Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Shrewsbury Town (H) League One, 7th Oct 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Shrewsbury Town (H) League One, 7th Oct 3pm

Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:01 pm

"Ay, the ball is flying,
The lads play heart and soul,
The goal stands up, the keeper
Stands up to keep the goal"

(Houseman: A Shropshire Lad"

Traditionally the prospect of a home game against Shrewsbury Town would be relished by Saddlers' supporters, accompanied by a glance at the League table to judge our new position after the anticipated 3 points had been safely harvested. Not so in 2017/18 .... the Sloppies sit very comfortably 4 points clear at the top of the table while we languish 16 points behind them. Some people may well say that their success is in no small measure due to the fact that they have a Manager who holds the highest coaching certificate (UEFA 'A' qualification), and it would appear that from the very start of this season they have maintained a winning mentality which, with a quarter of the season already gone leaves them unbeaten in League One. Looking at the fixture objectively it's very difficult to see anything but an away win on Saturday, which makes it all the more perplexing that the betting exchanges actually have Walsall as favourites to win :shock: Those odds must surely change over the next few days - meanwhile you can back Shrewsbury Town to win with Betfair and get 2.8 to 1 - their League One form is eye-wateringly good (most recent 6 games):-

9 Sep Wigan Athletic (H) Won 1-0
12 Sep Southend United (H) Won 1-0
16 Sep Oldham Athletic (A) Won 1-2
23 Sep Blackburn Rovers (H) Drew 1-1
26 Sep Doncaster Rovers (A) Won 1-2
30 Sep Scunthorpe United (H) Won 2-0

The only faintly redeeming feature of Shrewsbury Town's League One campaign (from our point of view) is that they've only managed to score 3 goals in one match (home to Rochdale) but when you have a defence as mean as theirs, conceding only 7 goals in 11 games - you don't need to score loads to win. There will probably be one familiar face to Saddlers' supporters in the Shrews line-up in the form of Mat Sadler, and it's probable that Craig MacGillivray will be on bench-warming duties.

The big question from JW's point of view, of course, is that of the effect of "tired legs". No further comment needed, and it should be remembered that Shrewsbury Town also played a mid-week game yesterday, and have the same commitments as we do. As far as squad selection is concerned he seems to have tried just about every combination of players and positions, but is patently still looking for the kind of results that (on paper) our squad should be able to achieve. Hoofball or tippy-tap? Wingers or wing-backs? Challenging upfield midfield or defensive-helping midfield? Is our first choice goalkeeper fit for a recall? :?

Regular readers of these previews will know that I always try to look on the optimistic side when getting round to predictions, but for this game I can see only an away win, probably of the order of 0-2.

So ...... won't it be a pleasant feeling when we take them apart on Saturday and win 4-0 !!!!!!! :D (Yeah ..... right)

UTS

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Re: Shrewsbury Town (H) League One, 7th Oct 3pm

Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:12 pm

Maybe because of what I saw Tuesday night I think we will win this....we surely cannot play as badly again and secondly when I am desperate I fall back on my old favourite "the law of averages" by which I mean it is surely time the Sloppies lost a game!!!! UTS

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:29 pm

Walsallone wrote:we surely cannot play as badly again

Well I didn't see yesterday's game and you didn't see Saturday's but between our two experiences it seems we are getting into a habit of playing "that badly again".

Kevlar
UTS Veteran

Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:44 am

Nothing can go wrong in this one .................no matter how crepe we've been.

Do we have a better success rate against any other team than this lot ( equates to 62 % of the points ) ?

