Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Blackpool (H) League One 14th Oct, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Re: Blackpool (H) League One 14th Oct, 3pm

Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:06 pm

scott_powell wrote:
JonnyOwen wrote:Lucky to come away with a point. Morris is baffling, he can't pass, can't tackle, can't track runs, has no space to dribble (what he's good at)... so why does Whitney insist on playing him central midfield? He said on WM that he deserved to play today because he played well against Shrewsbury, but he didn't, he didn't do anything whatsoever. If Adam isn't still 100%, why not stick an actual central midfielder in Reece Flanagan there, sure he has had his stick playing for us, but at least that is his actual position.

Then there's Bakayoko, who stays in ahead of our best striker in Tyler Roberts because, yet again, "he did well against Shrewsbury". Did he?! He ran the channels a bunch but his link up play was poor, as it has been all season, on current form, must like Morris, he provided absolutely nothing. Team selections are becoming increasingly bemusing every game and I'm really starting to despair watching this turgid rubbish. Oztumer, bar his goal, was also very poor today too, which is saying a lot about our overall quality and our patterns of play. It's so odd as I actually think we have a number of really good players all over the pitch (other than goalkeeper), and it is just Whitney's inability to coach them to play together with a consistent style of football and organisation.

It says an awful lot that our best players were our three centre halves in a game where we looked vulnerable from every corner and was lucky to not concede 2 or 3.

It's Whitney out for me, it's gone too far against him now and I really can't see him winning the fans back over now, Get rid of him and Sharps, have Cutler and Ward as caretakers and try and get Ade Viveash in charge IMO.

Spot on

Now let's see ade viveash

Mmmm that could work

Played as a defender

Mainly lower leagues

No experience of managing a club

Already spent time at Walsall and knows the club , history etc

Oh hang on :shock:

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:48 pm

Cowshed wrote:
Now let's see Ade Viveash

Mmmm that could work

Played as a defender

Mainly lower leagues

You neglected to mention that Viveash is a highly respected and successful coach with a track record of developing younger players and having some knowledge of tactics while Whitney is ..........

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:12 pm

a bloke who has served our club well over 12 years and does not deserve a lot of the personal abuse he gets. He is certainly not the best Manager we have ever had and will no doubt get the sack at some time however lets see what happens over the next few games .
and by the way SCOTT I am a supporter who wants our team to do well whoever is in it and whoever the Manager is............if that makes me a happy clapper so be it.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:16 pm

Walsallone wrote:a bloke who has served our club well over 12 years and does not deserve a lot of the personal abuse he gets. He is certainly not the best Manager we have ever had and will no doubt get the sack at some time however lets see what happens over the next few games .
and by the way SCOTT I am a supporter who wants our team to do well whoever is in it and whoever the Manager is............if that makes me a happy clapper so be it.

I want us to do well too but under Whitney we won't. It's that's simple.

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:27 pm

scott_powell wrote:
killers left foot wrote:lets not gloss over another shite performance please.whitney out

That's what the happy clapper lot do. Let's gloss over a shocking performance and blame the ref. Pathetic

No. The ones who have a pragmatic approach to the situation our team is in and don't need to resort to hysterics, the childish name calling and the personal insults.

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:33 pm

Pedagogue wrote:
Cowshed wrote:

Mmmm that could work

Played as a defender

Mainly lower leagues

You neglected to mention that Viveash is a highly respected and successful coach with a track record of developing younger players and having some knowledge of tactics while Whitney is ..........

A bit like Sean O'Driscoll you mean?

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:37 pm

Walsallone wrote:a bloke who has served our club well over 12 years and does not deserve a lot of the personal abuse he gets. He is certainly not the best Manager we have ever had and will no doubt get the sack at some time however lets see what happens over the next few games .

How many more "next few games" do you give him? That's all I ever read from you. It's like the "next few games" are somekind of magical land where everything will be fine.

I am a supporter who wants us to do well (you haven't got a monopoly on that sentiment). However, some of us realise that is a lot less likely to happen under Whitney. I've never seen the attraction of purposely denying the damn obvious.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:42 pm

DonningtonSaddler wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
killers left foot wrote:lets not gloss over another shite performance please.whitney out

That's what the happy clapper lot do. Let's gloss over a shocking performance and blame the ref. Pathetic

No. The ones who have a pragmatic approach to the situation our team is in and don't need to resort to hysterics, the childish name calling and the personal insults.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Pragmatic?!

Heard it all now.

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:55 pm

Pedagogue wrote:
Cowshed wrote:

Mmmm that could work

Played as a defender

Mainly lower leagues

You neglected to mention that Viveash is a highly respected and successful coach with a track record of developing younger players and having some knowledge of tactics while Whitney is ..........[/quote

I hadn't realised he was so highly regarded

He must be doing well

Where is he now?

