Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Shrewsbury Town (H) League One, 7th Oct 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Re: Shrewsbury Town (H) League One, 7th Oct 3pm

Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:16 pm

Fair result.

Shrewsbury wont stay top, they weren't able to score 2 past us, nuff said.

Kory Roberts was good, reads the game well, would like to see how he performs in a 4 man defence.

Referee and linesman on the Banks's stand side were quite frankly awful.

Morris is really struggling in that central role when we play 5-3-2, and Devlin hasn't got a right or left foot, everything just goes off at diagonals.

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:22 pm

I admit it wasn't a great performance today but to be totally fair - we did reasonably well against what I thought was a team playing to their strengths and full of confidence..

A great goal from us should ave given us a platform to build on but what do we do? Let them get straight at us and concede another penalty - amazing lack of focus in my opinion.. 8 so far this season must be some sort of record...

That said - I'm more than happy with a point today but it could have been very different story if the ref had been fair and encouraged open play rather than blowing every 20 seconds for a seemingly invisible incident resulting in a shrews free kick. He ruined what could have been a very good game and he ironically missed 3 clear hand balls (one from us) which everyone else seemed to see :shock:

Thought Kory played very well and deserved the motm award but I am gobsmacked that we feel Morris is good enough at this level to be picking him week in week out- he's plain lucky to be starting in my opinion.. UTS

Sadsfan
Glitterati

Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:33 pm

There's not really much of an option not to play Morris, the alternatives in midfield would have been Flanagan or Kouyar - not great options!

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:37 pm

Have to agree with many of the comments given here so far.

JW did have a game plan, but to be honest watching us impersonate the so-called Republic of Ireland was appalling.
We made some random farmers look like Brazil in comparison and they were nowhere near their hype. Don't tell me they are good.
Despite our dreadful middle 70 minutes, we still could have turned them over in the first 10 and last 10.

Gillespie - meh.

Roberts - deserved MOTM, head and shoulders above far more experienced colleagues
Guthrie - generally good, can't really comment on the penalty as I didn't get a clear view.
Wilson - sound, these three were as good as it got, but we still can't keep a clean sheet.

Devlin - mixed!
Leahy - if I see another right winger given a 20yd exclusion zone, I will have Sharps framed for his murder.*

Morris - or him, as long he can't manage a 5yd pass to a team mate.*
Oztumer - utterly woeful set pieces.
Edwards - meh, with sunny intervals.

Bakayoko - mildly more animated than recently, which is slightly encouraging.
Ageyi - wonder goal, got a standing ovation when subbed which tells its own story.

Subs

Terry Lobster - is the best forward at the club by a country mile. His 20m cameo almost gave us the points.

Special mentions:

Very impressed to see a healthy away following for their cup final.
Had to laugh at the smoke bomb and stewards dealing with the culprit.
That marvellous referee, what a fine fellow he was. I must get him a Christmas card - laced with anthrax.*
The man who headed the ball back from the Text OAP stand - and the other one aged 200 who tried to beat it with his stick.

Today's absolute highlight:

Stefan 'Look at me, mom' Payne absolutely spazzing one wide from an inch out. Offside or not, it was the highlight of the season for me.

[* clearly jocular remarks, put the phone down to your lawyers.]

UTS Legend

Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:41 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:If Walsall only played home games they wouldn't be far off top 6.

Criticise Whitney all you like but Bradford, Peterbrough, Charlton and Sloppies have all come to Bescot and none have won. Some of those teams will be finishing in the play offs this season.

Sadly the away form is very much bottom 6 and that's the key, how do you get the players to perform at the same level away from the West Midlands?

Good to see the strikers are scoring regularly aswell, Agyei and Tyler Roberts (Ithought he was with Wales under 21s?) have nearly as many already as Baka and Jackson managed whole of last season which says something.

Should Guthrie have been sent off? I thought handling by the line was a clear red card.

Yes, he played in Liechtenstein on Thursday. Wales-U21 do not have another game this international break, so we got him back. Perhaps that's why he didn't start for us.

UTS Legend

Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:53 pm

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:42 pm

Guest wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:If Walsall only played home games they wouldn't be far off top 6.

Criticise Whitney all you like but Bradford, Peterbrough, Charlton and Sloppies have all come to Bescot and none have won. Some of those teams will be finishing in the play offs this season.

Sadly the away form is very much bottom 6 and that's the key, how do you get the players to perform at the same level away from the West Midlands?

