Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Doncaster Rovers (A) League One, 21st Oct, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Re: Doncaster Rovers (A) League One, 21st Oct, 3pm

Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:02 pm

79walsall wrote:
ShropsSaddler wrote:
Walsallone wrote:As it stands 4 pts off the play offs and 7pts from the bottom 4!!!

And yet this is, apparently, the worst Walsall side some have ever seen and the Manager hasn't got a clue :roll:

This is only one game lets see what happens next :D

I think you are not understanding the league system. It's not based on one game, you look at it over the course of 46 games in a season. So far, we've played 15 games, taken 19 points and that leaves us 4 points off the play-offs and 7 points off relegation with no less than 10 teams below us. So, at this stage, nobody could say it's the worst Walsall team ever (we've finished in 24th before now!) and nobody could say we are the worst team in the division. Have I helped your understanding?

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:03 pm

79walsall wrote:my mate just posted this on twitter hes at the game !

·
We're still bad but Donny awful. Goals due to appalling defensive play. Subs a joke, again! Tactically clueless, again! Win down to players.

Excellent to hear that last bit. Well done Jon Whitney for assembling a great group and choosing the correct players on the pitch :wink:

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:03 pm

Well done Whitney, hopefully go on a bit of a run now. Still can't believe just how negative some of our fans are towards Whitters, if I was a player like Oztumer and had to listen to our fans week in week out then come the end of my contract, regardless of money, I'd be off.
Hilariously these fans berate the players when they leave Walsall too...

Up The Saddlers!!

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:04 pm

Well your mate must be a real idiot then....to suggest the Manager had nothing to do with the win is plain daft. If he gets blame for defeats he must get credit for wins. The first substitution was for an injury anyway!

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:05 pm

ShropsSaddler wrote:
79walsall wrote:my mate just posted this on twitter hes at the game !

·
We're still bad but Donny awful. Goals due to appalling defensive play. Subs a joke, again! Tactically clueless, again! Win down to players.

Excellent to hear that last bit. Well done Jon Whitney for assembling a great group and choosing the correct players on the pitch :wink:

Ha ha!!

Grown grumble.. we won 3 nil... groan grumble.. worst team ever... grumble groan. Christ this guy needs to get a grip!!

Mike Vale
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:06 pm

As was the 2nd substitution I believe.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:10 pm

Optimistic wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
Walsallone wrote:I notice that since we started scoring AM hasn't posted...there will be some very disappointed people tonight..Very sad but very true.UTS

Really? I'm buzzing!!! :D I said it was a must win and we have.

Really? I think you said a lot more than that Scott!

Really, read further back.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:12 pm

Does make me laugh how fast the happy clappers come on here after the 2nd away victory and first clean sheet of the season :lol:

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:12 pm

A much needed win and a clean sheet too - good day at the office for us..... UTS

PT
Site Addict

Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:16 pm

What a cracking result. Clean sheet and three goals. Fantastic. Let's hope that kick starts a run of wins and clean sheets.

Decent points gap between us and the bottom four now which is nice.

If that means Whitney's waves becoming even more interesting then so be it.

Ace

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:29 pm

There are no happy clappers on here SCOTT ...just supporters who are pleased their team has got 4 points from two away games. JW as I have said before isn't the best manager we have ever had and he certainly isn't the worst. Anyway I hope everyone will turn up next Saturday and get behind the team and, if things don't go well still support the lads.UTS

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:34 pm

After a poor first half when we should have been behind (we would have been dead & buried against a decent side ), we rode our luck and took full advantage of some truly woeful Doncaster defending. Play as we did from when we took the lead then we will be okay but if we have more halves like the first then we will struggle. Great to be able to celebrate 3 goals though! !

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:56 pm

Fantastic result, even if it was against a very poor side, but we can only play whoever are in front of us, and if we are able to take advantage of others poor displays then so be it :D how many did we take? and did they get behind the team?

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:09 pm

chunkster wrote:Fantastic result, even if it was against a very poor side, but we can only play whoever are in front of us, and if we are able to take advantage of others poor displays then so be it :D how many did we take? and did they get behind the team?

