Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Milton Keynes Dons, League One Tue Oct 17, 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Exile
Jobsworth

Re: Milton Keynes Dons, League One Tue Oct 17, 7.45pm

Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:43 pm

scott_powell wrote:"I'm going to take the positives. We showed great character to come back from a goal down and I thought we could have nicked it at the end."

:roll:

Bet ya

"We'll watch the DVD tomorrow and see what we can learn for Saturday." :wink:

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:44 pm

Exile wrote:
scott_powell wrote:"I'm going to take the positives. We showed great character to come back from a goal down and I thought we could have nicked it at the end."

:roll:

Bet ya

"We'll watch the DVD tomorrow and see what we can learn for Saturday." :wink:

That too!

PT
Site Addict

Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:46 pm

Funny old night travelling south following the game via SM.

Decent point in the end if our goal is survival.

But I think we're even further away from knowing our best team, formation and method.

Oh well. About to head through Milton Keynes funnily enough.

Our nice new town where the curtains are drawn.
Where hope is started and dreams can be born.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:49 pm

I questioned the team selection but that’s a solid point. Sounded much better second half.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:02 pm

Bottom 4 closing in now.

Need a win soon.

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:04 pm

Listened to it on i follow and we should have beaten them hands down :shock: after a poor first half we played so much better second half, it just baffles me :?

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:13 pm

scott_powell wrote:To think some of you idiots actually stick up for JW.

He needs to go, NOW

Too right Scott I felt a right idiot to travel and find Ozzy not starting he's the main reason I go

Still I understand why the manager is risk averse just now and the changes earned an important point it was vital not to lose

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:18 pm

I guess a point was well-deserved in the end, although there were two equally poor teams out there tonight.
Bakayoko was shocking in the second half, and Roberts looked dangerous, particularly once he had scored.
We probably could have nicked it at the end, although Dons missed a one on one towards the end also.
Dons seemed to constantly walk through the right side of our defence in the second half - luckily they didn't have much idea once they got in the box.
Decent point - fairly uninspiring performance.
Agitated tantrums occurred when Roberts was subbed.

Whitters
Site Addict

Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:21 pm

PT wrote:F
Decent point in the end if our goal is survival.

Our nice new town where the curtains are drawn.
Where hope is started and dreams can be born.

Good point indeed.

the curtains are drawn on a leadership bungle
all hope abandoned stark concrete jungle
I sit lonely at night in my soulless home
afraid of the dark and the zombies that roam
©Whitters 2017

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:17 am

Awful, awful first half. Second half was much better, but a draw was a fair result. Both teams were really poor though but I say we edged it slightly, and only if Bakayoko had been substituted and not Tyler, then we may have been going up the M1 with 3 points.

Awful selection and substitutions again, and the patronising wave and clap from Whitney really annoyed me - signs of a man with a huge ego.

UTS Legend

Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:26 am

sirrammell

Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:00 am

I went along last night. Poor game really, very frustrating to see us (once again) continually pump the ball to Baka on the left wing, a role he cannot fill effectively. Either team could have won it, but neither team deserved to. I was staying at the ground so hung around for 20 minutes and spotted Tyler hobbling out to the team bus.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:20 am

JW explained that he took Tyler off because he had cramp....the post above indicates that the lad was sore so perhaps those who berated the decision didn't have all the facts.

layzeedude
UTS Regular

Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:38 am

Anyone catch his interview on WM after the game? Had a bit of a rant about the fans along the lines of;
Have a go at me. I don't mind, but leave it til the end of the game. The players don't deserve the boos so get behind them. If you want to give me abuse do it after the game coz I can take it.

Not his exact words but that was the gist. Fair play to him. Obviously well aware he's not winning any popularity contests at the moment but sticks up for his players. If he is on the verge of losing the dressing room then statements like that'll definitely help his cause.

LD

Micky Saddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:45 am

Good point away against one of the teams who will always be backed to get out of this league.

In terms of team selection I think it was a poor decision to drop Roberts, he looks a real talent and is miles ahead of Guthrie, whenever I see the two of them play, however,

Ozzy....Whilst I appreciate he can conjure up moments of magic every now and again a la Blackpool free kick, but lets face it, this is a guy who clearly doesn't see his future here and throws a tantrum whenever things don't go his way on the field, also doesn't help hes been very very selfish in the last few games gone by.

Something tells me we aren't being informed of the bigger picture there, no player is bigger than the club and I get the impression he is holding us over a barrel.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:45 am

I heard the interview too LD and agree with your account. He is surely right that any adverse reactions should be left until the end of games especially as I have not seen albeit only at home any sign that the players are not trying to do their best.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:51 am

Lethargic, lacklustre, and slow.... and that was just both sets of fans... It was like the first pre season friendly played behind closed doors.

The most fight we showed was between two of our own players for the penalty.

I don't know what game our grave digger was watching but it certainly wasn't the same one as the 200 odd of us there wasting a tenna last night.

Baka must have some dirt on Whitney to keep playing... He then takes off our most effective player and keeps him on!!!!

Then his usual sarcastic wave to the fans at the end.... What goes around comes around

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:53 am

Walsallone wrote:I heard the interview too LD and agree with your account. He is surely right that any adverse reactions should be left until the end of games especially as I have not seen albeit only at home any sign that the players are not trying to do their best.

