Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Shrewsbury Town (H) League One, 7th Oct 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Re: Shrewsbury Town (H) League One, 7th Oct 3pm

Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:35 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:Have Roberts and Agyei actually started together yet?

Seems obvious to me given both can actually score and are different types of striker.

Didn't you know that you are not supposed to suggest that? Roberts was in the Wales under 21's on Thursday so couldn't be picked.............so we are told by folk who are 'in the know'.

HAS to be the ideal starting twosome, would strike fear into most 3rd Division defences, sure we will still continue to let 'em in at the back at an alarming rate...we have to give away at least one penalty in every match...it's the law, but by crikey we could score a few too, which would be amazing to watch for a change.
But, of course he will continue to play Baka, because he runs around a lot in training! :?

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:40 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:

Seems obvious to me given both can actually score and are different types of striker.

Didn't you know that you are not supposed to suggest that? Roberts was in the Wales under 21's on Thursday so couldn't be picked.............so we are told by folk who are 'in the know'.

HAS to be the ideal starting twosome, would strike fear into most 3rd Division defences, sure we will still continue to let 'em in at the back at an alarming rate...we have to give away at least one penalty in every match...it's the law, but by crikey we could score a few too, which would be amazing to watch for a change.
But, of course he will continue to play Baka, because he runs around a lot in training! :?

I think Baka got his 5th booking against Shrews so should get this combo when he is suspended unless we find Jackson somewhere.

Sadsfan
Glitterati

Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:41 pm

saddla wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:
scott_powell wrote:If what was on show yesterday is the future of how we're going to play we may as well get rid of Oztumer now. Hoofball with Oztumer is literally like playing with 10 men. Imagine having a manager who plays a style which alienates one of the best players at your club .... that's right, our prick of a manager.

Oztumer has played his best football of his career under this manager.

He also won't be here next season regardless.

A manager who hadn't fully stamped his philosophy on the team until this season. Yesterday Oztumer may as well had not been playing.

I know you don't really understand football tactics Scott so I'll try to explain those used on Saturday by both teams in the hope of educating you a little.

We set up with 3 at the back to play possession football as we have on a few occasions this season.. The counter to this style of play is to press higher up the field so the opposition midfield don't get time on the ball. It's difficult to do this for 90 mins as your players have to run around a lot. Shrewsbury are rather good at this so we had to change our style very early on. The answer to the press is to play the ball over the midfield for our two big forwards to run onto.

I hope that helps you understand a little better.

I'm only winding you up of course. :wink:

Did the formation change have anything to do with Chambers being missing?

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:46 pm

scott_powell wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:
scott_powell wrote:If what was on show yesterday is the future of how we're going to play we may as well get rid of Oztumer now. Hoofball with Oztumer is literally like playing with 10 men. Imagine having a manager who plays a style which alienates one of the best players at your club .... that's right, our prick of a manager.

A manager who hadn't fully stamped his philosophy on the team until this season. Yesterday Oztumer may as well had not been playing.

Oztumer played badly. Whether this was because of the system or because he had a rare bad day is a matter of opinion . Crap corner taking is not down to tactics and it was indicative of his overall performance yesterday. Either way, should have been taken off and replaced with Zeli.

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:59 pm

reedswood sadler wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:

if Roberts wasn't on international duty I reckon he would have started yesterday. Roberts and Agyei up front against Blackpool next week is a must for me.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:00 pm

DonningtonSaddler wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:

Oztumer played badly. Whether this was because of the system or because he had a rare bad day is a matter of opinion . Crap corner taking is not down to tactics and it was indicative of his overall performance yesterday. Either way, should have been taken off and replaced with Zeli.

I think it was down to a bad day at the office and the tactics. His corners were shocking but he was very rarely in the game as everything was 30 foot over his head. I agree though, I'd have bought Zeli on for him. Possibly even Roberts for him and kept Agyei on

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:27 pm

Sadsfan wrote:Saigon, I would say that looking at it from the outside things don't look too bad, however actually watching it you can see how poor it is. That is not in anyway meant to criticise you , but I do think you need to take into account the views of people who are attending. And maybe those who are attending need to take into account how things look from the outside, just a thought!

Fair comment.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:28 pm

Cowshed wrote:
scott_powell wrote:Why are people glossing over the fact we conceded ANOTHER PENALTY. Something is SERIOUSLY wrong here.

Clearly we are now the subject of a Far East betting scam and I wonder if our representative in Saigon may throw more light onto this. 8)

How else I supposed to fund my travels? :D

Penalty for us next week. Have to keep the accumulator going! :idea:

PT
Site Addict

Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:04 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
Cowshed wrote:
scott_powell wrote:Why are people glossing over the fact we conceded ANOTHER PENALTY. Something is SERIOUSLY wrong here.

Clearly we are now the subject of a Far East betting scam and I wonder if our representative in Saigon may throw more light onto this. 8)

The penalty concessions are manifestations of a dysfunctional defence. Forwards finding themselves the wrong side and rank bad decision making by defenders.

Ian Sharps?

scott_powell
Site Addict

Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:21 am

Forgot to mention, I thought Jon Nolan for Shrewsbury was fantastic Saturday. He was everywhere. Controlled. Quick minded. Skillful. A joy to watch.

chunkster
Site Addict

Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:59 pm

PT wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:
Cowshed wrote:

The penalty concessions are manifestations of a dysfunctional defence. Forwards finding themselves the wrong side and rank bad decision making by defenders.

Ian Sharps?
you may have to put quite a packet on because they have slashed the odds :lol: it may be more profitable to bet on there not being a penalty now :lol:

kshammer
Site Addict

Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:03 pm

scott_powell wrote:Forgot to mention, I thought Jon Nolan for Shrewsbury was fantastic Saturday. He was everywhere. Controlled. Quick minded. Skillful. A joy to watch.

Said the same thing to my mate. Was involved in everything - best player on the pitch by a mile on Saturday.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:37 pm

kshammer wrote:
scott_powell wrote:Forgot to mention, I thought Jon Nolan for Shrewsbury was fantastic Saturday. He was everywhere. Controlled. Quick minded. Skillful. A joy to watch.

Said the same thing to my mate. Was involved in everything - best player on the pitch by a mile on Saturday.

Definitely. Surprised he's not been mentioned more on here. The exact player we could do with. Picked up all second balls and was so composed.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:46 pm

Apparently the ref didn't send off Guthrie because he didn't know which Walsall player handled.

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:11 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:Apparently the ref didn't send off Guthrie because he didn't know which Walsall player handled.

That mupet Iain Dowie said that Saturday afternoon.
He said the Ref was confused.com :lol:

Previous
Return to 2017-18 Season