Lot of Whitney out stuff consistently throughout the game. There wasn't much positive stuff in the first half but there again there was little to be positive about. I would assume most of our more vocal away support is firmly in the Whitney out camp. There was some positive chanting towards the end but still a strong undercurrent beneath it.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:15 pm

Soton Saddler wrote:Well done Whitney, hopefully go on a bit of a run now. Still can't believe just how negative some of our fans are towards Whitters, if I was a player like Oztumer and had to listen to our fans week in week out then come the end of my contract, regardless of money, I'd be off.
Hilariously these fans berate the players when they leave Walsall too...

Up The Saddlers!!

You can't believe how negative they are?! Before today no clean sheets this season. Terrible football. 4wins in 23 games. We were averaging to hit 51 points this season. That'd probably land us around 20th, possibly lower.

One win. That is it. Wind your neck in.

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:17 pm

Walsallone wrote:Well your mate must be a real idiot then....to suggest the Manager had nothing to do with the win is plain daft. If he gets blame for defeats he must get credit for wins. The first substitution was for an injury anyway!

So not only do you come out with comments like "Before World War 1 when I was watching Walsall in my teens" but now you are calling people who actually ATTEND away games "idiots" !!!!!
You should seek medical attention ASAP I think dementia is setting in.

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:19 pm

Walsallone wrote:There are no happy clappers on here SCOTT ...just supporters who are pleased their team has got 4 points from two away games. JW as I have said before isn't the best manager we have ever had and he certainly isn't the worst. Anyway I hope everyone will turn up next Saturday and get behind the team and, if things don't go well still support the lads.UTS

Yourself, El-numbnuts, Optimistic to name a few.
Go and see a Doctor.
Your mind is pickled.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:29 pm

Donny message board (Viking Supporters Co-operative) ....... "losing 0-3 against easily the worst side that've played at the Keepmoat this season" :roll:

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:31 pm

This was a classic away victory, Whitney set out to get a nil nil, but fortunately come up against a team who were dire at best.
There may be positives to come out of it, three goals with none conceded will boost confidence, and Morris's goal will definitely boost his.
But, I can't see this being any springboard to a consistent run, as I've said before, Whitney will get enough wins and draws from now until May which will leave us bang average mid table, to keep our number 1 fan content.

Get used to it lads, Whitneys going nowhere this season

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:37 pm

swampysaddler wrote:
Walsallone wrote:There are no happy clappers on here SCOTT ...just supporters who are pleased their team has got 4 points from two away games. JW as I have said before isn't the best manager we have ever had and he certainly isn't the worst. Anyway I hope everyone will turn up next Saturday and get behind the team and, if things don't go well still support the lads.UTS

Go and see a Doctor.
Your mind is pickled.

What is your definition of a happy clapper Swampy?

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:49 pm

DonningtonSaddler wrote:
swampysaddler wrote:

Go and see a Doctor.
Your mind is pickled.

People who CANT or WONT see that this team is not going anywhere under the current manager.

cumbria-saddler
Glitterati

Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:53 pm

Great result in the end. First half was just boring from both teams. We got in their half about twice, and they didn't look that good either. Second half, we were much improved, not great by any stretch, but we had more urgency about us, and more intent if you like.

Their defending was woeful for the first two goals. Credit to Tyler Roberts for winning the ball off their defender for the first and getting the ball towards Oztumer, and the second was almost identical finish for him. Glad Morris and Bakayoko were involved in the third too, will hopefully give them both confidence as they seem to get more stick than others when things don't come off for them. Thankfully we held out for the clean sheet, as when we were two up you still wouldn't feel confident if we let one in.

Gillespie made two great saves, one in the second, and especially the one in the first half that he tipped onto the post only for their striker to miss an open net from the rebound.