Good to see the strikers are scoring regularly aswell, Agyei and Tyler Roberts (Ithought he was with Wales under 21s?) have nearly as many already as Baka and Jackson managed whole of last season which says something.

Should Guthrie have been sent off? I thought handling by the line was a clear red card.

Yes, he played in Liechtenstein on Thursday. Wales-U21 do not have another game this international break, so we got him back. Perhaps that's why he didn't start for us.

Ahh so he flew back in time but probably didn't have a training session in the build up.

Agyei and Roberts HAVE to start together next week...those two are full of goals.

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:36 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
Guest wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:Great result.

Mass suicides outside Morrison's should be put on hold for at least another week.

Why wait? You know it's going to happen...

Apparently it should have happened in August. :D
I wonder what the tipping point will be. Perhaps he'll fail to hold the door for someone or wear odd socks. :x

Must be getting close to that point, scott has helpfully spotted some rather disturbing movements in our core fan base rational as we move towards the edge of reason. Expect nothing less than a total emotional breakdown after the Blackpool game as the Whitney outs, armed with Muslim ray guns, march headlong into the changing rooms to demand Whitney's sacrifice on the alter of the Matty Fryatt Hotel.

scott_powell wrote: We have gone backwards as supporters

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:42 pm

PT wrote:I really enjoyed it to be honest. It was tough stuff, ugly stuff but that's what Derby in the third division should look and feel like.

They brought a crowd, they made some noise, they even brought smoke and it felt like the biggest home crowd of the season too.

Kory Roberts was superb, Oztumer anonymous in that type of game, but that's no excuse for his poor delivery from set-pieces.

Great goal for us and this week it was the 18th minute when we decided to give the pen away. Guthrie was all at sea in the lead up to it. Then the ref was all at sea after he gave it. Once he's given the pen, he has to send the defender off there. Hand ball has to be deliberate and if you have adjudicated on a hand ball against a defender in that position it has to be red, whether you like the double jeopardy of it or not.

Anyway, blood and thunder, not very pretty but apart from the pitch being very green that was the sort of game against these from thirty or forty years ago.

Exactly

This is what I mean about entertaining

I get what people are saying about the style of play and yes it was very good technically to make 20 sideways passes and then a backpass to etheridge under smith and I was proud of our possession stats back then but I think games this year have more incident and are more open and remind me of the end to end stuff I loved at fellows park. Together with a strong home record this year makes going to the banks' s more enjoyable.

Yes Whitney comes out with some howlers like the tired legs gate but more experienced and rated managers come out with rubbish like smith saying Ashley grimes was the best finisher he'd seen.

Sorry that I'm enjoying it but it's just an interesting season could turn either way but we have just come through a wicked set of games with only 1 defeat

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:50 pm

You don't have to apologise for saying you are enjoying our home games COWSHED....many others are too. One thing we do get is a team that plays for 90 minutes and more. Ok it is not as skilful as in recent seasons but the Charlton games was of the best I have seen in the past few years. Today wasn't so exciting as the teams cancelled each other out but it was close, tough and full of incident..AS you posted before we have a gem in Tyler and I just hope we we keep him for the whole season.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:58 pm

Why are people glossing over the fact we conceded ANOTHER PENALTY. Something is SERIOUSLY wrong here.

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:59 pm

I have enjoyed a number of games we have played this season.
Unfortunately, I can't bear us playing this lump it in the corner routine.
We haven't played like that any other time and I don't see why we needed to do it today.

Having now seen the penalty, does anyone else think it only happened because of 'Look at me, mom's' push on Guthrie.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:12 pm

Looks a clear push to me LEICS........however I am not sure the referee could see it...the Assistant should have seen it though. Incidentally people have posted about a red card but didn't the rules change last season in that preventing a goal is punishable only by a penalty unless violent conduct is involved? Any referees care to comment?

UTS Legend

Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:09 am

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:37 am

Walsallone wrote:Looks a clear push to me LEICS........however I am not sure the referee could see it...the Assistant should have seen it though. Incidentally people have posted about a red card but didn't the rules change last season in that preventing a goal is punishable only by a penalty unless violent conduct is involved? Any referees care to comment?

They were talking about this in commentary and Mick Kearns said the law has changed so that denying a clear goal scoring opportunity is only a red card if it is outside the area, In the area giving a penalty and sending off would be considered as double jeopardy. They also thought Guthrie had probably been pushed before the handball.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:57 am

Thanks HULL.......I was nearly right :)

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:03 am

Cowshed wrote:
PT wrote:I really enjoyed it to be honest. It was tough stuff, ugly stuff but that's what Derby in the third division should look and feel like.