How do you berate a bad substitution at the end of the game.

Micky Saddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:54 am

Cheesebag wrote:Lethargic, lacklustre, and slow.... and that was just both sets of fans... It was like the first pre season friendly played behind closed doors.

I don't know what game our grave digger was watching but it certainly wasn't the same one as the 200 odd of us there wasting a tenna last night.

Baka must have some dirt on Whitney to keep playing... He then takes off our most effective player and keeps him on!!!!

Then his usual sarcastic wave to the fans at the end.... What goes around comes around

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/fo ... k-with-us/

This probably has something to do with it... Likely the fact that there confidence has been absolutely decimated from the utter crap spouted across the internet.

That may have something to do with the lack of fight, effort, confidence and skill we are showing on the pitch.

Maybe? :roll:

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:00 am

but it wasn't a bad substitution was it? The lad had cramp so it rather proves my point.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:01 am

Walsallone wrote:but it wasn't a bad substitution was it? The lad had cramp so it rather proves my point.

What points that clap clap

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:07 am

And whats all this criticism of JW waving,,,,patronising says one poster, sarcastic says another. Perhaps someone could describe a patronising or sarcastic wave to me? Imagine if he didn't wave..he would be criticised for that too!!! This is as daft as those criticising his use of English which SAIGON has spotted. I think some of our fans have lost it completely. Their hatred of JW is way over the top. He is a bloke doing his best..it may not be good enough but treat him with respect as you would expect to be treated.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:10 am

Walsallone wrote:And whats all this criticism of JW waving,,,,patronising says one poster, sarcastic says another. Perhaps someone could describe a patronising or sarcastic wave to me? Imagine if he didn't wave..he would be criticised for that too!!! This is as daft as those criticising his use of English which SAIGON has spotted. I think some of our fans have lost it completely. Their hatred of JW is way over the top. He is a bloke doing his best..it may not be good enough but treat him with respect as you would expect to be treated.

Did you see it? were you there?

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:17 am

Wasn't there.

A point on paper is a good result.

I just don't see a future with him in charge. I think he's lost the fans, from the sounds of the performance, he's lost the dressing room, or has little influence.

I hesitate to call for a managers head because I find it a distasteful part of modern football, but it's a results business and we aren't getting many results.

For me, the biggest thing still is the clean sheets - it's implausible to think that JW can't see that the lack of clean sheets is his biggest problem - last night would have been 3 points had we kept a clean sheet... So making the assumption he knows its a problem, and he's trying to fix it, he's clearly not up to the job. We are in danger of beating our all time record of no clean sheets.

Update:

It's now 14 clean sheets in 69 competitive fixtures since the start of 16/17. No clean sheets in 20 games.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:24 am

layzeedude wrote:Anyone catch his interview on WM after the game? Had a bit of a rant about the fans along the lines of;
Have a go at me. I don't mind, but leave it til the end of the game. The players don't deserve the boos so get behind them. If you want to give me abuse do it after the game coz I can take it.

Not his exact words but that was the gist. Fair play to him. Obviously well aware he's not winning any popularity contests at the moment but sticks up for his players. If he is on the verge of losing the dressing room then statements like that'll definitely help his cause.

LD

It's like the noise a whale makes when it's dying. "Have a go at me, I can take it".

Some clubs dont let it get to this point.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:26 am

Micky Saddler wrote:
Cheesebag wrote:Lethargic, lacklustre, and slow.... and that was just both sets of fans... It was like the first pre season friendly played behind closed doors.

This probably has something to do with it... Likely the fact that there confidence has been absolutely decimated from the utter crap spouted across the internet.

That may have something to do with the lack of fight, effort, confidence and skill we are showing on the pitch.

For Christ's sake Micky, don't suggest that. That's way off the current paradigm. Expect a blistering retort to put you and your opinion back in its place. :D :wink:

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:29 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:
Micky Saddler wrote:

For Christ's sake Micky, don't suggest that. That's way off the current paradigm. Expect a blistering retort to put you and your opinion back in its place. :D :wink:

All I will say is go watch a match.... tell me what you think then :P

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:30 am

Cheesebag wrote:
Walsallone wrote:And whats all this criticism of JW waving,,,,patronising says one poster, sarcastic says another. Perhaps someone could describe a patronising or sarcastic wave to me? Imagine if he didn't wave..he would be criticised for that too!!! This is as daft as those criticising his use of English which SAIGON has spotted. I think some of our fans have lost it completely. Their hatred of JW is way over the top. He is a bloke doing his best..it may not be good enough but treat him with respect as you would expect to be treated.

Did you see it? were you there?

Can we expect another blog post on wave deconstructions shortly? Perhaps a comparison of managers over the years. I suspect Whitney may even be second from bottom, as Money didn't wave at all. Or perhaps that will just be seen as brilliantly ironic?

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:31 am

Clap Clap :D

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:32 am

Cheesebag wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:
Micky Saddler wrote:

All I will say is go watch a match.... tell me what you think then :P

Well I've been to three, two of which I thoroughly enjoyed - soz. But I take your point about the style, which may have changed since then.

PreviousNext
Return to 2017-18 Season