Thing I was most disappointed about today was the chanting from some of our fans. I get that some want Whitney out, and fair enough chant for that if you will when we're losing or even drawing (took 20 seconds into the game before the first we want whitney out), but when we are 2-0 or 3-0 up its a bit unfair. A lot of those wanting him out has said they'd be happy for him to prove you wrong by winning and improving our form, but what more could he have done today than to get his team to win 3-0 away? First half was rubbish, but we improved second half, and nothing wrong with his substitutions either for me.
On top of that, the insulting chants aimed at him are pathetic ('Whitney is a Scunthorpe' etc.), get a grip.
Fair play to the bloke sat near me shouting at those chanting when we were 2/3 up, theres a time and a place for chanting for him to go, and 3-0 away from home isn't it.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:58 pm

Well SWAMPY I think the description fits...who but an idiot would see the team win away 3 -0 in difficult conditions and still complain. As for my mental state don't worry I may be getting on a bit but I am still active and have my marbles. We have lost 1 game in 8 and although some of the football has not been great some of it has been very good including some high class goals. I think we can improve and if fans get behind the team I cans it happening. One thing I have learn't during my life is that patience is a virtue and following Walsall you need that in abundance.

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:07 pm

swampysaddler wrote:
DonningtonSaddler wrote:
swampysaddler wrote:

Go and see a Doctor.
Your mind is pickled.

People who CANT or WONT see that this team is not going anywhere under the current manager.

Where's Whitney failing. how many points do you think we should have picked up at this stage then Swampy? Allowing for the fact that we have just had a number of games against definite promotion contenders and started the season with a whole new defense.

We have 19 points so how many do you think we would have had with a different manager?

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:08 pm

What a sad post CUMBRIA............

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:11 pm

Will some please tell me why Donny didn't turn up for the second half?

Had to leave at half time, the wife wanting an expensive Miller & Carter steak meal just cus she's turned 65! Bloomin heck the best I could manage when I was 65 was a fortnight in Florida! Women eh! :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

So what happened? At half time we were heading for another defeat and a place just above the relegation zone............then ZAPP.....whodathunk it eh?

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:15 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:Will some please tell me why Donny didn't turn up for the second half?

Had to leave at half time, the wife wanting an expensive Miller & Carter steak meal just cus she's turned 65! Bloomin heck the best I could manage when I was 65 was a fortnight in Florida! Women eh! :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

So what happened? At half time we were heading for another defeat and a place just above the relegation zone............then ZAPP.....whodathunk it eh?

Scott apparently.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:24 pm

Optimistic wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:Will some please tell me why Donny didn't turn up for the second half?

Scott apparently.

What are you talking about you prick?

saddla
Site Addict

Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:27 pm

I really believe we have turned into Dingles.
When you go 2-0 up away and the first chant that comes from the "fans" is we want Whitney out. Not a song for the lads but a negative chant against the manager.
At least when we got the 3rd scored by Morris and laid on by Bakayoko (the current boo boys) we did get a brief bit of support before the we want Whitney out chants started again.
Phone Franksy and say 'es gorroa gew Franksy and the transformation will be complete.
In contrast Doncaster who are suffering a dismal season supported their team vocally throughout the game. I did not hear 1 negative chant from them about Ferguson or the team. Although a good few did go home before the end when they were 3-0 down.

Clap Clap Clap (that's me away from home supporting the team after a 3-0 victory that takes us 4 points off the playoffs)

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:30 pm

Walsallone wrote:Well SWAMPY I think the description fits...who but an idiot would see the team win away 3 -0 in difficult conditions and still complain. As for my mental state don't worry I may be getting on a bit but I am still active and have my marbles. We have lost 1 game in 8 and although some of the football has not been great some of it has been very good including some high class goals. I think we can improve and if fans get behind the team I cans it happening. One thing I have learn't during my life is that patience is a virtue and following Walsall you need that in abundance.

Quote from the corrupt BBC "Erhun Oztumer's brace helped Walsall end a six-match winless run in all competitions with League One victory over Doncaster Rovers".

So that is the type of form you aspire to is it ?

It goes on further "It came as a shock to the system for a Doncaster side that had dominated".

One good away win, as I have already said well done, doesn't divert from the problem at the club being Whitney.
That win has just bought him a bit more time before P45 time.
Let's see what happens after Southend and Newport. If we are still crowing about good wins then I will say fair play and maybe I was wrong about JW.
We shall see but I won't hold my breath.
On a side note I would rather take 79walsall's mates opinion on the game than yours.
He saw first hand how we played not watching via Sky or BBC vidiprinter.

PreviousNext
Return to 2017-18 Season