They brought a crowd, they made some noise, they even brought smoke and it felt like the biggest home crowd of the season too.

Kory Roberts was superb, Oztumer anonymous in that type of game, but that's no excuse for his poor delivery from set-pieces.

Great goal for us and this week it was the 18th minute when we decided to give the pen away. Guthrie was all at sea in the lead up to it. Then the ref was all at sea after he gave it. Once he's given the pen, he has to send the defender off there. Hand ball has to be deliberate and if you have adjudicated on a hand ball against a defender in that position it has to be red, whether you like the double jeopardy of it or not.

Anyway, blood and thunder, not very pretty but apart from the pitch being very green that was the sort of game against these from thirty or forty years ago.

Exactly

This is what I mean about entertaining

I get what people are saying about the style of play and yes it was very good technically to make 20 sideways passes and then a backpass to etheridge under smith and I was proud of our possession stats back then but I think games this year have more incident and are more open and remind me of the end to end stuff I loved at fellows park. Together with a strong home record this year makes going to the banks' s more enjoyable.

Yes Whitney comes out with some howlers like the tired legs gate but more experienced and rated managers come out with rubbish like smith saying Ashley grimes was the best finisher he'd seen.

Sorry that I'm enjoying it but it's just an interesting season could turn either way but we have just come through a wicked set of games with only 1 defeat

Heretic! Persecute the blasphemer! :shock: :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

Get with the Programme Cowshed, we're having a collective spaz about the Whitney results, ok not the results ... I'm sure they'll be something in the post match interview to raise the ire of the Big Brother House Eviction tugfest. :D

cumbria-saddler
Glitterati

Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:34 am

I enjoyed the game yesterday, thought we played fairly well against a team in form and unbeaten, and certainly the best performance I've seen this season (although that's probably no feat as I've been to Sheff Utd, Rotherham and Wigan).

Really like Agyei, he gets stuck in against defenders, runs at them with the ball, and scored a brilliant goal. I also liked his rugby tackle in the first half :lol:

The defence were fairly solid, and Kory Roberts was superb. He doesn't go flying into defenders as a Butler or Matt Preston would, but I lost count of the number of times he intercepted the ball before the forwards even got it, he was strong in the air considering he isn't too tall, cleared one off the line, and he was calm on the ball too, didn't look to go long with it. The penalty record is alarming though, is that 7 or 8 in 15 games?

As others have said, I would like to see Agyei and Tyler Roberts up front together, although can't really blame Whitney for going with Bakayoko if Roberts played on Thursday. He looked lively when he came on.

I don't really mind if the style of football is changing, as long as games are entertaining and/or results come, and at home we seem to be doing fairly well.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:29 am

HOOOOOFFFFFFFF

Down the channels and hope it seemed for a lot of the game.

He took the wrong forward off too.... Give Dan and Ty a starting roll up front.... DA was seriously pissed off with Whitney when he came off... and who can blame him... "Why me" was his constant saying.

Ozzy was lost with this style of plat... and if this is the "Winning ugly" he was on about I dow like it.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:47 am

SoccerHQ wrote:Have Roberts and Agyei actually started together yet?

Seems obvious to me given both can actually score and are different types of striker.

Didn't you know that you are not supposed to suggest that? Roberts was in the Wales under 21's on Thursday so couldn't be picked.............so we are told by folk who are 'in the know'.

HAS to be the ideal starting twosome, would strike fear into most 3rd Division defences, sure we will still continue to let 'em in at the back at an alarming rate...we have to give away at least one penalty in every match...it's the law, but by crikey we could score a few too, which would be amazing to watch for a change.
But, of course he will continue to play Baka, because he runs around a lot in training! :?

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:05 am

If what was on show yesterday is the future of how we're going to play we may as well get rid of Oztumer now. Hoofball with Oztumer is literally like playing with 10 men. Imagine having a manager who plays a style which alienates one of the best players at your club .... that's right, our prick of a manager.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:33 pm

scott_powell wrote:If what was on show yesterday is the future of how we're going to play we may as well get rid of Oztumer now. Hoofball with Oztumer is literally like playing with 10 men. Imagine having a manager who plays a style which alienates one of the best players at your club .... that's right, our prick of a manager.

Oztumer has played his best football of his career under this manager.

He also won't be here next season regardless.

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:39 pm

scott_powell wrote:If what was on show yesterday is the future of how we're going to play we may as well get rid of Oztumer now. Hoofball with Oztumer is literally like playing with 10 men. Imagine having a manager who plays a style which alienates one of the best players at your club .... that's right, our prick of a manager.