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:21 am

2-1 win. Anything else and the wailing and gnashing of teeth will be too much to bear. :wink:

tinned
Site Addict

Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:45 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:2-1 win. Anything else and the wailing and gnashing of teeth will be too much to bear. :wink:

And so will be the handwringing, excuse making replies :mrgreen:

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:13 am

tinned wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:2-1 win. Anything else and the wailing and gnashing of teeth will be too much to bear. :wink:

Or indeed the fair replies that weirdly don't get an answer.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:17 am

Win or bust for Whitney. If we get well beaten here we can drop as low as 18th after 12 games. How can any board tell you with a straight face that we expect a top half finish and also accept that? After a heavy loss in a local derby.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:53 am

Walsall 1-1 Shrewsbury

No substance.

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:59 am

Walsallone wrote:Maybe because of what I saw Tuesday night I think we will win this....we surely cannot play as badly again and secondly when I am desperate I fall back on my old favourite "the law of averages" by which I mean it is surely time the Sloppies lost a game!!!! UTS

I agree with this on tuesday fans were working out how many the Shrews would score and wether we needed to bring calculators, but I think we will do the impossible double end their unbeaten run and get the magic clean sheet.
Whitney like Smith always seems to pull off a result when he needs it and runs have to come to an end.

Update on the above the wife has just told me I have forgot to take my tablets that must be it.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:06 pm

tinned wrote:

:D :wink:

saddla
Site Addict

Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:40 pm

So, let me get this right. If we don't beat the only team in the whole of the football league who haven't lost a game all season, we have a really crap manager who needs to be sacked?
The team that's played 11 won 9 and drawn 2?
The team that's beaten Wigan, Scunthorpe and Southend in the last month? They must have crap managers too then :roll:

And if by some miracle we happen to be the only team in the league to beat them it's only papering over the cracks?

What a fudge attitude to take to a football match!
What happened to all the smiling faces going down the Wednesbury Rd? They must all be supporting Man City or Chelsea on their sky boxes. :lol:

The attitude on here makes me despair far more than the bloody manager.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:56 pm

saddla wrote:So, let me get this right. If we don't beat the only team in the whole of the football league who haven't lost a game all season, we have a really crap manager who needs to be sacked?
The team that's beaten Wigan, Scunthorpe and Southend in the last month? They must have crap managers too then :roll:

And if by some miracle we happen to be the only team in the league to beat them it's only papering over the cracks?

What happened to all the smiling faces going down the Wednesbury Rd? They must all be supporting Man City or Chelsea on their sky boxes. :lol:

I agree but that doesn't mean he is blameless and it doesn't mean he is exempt from the sack.

It's got nothing to do with one game against Shrewsbury but everything to do with where we are in the league and where we have been at for the last two years. He hasn't had one game against Shrewsbury he's had 11 games against various teams of League One quality and we are below par. This is a man trying to build on a very average season, one that we may have improved aesthetically on (in my opinion) but not in terms of results. He's had plenty of time.

And I get labelled a *shudder* clapper.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:48 pm

From the Wary ewe site.

We should be beating the likes of Walsall.

How low has Jon dragged us.

tinned
Site Addict

Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:10 pm

saddla wrote:So, let me get this right. If we don't beat the only team in the whole of the football league who haven't lost a game all season, we have a really crap manager who needs to be sacked?

No, win, lose or draw we have a crap manager. Results/statistics/performances prove this to be the case.

Keep clapping.

saddla
Site Addict

Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:15 pm

tinned wrote:

No, win, lose or draw we have a crap manager. Results/statistics/performances prove this to be the case.

Keep clapping.

then there's 8 managers who are worse than Whitney. They must be because they're below us in the league.
Keep booing

tinned
Site Addict

Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:25 pm

saddla wrote:
tinned wrote:

Keep clapping.

then there's 8 managers who are worse than Whitney. They must be because they're below us in the league.
Keep booing

I don't give a monkey's about other teams/managers. They can make their own decisions.

What an outlook, happy with things because there happens to be teams slightly worse than us.

Keep Whitney and see how many are worse come May.

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:45 pm

tinned wrote:Keep Whitney and see how many are worse come May.

More than likely mid table, so probably improving between now and then

Micky Saddler
UTS Veteran

Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:06 am

Somebody get this man a beer!!

