Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Doncaster Rovers (A) League One, 21st Oct, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Re: Doncaster Rovers (A) League One, 21st Oct, 3pm

Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:14 pm

Vociferous minority...again.[/quote]yes but the problem is, managers staff and players can still hear it and take note of it, I know dicky dosh wasn't the most endearing managers we ever had, but he used to listen to the window lickers behind the dugout and react to it :roll: and used that small minded brigade to lambast the rest of the fans, and unless other fans start singing Whitney in, in a much louder voice then it will only go one way. Mind you the last time I was at a Match that the right side were singing against the left it ended up with a few black eyes :lol:[/quote]

It has already started us and them at Donny the players ignored the fans even though it was maybe 20 idiots the other 300 of us were treated the same .

When Morris scored he came towards us fans to celebrate but was quickly pulled away by Roberts

Paulus68
UTS Regular

Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:24 pm

chunkster wrote:
Paulus68 wrote:
cookyskid wrote:The numbers on this site probably represent about 5% of the fanbase. So any conflict on here is just mutual masturbation in the scheme of things,
As is the 1% chanting 'Whitney Out' yesterday.

Vociferous minority...again.
yes but the problem is, managers staff and players can still hear it and take note of it, I know dicky dosh wasn't the most endearing managers we ever had, but he used to listen to the window lickers behind the dugout and react to it :roll: and used that small minded brigade to lambast the rest of the fans, and unless other fans start singing Whitney in, in a much louder voice then it will only go one way. Mind you the last time I was at a Match that the right side were singing against the left it ended up with a few black eyes :lol:

Spot on there Chunkster. Disappointing thing for me is the there were young kids in that away following ( E and S pics) that would have been made up by those goals and that win. For the players not to celebrate with the fans is a poor show indeed and shows a real lack of emotional intelligence. My own lads still go on about those magic goals away at Shrews a couple of years ago. IMO awaydays are where real memories are created for our younger fans. Roberts took him away? Well Roberts can kiss my arse all the way back home.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:19 pm

chunkster wrote:... but he used to listen to the window-lickers behind the dugout and react to it ...

I can assure you, chunkster, that there are no "window-lickers" (q.v.) behind the home dugout. Most of them are too busy chewing on their Werthers Originals to shout abuse or boo. The only voice that is heard from that section is that of Mr. Bob Sadler and his constant criticism is always directed at the referee and the nearer assistant referee.

No, the abuse comes mainly from the uncouth element in the Blue Pop stand. Those of us behind the home dugout are much too refined to indulge in such unseemly behaviour. :mrgreen:

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:22 pm

Pedagogue wrote:
chunkster wrote:... but he used to listen to the window-lickers behind the dugout and react to it ...

I can assure you, chunkster, that there are no "window-lickers" (q.v.) behind the home dugout. Most of them are too busy chewing on their Werthers Originals to shout abuse or boo. The only voice that is heard from that section is that of Mr. Bob Sadler and his constant criticism is always directed at the referee and the nearer assistant referee.

No, the abuse comes mainly from the uncouth element in the Blue Pop stand. Those of us behind the home dugout are much too refined to indulge in such unseemly behaviour. :mrgreen:

Get back in your box and take your Horlicks old man :mrgreen:

bangsection
Site Addict

Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:26 pm

tinned wrote:
After you forced him to sit through the Wigan game I'm surprised he ever wanted to go again. After that game any kind of half decent performance is going to feel like thrilling, total football.

He's at that difficult age where even if we're likely to be terrible he still wants to go.

He'll grow out of it (but , like me, secretly I hope he doesn't).

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:39 pm

Micky Saddler wrote:What a sad state of affairs...

I pray to god we win against Southend, at least then we may all be able to return to some sort of normality and stop this divide between fans over Whitney in/out

Bottom line, we all love this club, JW loves this club. Lets all get behind them and give them the encouragement they need.

We are unbeaten in a 4 now (after playing some good sides) , and still unbeaten at home.

Cmon me babbies.

UTS

Amen

Gripper
Glitterati

Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:19 pm

You can also relate a lot of this player animosity to the constant abuse Mole gets on twitter. Same people. Every day of the week. He's started blocking people now - fair play - I agree with some of what they are saying - but every day? Pissed up abuse. Come off it.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:16 pm

I am astonished at the vitriol that has been expressed in some of the above posts, indeed quite shocked.
I am always the first to complain or indeed moan (as if!) when things are not going well, whilst trying to instil a degree of light hearted banter along the way. But after a 3-0 away win?
I wish now that I had got to Donny, seems like a lifetime since I last saw a victory from my beloved team.
Though it would appear it was somewhat of a hollow victory...not a shot at goal after 36 minutes? Can that REALLY be right? Then we turn it round to win 3-0! :shock: I note however, that according to the BBC we only had 4 shots on target all match! It would appear therefore, that there ARE worse teams than us after all!
And who was the big lad that ran the length of the pitch to put in a great pass for the second goal? Looked like he was wearing a mask that looked a lot like Bakayoko....Nah, couldn't have been him...not possible.... :D
Like many others I do believe that this very welcoming victory is papering over the cracks of Whitney's generally poor leadership.
The acid test will be Newport after our regulation 1-1 draw with Sarfend on Saturday.
UTS