I know where you are coming from Scott. I was wondering whether playing the ball long was a ploy to push their defence back, to then give Ozzie some space to do his magic. I can't believe we intended to play as ineptly as we actually did on purpose.

I don't know with Whitney. The performances against Sheff U and Bristol R last season were excellent and maybe an indication what he wants to do, but just can't get the players to do it on regular basis.

I do know I spent yesterday wishing SMITHIN was in charge. Really miss the way we controlled the games under him.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:48 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:

A manager who hadn't fully stamped his philosophy on the team until this season. Yesterday Oztumer may as well had not been playing.

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:20 pm

I really dislike hoof ball but who am I to say what style of play is best for each individual game.

Surely the job of a manager and his team is to know the opposition and their style of play and to use tactics which disrupt teams who are in good form and playing with confidence.

It makes no difference that we are at home and if we think Shrewsbury should be relegation fodder, the fact is that they have not lost this season, have only let in more than 1 goal once and have beaten teams who will probably finish top 6.

Almost any football fan would be happy with a draw before the game regardless of the type of play, which was certainly entertaining if nothing else, so I would imaging that most people were happy after the game.

You will always get the odd one or two serious fans still complaining but that's life.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:48 pm

Optimistic wrote:I really dislike hoof ball but who am I to say what style of play is best for each individual game.

Surely the job of a manager and his team is to know the opposition and their style of play and to use tactics which disrupt teams who are in good form and playing with confidence.

It makes no difference that we are at home and if we think Shrewsbury should be relegation fodder, the fact is that they have not lost this season, have only let in more than 1 goal once and have beaten teams who will probably finish top 6.

Almost any football fan would be happy with a draw before the game regardless of the type of play, which was certainly entertaining if nothing else, so I would imaging that most people were happy after the game.

You will always get the odd one or two serious fans still complaining but that's life.

Apparently if you share this kind of ridiculous attitude on some social media arenas you instantly become: Happy Clapper Number One, Archduke Franz Happyclapper the First, The ultimate happyclapper, Captain Gladhands etc.

Also, Shrewsbury are cack, are going down and the result is meaningless. You've bin told. :D :wink:

UTS Legend

Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:59 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:Have Roberts and Agyei actually started together yet?

Seems obvious to me given both can actually score and are different types of striker.

Didn't you know that you are not supposed to suggest that? Roberts was in the Wales under 21's on Thursday so couldn't be picked.............so we are told by folk who are 'in the know'.

HAS to be the ideal starting twosome, would strike fear into most 3rd Division defences, sure we will still continue to let 'em in at the back at an alarming rate...we have to give away at least one penalty in every match...it's the law, but by crikey we could score a few too, which would be amazing to watch for a change.
But, of course he will continue to play Baka, because he runs around a lot in training! :?

I didn't realise the Express and Star was so exclusive that it could only be read in HK, AM.

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/fo ... -u21-call/

Anyway, Roberts was not only in the squad in Liechtenstein but played the whole 90 minutes.

(PS I gave you a hint of this when I told you in the Coventry thread that Agyei would definitely start yesterday.) :D

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:58 pm

scott_powell wrote:Why are people glossing over the fact we conceded ANOTHER PENALTY. Something is SERIOUSLY wrong here.

Clearly we are now the subject of a Far East betting scam and I wonder if our representative in Saigon may throw more light onto this. 8)

Sadsfan
Glitterati

Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:11 pm

Saigon, I would say that looking at it from the outside things don't look too bad, however actually watching it you can see how poor it is. That is not in anyway meant to criticise you , but I do think you need to take into account the views of people who are attending. And maybe those who are attending need to take into account how things look from the outside, just a thought!

saddla
Site Addict

Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:23 pm

scott_powell wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:

A manager who hadn't fully stamped his philosophy on the team until this season. Yesterday Oztumer may as well had not been playing.

I know you don't really understand football tactics Scott so I'll try to explain those used on Saturday by both teams in the hope of educating you a little.

We set up with 3 at the back to play possession football as we have on a few occasions this season.. The counter to this style of play is to press higher up the field so the opposition midfield don't get time on the ball. It's difficult to do this for 90 mins as your players have to run around a lot. Shrewsbury are rather good at this so we had to change our style very early on. The answer to the press is to play the ball over the midfield for our two big forwards to run onto.

I hope that helps you understand a little better.

I'm only winding you up of course. :wink:

PreviousNext
Return to 2017-18 Season