Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Milton Keynes Dons, League One Tue Oct 17, 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Cheesebag
Site Addict

Re: Milton Keynes Dons, League One Tue Oct 17, 7.45pm

Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:36 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:
Cheesebag wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:
Micky Saddler wrote:
Cheesebag wrote:Lethargic, lacklustre, and slow.... and that was just both sets of fans... It was like the first pre season friendly played behind closed doors.

The most fight we showed was between two of our own players for the penalty.

I don't know what game our grave digger was watching but it certainly wasn't the same one as the 200 odd of us there wasting a tenna last night.

Baka must have some dirt on Whitney to keep playing... He then takes off our most effective player and keeps him on!!!!

Then his usual sarcastic wave to the fans at the end.... What goes around comes around

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/fo ... k-with-us/

This probably has something to do with it... Likely the fact that there confidence has been absolutely decimated from the utter crap spouted across the internet.

That may have something to do with the lack of fight, effort, confidence and skill we are showing on the pitch.

Maybe? :roll:

For Christ's sake Micky, don't suggest that. That's way off the current paradigm. Expect a blistering retort to put you and your opinion back in its place. :D :wink:

All I will say is go watch a match.... tell me what you think then :P

Well I've been to three, two of which I thoroughly enjoyed - soz. But I take your point about the style, which may have changed since then.

It's changed in the last month! It's basically give to defender.... hoof down channel chase ball down

repeat

Whitters
Site Addict

Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:39 am

Look, I'm not a Witney-in person by any means but what's all this "sarcastic wave" stuff?
Would you prefer no wave or a few claps or a wave or what?

Micky Saddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:47 am

Whitters wrote:Look, I'm not a Witney-in person by any means but what's all this "sarcastic wave" stuff?

The bloke could shower everyone with £50 notes and they would say there wallet is too small :roll:

Fact is, no matter what he does now, hes onto a dead duck.

You know what's really really comical, the thread on Facebook thinking we can replace him with a newly unemployed PREMIER LEAGUE manager, who was probably earning £60k+ at Leicester.

You cant make this up.

Harry
UTS Veteran

Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:48 am

Whitters wrote:Look, I'm not a Witney-in person by any means but what's all this "sarcastic wave" stuff?

Richard Money was never forgiven by some fans for NOT waving.

Whitney is not a good manager, but I admire the fact that he waved at and clapped the fans last night. Not all the fans were calling for him to be sacked, so he may have been acknowledging the others, or he may have wanted to show the booing fans that he is not going to be put off by their negativity. Either way, good for him.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:55 am

It's the fact that the results aren't quite bad enough to propagate a meaningful hissy fit, so it's moved to style of play - a legitimate concern, or more obscure stuff like waving style and use of personal pronouns. Has anyone suggested that Whitney and a certain section of the SmithOUT fans are a perfect fit? He delivers on a multitude of low level misdemeanors which can be easily magnified into crimes against humanity, while sustaining himself in position by eking out results when needed.

Everyone wins. The moaners have a bountiful harvest of material, Bonser's happy and the silent majority stave off relegation woes while keeping a hopeful eye on the playoffs.

Just a playful thought - assuming those are still allowed.

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:08 am

Obviously well aware he's not winning any popularity contests at the moment but sticks up for his players. If he is on the verge of losing the dressing room then statements like that'll definitely help his cause.

After he's hung his players out to dry so many times and alienated senior pro's i presume they'll see through it

sirrammell

Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:30 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:

It's the fact that the results aren't quite bad enough to propagate a meaningful hissy fit, so it's moved to style of play - a legitimate concern, or more obscure stuff like waving style and use of personal pronouns. Has anyone suggested that Whitney and a certain section of the SmithOUT fans are a perfect fit? He delivers on a multitude of low level misdemeanors which can be easily magnified into crimes against humanity, while sustaining himself in position by eking out results when needed.