Amen!.............

What hope do we have of winning taking this rubbish into every match. Nice one saddla.

tinned
Site Addict

Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:20 pm

The Saddlers Happy Clappers Club on their recent meeting discussing our current form and Whitney's performance as a football manager.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:24 pm

tinned wrote:Image

The Saddlers Happy Clappers Club on their recent meeting discussing our current form and Whitney's performance as a football manager.

That's Saddla, the one with his head in the sand!

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:54 pm

Micky Saddler wrote:

Somebody get this man a beer!!

Amen!.............

What hope do we have of winning taking this rubbish into every match. Nice one saddla.

Completely agree - here's hoping for a win but let's face it Shrewsbury are very, very good this year.

Meanwhile our more fickle fans have had their meeting too -

tinned
Site Addict

Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:05 pm

Wanting Walsall to be great is a bad thing?

Is it much better to keep quiet about what's going wrong at the club and accept our slow decline?

Strange :?

scott_powell
Site Addict

Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:56 pm

Shrewsbury are clearly a very good team and are where they are on merit. Win, lose or draw ... It's does not change that I still want JW out. I hope we win. I hope we batter them. If we do, Whitney out.

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:57 pm

I guess my picture was meant to highlight that those fans in the Whitney out camp might at times be being a little hysterical - like for example when he made a perfectly reasonable (and based on his expertise as a former PHYSIO, professional) assessment about our players being tired on Tuesday night some lost their mind...
Whereas, equally and quite acceptably, your picture highlights that within the Whitney in camp some are perhaps being a little too "if I pretend likes it's not happening it isn't."

That being said I don't think we're going through a slow decline, I think we're exactly where we've always been with our focus ahead rather than over our shoulder. Feels fine, not amazing - not awful (happy to see how things pan out for the moment - looks like it could go either way).

Finally - Walsall 2 - 1 Shrews (Roberts, Bakayoko (late)).

UTS!

ChopperWFC
UTS Veteran

Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:00 pm

We had better win. Not for any of the arguments above but because I properly hate Shrews . Up the Saddlers

Micky Saddler
UTS Veteran

Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:28 pm

scott_powell wrote:Shrewsbury are clearly a very good team and are where they are on merit. Win, lose or draw ... It's does not change that I still want JW out. I hope we win. I hope we batter them. If we do, Whitney out.

Valid. That's the way to be.

Not screaming how crap we are and how we are going to tits before the balls been kicked..

On a hiding to nothing if people do that

scott_powell
Site Addict

Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:38 pm

Micky Saddler wrote:
scott_powell wrote:Shrewsbury are clearly a very good team and are where they are on merit. Win, lose or draw ... It's does not change that I still want JW out. I hope we win. I hope we batter them. If we do, Whitney out.

Valid. That's the way to be.

Not screaming how crap we are and how we are going to tits before the balls been kicked..

On a hiding to nothing if people do that

Losing will not increase my dislike of Whitney. They are top and deserve to be so it's a tough ask to beat them. I will be very pissed off if we lose because I hate them (and bragging rights at work) but like I said, it's JW out even if we win. I will get behind the team from the first second as I always do and I will express my satisfaction/dissatisfaction once the final whistle blows.

BigSillyFool

Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:02 pm

Travelling from Wrexham on the train for this one so that's going to be fun. If anyone knows of a website where I can download/print off match reports from the '73 league cup fixture I'll spread a few copies round the train before reaching Salop just to remind them of their rightful place!

Would love a 1-0 win with the ball going in of their centre back's arse in the 6th minute of injury time but have a feeling I'm in for one of the most depressing journeys home from a football match since Pompey put 5 past us in the pissing rain at Fratton Park on a Tuesday night 18 years ago.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:38 pm

Feck it, 2-1 Walsall.

Apparently some bookies have priced Sloppies to win at 9/5. :shock:

Next
Return to 2017-18 Season