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:43 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:I am astonished at the vitriol that has been expressed in some of the above posts, indeed quite shocked.
I am always the first to complain or indeed moan (as if!) when things are not going well, whilst trying to instil a degree of light hearted banter along the way. But after a 3-0 away win?
I wish now that I had got to Donny, seems like a lifetime since I last saw a victory from my beloved team.
Though it would appear it was somewhat of a hollow victory...not a shot at goal after 36 minutes? Can that REALLY be right? Then we turn it round to win 3-0! :shock: I note however, that according to the BBC we only had 4 shots on target all match! It would appear therefore, that there ARE worse teams than us after all!
And who was the big lad that ran the length of the pitch to put in a great pass for the second goal? Looked like he was wearing a mask that looked a lot like Bakayoko....Nah, couldn't have been him...not possible.... :D
Like many others I do believe that this very welcoming victory is papering over the cracks of Whitney's generally poor leadership.
The acid test will be Newport after our regulation 1-1 draw with Sarfend on Saturday.
UTS

You seem to have forgotten that they had twelve men in the first half apparently AM as Brian was playing for them (Storm Brian that is). But we coped with that so he decided to play for us in the second half and it seems to have made a difference. :D

chunkster
Site Addict

Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:10 pm

I think that the 20 or so (morons) fans that are shouting for whitneys head DURING A 3-0 AWAY WIN :roll: need to get a grip, and save their (non) support for when we are actually losing 3-0, that way they may just be justified and not look a little silly in their condemnation :|

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:17 pm

God I hope we win on Saturday (obviously, but more than normal at the moment). A defeat or bad performing draw against Sarfend will make the points on Saturday a bit hollow. A good win will raise hopes of the first signs of a revival. Please let's go on a half decent run now for a number of games and make me swallow my anti-Whitney words, because at the moment I see Saturday's win as papering over rather large cracks.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:48 pm

Gripper wrote:You can also relate a lot of this player animosity to the constant abuse Mole gets on twitter. Same people. Every day of the week. He's started blocking people now - fair play - I agree with some of what they are saying - but every day? Pissed up abuse. Come off it.

Dan Mole has and continues to be a good servant to this club. Him and Gamble imo do good jobs under difficult circumstances and a difficult owner to work for.

Very disappointing him and Whitney are getting all this flak when they have over 20 years service at the club between them.

Whitters
Site Addict

Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:53 am

reedswood sadler wrote:It has already started us and them at Donny the players ignored the fans even though it was maybe 20 idiots the other 300 of us were treated the same .

When Morris scored he came towards us fans to celebrate but was quickly pulled away by Roberts

Tony Pulis knows his way around football.
I heard him say once that the only way to success is for EVERYONE to pull together.
By this he meant the players, manager, owner and staff, and above all the fans.
I wonder if we'll ever have this situation again?

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:38 am

Whitters wrote:
reedswood sadler wrote:It has already started us and them at Donny the players ignored the fans even though it was maybe 20 idiots the other 300 of us were treated the same .

Tony Pulis knows his way around football.
I heard him say once that the only way to success is for EVERYONE to pull together.
By this he meant the players, manager, owner and staff, and above all the fans.
I wonder if we'll ever have this situation again?

All it would take is for someone to start singing john whitneys red and white army when the 20 or so start singing the Whitney out songs :wink: I am not his biggest supporter and I would like him replaced, but there is a time and a place, and singing derogatory songs when the team are winning isn't one of them :|

WalsallMem

Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:23 am

scott_powell wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:
scott_powell wrote:Look at what our football club has created ... a horrible toxic divide between fans.

JB is to blame for this, JW just pulled the trigger.

As an impartial onlooker I have to say that there wasn't much toxicity until you came along. There will always be divisions between fans because we will all have differences of opinion, but as the old song put it "It ain't what you say, it's the way that you say it". Friendly banter is one thing and is to be welcomed, but vitriolic personal insults are very different and have no place here.

Your comment on Twitter several hours ago that you were no longer going to contribute to this board was evidently another empty gesture.

Think on, please.

I'm only replying. I won't be contributing once this thread dies don't you worry!

I say it how it is and I sometimes forget that that can come across blunt and aggressive online. For that I apologise, it's nothing i wouldn't say in person though.

Cry me a riverrrrrrr :roll: Good riddance!

Anybody giving him any credit for his atmosphere improvement campaign, coincidentally when we were fighting for promotion, also need to give their heads a wobble.

If his and his little crews idea of 'support' is the modern football fan, then you can keep it.

We are all meant to be fellow supporters here cannot stand people slinging insults at each other - I've had to unfollow a lot of Walsall FC social media accounts as well. Is this how it is now?

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:29 am

WalsallMem wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:
scott_powell wrote:Look at what our football club has created ... a horrible toxic divide between fans.

JB is to blame for this, JW just pulled the trigger.

As an impartial onlooker I have to say that there wasn't much toxicity until you came along. There will always be divisions between fans because we will all have differences of opinion, but as the old song put it "It ain't what you say, it's the way that you say it". Friendly banter is one thing and is to be welcomed, but vitriolic personal insults are very different and have no place here.

Your comment on Twitter several hours ago that you were no longer going to contribute to this board was evidently another empty gesture.

Think on, please.

I'm only replying. I won't be contributing once this thread dies don't you worry!

I say it how it is and I sometimes forget that that can come across blunt and aggressive online. For that I apologise, it's nothing i wouldn't say in person though.

Cry me a riverrrrrrr :roll: Good riddance!

Anybody giving him any credit for his atmosphere improvement campaign, coincidentally when we were fighting for promotion, also need to give their heads a wobble.

If his and his little crews idea of 'support' is the modern football fan, then you can keep it.

We are all meant to be fellow supporters here cannot stand people slinging insults at each other - I've had to unfollow a lot of Walsall FC social media accounts as well. Is this how it is now?

Awwwww, bless. :mrgreen:

WalsallMem

Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:33 am

One day you might grow up son.

For now, why not go somewhere that you're actually wanted....

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:43 am

WalsallMem wrote:One day you might grow up son.

For now, why not go somewhere that you're actually wanted....

:lol:

Previous
Return to 2017-18 Season