Everyone wins. The moaners have a bountiful harvest of material, Bonser's happy and the silent majority stave off relegation woes while keeping a hopeful eye on the playoffs.

Just a playful thought - assuming those are still allowed.

Last night it was (partly) about a style of play that clearly wasn't working (with the personnel available). Yes we had a slightly better 2nd half but there's a lot of frustration. I am not JW's biggest fan, I think his lack of tactical nous is a big issue in many games and he hasn't learned much.

However, I was a bit annoyed last night because there was a large amount of general moaning about a dull game, "the worst game people had ever seen" etc. It clearly wasn't that bad a game. Frustrating and slow yes but not that bad.

Cully
Site Addict

Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:44 am

I’d like to report that 10 months ago ‘he’ (Whitney) looked at me in n a funny way at my works do and then to cap the t all I was in Next in Stafford with Mrs. CuIlly during the close season minding my own business when suddenly out of nowhere he said excuse me, in a strange way I might add, and proceeded to walk around a sofa without a bye your leave.
What advice would readers offer for this unusual turn of events?

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:59 am

Got off the Bus this morning. I'd given my hard earned money over, all I got was a sarcastic "thanks" as I left. No wave, nothing. Hope he loses his job.

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:16 am

El_Nombre wrote:Got off the Bus this morning. I'd given my hard earned money over, all I got was a sarcastic "thanks" as I left. No wave, nothing. Hope he loses his job.

Bus barclays.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:32 am

Cully wrote:I’d like to report that 10 months ago ‘he’ (Whitney) looked at me in n a funny way at my works do and then to cap the t all I was in Next in Stafford with Mrs. CuIlly during the close season minding my own business when suddenly out of nowhere he said excuse me, in a strange way I might add, and proceeded to walk around a sofa without a bye your leave.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

I'm sorry to hear this Cully. It seems yet another example of his distain for the fans. Are there really no depths to which he won't stoop? What kind of sofa was it by the way? Although seemingly unimportant, such details really are vital to understand the full nature of this crime. My guess is that it was some paisley number or something with dog prints.

Add your name to the wall:

A wall daubed with the names of his victims,

A wall smeared with ultra-positivity and self-gratification leaving behind the charred textual remains of the names of players recently past.

And if you're fooled into feeling sympathetic by this most vicious individual, remember that: Jon uses a lot of personal pro-nouns when talking about the team and club Something that should never be forgotten, or indeed forgiven.

I wish you well in this difficult time. :arrow: :|

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:48 am

swampysaddler wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:Got off the Bus this morning. I'd given my hard earned money over, all I got was a sarcastic "thanks" as I left. No wave, nothing. Hope he loses his job.

Bus barclays.

I only drive the Aston on weekends...

Micky Saddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:21 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:
Cully wrote:I’d like to report that 10 months ago ‘he’ (Whitney) looked at me in n a funny way at my works do and then to cap the t all I was in Next in Stafford with Mrs. CuIlly during the close season minding my own business when suddenly out of nowhere he said excuse me, in a strange way I might add, and proceeded to walk around a sofa without a bye your leave.

I'm sorry to hear this Cully. It seems yet another example of his distain for the fans. Are there really no depths to which he won't stoop? What kind of sofa was it by the way? Although seemingly unimportant, such details really are vital to understand the full nature of this crime. My guess is that it was some paisley number or something with dog prints.

A wall smeared with ultra-positivity and self-gratification leaving behind the charred textual remains of the names of players recently past.

And if you're fooled into feeling sympathetic by this most vicious individual, remember that: Jon uses a lot of personal pro-nouns when talking about the team and club Something that should never be forgotten, or indeed forgiven.

:lol: :lol:

SHAKESPEARE IN

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:22 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:

I enjoyed watching the match more than reading your incontinent drivel, so I guess that’s a positive for Whitney.

