Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Wigan Athletic (A) 30th Sept, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
scott_powell
Site Addict

Re: Wigan Athletic (A) 30th Sept, 3pm

Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:10 pm

Walsallone wrote:W3 D4 L4.....not a good start but not the worst either SCOTT. I hope we can do better and we might as we have some good players but if you expect us to win every week you will continue to be disappointed.

Did I say I expect us to win every week?

All I expect is my team to be managed my someone who can effectively manage. Not someone learning on the job. I don't mind losing, I do mind incompetence though.

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:35 pm

[quote="leics_saddler"]Right, this is getting silly now.

Any position between 7th and 20th, JW sees out his contract.
Relegation, he won't. Chambers will probably end up as player-manager until they can find some more money.

Therefore, any result that contributes is either a success or a 'learning experience'.
I do hope he is learning a lo
I
An accurate summing up of JW and his contract only relegation will see any chance of him going so we might as well get used to it.

The problem with second point is he is not learning he is no longer a rookie manager and yet is still making same mistakes.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:28 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:
Tom_1992 wrote:Yesterday was the same as so many other defeats under Whitney on the road. When will he learn that playing the same team until we lose isn't a sustainable or remotely positive way to go about things?

It could quite easily have been 4 or 5, if Wigan had been more clinical, 16 games without a clean sheet and 6 penalties conceded doesn't exactly point towards the "solid base" Whitney was looking to build.

I actually think there's a decent squad there, for example; Oztumer, T. Roberts, Agyei and Ismail are all excellent players in this division, I just don't think JW can find a way to get the most out of them. Sure we'll have the odd good week like Oxford, but disasters like Rotherham always seem to be just around the corner. The most telling thing is just how unenthusiastic the support was yesterday, simply because there was absolutely nothing on the pitch to get excited about. Wigan are a decent side, but are they that good that we have to practically defend on our penalty spot whilst hoofing it to Roberts and Oztumer? Maybe if we tried to pass the ball to their feet, instead of letting them challenge against the 6ft 5 Dan Burn, we might have had a shot on target before the 85 minute.

Saigon? please note that it is not just me!!

I mentioned on another thread that a Roberts/Agyie combination up front was the answer to our current feeble attack
options, but it would appear only WE can see this, Whitney is unable to grasp this simple equation, no doubt he will continue to keep picking combinations that don't work until it is too late. We HAVE to be strong up front cus our defence will continue to let in goals, that should be obvious, even to Whitney.

AM no-one else consistently delivers on going beyond exploring the finer details of the worst case scenario than your good self.

Have a free picture in recognition ... :D

There you go again soft-soaping me, just when I was in deepest Moaning Old Git mode! Putty in your hands! :lol: :lol: :lol:

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:11 pm

scott_powell wrote:
Walsallone wrote:W3 D4 L4.....not a good start but not the worst either SCOTT. I hope we can do better and we might as we have some good players but if you expect us to win every week you will continue to be disappointed.

Did I say I expect us to win every week?

All I expect is my team to be managed my someone who can effectively manage. Not someone learning on the job. I don't mind losing, I do mind incompetence though.

We've had "if you expect us to win every week you'll be disappointed". Next we will have "I bet you're happy when we lose so you can have a moan". Their arguments are starting to unravel.

#whiteneyout #ashamedofmyself

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:15 pm

Complaining about Whitney feels like a waste of breath for me. He's not a great manager - not as bad as some make out though - but I'm more frustrated by the utter lack of sporting ambition from the man in charge of our club. Provided the profit keeps ticking over and he gets his rent, I don't think he really cares where we finish.

Sure, he'd no doubt like promotion - the same way I'd like to marry Wonder Woman; i'm not going to do anything to make it happen and neither is he.

Pretty disillusioned with things right now. I expect the board will quietly forget the "top half is minimum requirement" comment after we finish 15th, the same way they forgot all that talk of a promotion push last season.

Whitters
Site Addict

Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:56 pm

pumajaguar wrote:Complaining about Whitney feels like a waste of breath for me. He's not a great manager - not as bad as some make out though - but I'm more frustrated by the utter lack of sporting ambition from the man in charge of our club. Provided the profit keeps ticking over and he gets his rent, I don't think he really cares where we finish.

Sure, he'd no doubt like promotion - the same way I'd like to marry Wonder Woman; i'm not going to do anything to make it happen and neither is he.

Pretty disillusioned with things right now. I expect the board will quietly forget the "top half is minimum requirement" comment after we finish 15th, the same way they forgot all that talk of a promotion push last season.

Exactly.
Always look to the top when there are problems.

Maybe the structure needs looking at while we're at it to try and generate some excitement for more punters.
Lower league stuff is being played out in stadiums permanently less than half full so there is a problem.
And it won't be solved by Checkatrade Cup tampering.
That's like rearranging the deck chairs.
What about making the leagues smaller and having a fifth division with existing league clubs, no new ones?

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:30 pm

We are just little old Walsall, and every time we get into anything like a promotion or decent position we must remember that we are punching above our weight :|

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:47 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:Image

There you go again soft-soaping me, just when I was in deepest Moaning Old Git mode! Putty in your hands! :lol: :lol: :lol:

NOBODY wants to be soft-soaped by Saigon...

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:28 am

Exile wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:

NOBODY wants to be soft-soaped by Saigon...

Well, not after the inevitable mental scars of a first time. :D

Previous
Return to 2017-18 Season