out then come the end of my contract, regardless of money, I'd be off.
Hilariously these fans berate the players when they leave Walsall too...

Up The Saddlers!!

You can't believe how negative they are?! Before today no clean sheets this season. Terrible football. 4wins in 23 games. We were averaging to hit 51 points this season. That'd probably land us around 20th, possibly lower.

One win. That is it. Wind your neck in.

See the wins got you a bit riled up. Ego bruised?

4 defeats in the league this season.... same as 3rd placed Bradford, 4 pts off playoffs. Neck fully out - get in the sea.

Riled up? Ego bruised?

I literally stated how I was happy with the win you [modded] I also stated how you lot have come out the woodwork after one victory.

[modded] ain't ya.

[post moderated]

cookyskid
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:12 pm

A poor first half with both sides failing miserably to cope with admittedly difficult conditions. Second half we were the better side, the turning point was Terry Lobsters persistence in chasing a seemingly lost cause to dispossess the Doncaster defender and lay it on a plate for Oztumer. after that we played well and deserved the win. So much for the game.

But as others have said the attitude of about 20 complete arseholes at the back of the stand really soured the atmosphere. I can fully understand and to some extent sympathise with the view that Whitney is not doing a great job - I much preferred the style of football played towards the end of Smith's tenure to the more "industrial" approach JW seems to favour. But to start the "Whitney Out" chants, not after 5 minutes as someone else has said, but 4 minutes before[u][b][/u][/b] kick-off beggars belief. Then to keep chanting it, and worse, throughout the game, even when winning 3-0 away is just (as someone else has said) surreal. These idiots clearly had a script they were following which was totally unrelated to what they were seeing on the pitch, if indeed they were actually watching the match. Nor was their vitriol aimed just at the manager, the repeated chants of "were fudge cack" were certainly a novel way of showing their support for the team.

The encouraging thing is that they were only about 20 or so out of the 300+ there. Plenty around me were as pissed off with them as I was. Its just a shame to see all that DNA going to waste on these morons

PreviousNext
Return to 2017-18 Season