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:29 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:

A post from a poster that has quickly realised that their continuing support for the manager is on increasingly shaky ground so has resorted to posting a succession of meaningless drivel in an attempt to mask this fact.

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:35 pm

Walsallone wrote:I heard the interview too LD and agree with your account. He is surely right that any adverse reactions should be left until the end of games especially as I have not seen albeit only at home any sign that the players are not trying to do their best.

If the adverse reactions consist of "Whitney out" then how can it affect the players?

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:37 pm

tinned wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:

A post from a poster that has quickly realised that their continuing support for the manager is on increasingly shaky ground so has resorted to posting a succession of meaningless drivel in an attempt to mask this fact.

This....

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:42 pm

Well he is their Manager to whom some of them at least owe their place in the team. It could have an effect on them although I accept when you are in a team you stick together more in times of adversity.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:44 pm

Walsallone wrote:Well he is their Manager to whom some of them at least owe their place in the team. It could have an effect on them although I accept when you are in a team you stick together more in times of adversity.

Why are they in the team?

younger players whom it has been claimed he can bully and players that really shouldn't be at this level so are grateful for the opportunity (see our defence)

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:01 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
swampysaddler wrote:

Bus barclays.

I only drive the Aston on weekends...

:mrgreen:

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:05 pm

So as well as been unable to speak properly and wave in a non patronising ,sarcastic manner he is now a bully!! Really this is plain daft....I agree he is not by a long way our best Manager but neither is he the worst I have ever seen...Barnwell,Sibley ,Hutchings are three who spring immediately to mind but to keep bringing into play his character is not right. I think he will go shortly if performances don't improve so you won't have too long to wait to have a go at the next man.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:21 pm

Walsallone wrote:So as well as been unable to speak properly and wave in a non patronising ,sarcastic manner he is now a bully!! Really this is plain daft....I agree he is not by a long way our best Manager but neither is he the worst I have ever seen...Barnwell,Sibley ,Hutchings are three who spring immediately to mind but to keep bringing into play his character is not right. I think he will go shortly if performances don't improve so you won't have too long to wait to have a go at the next man.

So you're saying if someone is Whitney out they will automatically have it in for the next manager. Behave.

Also you have ignored my reply on the other thread regarding the red card against Shrewsbury. Funny how you happy clappers go quiet when proved wrong.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:59 pm

Oh dear SCOTT I am very sorry I have ignored you but the short answer on the red card is that the rules say one thing and advice to referees say another. The referee decided a penalty was sufficient punishment.
Having read this board for many years before I joined I remember how Dean Smith was treated by people on here for a number of seasons so it won't be long before the new man has similar treatment.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:10 pm

Walsallone wrote:Oh dear SCOTT I am very sorry I have ignored you but the short answer on the red card is that the rules say one thing and advice to referees say another. The referee decided a penalty was sufficient punishment.
Having read this board for many years before I joined I remember how Dean Smith was treated by people on here for a number of seasons so it won't be long before the new man has similar treatment.

The double jeopardy rule in football is regarding accidental fouls. Deliberate handballs do not fall under that category and are still punishable with a red card and a penalty. Referees are not advised differently. You are talking rubbish. We got very VERY lucky.

All managers have their doubters but to assume someone against JW will automatically be against the next manager is silly. I wasn't Smith Out so again, you're wrong.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:47 pm

The referee didn't even caution Guthrie which he should have done if he deemed it an accidental foul...perhaps he took into account the push on the defender which confused the issue.
I never said you were a Smith outer but a lot on here were and I suggest that this media lends itself to such comments so it will happen again. Indeed if we appoint a Hutchings or a Merson I might be one :D

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:51 pm

Walsallone wrote:The referee didn't even caution Guthrie which he should have done if he deemed it an accidental foul...perhaps he took into account the push on the defender which confused the issue.
I never said you were a Smith outer but a lot on here were and I suggest that this media lends itself to such comments so it will happen again. Indeed if we appoint a Hutchings or a Merson I might be one :D

Yes he didn't caution him because he didn't know who had handled it! Paul Hurst came out after the game having spoke to the referee stating so. Even Whitney admitted we were lucky to still have 11 men on the pitch. That decision was as bad as our disallowed goal against Blackpool!