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:09 pm

We've won 4 of the last 23 games playing awful football in the process.

No clean sheet this season.

1 away win this year.

Is that acceptable happy clappers? Come on let's hear your pragmatic approach!! I'm glad our support aren't full of you lot cause we'd be screwed.

UTS Legend

Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:49 pm

scott_powell wrote:We've won 4 of the last 23 games playing awful football in the process.

No clean sheet this season.

1 away win this year.

Is that acceptable happy clappers? Come on let's hear your pragmatic approach!! I'm glad our support aren't full of you lot cause we'd be screwed.

We'd be screwed if they weren't there.

saddla
Site Addict

Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:26 am

Pedagogue wrote:
Cowshed wrote:

Mmmm that could work

Played as a defender

Mainly lower leagues

He was manager of Cirencester Town for 1 season and got them relegated (2007-8). Be careful what you wish for.
I could have won trophies with the Chelsea Youth team with the players at their disposal.

Fish
UTS Veteran

Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:38 am

scott_powell wrote:

And right on cue, Ironman chips in !!!!

On the criticism from the crowd aimed towards him, Whitney said: “You never know, if you stay positive, what will happen.
“Just stay with the players and if you want to make a statement at the end, do it then.
“I will stay out and take that if you want – I won’t run in and hide.
“I’ll stand and listen to the criticism, but leave the players because they gave everything out there.
“They were one refereeing decision away from winning the game.”

Read more at https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/fo ... j6WTwXl.99

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/fo ... sall-draw/

scott_powell
Site Addict

Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:54 am

Fish wrote:
scott_powell wrote:

And right on cue, Ironman chips in !!!!

On the criticism from the crowd aimed towards him, Whitney said: “You never know, if you stay positive, what will happen.
“Just stay with the players and if you want to make a statement at the end, do it then.
“I will stay out and take that if you want – I won’t run in and hide.
“I’ll stand and listen to the criticism, but leave the players because they gave everything out there.
“They were one refereeing decision away from winning the game.”

Read more at https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/fo ... j6WTwXl.99

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/fo ... sall-draw/

From today.

"How can one decision from a referee suddenly make us a bad team? I’ve got to keep a good perspective and a bit of realism about where we are."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Whitney can't even see it. He needs to fudge off now.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:24 am

Complete and utter dogshit and I told them that after the match too....

Pathetic hoofball, Our best player on the bench...

Just go.... and go quickly you utter buffoon

Micky Saddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:37 am

DonningtonSaddler wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:
Cowshed wrote:

Mmmm that could work

Played as a defender

Mainly lower leagues

A bit like Sean O'Driscoll you mean?

And look how that turned out...
Anti - Rico Henry and had the players performing as boring as his interviews....

Lets face it, the club went with the approach everyone wanted back then, they have tried a different approach with Whitney ( someone raw and with passion)

Neither have worked out unfortunately, but Whitney should not be held in the same bracket as S'OD under ANY circumstances, he has been a fantastic servant to this club..

I agree, I think a change would be welcome, but please before screaming for Ade Viveash look at the last youth developing, total football coach we hired..... didn't even last 6 months.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:50 am

you have asked me a fair question TINNED and the answer is I don't know but all can say we haven't reached that point yet in my view. You have to remember this yet another NEW team and needs time to gel. Sometimes you get lucky with new players like we did under Graydon and the Sloppies are doing now but generally when you bring new players in you should allow a reasonable period for things to settle down. Until Saturday I thought we were on the right track but as everyone says we weren't very good in that game which disappointed me. The next two away games are very important and a win in one of them is essential to keep spirits up both in the team and with the fans.
Having said all that I am not a great fan of constantly changing Managers....in the long term it doesn't always mean better performances and league positions.

killers left foot
UTS Regular

Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:24 am

it isnt working just get him out now and bring Adie in or even Billy davies with ned kelly as his number 2 a decent manager would have this team in the top half from what i can see this season.

Harry
UTS Veteran

Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:11 am

Walsallone wrote:Having said all that I am not a great fan of constantly changing Managers....in the long term it doesn't always mean better performances and league positions.

If your manager is Paul Merson, Kevan Broadhurst, Jimmy Mullen, Chris Hutchings or Sean O'Driscoll and things are clearly going badly wrong, then the sooner you sack them the better. Does anyone think that any of those should have been given a day longer in post? Unfortunately the same is true of John Whitney. If you have a bad manager there is no point in delaying - the trouble is that the person making the new appointment will be the same one who has got it wrong so often in the past.

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:35 pm

killers left foot wrote:it isnt working just get him out now and bring Adie in or even Billy davies with ned kelly as his number 2 a decent manager would have this team in the top half from what i can see this season.

Billy Davies is finished as a manager following his erratic behaviour at Forest and the subsequent paranoiac rants in the press ever since. Kelly has had no discernible success as a manager or as a coach. Besides, he buggered off and left us in the lurch once already.

As someone said earlier Viveash has zero managerial experience apart from coaching millionaire teenagers and one season relegating Cirencester.

If you want Whitney replaced you've got to make better suggestions than that.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:47 am

DonningtonSaddler wrote:
killers left foot wrote:it isnt working just get him out now and bring Adie in or even Billy davies with ned kelly as his number 2 a decent manager would have this team in the top half from what i can see this season.

Billy Davies is finished as a manager following his erratic behaviour at Forest and the subsequent paranoiac rants in the press ever since. Kelly has had no discernible success as a manager or as a coach. Besides, he buggered off and left us in the lurch once already.

As someone said earlier Viveash has zero managerial experience apart from coaching millionaire teenagers and one season relegating Cirencester.

Lets just stick to a physio then. :roll:

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:42 pm

scott_powell wrote:
DonningtonSaddler wrote:

It's a similar tale to Merson's final weeks. Dozens of posts of "Who would come and replace him? They might be worse. The sky might fall in".

Yeah, let's stick with what we've got, that's bound to turn out okay.

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:12 pm

tinned wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
DonningtonSaddler wrote:

It's a similar tale to Merson's final weeks. Dozens of posts of "Who would come and replace him? They might be worse. The sky might fall in".

I'm all for getting a better manager than Whitney. It's just that those has-beens and never-beens aren't the answer. Who do you suggest we can realistically attract?

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:15 pm

Kelly can sod off, Walsall FC does not exist purely as a full back option whenever he's waiting for Davies to whistle. I mean come on, last time he wasnt here long enough to even christen the training ground bogs!

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:28 pm

DonningtonSaddler wrote:
tinned wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
DonningtonSaddler wrote:

I'm all for getting a better manager than Whitney. It's just that those has-beens and never-beens aren't the answer. Who do you suggest we can realistically attract?

Would it really matter anyway? The usual suspects will give him about 2 weeks before slating his selection of fabric softener, his choice of aftershave or his use of the past continuous tense before calling it s a day and demanding his exit. Immediately and without delay. SmithOUT!!!

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:08 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:Would it really matter anyway? The usual suspects will give him about 2 weeks before slating his selection of fabric softener, his choice of aftershave or his use of the past continuous tense before calling it s a day and demanding his exit. Immediately and without delay. SmithOUT!!!

Or it could be that he's a fudge useless manager, managing a team that plays fudge useless, boring, ineffective excuse for football.

Wouldn't give you anything to write bollocks about though, would it?

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:17 pm

tinned wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:Would it really matter anyway? The usual suspects will give him about 2 weeks before slating his selection of fabric softener, his choice of aftershave or his use of the past continuous tense before calling it s a day and demanding his exit. Immediately and without delay. SmithOUT!!!

Or it could be that he's a fudge useless manager, managing a team that plays fudge useless, boring, ineffective excuse for football.

I leave that to others.

I wouldn't mind if I'd been stating that Whitney was a good manager or things were going well, but I've only ever invited a sense a proportionality amidst the swirling sea of shite.

Imagine that.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:00 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:
tinned wrote:

I leave that to others.

I wouldn't mind if I'd been stating that Whitney was a good manager or things were going well, but I've only ever invited a sense a proportionality amidst the swirling sea of shite.

Imagine that.

Imagine having to watch it.... clap clap

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:15 am

Cheesebag wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:
tinned wrote:

I leave that to others.

Imagine that.

Imagine having 'we've just played the top five' angrily misinterpreted by some as 'Whitney, yeah, he's ace and the football is brilliant. We've had some great results and I love the fact he's on a three year contract. Brilliant!' :D

Still, everyone's entitled to an opinion, at least, they were until Whitney ... clap clap.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:17 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:
Cheesebag wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:
tinned wrote:

I leave that to others.

Imagine that.

Imagine having 'we've just played the top five' angrily misinterpreted by some as 'Whitney, yeah, he's ace and the football is brilliant. We've had some great results and I love the fact he's on a three year contract. Brilliant!' :D

Still, everyone's entitled to an opinion, at least, they were until Whitney ... clap clap.

:D The only saving grace were that MK was as piss poor as us

Previous
Return to 2017-18 Season