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:00 pm

scott_powell wrote:
Walsallone wrote:The referee didn't even caution Guthrie which he should have done if he deemed it an accidental foul...perhaps he took into account the push on the defender which confused the issue.

Yes he didn't caution him because he didn't know who had handled it! Paul Hurst came out after the game having spoke to the referee stating so. Even Whitney admitted we were lucky to still have 11 men on the pitch. That decision was as bad as our disallowed goal against Blackpool!

That is exactly what was said on Sky Sports.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:13 pm

Cheesebag wrote:
tinned wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:

This....

:lol: :lol: :lol:

What 'continuing support' ???

If you mean not slavishly adhering to some increasingly bizarre accusations that 'he didn't wave good' or 'he overused a particular verb tense' then well, yeah, guilty as fricking charged chaps. Oh and boo-hoo for my having a different opinion. :cry: :P

As for meaningless drivel ... well, you're clearly getting emotional, so I was going to suggest that you have a far clearer understanding of that subject, having wallowed in those murky waters for quite a period of time on this matter. But I won't, because you're getting emotional ...

Lord Bonser knows what you'll be like several months down the line as he's still in post. But it wouldn't matter if he's removed anyway, because the next poor sod will be in line for similar after a couple of weeks due to his inexcusable choice of fridge magnets or the like. SmithOUT etc etc. :oops: :!:

UTS Legend

Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:02 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
Cheesebag wrote:
tinned wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:

This....

:lol: :lol: :lol:

What 'continuing support' ???

If you mean not slavishly adhering to some increasingly bizarre accusations that 'he didn't wave good' or 'he overused a particular verb tense' then well, yeah, guilty as fricking charged chaps. Oh and boo-hoo for my having a different opinion. :cry: :P

As for meaningless drivel ... well, you're clearly getting emotional, so I was going to suggest that you have a far clearer understanding of that subject, having wallowed in those murky waters for quite a period of time on this matter. But I won't, because you're getting emotional ...

Lord Bonser knows what you'll be like several months down the line as he's still in post. But it wouldn't matter if he's removed anyway, because the next poor sod will be in line for similar after a couple of weeks due to his inexcusable choice of fridge magnets or the like. SmithOUT etc etc. :oops: :!:

Remember the last poor SO'D.

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:17 pm

I thought that Smith had the right idea and needed more time when many called for his head and I was right.

I think that Whitney is dedicated, positive, trying his best and will get better and the best option is to give him more time. I do not like hoof ball and hopefully the team will start to get the ball down and play as confidence grows. I could not fault him pre-season for the squad he put together with big centre backs and for holding his nerve until the last minute to get Roberts even though many fans moaned for not bringing in a striker. I thought we had a quality squad then so why would I change my mind just a few games in with a brand new back line and a run of top 6 games.

So why are Shrewsbury doing so well, I believe that high levels of confidence in this game turns a draw into a win and a loss into a draw. Will they storm the league, I don't know until they lose a couple of games and we will see if I am right. Giving Whitney flack at the moment is counter productive in my opinion, he needs everyone behind him and the team. I have seen this fan problem so many times in the past its getting boring now.

This is my opinion which I believe that I am entitled to in a football forum. I may be right or I may be wrong and at some stage I might change my opinion but just because I have been consistent and not changed it yet, because I think it is too early after the run of games we have had, does not mean I am puddled. In fact I am an intelligent person and as such I am fully aware that I will get flack and be called silly names by some people just because I think different to them.

I am bigger than that so I may not respond to such posts. No offence intended, I just can't be bothered. I know I may be wrong but time will tell.

PreviousNext
Return to 2017-18 Season